ESPN Story on OC Mike Leach 1999 BlowU Game

LTtxfan

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

I did that at the 2003 game. I thought it was going to be great. It sucked.

I was sitting on the front row behind the Texas bench at about the 20, I think. It was a PITA except for when the TV camera tractor was in front of us and we could watch replays.

23 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

This was the verbatim opening plays in 2010 RRS

This may be the year I was actually thinking of... Greg Davis offenses against OU kind of run together.

If you don't remember this, skip to 17:00 and watch our first two plays.  Davis said in the press conference that he was trying to build Gilbert's confidence by completing a couple of early passes.

That’s one chapter of a novel on how Stoops played Mack & Co like a fucking fiddle.

Those 6ixty something to piss beatings were far more than the playing field.  Mack & cronies were lazy ass pussies that happen to recruit some high quality talent.

Stoops chugs cocks, but if we are going to war I’m lining up with him, Mack wouldn’t make it out of the mess tent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

What in the holy fuck possessed me to watch that?

I remember 2010 with such clarity and rage...that OU game was a microcosm for everything that fans bitched about. We started off with quick pass left to the sidelines tacked for 2 yard loss, then quick pass right tackled for a 2 yard loss, then we were in 3rd and 14. Didn't pass to the sticks and tackled short of the marker on our opening possession down 0-7. It was everything I could do not to throw something through my TV

3 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

I remember 2010 with such clarity and rage...that OU game was a microcosm for everything that fans bitched about. We started off with quick pass left to the sidelines tacked for 2 yard loss, then quick pass right tackled for a 2 yard loss, then we were in 3rd and 14. Didn't pass to the sticks and tackled short of the marker on our opening possession down 0-7. It was everything I could do not to throw something through my TV

There were audible boo's throughout the Texas side of the stadium after the 2nd straight screen pass.    It was fucking maddening.

"Those decoy scripts layin' on the ground over there just scare you to death, then when you pick them up and are stupid enough to use them, the fear and trembling just go through the roof!"

Leach just figured he was dealing with the lower end of the Mayberry RFD gene pool, so why the fuck not try?

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 1

random 0u trapmetrics:

I somehow pulled 45 yardline on the aisle 40 rows up in '88.

My all-time record is 0-6-1.

I have never seen a Horn victory over 0u in person dating back to my first game ('78).

It's very difficult to pick 7 random games over the course of 40+ years and roll snake eyes.

I really do want to attend a win.

I'm not going this year.

10 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

random 0u trapmetrics:

I somehow pulled 45 yardline on the aisle 40 rows up in '88.

My all-time record is 0-6-1.

I have never seen a Horn victory over 0u in person dating back to my first game ('78).

It's very difficult to pick 7 random games over the course of 40+ years and roll snake eyes.

I really do want to attend a win.

I'm not going this year.

Thank goodness. Stay away, asshole. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

And I remember it being hot as fuck for that 11am kick in 99. So hungover and trying to get it going again, was drinking a flask of hot Jim beam and smoking bowls right under that huge Dr Pepper sign on the back row of the stadium around the 35 yd line. Shitshow doesn’t begin to explain it. Good times

‘99 kicked at 2:30. You’re probably thinking of ‘98, which was when they started with that 11am nonsense 

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

I remember distinctly the morning of the 1999 game, but clearly I was wrong and hpslugga was right after checking a couple of places. The mind is a crazy place.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bluto said:

Ah you’re right. I just remembered 1998 being a huge break from the norm as it was a 2:30 damn near every year if not literally every year prior to that.

Edited by hpslugga

10 hours ago, Skipper said:

There were audible boo's throughout the Texas side of the stadium after the 2nd straight screen pass.    It was fucking maddening.

I was at that game, at about the 30 yard line on the Texas side, row 5.  Snuck into it.  After that 2nd negative pass play, my female friend grabbed my flask of whiskey and chugged the entire length.

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I was at that game, at about the 30 yard line on the Texas side, row 5.  Snuck into it.  After that 2nd negative pass play, my female friend grabbed my flask of whiskey and chugged the entire length.

a premonition, was it?

18 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

And I remember it being hot as fuck for that 11am kick in 99. So hungover and trying to get it going again, was drinking a flask of hot Jim beam and smoking bowls right under that huge Dr Pepper sign on the back row of the stadium around the 35 yd line. Shitshow doesn’t begin to explain it. Good times

Ha we were sitting on the back at that game, too! The banner that was hung back there was tied so that you had to sit awkwardly in front of it bent over. Me an another guy on the row cut the ropes holding the bottom and tied them up to something, although I can't remember what now.

as this story winds its way around the Internet, to different fanbases via SB Nation/etc, I feel like the fact that Texas kicked the fucking shit out of OU that day is getting lost in the amusement over Leach's antics

the ruse worked, OU jumped out to a 17-0 lead, and Texas then outscored OU 38-11 the rest of the way

the end

• 2 weeks later...

What was also particularly maddening in that game was the Stoops brothers profusely blitzing both A gaps over and over. I mean I get that Major was a diminutive QB and this was back when we were under center a lot, but...seriously, could they not think of anything else to do with that group?

Edited by hpslugga