Texas Cowboy needs thoughts, prayers, and support

DDD Dad

On 12/14/2018 at 12:44 PM, Caddox said:

Well your son doesn't know what he's talking about at best. And now that I see you're former faculty I'm not shocked you're using bubble hyperbole to describe the horrors of hazing. Cowboys barely has any hazing left, and whatever they're calling hazing here is by the strictest (and dumbest) definition of the word. The idea that they're the worst on campus is hilarious, they aren't anywhere close. And shocker that you're accusing them of forcing people to get drunk and drive anywhere, you're a moron that cares very little about the reality of what happened. Your son's information is so far off the mark I'm starting to just think you're making stuff up. 

You can stop now.  You're doing really shitty so far in analyzing me and my kid, and the campus situation.  You know nothing about the meetings I sat in on and the stuff I heard, so blow it out your ass (with all due respect of course).

But thanks for the laugh.  Cowboys don't  haze any more.  LOL.

The Cowboys, Spurs, and all those other organizations are rife with good guys, people, etc.  But your head's so far up your ass you're talking out of your sphincter if you think that shit doesn't happen anymore.  That's downright hilarious.

Anyway, not unexpected this type of response.  Go tell it to that dead kid's parents.  I'm sure they'll understand and change their minds with your persuasive arguments.  No doubt they're moron's too.

You know, it seems more like you're the moron.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

You can stop now.  You're doing really shitty so far in analyzing me and my kid, and the campus situation.  You know nothing about the meetings I sat in on and the stuff I heard, so blow it out your ass (with all due respect of course).

But thanks for the laugh.  Cowboys don't  haze any more.  LOL.

The Cowboys, Spurs, and all those other organizations are rife with good guys, people, etc.  But your head's so far up your ass you're talking out of your sphincter if you think that shit doesn't happen anymore.  That's downright hilarious.

Anyway, not unexpected this type of response.  Go tell it to that dead kid's parents.  I'm sure they'll understand and change their minds with your persuasive arguments.  No doubt they're moron's too.

You know, it seems more like you're the moron.

Im not "analyzing" anything. Im calling you out for making stuff up. 

On 11/21/2018 at 12:08 PM, texashorne said:

Anything is hazing.. Sweeping the floor of the house is hazing. Driving an active member to class is hazing. Decorating for a party is hazing. Any instance where a pledge is told what to do... whether its a daytime scavenger hunt or chugging a vodka & copenhagen cocktail out of a felt cowboy hat, is hazing.

Because the rules are being broken no matter what, possibly it worth considering defining what's accepted/legal and what's not..  

Just for the record, you are correct that most national fraternities and some other organizations define hazing broadly to include just about anything that discriminatea between actives and pledges. 

But Texas and many other states have criminal laws that define hazing less broadly and provide criminal penalties. 

• 1 month later...

Update:

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190131/ut-spirit-group-ashamed-of-hazing-punishes-some-members

UT spirit group, ‘ashamed’ of hazing, punishes some members

By Ralph K.M. Haurwitz 

Posted at 9:51 AM

A spirit group at the University of Texas says it has suspended some members and expelled others who participated in hazing the night before a new member was grievously injured in a wreck on the way back to Austin from a retreat. But the Texas Cowboys said a third-party investigation found that neither alcohol nor hazing contributed to the accident.

The statement released by William Furst, the foreman of the Cowboys and a senior in UT’s Plan II honors program, is the first public statement by the group since Nicholas Cumberland, 20, was ejected from a vehicle Sept. 30 on U.S. 183 in Lampasas County. He died four weeks later.

“As foreman of the Texas Cowboys, I can confidently say that we are all ashamed of the way that some of our members acted on the night of our fall retreat,” Furst said. “It did not align with the standards of our organization, the standards of this university, and most importantly, the standards we set for ourselves as brothers who care for one another.” He added, “We cannot begin to understand the pain the Cumberland family is feeling in the wake of this tragedy.”

• 1 month later...
It still flabbergasts me a little that the Spurs have avoided all this shit over the years.

The brand on my hip agrees with you.

What I can tell you that In the mid 90s most spur hazing was frat centric. We did have a ranch day but it was pretty benign other than the brand.

I know the handlers have some specific shit they do to new handlers but that was about it.

It still flabbergasts me a little that the Spurs have avoided all this shit over the years.

Their click it or ticket awareness campaign is probably more robust.

“He said the Cowboys were committed to becoming a campus leader in striving to abolish hazing and in emphasizing the importance of wearing seat belts.”

I understand that you’re asking a young man to act as PR agent in a tragic situation...but bro? Com’on bra?

We’re a fraternal spirit org that shoots Smokey and shares commonly held ethos. Primarily, our dedication to stamping out underage drinking, hazing, and unrestrained occupants of motor vehicles across this fine state.

46 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

The brand on my hip agrees with you.

What I can tell you that In the mid 90s most spur hazing was frat centric. We did have a ranch day but it was pretty benign other than the brand.

I know the handlers have some specific shit they do to new handlers but that was about it.

Still, over the long existence of both organizations, they were more similar than different.

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

William Furst, a UT senior and foreman — in effect, president — of the Cowboys, told the Statesman in January that three members of the organization were suspended and four were expelled after a unanimous vote by the group’s judiciary board, composed of students and alumni. He said the Cowboys were committed to becoming a campus leader in striving to abolish hazing and in emphasizing the importance of wearing seat belts. Cumberland and three others in the back seat of the pickup were not wearing seat belts.

Can't help in hearing this when I read this nice, wholesome "explanation:"

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

Texas Cowboys ‘disappointed’ in UT’s 6-year suspension

However, hazing did not cause the car accident that took Nicky Cumberland's life," the satement added

You may be right, but the court of public opinion is kicking your ass and saying shit like that instead of "we done fucked up" is not going to help your cause, at all.

5 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Texas Cowboys ‘disappointed’ in UT’s 6-year suspension

You may be right, but the court of public opinion is kicking your ass and saying shit like that instead of "we done fucked up" is not going to help your cause, at all.

they have to maintain that defense because of lawsuits and shit.  6 years may be nothing compared to a civil suit.  btw, did the parents sue?

On 12/14/2018 at 12:44 PM, Caddox said:

Well your son doesn't know what he's talking about at best. And now that I see you're former faculty I'm not shocked you're using bubble hyperbole to describe the horrors of hazing. Cowboys barely has any hazing left, and whatever they're calling hazing here is by the strictest (and dumbest) definition of the word.

Biting the head off a live hamster?  Okaaaaaay.....

On 12/14/2018 at 12:54 PM, Caddox said:

That would just be stupid and I am extremely skeptical to say the least. Who knows who is saying this stuff, probably people like phdhorn. Girls and people outside of the organization make shit up about this stuff all the time. 

Hank Scipio said it best in the Smollet thread, didn't he?  "You especially can't trust women and minorities."

On 1/31/2019 at 10:24 AM, smokebomb said:

The statement released by William Furst, the foreman of the Cowboys and a senior in UT’s Plan II honors program, is the first public statement by the group since Nicholas Cumberland, 20, was ejected from a vehicle Sept. 30 on U.S. 183 in Lampasas County. He died four weeks later.

“As foreman of the Texas Cowboys, I can confidently say that we are all ashamed of the way that some of our members acted on the night of our fall retreat,” Furst said. “It did not align with the standards of our organization, the standards of this university, and most importantly, the standards we set for ourselves as brothers who care for one another.” He added, “We cannot begin to understand the pain the Cumberland family is feeling in the wake of this tragedy.” 

He's making stuff up!

On 12/14/2018 at 9:51 AM, Caddox said:

They made the choice to leave when they were asked not to. The kid who died made the choice not to wear his seatbelt. The kid driving had a BAC level of 0.0.

Anyone trying to blame the Cowboys for this can suck a fat dick. Hilarious seeing a hellraiser (as embarrassing as anything going at aggy) calling for their heads. 

yeah, this post definitely aged well. 

10 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

I'm shocked that a Cowboy stood by the Cowboys. Shocked I tell you.

Also - I didn't realize the infighting yall had between Cowboys, Spurs and Hellraisers. Do the Pom girls get in on this inter-group hatred?

Edited by relapse98
  • Like 1

Seems that there are simply different types of people in the world and one type will never understand the other.

Some people crave the feeling of belonging to a group and can't possibly understand how anyone could possibly not understand how fulfilling and important being a member of such a group is. Others reject the need to belong to a group and can't possibly understand how anyone could possibly put belonging to a group above self-determination in their life's priorities.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that they're different and won't understand each other.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Seems that there are simply different types of people in the world and one type will never understand the other.

Some people crave the feeling of belonging to a group and can't possibly understand how anyone could possibly not understand how fulfilling and important being a member of such a group is. Others reject the need to belong to a group and can't possibly understand how anyone could possibly put belonging to a group above self-determination in their life's priorities.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that they're different and won't understand each other.

and don't get me started on people who wipe standing up. fucking savages.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

While there is a lot of truth to this, it also depends on the circumstances.  I am, by and large over the half-century of my life, not a "joiner."  Yet, on several occasions over the course of that time, have "joined" and obtained rewarding experiences.  A couple of those occasions were driven by my parents, or another external force, other times solely my choice.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

While there is a lot of truth to this, it also depends on the circumstances.  I am, by and large over the half-century of my life, not a "joiner."  Yet, on several occasions over the course of that time, have "joined" and obtained rewarding experiences.  A couple of those occasions were driven by my parents, or another external force, other times solely my choice.

Like nearly every personality trait, there is a spectrum.

36 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Nothing is less true about it today. 

1. The driver was sober

2. They were asked not to leave.

3. The cowboys have nothing to do with a kid deciding to not wear his seatbelt.

• Fuck You 2

I chuckled at the notion that those who join such groups don’t rely on self-determination. 

Unless you're in charge of the group in a dictatorial role then you don't. But despite the predictable defensive reaction, the tendency to value teamwork more highly than independence is not a negative trait and no insult is meant by or contained within that simple descriptive statement.

Both mindsets are perfectly valid and in fact both are just as necessary as each other in society overall. The world would suck if either one didn't exist.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Speaking of tone deaf responses.

You have people in here blaming the cowboys alleged hazing activities for this kids death. It isn’t “tone deaf” to point out how ridiculous that is in light of the facts.  

1 minute ago, Caddox said:

You have people in here blaming the cowboys alleged hazing activities for this kids death. It isn’t “tone deaf” to point out how ridiculous that is in light of the facts.  

The fact that you're ignoring the hazing so you can pin the kid's death on something else is the tone deaf part of it.  

Still hazing in 2019?  Get the fuck out of here with that shit.  And grow the fuck up.

37 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You can belong to a group and want all of what you described, AND you can be outraged by members of said group being an embarrassment to that very same group and by extension you. This is why I dont' get blinding supporting the Cowboys here.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

The fact that you're ignoring the hazing so you can pin the kid's death on something else is the tone deaf part of it.  

Still hazing in 2019?  Get the fuck out of here with that shit.  And grow the fuck up.

You can argue until you’re blue in the face about hazing, that’s great. But pinning this kid’s death on the cowboys or whatever took place the night before is completely retarded. Not only was the driver sober, but the cowboys had arranged professional bus transportation for everyone to and from the property. Please explain how “hazing” killed him?