Who Tennessee fans wanted as their head coach

Beau Vine

On 7/30/2018 at 1:53 PM, longhornmatt said:

I would have expected a lot of Phil Fulmer votes from Phil Fulmer using 800 different burner email addresses.

As for Pruitt being successful by opening up the pocketbooks, wasn’t Butch Jones already playing the SEC game and signing 30+ guys each year on top of that?  Is Pruitt just going to be a better cheater?

Probably a better yes man to do what Fulmer suggest of how to help the team...

• 2 months later...

Glad someone else bumped this post because I didn't want to start a new thread.

Vol fans may be even more pathetic than aggy right now.  I was casually checking out Volnation earlier.  Quite a large percentage were excited about how the "Vols never quit" and how they're "just another recruiting cycle away from being competitive".  

Bama was up 21-0 after 6 mins. 

Bama put their backup QB in to start the 2nd half and basically ran the ball up the middle for the entire second half.  They were absolutely not even trying to score for the last quarter and a half. 

Though I feel for my wife (TN alum) and a few friends, I take a bit of pleasure due to all the shit talk I heard while I lived there.  Hell, the main moderator for the Volnation website has "TheRealUT" as his handle.

15 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Glad someone else bumped this post because I didn't want to start a new thread.

Vol fans may be even more pathetic than aggy right now.  I was casually checking out Volnation earlier.  Quite a large percentage were excited about how the "Vols never quit" and how they're "just another recruiting cycle away from being competitive".  

Bama was up 21-0 after 6 mins. 

Bama put their backup QB in to start the 2nd half and basically ran the ball up the middle for the entire second half.  They were absolutely not even trying to score for the last quarter and a half. 

Though I feel for my wife (TN alum) and a few friends, I take a bit of pleasure due to all the shit talk I heard while I lived there.  Hell, the main moderator for the Volnation website has "TheRealUT" as his handle.

One of my good friends is a Vol, and as of last week, he honestly believed Tennessee was only one small step behind Texas in turning things around. Gotta admire optimism. 

• Like 1

We will get ours, that is for sure. Saban knows that Pruitt is better than Kirby Smart in recruiting and coaching.

We will be a powerhouse. We will win. Our teams will be like Bama here soon, we won’t have to get away with nothing.

t I do have random moments of excitement about our team I haven’t felt in a while... and honestly I’m super proud of how loud our stadium was while down 28.. and how we fought .. a lot of things to be down about

I just hate seeing people comment that Pruitt shouldn’t have said what he said or this team wasn’t prepared to play....last week they went on the road and shut down auburn in the second half 

overall, he has enough talent to get Ws the rest of the way.

If we ever somehow get to this point, just shoot me.

13 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

One of my good friends is a Vol, and as of last week, he honestly believed Tennessee was only one small step behind Texas in turning things around. Gotta admire optimism. 

It's called Volshiemers - It's a seasonal disorder that usually sets in hard from Jan - Aug...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Sup, was just worried, had not seen ya around in a while. Probably posting in different threads than me, I guess.

I haven’t been on football board much since the switch to Surly. I can mostly be found in the dog thread and occasionally being unfunny in Lulz

I knew this year would be a shit show and I wouldn’t get upset over things. I did go to Auburn last weekend and had a damn blast. If he can get us to a bowl his first year he is a damn good coach. I know for a fact he inherited a worse situation than he thought he would in terms of S&C and the mental state of most of our players. 

You guys played well and congratulations. 

On 3/26/2018 at 9:26 PM, Biscuits And Groovy said:

Too bad they passed on Leach. I would have loved to see Leach kick ass in the SEC again and shit all over all the ESPN fucktards who say that kind of offense can’t work in that conference. 

They tend to forget it worked just fine when he was an Kentucky.

I would like to see Leach at Arkansas. Close enough to Texas to take advantage of his existing contacts and reopen that Texas Pipeline. Leach Back to torching SEC defenses and owning aggy would make the SEC worth watching.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Pruitt setting up Alabama Jr??

Tennessee: Kerry Stevenson, who has been at Alabama since 2013 most recently as the director of player development, is joining the Vols staff in a support capacity, per AL.com. Before joining the Alabama staff, Stevenson served a decade as the head coach at Vigor HS (AL), winning the state title in 2008.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2019/2/21/18233242/tennessee-vols-football-mel-kiper-nfl-draft-2019-recruiting-class

On a conference call, Kiper zeroed in on Jeremy Pruitt’s 2019 recruiting class — you know, since Tennessee doesn’t exactly have a ton of draftable talent in this year’s group.

“It’s just a case of just building it,” Kiper said of Tennessee. “I think Jeremy Pruitt, the recruiting class coming in this year, is outstanding.

“But I think it’ll change now. With these recruits that are coming in, it’s all tied to that, the recruits that are coming in are going to get back to Tennessee to having a lot of early-round picks.”

Kiper admitted that there’s not a great chance Tennessee has a player drafted this year, which sort of paints the picture of the mess that Jeremy Pruitt inherited. Honestly, that should never happen at a program like Tennessee.

Edited by LTtxfan

Interesting stuff on why  Chaney was interested in Vols OC job.... Jawja didn't seem in a hurry to extend his contract....

https://www.rockytopinsider.com/2019/01/06/jim-chaney-could-be-hirable-but-will-vols-pursue/

But why would Chaney leave Georgia, a school chock-full of four-and-five-star talent, to come call plays at Tennessee?

There’s been speculation that Chaney may not be pleased with how things are going at UGA. Last offseason, Chaney was moved from coaching quarterbacks to coaching tight ends, and up-and-coming assistant coach James Coley was moved over to coach quarterbacks and was given a co-offensive coordinator title as well.

Chaney has been coaching quarterbacks at the collegiate level since 2009, and he hadn’t coached tight ends since he was working for the Rams in the NFL in 2008. Many have speculated that Chaney might not have been happy with the move to tight ends at Georgia, and Coley is a hot name in the coaching world. Smart is doing what he can to hold on to Coley, and rumors have circulated that retaining Coley could end up pushing Chaney out of Athens.

Those are, of course, rumors. But it’s worth noting that Chaney did enjoy his time in Knoxville, and as Hyams points out, Chaney may even want to retire in east Tennessee once his coaching career is done. The 56-year-old coach likely isn’t thinking about calling it quits soon, but Knoxville has an appeal to him.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:28 AM, LTtxfan said:

Pruitt setting up Alabama Jr??

Tennessee: Kerry Stevenson, who has been at Alabama since 2013 most recently as the director of player development, is joining the Vols staff in a support capacity, per AL.com. Before joining the Alabama staff, Stevenson served a decade as the head coach at Vigor HS (AL), winning the state title in 2008.

Pruitt gets an analyst from Bama....

Tennessee: Alabama analyst Garrett Cox is leaving to join the Vols staff as an analyst, per AL.com.

• 1 year later...
On 3/26/2018 at 4:10 PM, closetojumping said:

Here's the thing though - Pruitt is going to win at Tennessee and is a better fit than damned near every other coach mentioned in the above article of insanity. It helps, of course, that Pruitt is going to cheat his fucking ass off, but he'll win nonetheless. They're signing JUCOs to fill gaps and then they're going to cast a wide net on recruits and play the SEC game. They basically self-induced swimming through a river a shit to come out smelling like a rose.

well, half of this was correct 😁

In all seriousness it's interesting to read that article with the benefit of hindsight. Currie was caught between a rock and a hard place, and Fulmer used the predicament to backstab him and get the AD job. Now it's all fallen apart and Tennessee has to start over. Wonder if the fanbase will riot if Danny White goes after Schiano again?

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

well, half of this was correct 😁

In all seriousness it's interesting to read that article with the benefit of hindsight. Currie was caught between a rock and a hard place, and Fulmer used the predicament to backstab him and get the AD job. Now it's all fallen apart and Tennessee has to start over. Wonder if the fanbase will riot if Danny White goes after Schiano again?

Yeah, didn't expect Pruitt to be so terrible that he couldn't win even while cheating his ass off. Who would have guessed that unbridled cheating would lead a downfall for a HC at a major SEC program (which excludes Freeze at Ole Miss)?

20 minutes ago, Hunt Stevenson said:

Is Tennessee still major?

spacer.png

Going forward, I'll concede it's debatable and not super favorable to argue on their behalf. But shit, they were a top 10 in wins program until this last decade, with a storied past and national titles. They're heading towards Minnesota territory and a cautionary tale for us and others. People will whisper their demise in hushed tones in dark corners, hoping not to be heard by the football gods and provoke their ire.

4 minutes ago, Hunt Stevenson said:

I remember in 90s they seemed to just whip everyone but Florida.  I’d watch highlights of Charlie Garner or some other back running long TDs in that gif awful checkered end zone.  

They were obscenely talented under Phil Fulmer. When we lost VY to the NFL Draft, we went 10-3 the next year. When they lost Peyton Manning to the NFL Draft, they won the national fucking championship the next year. Steve Spurrier was their only real threat.

you have to keep in mind that Tennessee is #16 in population of the USA which is just below Mass and above Indiana, Missouri, Maryland, Wisconsin, Colorado, and every state in the SEC SEC SEC besides Florida and Georgia

that is also larger than all the ACC states that give a shit about ACC football besides Florida, Georgia, NC, and Virginia (new york does not give a shit about football)

they are also the 16th oldest state and they are one of the states with a single university that is the major research university and the land grant university plus they can recruit from the north of them against places that have population, but do not pr historically have not given a shit about football at the college level like Indian and Illinois and even Kentucky and Missouri

so they are an old ass state and university with a better than average population and a single university that has been the major focus for all of the old money and throughout history

they have some advantages and things going for them plus with Nashville growing and Chattanooga reinventing itself they have some new population and money to draw from unlike some of their other SEC SEC SEC dummy relatives especially those just to the south or west of them 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Remains to be seen who he hires, but Danny White is a big get for them at AD. They’ve had a series of stiffs in that role, and the coaching choices have followed. Hiring Danny White looks like the first smart thing that program has done in about 15 years. 

Yeah, what a bunch of losers! Glad we don’t have any idea what that would be like.

13 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

you have to keep in mind that Tennessee is #16 in population of the USA which is just below Mass and above Indiana, Missouri, Maryland, Wisconsin, Colorado, and every state in the SEC SEC SEC besides Florida and Georgia

that is also larger than all the ACC states that give a shit about ACC football besides Florida, Georgia, NC, and Virginia (new york does not give a shit about football)

they are also the 16th oldest state and they are one of the states with a single university that is the major research university and the land grant university plus they can recruit from the north of them against places that have population, but do not pr historically have not given a shit about football at the college level like Indian and Illinois and even Kentucky and Missouri

so they are an old ass state and university with a better than average population and a single university that has been the major focus for all of the old money and throughout history

they have some advantages and things going for them plus with Nashville growing and Chattanooga reinventing itself they have some new population and money to draw from unlike some of their other SEC SEC SEC dummy relatives especially those just to the south or west of them 

Tennessee can be major again.  The elements are there.  It's a big state that consistently ranks in the top third or so of "most FBS recruits" along with states like Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Miss, etc. that are seen as decent recruiting grounds. They're not too far behind Alabama and they don't have to share with an in-state power like Auburn.  They have history.  They are a decent school.  They have a massive fan-base that is just as crazy as the Bammers, maybe more so. 

They fell behind on facilities and investment for a while.  They made some truly stupid personnel decisions, which they continue to do. They have no institutional control over boosters. 

But bring in the right admin and coach and they can very easily be a superpower again. 

• Like 1