Best restaurant in Austin...

OnAComputer

• 2 weeks later...

So... I'm gonna keep this thread going because I want more places to eat in Austin.

I tried two different ramen places here. Michi Ramen and Ramen Tatsu and both were superb. I like the noodles better at Tatsu, but the Jungle at Michi may be one of my favorites of all time.

no chains whatsoever should be on that list so tacodeli should be eliminated right there.   also, there is nothing noteworthy about their tacos.  i would not send anyone from out of town there.  agree with others that fonda should be on the list.  it's the quintessential mexican food joint for anyone that wants to experience austin.  you might also add enchiladas y mas, cisco's, and amaya's.

i also am against sending people to food trucks, because well, they're food trucks.  and two of those places have brick and mortar joints anyway so why not send them there?

you might need a high end dining section for places like clarks, bullfight, perla's, etc.  also, a small plate experience can be fun for a group, trying many dishes, so contigo could be  worth a mention.

I'm not gonna nitpick your restaurant list, because it's your opinion and I don't give a fuck. But your "helpful notes" about Austin, c'mon man. "Expect 110°+ daily"??? That's just complete bullshit. I bet we had more days below freezing than days above 110°. I guess bullshit exaggeration annoys me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paco said:

I'm not gonna nitpick your restaurant list, because it's your opinion and I don't give a fuck. But your "helpful notes" about Austin, c'mon man. "Expect 110°+ daily"??? That's just complete bullshit. I bet we had more days below freezing than days above 110°. I guess bullshit exaggeration annoys me.

You (the OP) really should create 4 sub-lists for each season, with maybe a sub-sub list for the big holidays like Thanksgiving, X-Mas, 4th of July etc.  Just laziness on your part.

Edited by Dr Fear

1 hour ago, Paco said:

I created this list in summer when it feels like 110. This was honestly just a list I was sharing with close friends who were coming to Austin. I just wanted to give the idea that it is hot here.

Let me say the list was made in a single day off the top of my head.

3 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

no chains whatsoever should be on that list so tacodeli should be eliminated right there.   also, there is nothing noteworthy about their tacos.  i would not send anyone from out of town there.  agree with others that fonda should be on the list.  it's the quintessential mexican food joint for anyone that wants to experience austin.  you might also add enchiladas y mas, cisco's, and amaya's.

i also am against sending people to food trucks, because well, they're food trucks.  and two of those places have brick and mortar joints anyway so why not send them there?

you might need a high end dining section for places like clarks, bullfight, perla's, etc.  also, a small plate experience can be fun for a group, trying many dishes, so contigo could be  worth a mention.

I'm a huge fan of Tacodeli personally. Always loved their tacos from when they were a small taco joint next to a laundromat.
I'm not saying this list is a master piece or a finished product. It's just a list I give to friends coming in town who want to know where to eat when they visit.

And right. I should add a high end list. Good idea.

• Like 1

I was just in town this past weekend and I found your list very confusing and I have to say it led me astray on more than one occasion. I think it needs some work. 

For example, you mentioned a place called Franklins that has the best BBQ in the world. I searched far and wide for this place and was unable to locate it. 

I also noticed that you did not include hours in the food truck section. I visited some of these trucks in early morning hours only to find they were closed. On a similar note, you noted that many of these places had Sunday hours. I tried to eat at many of them on Sunday only to find out that they were closed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Baboontyme said:

I was just in town this past weekend and I found your list very confusing and I have to say it led me astray on more than one occasion. I think it needs some work. 

For example, you mentioned a place called Franklins that has the best BBQ in the world. I searched far and wide for this place and was unable to locate it. 

I also noticed that you did not include hours in the food truck section. I visited some of these trucks in early morning hours only to find they were closed. On a similar note, you noted that many of these places had Sunday hours. I tried to eat at many of them on Sunday only to find out that they were closed. 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go ahead and fix it.

Bartlett's continues to shine after decades in the market despite outliving it's franchise agreement with Houstons, the death of the original owner and several recessions.

Eberly is fantastic.

Someone up thread mentioned OastHouse which is great.

I am sure more will come to me.

Edited by Orange^White
sp
  • Like 2

I've been looking for some good thai food recently. I know it's probably not the best thai food, but when I was drunk at Whislers on East 6th, they have a trailer called Thai Kun. I got the waterfall pork because I was drunk and hungry. I didn't realize it is tossed in something called Tiger Cry sauce. Basically, it was so hot and unexpected for drunk me that I had to go get milk, but it was so good that I just kept eating it. I guess if you like spicy go check it out.

4 hours ago, OnAComputer said:

I've been looking for some good thai food recently. I know it's probably not the best thai food, but when I was drunk at Whislers on East 6th, they have a trailer called Thai Kun. I got the waterfall pork because I was drunk and hungry. I didn't realize it is tossed in something called Tiger Cry sauce. Basically, it was so hot and unexpected for drunk me that I had to go get milk, but it was so good that I just kept eating it. I guess if you like spicy go check it out.

I just found out Thai-Kun is East Side King. I’m dumb. Still great.

13 hours ago, OnAComputer said:

I just found out Thai-Kun is East Side King. I’m dumb. Still great.

They also have a brick and mortar on Rock Rose in the Domain. I've eaten there twice and been pretty impressed. The whole fish in tamarind sauce kicks ass. Had the beef panag curry last night and it is hot af but legit.

18 hours ago, OnAComputer said:

Madam Mam's (3 locations) and Titaya’s are what you are looking for. 

9 hours ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Soto up at Lakeline is arguably the best meal I've had in Austin. Dropped some coin, but it was sublime. No worse than Uchi/Uchiko, and arguably better. The waitstaff there has been consistently the best I've had anywhere. They know their shit.

Yup, it's really great food.  Love that place.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Check out Foreign & Domestic.  We stopped going there a couple years ago when it had gotten kinda meh, but new owners took over last year and it's vastly improved. 

i like the food at F&D but the "you have to order your entire meal all at once" thing is a turnoff for me

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 9:31 PM, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Soto up at Lakeline is arguably the best meal I've had in Austin. Dropped some coin, but it was sublime. No worse than Uchi/Uchiko, and arguably better. The waitstaff there has been consistently the best I've had anywhere. They know their shit.

A restaurant in Lakeline is the best restaurant in Austin?  I find that hard to believe.  Let me guess...it's just minutes from downtown?  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

A restaurant in Lakeline is the best restaurant in Austin?  I find that hard to believe.  Let me guess...it's just minutes from downtown?  

I won't argue that it's the best restaurant in Austin, but it's extremely good. If you haven't been, you should try it.