Bye week: No press conference today

bigup2dahorns

Question: Hey coach, has there ever been a worse call on such an important 3rd and 5 than the wildcat you called? You even left Buechele in the game rather than bringing in another blocker? That play had maybe a 10% chance of getting 5 yards, and you have such a mismatch out there in CJ and LJH that can get 5 yards on a quick pass in their sleep. Please put some thoughts into your important play calls in the future. thanks.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Maybe some news today but no press conference. You can ask and answer your own questions here if you like

PICS from the game:

1539475302-UTBaylor_AL049_65324676_58071

One of my favorite plays of the game - Boyd was getting stiff-armed by the douchebag from Tenn as they were pursuing him to the sideline.  B Jones came running up on them and shoved Boyd into the ball-carrier and out of bounds.  Nice play by Jones to stop Hurd (through Boyd) from getting the corner and the first down.

Every team is getting delay penalties these days. They're taking the edict to "immediately wind the clock" seriously.

When you get an INT or a fumble, they're not waiting for the celebration to stop. They're winding the play clock. Same with punts and kickoffs.

Take away lesson: Be ready with your unit for sudden changes (or obvious ones).

18 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Every team is getting delay penalties these days. They're taking the edict to "immediately wind the clock" seriously.

When you get an INT or a fumble, they're not waiting for the celebration to stop. They're winding the play clock. Same with punts and kickoffs.

Take away lesson: Be ready with your unit for sudden changes (or obvious ones).

The really frustrating ones are the ones that happen on the first drive.  

• Like 1

I hate our delay of game penalties on first play of first drive situations. I might be in the minority but I do think a injury time out should be extended to get a QB ready to go in. Its one thing to have a LB backup ready to go but QBs are usually helmet off, headset on, cold,  and not repped with a center to go in and not expect a mess at the start. 

In all seriousness, there's a variety of maladies and misfortunes that can bite a football team during a bye week - especially one with a starting QB who "should be throwing balls by the end of the week".

The Evil and Capricious Football Gods are not to be mocked. Do your part to keep them looking in a different direction.

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

Question: Hey coach, has there ever been a worse call on such an important 3rd and 5 than the wildcat you called? You even left Buechele in the game rather than bringing in another blocker? That play had maybe a 10% chance of getting 5 yards, and you have such a mismatch out there in CJ and LJH that can get 5 yards on a quick pass in their sleep. Please put some thoughts into your important play calls in the future. thanks.

"Well, getting 5 yards is really tough, and 3rd downs in Division I football are really, really, extremely tough. Plus, I was reading the Surly boards on the sideline, and everyone was bitching every time we threw a pass, so I thought it would be a really, really good idea to give the posters what they wanted."

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

One of my favorite plays of the game - Boyd was getting stiff-armed by the douchebag from Tenn as they were pursuing him to the sideline.  B Jones came running up on them and shoved Boyd into the ball-carrier and out of bounds.  Nice play by Jones to stop Hurd (through Boyd) from getting the corner and the first down.

This play stood out to me as well.  It was great, complementary team defense.  Locke actually was the one who made the tackle IMO, you can see him about to get him around the waist in the pic.  But he was only able to catch up because Boyd and Jones were containing Hurd to the sideline.  If Locke was alone, Hurd turns up field earlier and roasts him.  If its just Boyd I think Hurd gets the corner.  It's possible Jones could have done this on his own just because he occasionally takes a perfect angle and has very good closing speed.  The way it unfolded in real time though was fun to watch.  Especially since Hurd is an ugly douchebag type player.

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

For someone that is suppose to follow the team he does not understand Tom's concept of 1-0.

No shit, that's not very hard to interpret as far as coachspeak goes. Did we get better during the bye week? If yes, it's a win. If not, it's a loss. 1-0.

I'm not a big fan of the 1-0 silliness but it's pretty simple to figure out. I can get not liking the shtick, but not even getting it? That's pretty bad.