2017-18 Spurs Thread: Probably no buckets for Kawhi

Radical Larry

Keep your heads up Spurs fans, your team has the ability to make things very interesting against a Warriors team with a Steph Curry that isn't at full strength. Everyone knows that this season, Steph has been the engine for that time---and not Durant. Keep feeding LMA and get Draymond to get himself tossed from the game with stingy defense. It's definitely possible. Good luck!

Pretty good article about Becky Hammon in this week's New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/16/how-far-can-becky-hammon-go-in-the-nba

(didn't want to start a new thread, so I'm posting here.)

a few nuggets:

Popovich rejects the idea of winning at all costs. “We want to win the right way, we want to lose the right way,” he told me. At the team’s first film session after losing to the Miami Heat in the N.B.A. Finals in 2013, Popovich reviewed the team’s mistakes and then said, “Gentlemen, if this is the worst thing that ever happens to you in your life, your life is going to be a breeze.” During games, he’ll call a quick time-out to shout at a player, or bench someone for playing badly. But off the court he does not talk about staying focussed or decry “distractions.”

Popovich and Buford told me that Hammon is an effective coach because of her “basketball I.Q.” But she is also adept at the human elements of the game. When she started working with the Spurs, she noticed how Duncan communicated with his teammates nonverbally. “His leadership—if you go back, you see Tim is touching people all the time,” she said. She talked about the impact of Ginóbili, who is forty: “Even if Manu never steps onto the court this year, the way he understands culture and brings people together—it’s always about the team.” This year, the Spurs have been tested by Leonard’s absence and by tensions over when and whether he might return. But part of a coach’s job is to deal with the unexpected, and to fix relationships when they break down. Lately, the team has been carried by thirty-two-year-old LaMarcus Aldridge. By the end of last season, Aldridge was so frustrated that he asked for a trade. Instead, he and Popovich talked through their differences. “Maybe what worked for Tim Duncan wasn’t working for LaMarcus,” Hammon said.

Players and opposing coaches were, for the most part, encouraging. Stars like LeBron James and Chris Paul told her that they were happy she was hired. Last week, James told reporters, “You guys know how fond I am of Coach Pop, so for him to bring Becky in there, to be able to be an assistant and give her input—I don’t quite know how much input she has, I’m not there on a day-to-day basis—but just having her face there, it means a lot.”

hmm on the bold

• Game 1: April 14, at Golden State, 2 p.m., ABC
  • Game 2: April 16, at Golden State, 9:30 p.m., TNT
  • Game 3: April 19, at San Antonio, 8:30 p.m., TNT
  • Game 4: April 22, at San Antonio, 2:30 p.m., ABC
  • Game 5 (if necessary): April 24 at Golden State, TBD
  • Game 6 (if necessary): April 26 at San Antonio, TBD
  • Game 7 (if necessary): April 28 Golden State, TBD

3 hours ago, hornfan785 said:
  • Game 1: April 14, at Golden State, 2 p.m., ABC
  • Game 2: April 16, at Golden State, 9:30 p.m., TNT
  • Game 3: April 19, at San Antonio, 8:30 p.m., TNT
  • Game 4: April 22, at San Antonio, 2:30 p.m., ABC
  • Game 5 (if necessary): April 24 at Golden State, TBD
  • Game 6 (if necessary): April 26 at San Antonio, TBD
  • Game 7 (if necessary): April 28 Golden State, TBD

Show me a loss. 

Edited by Grade of D as in David

Here's my thought:

Im preparing for the worst.  I expect GS to double lamarcus early and often until the spurs shooters make them reconsider.  He mignt still score 25+ but at what percentage.   Gasol will get embarrased. Tony and manu might pull some youth out their ass for a quarter or so.  Should be able to out rebound them.

But in all honesty, it will all depend on how patty and Danny green shoot from 3.  Hope they get hot.  Of course if curry comes back to close to 100%, then ot dont matter.

Ill consider 2 wins to be successful

The greatest sign of incompetent coaching is for a guy not to send two guys at LMA any time the game is in doubt. For every game our guards make the opposition pay for that, there are five when they don’t. It then takes Rudy to come up big for us to stand a real chance. Even then we’re hard pressed to score 100. It’s just not good. 

I don’t think Kerr will let us take two from GS unless he’s just feeling sorry for us. And he won’t be. 

Or, maybe LMA isn’t very good at passing out of the double team. Pop was trying to put him in positions last year that helped mitigate that, but LMA never got comfortable/never figured it out. So they’re back to what he’s comfortable with which is easy to double unless you have an adept big man passer, which he isn’t. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I don't think he's being mute. I think he is a mute. If he wanted out of San Antonio, there are much easier ways to go about it than whatever the fuck he's doing. He wouldn't be the first to request a trade. Hell, Aldridge did it last summer. That's what makes this whole thing so bizarre.

In my way of thinking, there are two possibilities: 1) he's really hurt and can't play, which sucks and you start to think about guys like Brandon Roy who was robbed of his career. The confounding issue here is the Spurs medical staff, which is notoriously cautious and still cleared him months ago; or 2) he's not really hurt but unwilling to play for whatever reason, the prevalent theory being his uncle is in his ear giving him horrible advice. Both scenarios are terrible for the Spurs. He's either got a degenerative quad that's unlikely to get better or he's purposefully going into the tank to try to get them to unload him.

My opinion that I have grudgingly come to, and this is based on a couple of conversations I've had with people who are not necessarily in the organization but have plenty of contacts over there: I would be more surprised if he ever plays another game in a Spurs uniform than if he did.

13 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't think he's being mute. I think he is a mute. If he wanted out of San Antonio, there are much easier ways to go about it than whatever the fuck he's doing. He wouldn't be the first to request a trade. Hell, Aldridge did it last summer. That's what makes this whole thing so bizarre.

In my way of thinking, there are two possibilities: 1) he's really hurt and can't play, which sucks and you start to think about guys like Brandon Roy who was robbed of his career. The confounding issue here is the Spurs medical staff, which is notoriously cautious and still cleared him months ago; or 2) he's not really hurt but unwilling to play for whatever reason, the prevalent theory being his uncle is in his ear giving him horrible advice. Both scenarios are terrible for the Spurs. He's either got a degenerative quad that's unlikely to get better or he's purposefully going into the tank to try to get them to unload him.

My opinion that I have grudgingly come to, and this is based on a couple of conversations I've had with people who are not necessarily in the organization but have plenty of contacts over there: I would be more surprised if he ever plays another game in a Spurs uniform than if he did.

The last message we've heard from Kawhi was that he wants to be a Spur for life.  All the additional noise has been media driven drama. 

I understand guys lie about these things, like Durant, but it just doesn't fit for Kawhi.  Guys who choose there words carefully, like Kawhi, generally speak the truth.

I think your former statement may be closer to the truth.  He may have a degenerative/diseased quad that could impact him for the rest of his career.

I don't understand it, but I have a feeling that Kawhi doesn't really like LMA and feels like the team chose LMA over him.  I have nothing to base this on.

I kinda agree with this but think it’s only 30% of the issue. I attribute 60% to him feeling chronic pain and not knowing how to deal, and 10% to the uncle’s behind the scenes shenanigans.

I'm looking forward to this summer's re-signing period just as much as anything else in Sports. I have never ever done so in my life. I can't wait just to get through it just so we know, if he stays, great, hopefully he can be healthy and our window is open for another 5-6 years. If not, well let's get pieces and figure the next 3-4 years out around LaMarcus and better pieces.

1 hour ago, Amos Moses said:

I kinda agree with this but think it’s only 30% of the issue. I attribute 60% to him feeling chronic pain and not knowing how to deal, and 10% to the uncle’s behind the scenes shenanigans.

If it does end up being the uncle, can we chip in to buy him a car wash?

Too soon?

For once — and I mean all the way back to TD's rookie year — I'm not looking ahead in mid-April. I actually haven't even checked to see when we play Game 1. Or even which day. I'm as checked out of the NBA as I've been since 'Nique was our leading scorer. I hate it but can't make myself get amped up for the rest of the season. Not sure how I feel about what lies beyond that, either, given the Leonard situation.

Not saying I won't watch however many games we have left. It's just that I don't have my usual hope of a good outcome.

Honesty, at this juncture what is the fucking point with continuing the charade of listing him out for "return from injury management?"  Just call the ball, Maverick - he's not playing again this year.  There must be some reason from either a league standpoint or a medical malpractice liability standpoint to keep up with this nonsense.