2018-2019 San Antonio Spurs: Fuck Kawhi Leonard

Michael Knight

Historically we’ve had some really shitty losses in NY. I’m not really sure why, but this isn’t the first time it’s happened. The 2015 season was fucked in part because of a horrible loss to NY which cost us home court in the first round.

The Spurs have lost to all the shittiest teams in the league this year with the exception of Cleveland who they haven't played. The Spurs have lost to Phoenix, Chicago, Atlanta, NY and Memphis, those shitty losses are going to hurt pertaining to playoff seeding. Sacramento along with LA are still hanging around and Utah has bounced back. As it stands the Spurs would play Denver as a #7 and would likely get stomped 4-1 because of an inability to win on the road. We've witnessed the ceiling of the current roster, when the bench is hot and knocks down 3s the Spurs can hang with anyone despite lackluster defense, on nights when the bench is cold or DDR struggles the Spurs shit the bed.

14 hours ago, Chad said:

The Spurs have lost to all the shittiest teams in the league this year with the exception of Cleveland who they haven't played. The Spurs have lost to Phoenix, Chicago, Atlanta, NY and Memphis, those shitty losses are going to hurt pertaining to playoff seeding. Sacramento along with LA are still hanging around and Utah has bounced back. As it stands the Spurs would play Denver as a #7 and would likely get stomped 4-1 because of an inability to win on the road. We've witnessed the ceiling of the current roster, when the bench is hot and knocks down 3s the Spurs can hang with anyone despite lackluster defense, on nights when the bench is cold or DDR struggles the Spurs shit the bed.

It's stupid. We play up to competition, but we won't give ourselves a chance to at least beat a 3-5 seed in the 1st round (obvs not GSW) bc we're going to shit away a chance to be a 4-5-6 seed.

The one thing a good Spurs team typically did was make hay against the dregs of the league. Might not be all that special against the good ones in the regular season, but didn't throw away games in the standings by sleepwalking against the Suns or Knicks. Now, though...well, this isn't a good team, so the question of why we're losing to such clowns is moot. 

7 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

It's stupid. We play up to competition, but we won't give ourselves a chance to at least beat a 3-5 seed in the 1st round (obvs not GSW) bc we're going to shit away a chance to be a 4-5-6 seed.

Looks more and more like we're going to shit ourselves completely out of the playoffs.

Had to happen at some point, I guess.

Before the road trip I legitimately believed the Spurs could settle into a 4/5 seed and possibly win a series. Now I'm not so sure they'll even make it to the playoffs,  if they do it's a one and done becoming fodder for GS or Denver as a 7 or 8 seed. 

This is what happens when you turn to sentiment in order to placate a legend. It’s probably the right decision based on everything he’s done for the team and community, but sets the franchise back bit. Fuck it. He’s earned the right to coach a mediocre team in his last years. I hope they can give him one last run. 

33 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

If they were going to lose Kawhi, what should have they done instead of this?

Make a trade for younger, cheaper assets and draft picks rather than a 30 year old, all-star level player.  They also should have insisted on someone taking one of their best contracts and kept Danny.  Basically, get young, cheap assets, draft picks and clear cap space.  They didn't really do any of that.

There was no way they were going to get equal value, much less win that trade, unless somebody was willing to give up a top 5 player in their prime for Kawhi. That was just never going to happen. I don't believe full on Philly-style tanking is ever an option for this front office regardless of Pop's age. I think most folks would have preferred a reboot but they have successfully built and rebuilt championship teams on the fly picking at the bottom of the draft for 20 years. Call it hubris, but I'm sure they believe that they found Kawhi and they can find another superstar without bottoming out. They have never taken a short term view of the roster even in Duncan's prime and if they really wanted to sell out for Pop's last hurrah, they have draft picks they could have dumped for vets.

All that said, they aren't without some decent young assets. Losing Murray before the season even started was devastating. I still don't know how good he can or will ever be, but you could see flashes. On the plus side, they found out that White's floor is as a rotational player in the league. I don't think he gets those minutes with a healthy Murray. And Poetl has been pretty good and so has Bertans. Nobody has any idea what they have in Walker. But again, those are four young guys and possibly a fifth in Walker who can play in this league.

Still, I'd rather take a one in a million ping pong ball chance at Zion than play even one minute in the playoffs. The best thing that could happen to them going forward is for Aldridge to suffer a season-ending injury that has no long term bearing on his career and they slide as far down into the lottery as possible. 

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

There was no way they were going to get equal value, much less win that trade, unless somebody was willing to give up a top 5 player in their prime for Kawhi. That was just never going to happen. I don't believe full on Philly-style tanking is ever an option for this front office regardless of Pop's age. I think most folks would have preferred a reboot but they have successfully built and rebuilt championship teams on the fly picking at the bottom of the draft for 20 years. Call it hubris, but I'm sure they believe that they found Kawhi and they can find another superstar without bottoming out. They have never taken a short term view of the roster even in Duncan's prime and if they really wanted to sell out for Pop's last hurrah, they have draft picks they could have dumped for vets.

All that said, they aren't without some decent young assets. Losing Murray before the season even started was devastating. I still don't know how good he can or will ever be, but you could see flashes. On the plus side, they found out that White's floor is as a rotational player in the league. I don't think he gets those minutes with a healthy Murray. And Poetl has been pretty good and so has Bertans. Nobody has any idea what they have in Walker. But again, those are four young guys and possibly a fifth in Walker who can play in this league.

Still, I'd rather take a one in a million ping pong ball chance at Zion than play even one minute in the playoffs. The best thing that could happen to them going forward is for Aldridge to suffer a season-ending injury that has no long term bearing on his career and they slide as far down into the lottery as possible. 

So that Zion can play out his 1st contract here and then leave?  We caught lighting in a bottle and kept it there for damn near 20 years.  The future of the NBA is not bright for small market teams.  Especially small market teams who tank.  Big market teams can do The Process and still be a big, attractive market for stars.  We can't.  And with the Association power structure tilting more and more toward the stars, combined with them wanting to buddy up and go build super teams, I think we're headed for a 20-30 year stretch where it's NY/LA/CHI/MIA/PHI/BOS/GSW and everyone else.  We'll always have our banners and I'll remember Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker fondly.  The first 3 especially were cut from a different cloth than today's superstars.

1 hour ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

So that Zion can play out his 1st contract here and then leave?  We caught lighting in a bottle and kept it there for damn near 20 years.  The future of the NBA is not bright for small market teams.  Especially small market teams who tank.  Big market teams can do The Process and still be a big, attractive market for stars.  We can't.  And with the Association power structure tilting more and more toward the stars, combined with them wanting to buddy up and go build super teams, I think we're headed for a 20-30 year stretch where it's NY/LA/CHI/MIA/PHI/BOS/GSW and everyone else.  We'll always have our banners and I'll remember Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker fondly.  The first 3 especially were cut from a different cloth than today's superstars.

I don't believe that for second.  Giannas is reportedly very happy in Milwaukee.  Demar was crushed when he was traded away from Toronto.  Westbrook, for all his faults, has stayed and flourished in OKC.  Even Kawhi signed a 2nd deal with us.  He left because there was some loss of trust regarding an injury, not because he hated the city or wanted brighter lights (although his hangers on may).  Do small market teams have more challenges?  Absolutely, but if you can build a winning culture and make sound organizational decisions, players will stay, some free agents will come, and success can be had.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I don't believe that for second.  Giannas is reportedly very happy in Milwaukee.  Demar was crushed when he was traded away from Toronto.  Westbrook, for all his faults, has stayed and flourished in OKC.  Even Kawhi signed a 2nd deal with us.  He left because there was some loss of trust regarding an injury, not because he hated the city or wanted brighter lights (although his hangers on may).  Do small market teams have more challenges?  Absolutely, but if you can build a winning culture and make sound organizational decisions, players will stay, some free agents will come, and success can be had.  

I'm not saying it can't happen, and I hope it does (again).  But we're fools if we don't look at the past 20 years and say that it was an outlier.  The big markets are playing the game on easy mode when it comes to attaining stars.  We're playing on hard mode.

• Like 1