2018-2019 San Antonio Spurs: Fuck Kawhi Leonard

Michael Knight

If you want the team to make the playoffs, they're gonna need to make some hay the next 6 games.  4 out of the next 5 are home games before the RRT and the away game is the Cans without AD.  Then 5 sub .500 teams in a row before a tough 3 game stretch on the road and then the Grizz into the ASB.  I wouldn't be surprised if we went 1-3 or 2-2  the last 4 dependent on health as we have a nasty b2b (@GSW, @ Por) before finishing up at Utah and Memphis.  Probably need to go 5-1 the next 6 if you want to improve seeding, because 4-2 may end up 5-5 going into the break.

• Like 1

I saw this on SI.com.  Would you do it? I have to admit that I would be tempted, but I haven't looked at the contracts of either Gasol or Conle, and this doesn't exactly help a youth movement.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/01/25/grizzlies-mike-conley-marc-gasol-spurs-mavericks-pelicans-potential-trade-scenarios

Grizzlies send: Marc Gasol, Omri Casspi
Spurs send: Pau Gasol, Marco Belinelli, Raptors’ 2019 first

Admittedly, it would be entertaining to see Marc and Pau traded for one another again under very different circumstances. The Spurs are a team that still values playing multiple bigs, and Marc Gasol’s skill level and overall effectiveness is an upgrade over his brother, who has mostly come off the bench this season in San Antonio. Marc is owed more money than Pau through 2020, but also probably stands a better chance of generating a return on his salary number. San Antonio has the guard depth to deal Belinelli and an extra pick with Toronto’s first, which will convey this year and end up a selection somewhere in the late 20s. The Spurs are back in playoff position, but are in the thick of a tight race, and upgrading their rotation up front for this year and next might be worth dealing that draft choice. Gasol and LaMarcus Aldridge wouldn’t exactly be a mobile pairing, but would certainly create problems for opposing defenses.

Something like this might be the best Memphis can do when it comes to dealing Gasol (and bringing back Pau for a farewell tour does have a certain value when it comes to business optics). At a glance, there just aren’t a ton of teams that should be leaping to add a guy like him on a contract that significant. If the Grizzlies are intent on getting a draft pick back for him, they might also have to eat a bad contract as a makeweight. On paper, there just aren’t many teams that need Gasol badly enough to flip much of substance.

Edited by Hate

Meh.  Why?  It's not going to really improve us.  I would think about it if Gasol agrees to opt out next summer then it would be cap relief for next summer.....  Also I don't think the Spurs could do that.  I believe we have a hard cap because of how we structured our signings.  We would need to send out more salary.  If they would take Patty, I would really do it, again on the agreement Gasol would opt out and we wouldn't sign him or sign him to a much better AAV short-term deal. 

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I saw this on SI.com.  Would you do it? I have to admit that I would be tempted, but I haven't looked at the contracts of either Gasol or Conle, and this doesn't exactly help a youth movement.

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/01/25/grizzlies-mike-conley-marc-gasol-spurs-mavericks-pelicans-potential-trade-scenarios

Admittedly, it would be entertaining to see Marc and Pau traded for one another again under very different circumstances. The Spurs are a team that still values playing multiple bigs, and Marc Gasol’s skill level and overall effectiveness is an upgrade over his brother, who has mostly come off the bench this season in San Antonio. Marc is owed more money than Pau through 2020, but also probably stands a better chance of generating a return on his salary number. San Antonio has the guard depth to deal Belinelli and an extra pick with Toronto’s first, which will convey this year and end up a selection somewhere in the late 20s. The Spurs are back in playoff position, but are in the thick of a tight race, and upgrading their rotation up front for this year and next might be worth dealing that draft choice. Gasol and LaMarcus Aldridge wouldn’t exactly be a mobile pairing, but would certainly create problems for opposing defenses.

Something like this might be the best Memphis can do when it comes to dealing Gasol (and bringing back Pau for a farewell tour does have a certain value when it comes to business optics). At a glance, there just aren’t a ton of teams that should be leaping to add a guy like him on a contract that significant. If the Grizzlies are intent on getting a draft pick back for him, they might also have to eat a bad contract as a makeweight. On paper, there just aren’t many teams that need Gasol badly enough to flip much of substance.

Ahhhh... the ol' Gasol Bro Switcharooski

On 1/25/2019 at 4:21 PM, Hate said:

I'd take Marc over Pau in a heart beat, then again who wouldn't at this point? The Spurs have struggled with Pau returning, they played better when he was on the shelf. Memphis is going to go all in on a rebuild so ditching Marc for Pau who they can waive and stretch for a minimal impact makes sense.

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

Who wouldn't at this point?

I'm thinking who wouldn't at ANY point?

Ever?

Pau had a very diverse skill set in his prime and could effectively play the 4 or 5 at an equally high level, Pau also made more all NBA teams in his career. Marc was clearly the better defender and Pau was the better offensive player. You could form legitimate arguments for both players on who was the better of the two. Clearly in the present Pau is a shell of himself and Marc remains a solid contributor. I'd welcome Marc to the Spurs at the expense of Pau in a heart beat.

12 minutes ago, Chad said:

Pau had a very diverse skill set in his prime and could effectively play the 4 or 5 at an equally high level, Pau also made more all NBA teams in his career. Marc was clearly the better defender and Pau was the better offensive player. You could form legitimate arguments for both players on who was the better of the two. Clearly in the present Pau is a shell of himself and Marc remains a solid contributor. I'd welcome Marc to the Spurs at the expense of Pau in a heart beat.

The issue isn't who was better in their prime because they're both clearly out of it.  It's taking on Marc's extra year of 25 million + salary for a declining player so we could possibly eek out a playoff series.  Marco ain't what he once was either but after a horrific first two months, he's really been playing good ball the last 20 games.  The question really is what does Marc get you this year?  Does he improve us to be a legitimate championship contender?  What about next year, because he's in full decline....

20 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The issue isn't who was better in their prime because they're both clearly out of it.  It's taking on Marc's extra year of 25 million + salary for a declining player so we could possibly eek out a playoff series.  Marco ain't what he once was either but after a horrific first two months, he's really been playing good ball the last 20 games.  The question really is what does Marc get you this year?  Does he improve us to be a legitimate championship contender?  What about next year, because he's in full decline....

I'm all in favor of rolling the dice. LMA is getting up there in age. My claims he could continue playing at a high level in 2018-2019 as he did in 2017-2018 were met with a lot of skepticism, but even being more of a finesse player I would expect we begin to see some form of drop off next season at the age of 34. Marco has improved greatly from the beginning of the season, but fortunately the G position on the roster is the strong point. With Gasol the Spurs gain a boon to the starting defense who can still grind out some points in the paint in exchange for a 3 pt shooter off the bench. I believe Forbes could replace Marco in that regard and we can see what the Spurs have with Lonnie Walker who is a part of the future which Marco is not. If it's one thing Pop has been capable of it's been making chicken salad out of chicken shit at the 2. See Danny Green, Gary Neal, Jon Simmons, Forbes, etc.

Edited by Chad

4 minutes ago, Chad said:

I'm all in favor of rolling the dice. LMA is getting up there in age. My claims he could continue playing at a high level in 2018-2019 as he did in 2017-2018 were met with a lot of skepticism, but even being more of a finesse player I would expect we begin to see some form of drop off next season at the age of 34. Marco has improved greatly from the beginning of the season, but fortunately the G position on the roster is the strong point. With Gasol the Spurs gain a boon to the starting defense who can still grind out some points in the paint in exchange for a 3 pt shooter off the bench. I believe Forbes could replace Marco in that regard and we can see what the Spurs have with Lonnie Walker who is a part of the future which Marco is not. If it's one thing Pop has been capable of it's been making chicken salad out of chicken shit at the 2. See Danny Green, Gary Neal, Jon Simmons, Forbes, etc.

Again, what are you rolling the dice for?  You think we're gonna beat the Warriors with a 34 year old Marc Gasol who's WS/48 is hovering around .100 and who's PER is 17?  And how do you play Gasol and LMA together against the small ball teams who dominate the landscape.  You think we're beating Denver or even OKC with M Gasol?  He's not really a great defender anymore as the game has changed around him although he still rebounds a little.  Don't get me wrong, I like Marc Gasol.  I always have, but is he the difference between a championship run or not?  Remember, it's not just Marco but it's a first round pick (granted low first round pick).  Rolling the dice doesn't really get to the heart of the decision, does it make you a legit contender this year.  If you think it does, then you make it.  I simply don't think it does, but maybe PATFO agrees with you.... And I'm not against making a move, but I don't want to add old players with bad money on their deals.

3 hours ago, Chad said:

Yeah, you're right.

I've just always seen Pau as a kind of a pussy because of his olé defense.

I'm still mad he's ever worn the uniform.  Personal bias.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Again, what are you rolling the dice for?  You think we're gonna beat the Warriors with a 34 year old Marc Gasol who's WS/48 is hovering around .100 and who's PER is 17?  And how do you play Gasol and LMA together against the small ball teams who dominate the landscape.  You think we're beating Denver or even OKC with M Gasol?  He's not really a great defender anymore as the game has changed around him although he still rebounds a little.  Don't get me wrong, I like Marc Gasol.  I always have, but is he the difference between a championship run or not?  Remember, it's not just Marco but it's a first round pick (granted low first round pick).  Rolling the dice doesn't really get to the heart of the decision, does it make you a legit contender this year.  If you think it does, then you make it.  I simply don't think it does, but maybe PATFO agrees with you.... And I'm not against making a move, but I don't want to add old players with bad money on their deals.

100% this.

We ain't winning shit this year.  

Hang on to that 1st round pick.  A Spurs late 1st rounder > all other teams' #10 pick imo.

Edited by Cajun

Don't take on any guys over 30 at this point. Period. I'm thrilled with how well the team has come together this year and naturally would love a decent playoff run, but I'm also realistic enough to admit we aren't anything close to champs. So don't mortgage anything for an all-too-brief feel good.

Yea.... it would be great to see, but we're just 3 years too old to get something done.  Maybe if LMA was 30 instead of 33.  Maybe if DD was 27 instead of 30.  Maybe if Pop was going to stick around for 3-4.  Those things could be used to perhaps make a serious offer, but only way I see something getting done is if Davis has a small list of franchises he would consider and we're on it (doubtful but not impossible) and the Cans wanted to make the playoffs the next couple of years instead of start over (possible, but doubtful).  I mean we could load up LMA, DD, Murray and a first or two but there are going to be better offers out there b/c of youth, money, and fit.  Sucks.  If we would have been in rebuild this year like some of us wanted, we could have used maybe LMA/Murray and/or Walker/and a lottery unprotected first to try and get in on the deal..... but alas, PATFO chose another course.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Need to go 20-10 in our final 30 to get to 50 wins.

For comparison, we’ve gone exactly 20-10 since Dec. 1.

Considering the way this team plays (wins over Toronto, Philly, Boston, Houston, Indiana, GS, Denver... but losses to Memphis, Phoenix, and Chicago), it’s probably not even worth trying to analyze the schedule.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Welch said:

Need to go 20-10 in our final 30 to get to 50 wins.

For comparison, we’ve gone exactly 20-10 since Dec. 1.

Considering the way this team plays (wins over Toronto, Philly, Boston, Houston, Indiana, GS, Denver... but losses to Memphis, Phoenix, and Chicago), it’s probably not even worth trying to analyze the schedule.

Good thoughts.  I had us going 18-12 down the stretch based on the RRT and some tougher in conference games down the stretch, but you're probably exactly right.  No way to understand this team.  Roll em out there and let it go.... GSG!

• Like 1