2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

Blowing it up!!!  Blowing it up!!!

Davis supposedly hasn't given a destination....

Probably the reason he told the NO front office now..... So they wouldn't sell off their future and can start selling other assets, even if they will wait on him.

Lakers and Knicks putting together packages..... Philly going to sit out.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

There's absolutely no reason for NO to even consider trades until this summer. At the deadline, there will be limited options available. Let everyone have a chance this summer and pick the best one.

I'm just glad he's leaving NO. Shit hole franchise with so zero vision or any chance of winning. It was inevitable. No one wants to play there.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25868546/anthony-davis-told-new-orleans-pelicans-re-sign

Raptors, anyone?

Several teams told ESPN they're already weighing the possibility of making offers for Davis, including contenders who'd be willing to use Davis to chase a championship this season and perhaps recoup assets lost in a trade to New Orleans by flipping Davis after the season -- or keeping him into the final year of his contract.

Edited by Machinator

Davis wants to play with LeBron and the Lakers have a ton of young talent to offer. The only question is how good would the Lakers be if they shipped off Kuzma, Ingram, Zubac and Ball? Not that any of those players have taken a gigantic step forward this season or have been able to carry LA in the absence of LeBron but they'd be strapped for depth. The Pelicans have all the leverage, Davis' contract isn't expiring so they can sit tight until the off season.

I view the Knicks as the dark horse candidate to acquire the brow in the off season. They can offer Kristap and potentially a #1 pick which would be hard to refuse. They acquire a talented big to replace the brow and a #1 pick to draft Zion to build a powerful front court. The Knicks have been shitty since forever, but it's a large market and it's rumored they're going to be big time players for KD, Kyrie and Jimmy Butler.

This might be a very chaotic situation and a lot depends on what Paul/AD announce publicly versus privately and when.  The Knicks and Lakers will be the most aggressive to move now before Boston can be a player but I think the Pelicans would be wise to go much more for lots of picks versus most of their young players.  Maybe involve third teams.  The most shocking rumor (I don't believe this for a second) I actually heard from someone actually working in the league is that Kyrie wants to go to LA if AD does and Kyrie reaching out to LeBron was greatly influenced by AD not LeBron.  

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

Not sure why any small market team fans bother to show up with the way the NBA has gone. 

The next collective bargaining agreement should be huge for the NBA. NFL Parody works. The NBA needs to figure out to do the same. 

its pointless. Whats the point if you have young players entering their prime when you have superstars plotting super teams in tropical/desirable cities? 

the day LeBron retires is the day the NBA might be able to go back to its old self. Theres a  ton of young players that Im excited about. if thats shadowed for the next 5-10 years of super teams being formed, then I'll check back in 2029.

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Not sure why any small market team fans bother to show up with the way the NBA has gone. 

The next collective bargaining agreement should be huge for the NBA. NFL Parody works. The NBA needs to figure out to do the same. 

It has nothing to do with small market.   That's lazy analysis.   Its poor management.    SA has been great for 20 plus yrs.    GSW was considered a small market until they got good management and started winning.

The NBA had "parity" in the early 70s.   No coincidence that that is considered one of the worst times in league history.

Edited by d2o

San Antonio got lucky as shit. In today’s age Tim would be gone after his rookie deal. Different times. 

This season would be the norm. Maxed out top 100 players and average role players, after watching their superstar draft pick force his way out of town. 

Good enough to miss the lottery, no chance at a title. These teams are forced to overpay from the C team superstars to sell tickets with no possibility for a championship.  

Edited by ChickenSandwich

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25874557/pelicans-rush-anthony-davis-deal-overwhelmed

After agent Rich Paul of Klutch Sports told ESPN on Monday that he had informed the Pelicans that Davis wouldn't sign an extension this summer and wanted a trade, multiple league sources expect the agent and star to soon deliver word throughout the league that Davis' preferred destination is the Lakers and he'll become a rental player until 2020 with a trade anywhere else.

More money for the players and a hard salary cap. Give contracts in percentage of the cap. If LeBron wants 70million a year and someone will pay, so be it.   His contract is 80% of his teams allocated cap space etc. 

lower the “over cap” players minimum to $75k. If players want to play for free with LeBron, let them or make them fill the roster from the G league. 

Get rid of all cap and trade exceptions/exemptions  

Be creative 

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

More money for the players and a hard salary cap. Give contracts in percentage of the cap. If LeBron wants 70million a year and someone will pay, so be it.   His contract is 80% of his teams allocated cap space etc. 

lower the “over cap” players minimum to $75k. If players want to play for free with LeBron, let them or make them fill the roster from the G league. 

Be creative 

So you are for the elimination of the max salary?     Even that wouldn't stop a situation where guys want to win.    LBJ could take 10M/yr and work with two other guys at 25M/ea then fill the roster out with spare parts.   

Its kinda funny cause for years the narrative was that players are motivated solely by money.    Now you have guys turning down insane sums of money to play for a chance at a title and people still aren't happy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

San Antonio got lucky as shit. In today’s age Tim would be gone after his rookie deal. Different times. 

This season would be the norm. Maxed out top 100 players and average role players, after watching their superstar draft pick force his way out of town. 

Good enough to miss the lottery, no chance at a title. These teams are forced to overpay from the C team superstars to sell tickets with no possibility for a championship.  

No SA was managed well.  There was some draft luck for sure but NO had draft luck and where did that get them?   Plenty of other teams have had good draft luck and not been able to repeat what SA has done.    SA has GREAT management that has put good players and a great coach/system around their great players and have worked that into 20+ yrs of greatness.     It wasn't luck.

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

So you are for the elimination of the max salary? 

I've always thought this would be the best option; hard cap and no max salaries.  Reward good management but pin total salaries to total revenue (like they do now.) I'm sure we'd have teams totally fuck themselves by overpaying for someone, so the whole "protecting teams from themselves" would have to be ignored. 

9 minutes ago, d2o said:

So you are for the elimination of the max salary?     Even that wouldn't stop a situation where guys want to win.    LBJ could take 10M/yr and work with two other guys at 25M/ea then fill the roster out with spare parts.   

Its kinda funny cause for years the narrative was that players are motivated solely by money.    Now you have guys turning down insane sums of money to play for a chance at a title and people still aren't happy.

They are still making insane amounts of money as well as the increase to their “personal” brand by being in a major market 

9 minutes ago, d2o said:

No SA was managed well.  There was some draft luck for sure but NO had draft luck and where did that get them?   Plenty of other teams have had good draft luck and not been able to repeat what SA has done.    SA has GREAT management that has put good players and a great coach/system around their great players and have worked that into 20+ yrs of greatness.     It wasn't luck.

We aren’t talking about 2000 and that is the point. You just had a Duncan caliber player leave your team. This is exactly what you said would not happen. No amount of role player or maxed out top100-50 make a difference. Change the name Leonard to Duncan and the situation is the same. It’s not bad management, it’s you have to have the superstars to win a title. 

It wouldn’t matter how well they were managed if Tim Duncan left after his rookie contract. 

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

We aren’t talking about 2000 and that is the point. You just had a Duncan caliber player leave your team. This is exactly what you said would not happen. No amount of role player or maxed out top100-50 make a difference. Change the name Leonard to Duncan and the situation is the same. It’s not bad management, it’s you have to have the superstars to win a title. 

It wouldn’t matter how well they were managed if Tim Duncan left after his rookie contract. 

Kawhi was a special case and I'm not sure why you don't understand that.    He fell out with the org for some reason that has yet to be given.     Every other superstar that has left a small market team over these last few yrs has done so in an effort to get to a winning situation.      

The only guy that I might dispute that with is KD as I thought OKC was very close.   Even then he still went to a better situation for him to win.   I hated the move but it was clearly a better situation.

I'm not in any way a Spurs fan but I can recognize that what they did was not luck.

12 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

They are still making insane amounts of money as well as the increase to their “personal” brand by being in a major market 

You clearly see the motivation to move differently.    If that was truly the case wouldn't the Knicks and Nets be tripping over superstars wanting to come there?   

SA was reportedly on Kyrie's short list when he put in his trade demand.

Guys aren't moving cause of market size.   They are moving because they see franchises that have direction and good management and they see their current franchises lack that.

Just now, aggie08 said:

This barely slows me down if I'm Boston or another interested team. Call the bluff. Dare LA to leave cap space open until June 2020. Waste another year of LeBron.

Absolutely agree..... There's no way Lebron has another "patient" or "developmental" year.  He'll also be 35 next year and the clock's ticking.  It's an empty request meant to try and scare off the pussies.

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

This barely slows me down if I'm Boston or another interested team. Call the bluff. Dare LA to leave cap space open until June 2020. Waste another year of LeBron.

Agreed, LA has to strike now.   

Edited by d2o

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

Kawhi was a special case and I'm not sure why you don't understand that.    He fell out with the org for some reason that has yet to be given.     Every other superstar that has left a small market team over these last few yrs has done so in an effort to get to a winning situation.      

The only guy that I might dispute that with is KD as I thought OKC was very close.   Even then he still went to a better situation for him to win.   I hated the move but it was clearly a better situation.

I'm not in any way a Spurs fan but I can recognize that what they did was not luck.

Paul George with Indiana wasn't a bad place necessarily.  A lot of it was fallout from his injury and they needed a little time to reload and did so....

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Paul George with Indiana wasn't a bad place necessarily.  A lot of it was fallout from his injury and they needed a little time to reload and did so....

He had his chance to go to a big market team last summer and chose not to.    OKC is still a better situation than IND was IMO.   PG's situation  (and what I believe Kawhi's will be) are prime examples why you make your play for AD and see how it works out.     If you have a package that you think would work and a team that you think is close, do it.  If you are winning, I believe that most guys will stay.

Edited by d2o

26 minutes ago, CBT said:

I've always thought this would be the best option; hard cap and no max salaries.  Reward good management but pin total salaries to total revenue (like they do now.) I'm sure we'd have teams totally fuck themselves by overpaying for someone, so the whole "protecting teams from themselves" would have to be ignored. 

Yep, a lot of these teams (like WAS) would massively overpay to keep their star player and fuck themselves into Bolivia.   The thing is, the rules to protect teams from themselves never work.    Teams always figure a way around them and screw themselves.

11 minutes ago, d2o said:

He had his chance to go to a big market team last summer and chose not to.    OKC is still a better situation than IND was IMO.   PG's situation  (and what I believe Kawhi's will be) are prime examples why you make your play for AD and see how it works out.     If you have a package that you think would work and a team that you think is close, do it.  If you are winning, I believe that most guys will stay.

My point wasn't his ultimate destination, simply that it was a winning situation in Indiana and a lot of their malaise was because he got hurt and they needed a couple of seasons to reload.  I think if PG stayed in Indiana, they probably could be top 4 in the East right now.  I'm glad that he stayed in OKC though.

46 minutes ago, d2o said:

Agreed, LA has to strike now.   

I think NO would be nuts to trade him so soon as I think the market won't depress at all this summer but you never know I suppose.  I'm not as high on Tatum and Brown as many are, but they certainly are a good foundation for a Boston trade offer.  If I'm New Orleans I would rather have the # 1 pick in the draft over any other young player in the league right now that is a likely trade candidate.  The only way the market depresses this summer much is if Anthony Davis says outright that he won't sign anywhere but LA and even that might not depress his value that much.  The Lakers need to offer everything they can now and hope NO bites, and that means basically everyone on the roster being available.  The Lakers could never do this of course, but I'd move even LeBron for Davis given their ages.  If I'm New Orleans, at minimum I'd want Ball, Hart, Kuzma, Zubac, Bonga, and good picks.  I'd also want the Lakers to take on bad salary in return to help rebuild, and that's probably a nonstarter as then the Lakers likely can't add a third star.  The Knicks will go all out because they dream of pairing him with Kyrie and feel they could get him to sign if AD is on their roster.

4 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I want so bad for this Pop rumor to be true. The one where he basically told Demps not to trade to the Lakers under any condition. Hahahaha. Please be real. Please.

Yea... I actually think it's pretty logical that Demps reached out to Pop.  Makes perfect sense and as I wrote yesterday, a lot of organizations were happy the Spurs didn't capitulate to the whims of a player and really his "entourage" and Klutch (who were interfering by making noise trying to get Kawhi to LA) to deal only with the Lakers.  There is no real reason to trade Davis now.  I wouldn't even entertain it unless it's an unrealistic offer.  Call the Lakers bluff and frankly, although I do like Kuzma, he does nothing else but score and Ingram still hasn't gotten much better.  I actually may like Zubac the most after those two.  

And here comes the parade....

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yea... I actually think it's pretty logical that Demps reached out to Pop.  Makes perfect sense and as I wrote yesterday, a lot of organizations were happy the Spurs didn't capitulate to the whims of a player and really his "entourage" and Klutch (who were interfering by making noise trying to get Kawhi to LA) to deal only with the Lakers.  There is no real reason to trade Davis now.  I wouldn't even entertain it unless it's an unrealistic offer.  Call the Lakers bluff and frankly, although I do like Kuzma, he does nothing else but score and Ingram still hasn't gotten much better.  I actually may like Zubac the most after those two.  

And here comes the parade....

The Raps are supposed to be in on him too.  Makes sense.    I think he puts either in the Finals and give them a decent shot against GSW.   If you win or at least give them a real run it's possible he stays.

Edited by d2o

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I just don't know if I like either packages either can give than possibly Zion or Tatum + stuff....

Thing is, Ainge has been pretty frugal with his reported offers.    If they somehow won the lottery, would he trade all of that or would he try to keep some of it.   Maybe he would go all in for AD.   Maybe not.

Edited by d2o

21 minutes ago, d2o said:

Thing is, Ainge has been pretty frugal with his reported offers.    If they somehow won the lottery, would he trade all of that or would he try to keep some of it.   Maybe he would go all in for AD.   Maybe not.

He was for Kawhi.... Reports are he's all in on Davis.  My thought is the Bucks sending over a bunch of role players doesn't move the needle for me because you need that foundational guy or 2nd.  Same with Toronto.... The more I look, the same with the Lakers.  Demps can probably talk to Ainge now and say I'll wait if Tatum is in the deal and if Ainge doesn't agree then they can say, all bets are off.  I'd rather have the Celtics in the bidding than not.