2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

43 minutes ago, Machinator said:

DxI3ygvUUAAKrXB.jpg

Good luck picking the 11th and 12th guys who are truly deserving on the Eastern Conference All-Stars.

Giannis

Kemba

Simmons

Kyrie

Butler

Embiid

Dipo

Blake

Lowry - not a great year, but high assist numbers

Vucevic

then...???

Beal maybe?

Siakam?

Tatum on name alone

Edited by aggie08

Drummond just does nothing for me. Russell trying to alter his career trajectory is a nice story, but he's not an All-Star yet. I knew Beal was having a good season amidst the drama, but I didn't realize it was THAT good. My bad.

So add Kawhi and Beal, and they have 12 on the number.

Delete user, ban thread.

Edited by aggie08

22 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Drummond just does nothing for me. Russell trying to alter his career trajectory is a nice story, but he's not an All-Star yet. I knew Beal was having a good season amidst the drama, but I didn't realize it was THAT good. My bad.

So add Kawhi and Beal, and they have 12 on the number.

Delete user, ban thread.

Yeah Beal has really been playing well and took it up a notch after Wall went down.    I just dont like Russell...........at all.  I think Dinnwiddie is better.

Edited by d2o

Someone like Drummond or a 2nd player from Milwaukee (probably Middleton) may get in over Lowry because it will be hard for coaches to look over his poor shooting AND 11 missed games. None of them really feel like All-Stars this year, but someone has to get the final slot.

Drummond is actually having one of his poorer years but still leading the league in rebounding.  

Russell may be in discussion for MOP at the end of the year but neither he nor Dinwiddie look like All-Stars in a healthy conference.  

The 2nd best player in Milwaukee has been Bledsoe (Brogdon right behind him).

A few guys having great years but won't make the team:  Siakam, Sabonis, Brogdon our own J Allen!

Edited by Patrick Bateman

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Okc forces overtime after Lonzo inexplicably fouls Westbrook on a last second 3. I have no idea what he was thinking. Either foul before he's near the 3 point line, or don't foul at all. Really dumb, and probably gave the game away.

It looked like he fouled before the shot, but it was dumb nevertheless. If you're going to foul, do it well before the offensive player is in range.

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

It looked like he fouled before the shot, but it was dumb nevertheless. If you're going to foul, do it well before the offensive player is in range.

The NBA Refs said it was a mistake to say he was in the act of shooting. Should have been 2 shots instead of 3.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25791230/refs-admit-mistake-end-regulation-thunder-lakers-game

Ball did redeem himself in overtime, hitting the first few buckets for them. I haven't really watched the Lakers this season, but they appear to have some good young players. Zubac was doing work, he seems like a good center who can defend, rebound and hit free throws. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

13 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Drummond is actually having one of his poorer years but still leading the league in rebounding.  

Russell may be in discussion for MOP at the end of the year but neither he nor Dinwiddie look like All-Stars in a healthy conference.  

A few guys having great years but won't make the team:  Siakam, Sabonis, Brogdon our own J Allen!

You dont think Middleton is having a better season than Bledsoe?  I think I would put Brogdon over him as well.

Edited by d2o

14 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Sabonis has been awesome. 

1 hour ago, d2o said:

You dont think Middleton is having a better season than Bledsoe?  I think I would put Brogdon over him as well.

Middleton has been disappointing and has had a dip in form from last season. Brogdon has been rock solid and Bledsoe is like their secondary catalyst after Giannis.

4 hours ago, d2o said:

Middleton's having a solid year, but he'd be 4th most deserving after Bledsoe and Brogdon.  It's funny watching the post game with Shaq, Kenny, and Chuck.  Love those guys because they're damn funny but they were saying Middleton deserves to go on Milwaukee.... their justification was because the Bucks were leading the East, at least 2 needed to go.  Again, they a riot but really don't do their homework on a day to day basis.  

As an aside.... you know who really doesn't deserve it this year but everyone is just assuming he should.... Victor Oladipo.  Having a disappointing season after last year.  He hasn't played terribly but missed about a quarter of the season and his shooting has been pretty lousy.  Still getting counting stats but efficiency which was his challenge in the past has disappeared. 

Cousins starting tonight @LAC. Must watch TV imo. This will be the best starting lineup in the history of the NBA (if it wasn't already). All-star at every position, two generational players, one borderline superstar, one of the greatest shooters ever and one of the most versatile defenders ever. 

Grab some popcorn. Everyone else playing for 2nd after tonight. 

Cousins starting tonight @LAC. Must watch TV imo. This will be the best starting lineup in the history of the NBA (if it wasn't already). All-star at every position, two generational players, one borderline superstar, one of the greatest shooters ever and one of the most versatile defenders ever. 
There's only one ball to go around. It's the law of diminishing returns. They aren't going to be that much better than they already have been the last few years.

31 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

They aren't going to be that much better than they already have been the last few years.

Maybe not right off the bat. Once they figure it out? It's going to be a joke. I think you're underrating how massive of an upgrade Cousins is going to be over the garbage they've been trotting out at center the past few years (not including when they've had Draymond or KD play center, but that just reinforces the point). 

The only hope is that it turns into an ego-fest, but I see no signs pointing towards that. Draymond and KD already had their little bitchfest and it looks like that is in the distant past now. 

It will be interesting to see at what level Boogie is able to play and then how much that effects the other guys' play.   I don't know if it is the forgone conclusion that many seem to think it is.     I mean this is Boogie we are talking about.    He has many reasons to keep his cool and be a great team player but again..........this is Boogie we are talking about.

18 minutes ago, d2o said:

It will be interesting to see at what level Boogie is able to play and then how much that effects the other guys' play.   I don't know if it is the forgone conclusion that many seem to think it is.     I mean this is Boogie we are talking about.    He has many reasons to keep his cool and be a great team player but again..........this is Boogie we are talking about.

I mean... he's won 2 gold medals with US basketball. Yeah he's a bit of a headcase but he has experience playing with an all-star roster at a high level. 

I wouldn't think they would be starting him if they felt he wasn't at 100%. Will his 100% be the same as it was pre-injury? Probably not. But, they don't need it to be. 

Like I said, unless it turns into a FGA squabble I think they are just going to roll everyone sans major injuries. 

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 hours ago, ztejas said:

There's only one ball to go around. It's the law of diminishing returns. They aren't going to be that much better than they already have been the last few years.

The Dream Team seemed to figure it out how to share the ball, I'm sure these guys can too.

Just now, ztejas said:

I mean... he's won 2 gold medals with US basketball. Yeah he's a bit of a headcase but he has experience playing with an all-star roster at a high level. 

I wouldn't think they would be starting him if they felt he wasn't at 100%. Will his 100% be the same as it was pre-injury? Probably not. But, they don't need it to be. 

Like I said, unless it turns into a FGA squabble I think they are just going to roll everyone sans major injuries. 

Kerr has already said he probably won't be starting all the time and he will be on a minutes restriction.    Him starting tonight is more symbolic than anything IMO.    

Regardless it will take some time for them to work out the kinks.   On paper they should be great.  

Just now, Dutchrudder said:

The Dream Team seemed to figure it out how to share the ball, I'm sure these guys can too.

They have an unselfish bunch which is key.     The Dream Team only had to make it work for a couple weeks.   Half a season plus playoffs is a long time.   

15 minutes ago, d2o said:

Kerr has already said he probably won't be starting all the time and he will be on a minutes restriction.    Him starting tonight is more symbolic than anything IMO.    

Regardless it will take some time for them to work out the kinks.   On paper they should be great.  

I guess I'm curious what people think the "kinks" are going to be. Who's to say it isn't a drubbing as soon as Cousins steps out there?

I mean we'll see in 6 hours. Just saying I wouldn't be surprised either way. Maybe it's a mess for a few games and they lose tonight, maybe it's over after the first quarter.

Going back to my original comment, I think it's must see TV either way. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I guess I'm curious what people think the "kinks" are going to be. Who's to say it isn't a drubbing as soon as Cousins steps out there?

I mean we'll see in 6 hours. Just saying I wouldn't be surprised either way. Maybe it's a mess for a few games and they lose tonight, maybe it's over after the first quarter.

Going back to my original comment, I think it's must see TV either way. 

Any basketball team introducing a new player that demands the ball will face some strain.   Its not even a knock on them.  Its pretty normal for pretty much any team.

I agree its must see TV.

Edited by d2o

On 1/17/2019 at 5:30 PM, Goo Punch said:

There's no maybe about Beal, he's been crushing it. 

Agree.  Beal gets no love ... probably because everyone's blinded by the glare of John Wall's "me" spotlight.  The Bullets are playing so much better "team" basketball without that jackass.  Too bad Wall is untradeable.

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If he misses more than 5 games, they're probably done.  The offseason should be interesting for them..... Guy has left 5 games early this year too.  

He seems to get knocked out of multiple games every yr.     Hardly ever major injuries but its interesting how often he gets hurt.