2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

Tyson Chandler blocks Trae Young for the win, and the Lakers (including LeBron) react like they just won a playoff series

It was a good play, quit hating. BTW, that's 5 and 1 their last 6. I get the feeling that some people on this board are going to have to eat their words.

19 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Pretty funny to watch "the GOAT" celebrate a win vs the Atlanta Hawks on November 11th like that. It was a great play, but it was still a funny reaction.

As long as the Lakers been losing I don't blame them. A losing record the last 5 seasons. They are starting to learn how to win. Once they figure that out, and figure out they can switch everything on defense they are going to be a tough out for someone come playoff time. No one is going to want to see them if they stay healthy.

Edited by Thatguy

Lebron was ecstatic because he understood if they lost, his FT choking ass was going to get killed in the press.  Dude is under 50% at the line under a minutes.  That's fucking terrible.  He's fortunate they were playing the Hawks, who are really bad.  The Lakers are a ton of fun to watch, for the drama and because they don't play D, it's an offensive affair.  Tyson Chandler already paying huge dividends.  He's saved two games already.  Tonight with the block and the other night by knocking a ball out off an O rebound which salted the game away.  

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

No one is going to want to see them if they stay healthy

Awesome. We're only a handful of games into the season, and LA has already replaced OKC as the mediocre, undisciplined team that--for reasons unknown--"no one wants to see in the playoffs."

The Lakers still have a lot of work to do but they should be encouraged by their play when LeBron is off the floor so far.  LeBron's Achilles has always been free throw shooting late (which I believe impacts his desire to drive) so that is kind of always going to be there.  It's one the very valid separators between Jordan and LeBron in all-time comparisons.  Chandler and McGee are possible train wrecks but if you look carefully at McGee so far, I think he's been pretty good and Chandler is a decent enough 10-15 min guy that shores up a glaring weakness in the first set of games.  Still some dumb mistakes from McGee, but I have to imagine the Lakers are thrilled with what they have gotten so far.  I thought the team would look very flat and undisciplined especially on defense the first 20-25 games at about .500 or so and maybe pick up a little steam over the rest of the season to squeak near 50 wins.  I still think that's about right as I believe they will be a better team at the end of the year than you are seeing now (if healthy) both from better familiarity and development and also LeBron starting to actually play harder.  

23 hours ago, aggie08 said:

You don't think that this package + a couple of first round picks, including Miami's 2021 pick would have got it done? I think that's a better deal for the future than what San Antonio ultimately accepted, but I guess it would have been a tough sell for Pop to give up Kawhi without getting a ready-made All-Star (at least in the East) in return.

Even if you throw in the picks, I think they got the better deal. I'm just not very high on Covington or Saric. Derozan is averaging 25 on 50% shooting, 6.8 reb and 6.5 assists and he's only a year older than Covington. You are hardly getting that production out of the other two guys, combined. If they would have thrown in Fultz, then you have to think about it.  But two who knows where draft picks down the road plus two role guys vs. a guy who was second team all NBA last year and is still only 29 years old AND is known to be a great teammate and leader? Yeah... .gimme Derozan  all day long.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

7 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Even if you throw in the picks, I think they got the better deal. I'm just not very high on Covington or Saric. Derozan is averaging 25 on 50% shooting, 6.8 reb and 6.5 assists and he's only a year older than Covington. You are hardly getting that production out of the other two guys, combined. If they would have thrown in Fultz, then you have to think about it.  But two who knows where draft picks down the road plus two role guys vs. a guy who was second team all NBA last year and is still only 29 years old AND is known to be a great teammate and leader? Yeah... .gimme Derozan  all day long.

I think it depends on what your goal is and the context of your team.  Without getting a solid 1st round pick out of the deal, I'm not as high on this deal for the TWolves as some may be.  The Twolves fancy themselves as a playoff team who want to build around KAT, a really good player who has crazy potential but is a bit soft, and Wiggins, all potential but full of empty stats at this stage of his development.  Lord Covington and Saric are some good players who could stabilize their rotation but where does that get them?  Further than they get with a healthy, bought in Butler?  Not really, but they do get a cheap young good piece in Saric and some salary relief if they wanted to flip Covington in the next year.  Still, you have to one of Philly's firsts out of the deal (preferably the Miami 1st).  So ultimately, the TWolves ended up with this trade:

Saric, Covington, 2nd round pick, and a year of Butler, Bayless' expiring deal 

for

LaVine, Dunn, Patton (who was a mid first who looks like a bust), and Markannen

LaVine is sort of like Wiggins right now.   Empty scoring but has potential.  Dunn is injured but flashed last year.  Patton looks like a bust but only 20.  Markannen was all rookie last year but injured this year, but looked like a good player.  Ugh.  Saric needs to become a suitable 3rd guy on a contender.  I like Saric more than most (you can make a case he's the 2nd best player out of all these players behind Butler), but he'll need to be very good and develop quickly.  Ultimately, I don't think it matters much as the TWolves are probably stuck in no man's land unless the light suddenly comes on for Wiggins.  They bet the 2nd contract max, almost 150 million, on him and he's just not that good.  That choice probably keeps them from ascending to a suddenly wide open for a top 4 seed in the West.  The East may be the better conference right now after 2 decades of futility and a lack of depth.

What's the definition of insanity?

I actually almost...almost...feel sorry for Melo. There had to be more going on behind the scenes, not just a bad basketball fit. The Rockets just need warm bodies at this point. I saw they only played 8 guys the other night, one of them only 13 minutes. That's not ideal in November.

Edited by aggie08

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I put $100 on ATL +12 (before this was announced). Smart or dumb? Fight me, either way.

Also, I went to the Hawks home opener last month at State Farm Arena when they came back from 24 points down and beat the Mavs, so they are my sentimental team right now and I'm man-crushing on Taurean Prince even if he is from Rape U.

33 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It's not that they're sitting him.  The W's are suspending him.  One game so not a big deal from a basketballs sense, but that locker room...... Hmmmm.....

From the clips of the "incident" on the court I saw, wasn't that big of a deal. Seemed like KD was just as chirpy and barking too. This tells me he must have gone savage on KD in the lockerroom and called him a bunch of homophobic words and things like a coward and "we don't need you" and you "ran to us" and crap like that, that hurts the chemistry.