2018-19 NBA Season Thread

BigOrange1

A few thoughts from tonight's game Warriors/Hawks. 

They are better than anyone else even without Curry.

Klay Thompson is a shooting machine

Trey Young looked like dog shit. 

Some of Golden State's new role players seem to be developing: Jones, Jerebko, and Looney looking much improved. 

They won't be stopped from winning the West.

Edited by immortal13

12 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I put $100 on ATL +12 (before this was announced). Smart or dumb? Fight me, either way.

Also, I went to the Hawks home opener last month at State Farm Arena when they came back from 24 points down and beat the Mavs, so they are my sentimental team right now and I'm man-crushing on Taurean Prince even if he is from Rape U.

I said fight me!

Green may also be the odd man out with salaries for GS if Durant stays too.  He's up a year after Klay and Durant, and even with the real estate boon (side landlord business essentially) coming for the Warriors with their new master arena plan, it may not be enough to pay him with those kind of luxury taxes.  They may decide to go with Jordan Bell and save some money.  They could even try and sneak Cousins in (a big IF he works out and is healthy so this is unlikely) the following year and then let Green walk.  If Durant does leave, even that might not guarantee Green getting paid the max.  I'm a huge Green fan and would argue at times he is the second most important player for the Warriors, but I am not sure how good he will be with his mindset and game once he crosses 30 years old and 30-40 million dollars a year down the road might be a bad hit. 

I also don't blame Durant too much about the free agency stuff, and especially him recently saying he's thinking about the money.  In my opinion, Golden State hasn't treated him 100% right in how they even joked about Durant needing to take a discount during their title celebration last time around but within a nanosecond had no issues with Curry getting a super max.  I think it's fair if some fans are annoyed that Durant joined the team that was already 73-9 and that just beat him with OKC, but he's also one of the best players in the world and the Warriors should be acting accordingly and it seems like more recently they are realizing this and so that's a good change in my opinion to keeping him.

• Like 2

Probably a good time to remind folks about how much of a loose cannon Draymond is.  ESPN always posited he was a huge part of the Warriors ascension to league's elite and probably be the reason it will all fall apart.  He's a guy who's gone after everyone including Kerr, Steph, and especially Klay.  Someone has to be the guy who stirs the shake but it's also smart to be self-aware.  You don't say shit like that to your best player.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17790252/golden-state-draymond-green-problem

Especially considering it's heavily rumored Draymond, after crying in his car after he was so singularly accountable to costing his team a championship, he called KD and begged him to come to the Bay, still in his car, tears fresh.  Also.... it's highly likely the Warriors don't win anymore championships unless KD joins them, certainly not last year, so who's the bitch?  This is a statement (with Curry tacitly in agreement) from the organization that, your shit is too much right now.  Quiet the fuck down or we'll get rid of you if it comes down to it.  I think they'll be fine and Draymond will apologize and it'll be over but if/when KD leaves this summer, this will inevitably be considered the point where it started to really go south....

I hate Green. He's a valuable defender and is critical to the "switch everything" style of defense, but his overall game is overrated. For someone with his game to have the attitude he does is laughable. I hope the Warriors do something crazy like trade him to Sacramento or Orlando.

Nah. Over the summer we were assured Green isnt a product of great players around him and is actually more valuable than Klay.

KD can leave...steph will miss time due to leg injuries...Klay will be the man and GS wont miss a beat.

39 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Probably a good time to remind folks about how much of a loose cannon Draymond is.  ESPN always posited he was a huge part of the Warriors ascension to league's elite and probably be the reason it will all fall apart.  He's a guy who's gone after everyone including Kerr, Steph, and especially Klay.  Someone has to be the guy who stirs the shake but it's also smart to be self-aware.  You don't say shit like that to your best player.

Especially considering it's heavily rumored Draymond, after crying in his car after he was so singularly accountable to costing his team a championship, he called KD and begged him to come to the Bay, still in his car, tears fresh.  Also.... it's highly likely the Warriors don't win anymore championships unless KD joins them, certainly not last year, so who's the bitch?  This is a statement (with Curry tacitly in agreement) from the organization that, your shit is too much right now.  Quiet the fuck down or we'll get rid of you if it comes down to it.  I think they'll be fine and Draymond will apologize and it'll be over but if/when KD leaves this summer, this will inevitably be considered the point where it started to really go south....

This notion just baffles me. 73-9, losing in game 7 of the finals by a possession, and you think they wouldn't have won another ring?  No way man, that's total bullshit. All KD did was take them from annual favorites to overwhelming favorites each year. They probably wouldn't be in the position to 3peat without KD, but they would be a top 2 team every year. 

Also, lol at Draymond crying into a phone begging KD to join the Warriors. Is there any evidence of this, or is it just more KD apologists trying to make him not look like a bitch that took the easy way out?

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

This notion just baffles me. 73-9, losing in game 7 of the finals by a possession, and you think they wouldn't have won another ring?  No way man, that's total bullshit. All KD did was take them from annual favorites to overwhelming favorites each year. They probably wouldn't be in the position to 3peat without KD, but they would be a top 2 team every year. 

Also, lol at Draymond crying into a phone begging KD to join the Warriors. Is there any evidence of this, or is it just more KD apologists trying to make him not look like a bitch that took the easy way out?

Why is KD a bitch for joining gsw but gsw ain't bitches for going after him in the first place? 

20 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The opinion shouldn't be baffling, I've shared it before.  If you think re-signing Harrison Barnes and Andrew Bogut get them another title, then good for you.  

Warriors would have regressed a lot in 2017 and the Cavs were better coming off a series the Warriors lost.  Houston blows their doors off last year.  And we haven't even gone over OKC if KD stays.

And the Draymond story was in a story from Zach Lowe.  Up to you if maybe the most respected NBA writer/analyst going today is a KD apologist.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19581798/zach-lowe-golden-state-warriors-forgiving-draymond-green-2017-nba-finals

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's the funny/weird part to me: whatever slim chance Dray has of getting the max or near max walks out the door if KD and Klay both stay this offseason. No team can absorb 4 max contacts, not even Golden State. And Klay's willingness to accept a huge discount has been grossly exaggerated. They'd obviously choose KD if it comes down to KD or Dray, but they'd most likely choose Klay over him too. Draymond's the better, more impactful player right now, but I'd bet on Klay in the long run. Better conditioning, solid defense, timeless shooting, low maintenance, etc.

I love Dray's game. When engaged, he's the best defender in the league, and the 2nd best big man passer. He can singlehandedly make your team defense elite (let's be honest: without Dray, Golden State's defense would be mediocre at best), and he can turn around and run an offense on a fast break or in the half court. They won a championship and had the best regular season ever with him as their clear 2nd best player. They'd still would have been the favorites--or close to it--without KD; though, like Dutchrudder said, they probably wouldn't be chasing a 3 peat.

...but Draymond obviously is a head case and a loose cannon. One whose recklessness already cost them one championship at the end of their dream season. He's conclusively shown that his shooting in 2015-2016 was an anomaly, and he'll never sneak up on 40% 3pt shooting again. Once he loses a half step, that's going to drastically limit his impact. He's already showing signs of being more injury prone, and essentially took last regular season off from playing hard defensively. He won't age gracefully, and his ego is unlikely to recognize his body's limitations.

In other words, dude's starting fights that he's going to lose.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

And the Draymond story was in a story from Zach Lowe.  Up to you if maybe the most respected NBA writer/analyst going today is a KD apologist.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19581798/zach-lowe-golden-state-warriors-forgiving-draymond-green-2017-nba-finals

I'm not seeing anything in there that says he was "crying in his car" after the game and then called KD. 

15 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The opinion shouldn't be baffling, I've shared it before.  If you think re-signing Harrison Barnes and Andrew Bogut get them another title, then good for you.  

Warriors would have regressed a lot in 2017 and the Cavs were better coming off a series the Warriors lost.  Houston blows their doors off last year.  And we haven't even gone over OKC if KD stays.

It's a fun "what if." One of the best aspects of KD's signing (you know, other than him being really awesome at basketball) was that it didn't force them to pay $95M for Harrison Barnes.

But, had KD not signed, Golden State would have used the salary spike to shore up their frontcourt after OKC pushed them around, and they were forced to play Ezeli and Varejao in Game 7 of an NBA Finals. I don't remember many great names being available in the 2016 big man free agent class, and they would have had to grossly overpay...but they couldn't possibly do worse than what they already had behind Bogut.

Vegas had them listed as the favorites after they lost the Finals and before KD signed, but you're right, by the 2017 Finals, the Cavs were much improved, especially offensively. It'll get lost in history now since the Finals only went 5 games, but Cleveland's offense was insane by June. Truly unstoppable. A KD-less Warriors would have had to be firing on all cylinders to have a puncher's chance.

Does Houston still go all in on winning now if KD never goes to the Warriors? Probably since Morey has always been infatuated with CP3. But maybe CP3 takes the supermax in LA if the Clippers aren't as hopelessly overmatched in a Western Conference without KD and Curry on the same team.

48 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

That's the funny/weird part to me: whatever slim chance Dray has of getting the max or near max walks out the door if KD and Klay both stay this offseason. No team can absorb 4 max contacts, not even Golden State. And Klay's willingness to accept a huge discount has been grossly exaggerated. They'd obviously choose KD if it comes down to KD or Dray, but they'd most likely choose Klay over him too. Draymond's the better, more impactful player right now, but I'd bet on Klay in the long run. Better conditioning, solid defense, timeless shooting, low maintenance, etc.

I love Dray's game. When engaged, he's the best defender in the league, and the 2nd best big man passer. He can singlehandedly make your team defense elite (let's be honest: without Dray, Golden State's defense would be mediocre at best), and he can turn around and run an offense on a fast break or in the half court. They won a championship and had the best regular season ever with him as their clear 2nd best player. They'd still would have been the favorites--or close to it--without KD; though, like Dutchrudder said, they probably wouldn't be chasing a 3 peat.

...but Draymond obviously is a head case and a loose cannon. One whose recklessness already cost them one championship at the end of their dream season. He's conclusively shown that his shooting in 2015-2016 was an anomaly, and he'll never sneak up on 40% 3pt shooting again. Once he loses a half step, that's going to drastically limit his impact. He's already showing signs of being more injury prone, and essentially took last regular season off from playing hard defensively. He won't age gracefully, and his ego is unlikely to recognize his body's limitations.

In other words, dude's starting fights that he's going to lose.

Most great teams eventually succumb to the Disease of Me (tm).

23 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I'm not seeing anything in there that says he was "crying in his car" after the game and then called KD. 

I believe the term from SLAM or SI was "stewing"..... lol.  Draymond's a crier, dat boy haz sad, a lot was on twitter after.  And the article is all about his two phone calls.  Since then, both players have tried to walk it back because it was clear tampering but Draymond admitted he had been recruiting KD for months and begging him to come to the Bay.  Now, who wouldn't want to have the 2nd best player in the league but that's what so funny.  Draymond begging KD to come and bail them out after 2016 and then 2 years later trying to play they had this and didn't need his contributions.  Revisionist history.

16 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

It's a fun "what if." One of the best aspects of KD's signing (you know, other than him being really awesome at basketball) was that it didn't force them to pay $95M for Harrison Barnes.

But, had KD not signed, Golden State would have used the salary spike to shore up their frontcourt after OKC pushed them around, and they were forced to play Ezeli and Varejao in Game 7 of an NBA Finals. I don't remember many great names being available in the 2016 big man free agent class, and they would have had to grossly overpay...but they couldn't possibly do worse than what they already had behind Bogut.

Vegas had them listed as the favorites after they lost the Finals and before KD signed, but you're right, by the 2017 Finals, the Cavs were much improved, especially offensively. It'll get lost in history now since the Finals only went 5 games, but Cleveland's offense was insane by June. Truly unstoppable. A KD-less Warriors would have had to be firing on all cylinders to have a puncher's chance.

Does Houston still go all in on winning now if KD never goes to the Warriors? Probably since Morey has always been infatuated with CP3. But maybe CP3 takes the supermax in LA if the Clippers aren't as hopelessly overmatched in a Western Conference without KD and Curry on the same team.

Sure..... obviously in Earth 2 we may be able to peak and see exactly what happened but we'll never really know.  Again, my opinion is based off the majority of reports of what the Warriors were expected to do and they were expected to re-sign Barnes and try to keep Bogut, who was the hub of their interior defense at that time.  Al Horford was available but couldn't afford him with Barnes.  Pau Gasol?  Biyombo?  Mahinimi?  Noah?  Don't think you could have afforded Dwight Howard.  Boban!!!!!

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Just to be clear here, does anyone think this really matters? Yea they’ll be done after this season but I don’t know why we’re pretending they aren’t going to win it all again.

They are definitely going to win it all this year barring major injuries. I don't think anyone is denying that. Moving forward after this season is why this is so interesting. So many rumblings of KD wanting out after this season. It will be an entertaining offseason to see how it shakes out.

It reminds me of the Seahawks and how they fell apart at the seams because of in house/locker room issues. Seahawks were great for about that 4 year stretch and then it came apart.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

And I really don't have a problem with that Green did. KD came at him yapping. Regardless of if KD was right, he came at Green. What was Green supposed to do? Back down like a bitch? 

And if Green had kept the argument about basketball, then it would have been no big deal. No suspension, no sending Curry on house calls to clear the air. The media would have fun with it for a week, and that would be that. But there's really only two rules that you have to follow in a pro locker room:

1) Don't fuck with anybody's wife/girlfriend/mistress/baby momma/mother/favorite stripper

2) Don't get involved in another man's money

Dray has no business calling out KD for exploring free agency. What does he expect? KD to commit to Golden State in November? KD learned the hard way about making promises and giving people false hope in OKC. He doesn't know where he's going, nor should he have to decide before all the variables are on the table.

Next year, when the Warriors aren't willing to offer Dray the max, we'll see how his opinion changes about exploring other options.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

And if Green had kept the argument about basketball, then it would have been no big deal. No suspension, no sending Curry on house calls to clear the air. The media would have fun with it for a week, and that would be that. But there's really only two rules that you have to follow in a pro locker room:

1) Don't fuck with anybody's wife/girlfriend/mistress/baby momma/mother/favorite stripper

2) Don't get involved in another man's money

Dray has no business calling out KD for exploring free agency. What does he expect? KD to commit to Golden State in November? KD learned the hard way about making promises and giving people false hope in OKC. He doesn't know where he's going, nor should he have to decide before all the variables are on the table.

Next year, when the Warriors aren't willing to offer Dray the max, we'll see how his opinion changes about exploring other options.

1gzf5o.gif

Regarding GSW winning even without Durant, that neglects to factor in Durant going somewhere else.  Put Durant on Boston - who just made two straight Eastern Finals and they would have been a VERY serious title contender.  Same if he goes to San Antonio.  Same if he stays in OKC.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Regarding GSW winning even without Durant, that neglects to factor in Durant going somewhere else.  Put Durant on Boston - who just made two straight Eastern Finals and they would have been a VERY serious title contender.  Same if he goes to San Antonio.  Same if he stays in OKC.

I'd say it's time for Oklahoma City to give Durant his due, give the man a tribute & standing ovation for his time in the Thunder franchise... #YouJustNeverKnow...

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

46262658_2384650368248372_55456045292710

That's amazing when you consider how much a passer LeBron is too.  He may end up at the end of his career with a longevity similar to Kareem and a peak similar to Jordan. (2 players I currently have on my own basketball Mt. Rushmore all-time) Pretty good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Bron drops 44, 10, and 8. Lakers beat Portland twice in a row, and after the rough start are winning at an impressive clip. They are now 8-6, and 7-5 vs the West.

Took a bit but they are rounding into form. They had to get used to playing with each other. Weird to say but they could be a 2 or 3 seed. Especially if Houston stays the way they are. The West seems very ehhh after Golden St so far.