Running Alt-Right Thread of Mockery and Hypocrisy

bad_teammate

That's what I love about Southern Baptists in Texas.  they took all the shittiest parts of Catholicism and doubled down on them (racism, sexual abuse, degrading women, etc.), while pissing away the good parts like history, music, teaching, higher education, hospitals, alcohol, architecture, and the Irish.  They could literally fuck up a cup of coffee.  

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

So your wife/significant other is a pastor and that proves his post is horseshit? 

Yes, precisely.  I need external validation that appeals to authority to come to the alternate conclusion that Christianity is just a cover for racism.  Me and all totally normal brains agree on this line of reasoning. 

Edited by Anastasis

Just now, Anastasis said:

Yes, precisely.  I need external validation that appeals to authority to come to the conclusion that Christianity is just a cover for racism.  Me and all totally normal brains agree on this line of reasoning. 

Segregation. Good or bad? 

It was always an anomaly and curiosity when a black person showed up at a white church I went to.

Same thing when I showed up at a black church. 

Why is that? Coincidence?

It's a cover for shit that is so much more fun than racism.  Also, have you ever been surrounded by 50 people that were related to one another and the only thing they had in common was their organized religion and their very presence to substitute for Ambien when you're having trouble falling asleep?  

But yeah, somebody sell me on Southern Baptism.  In Texas for 25+ years now and I guess have purposely avoided getting to know it.  But I'm starting to open up in my old age.  

Edited by Lobo

7 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I mean I eat at pappadeauxs all the time and there are plenty of both white people and black peoples there every single time I go.

Did the Cajuns figure out the key to desegregation before the Christians?

i dont even know where to start with this jibberish. 

Horseshit. And not shocked that nobody here is willing to call this out as such. But what do I know. Not married to a pastor or anythingl. 

“Also married to a pastor” checking in. And she would very much agree that many of the institutions of American Christianity are steeped in and continue to cover for and enable racism.
But, you know, it’s not like we have denominations right now that split and/or were founded literally over the issue of differing positions on slavery. And Jim Crow. And the sin of ordaining women. And hey, we’re undergoing splits in real time over the issue of treating gay people like regular ole people people. Bottom line, whenever there has been a juncture in our history of decency and progress versus rigid, authority-based discrimination, major religious denominations and institutions have fought - with righteous fury - against decency and progress.
The track record of Christianity in the US (and it ain’t just here) is pretty abysmal. Says my pastor wife. Atonement could be the job of Christianity for the next millennium, and we might make a dent in it.
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

“Also married to a pastor” checking in. And she would very much agree that many of the institutions of American Christianity are steeped in and continue to cover for and enable racism.
But, you know, it’s not like we have denominations right now that split and/or were founded literally over the issue of differing positions on slavery. And Jim Crow. And the sin of ordaining women. And hey, we’re undergoing splits in real time over the issue of treating gay people like regular ole people people. Bottom line, whenever there has been a juncture in our history of decency and progress versus rigid, authority-based discrimination, major religious denominations and institutions have fought - with righteous fury - against decency and progress.
The track record of Christianity in the US (and it ain’t just here) is pretty abysmal. Says my pastor wife. Atonement could be the job of Christianity for the next millennium, and we might make a dent in it.

Anastasis doesn’t even know where to start with this jibberish.

Actually this was very well said and was much better articulated than what I had been not so eloquently trying to say. Christianity in America has a race problem. Its time to start addressing it. 

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That a lot of words seeking only to angle agreement with the definitive statement “Christianity is just a cover for racism.” 

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

That a lot of words seeking only to angle agreement with the definitive statement “Christianity is just a cover for racism.” 

And of course Christianity in America reflects a complex history wrt race.  Every institution in this country does. It is our common societal sin.

Christianity - at least the form that is the dominant cultural faith - has a REAL problem with racism.  It is often a cover for racism.  Pastors from the pulpits of the most powerful denominations and congregations have openly preached, purportedly citing scripture, against the evils of race-mixing, interracial marriage, etc. etc.  "Christianity" - if we are to define it in the US as a dominant cultural force, IS a cover for racism. The fact that this is a "common societal sin" is, like, the whole fucking problem.  That Christianity is a COVER and a shield for the shitty ways our society believes ("religious freedom!" ring a bell?) is the fucking OPPOSITE of what Christianity was, and should be.

Christianity fighting against racism?  Well, that's a plucky, upstart angle for Christianity in the US.  And it's a much smaller blip on the radar of cultural influence.

Just now, DigglerontheHoof said:

Why limit Christianity to racism, it does so well w/ many areas of discrimination!

Good point, racism is actually pretty far down the list for most denominations.  Sexism, homophobia, transphobia, nationalism, et. al. probably rank higher at the annual convention.

And of course Christianity in America reflects a complex history wrt race.  Every institution in this country does. It is our common societal sin.

Peak Anastasis right here.  "Actually you're as responsible for what you oppose as those who support it are. Totally normal brains."'

ETA: "The real problem we need to be discussing is this discrimination against Christianity by those it discriminates against."

Edited by wildcat09

I didn't say anything about discrimination against Christianity.  In fact I've stated previously, only really half kidding, that the best thing for Christianity today would be a few more lions. My push back was directed at the statement that "Christianity is just a cover for racism." And as a side note, yes the lingering effects of slavery and racism are pervasive to our society, including our national religious institutions. That doesn't seek to absolve anyone or anything.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I didn't say anything about discrimination against Christianity.  In fact I've stated previously, only really half kidding, that the best thing for Christianity today would be a few more lions. My push back was directed at the statement that "Christianity is just a cover for racism." And as a side note, yes the lingering effects of slavery and racism are pervasive to our society, including our national religious institutions. That doesn't seek to absolve anyone or anything.   

"Lingering effects" my ass.  Our religious institutions haven't just been dragged along into supporting shittacularly evil stuff like preaching that interracial marriage is the work of the devil and should be opposed at every turn -- they have been LEADING from the front on that shit.  When it comes to racism and cruelty, American faith institutions have regularly been the tip of the spear.  Absolution?  Shit, they'd first have to acknowledge wrongdoing.  We're not even close to there.  Robert Jeffres and Liberty University -- literally two of the greatest thought leaders in American government right now, today -- say "hi."

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"Lingering effects" my ass.  Our religious institutions haven't just been dragged along into supporting shittacularly evil stuff like preaching that interracial marriage is the work of the devil and should be opposed at every turn -- they have been LEADING from the front on that shit.  When it comes to racism and cruelty, American faith institutions have regularly been the tip of the spear.  Absolution?  Shit, they'd first have to acknowledge wrongdoing.  We're not even close to there.  Robert Jeffres and Liberty University -- literally two of the greatest thought leaders in American government right now, today -- say "hi."

I think you guys are both right within your frame. I think what it comes down to is that to be a Christian is to follow and not merely or even always to admire. It's incredibly difficult to do the former and far too easy to be the latter. It's like Daniel Defoe's riff on Luther - 

"Wherever God erects a house of prayer,
The Devil always builds a chapel there,
And 'twill be found upon examination,
The latter has the largest congregation;"

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 3

Also, this happened last week

https://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/infowars-loses-appeal-in-sandy-hook-defamation-lawsuit/

In a ruling rendered August 30, 2019, Jones’ appeal to the Texas Court of Appeals from the District Court of Travis County was dismissed. Jones was ordered to “pay all costs relating to this appeal, both in this Court and in the court below.”

“We agree with Heslin that the district court has not yet ruled on Appellants’ motion to dismiss, nor has the motion been overruled by operation of law. Accordingly, we dismiss the appeal for lack of jurisdiction,” Justice Gisela Triana wrote in the opinion.

Infowars’ failed appeal wasted nearly a year of time in Heslin’s lawsuit against Infowars. Mark Bankston, an attorney representing Heslin, said the next steps in the case won’t be clear until parties meet with the court.

“Mr. Heslin is very pleased with the decision of the Court of Appeals dismissing InfoWars’ appeal and ordering Mr. Jones to pay costs. After InfoWars wasted everyone’s time on a frivolous appeal, we can now return to the trial court where we intend to hold Mr. Jones fully accountable for his disgusting defamation of Mr. Heslin,” Bankston told Right Wing Watch.

The dismissal of Infowars’ appeal last week is yet another blow to the conspiracy theory outlet, which has found itself facing multiple lawsuits related to its coverage of the Sandy Hook shooting.

• Like 1

These Republicans have literally gone INSANE trying to own the libs and defend Trump.

I fully expect Dan Crenshaw to walk into a Walmart, strapped with an AR-15, and shoot himself in the leg, then wrestle the AR-15 away from himself and shoot himself in the arm with a CHL and then boldly claim that CHL holders save lives. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

"Before the Entente between all patriots of true and untainted blood can seek pain relief caused by the cosmopolitan mongrels who desecrate our culture like parasitic worms, burrowing bacillus, if you will, you must rapidly take note of this 1-800 number.  Do not hesitate, for the boiling waves of darkness take satanic shape in the form of the impure and will devour you all.  Rejoice in the fish oil.  Consume the fish oil with retaliatory fervor and feel well my fellow soldiers.  Fish oil!  FISH OIL!!!  ... $19.95 shipping not included."

Sit back and enjoy the sweet sweet tears from Milo and Jacob as they bemoan their shrinking income streams.

“I CANNOT PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE WITH THE MEASLY FOLLOWERS ON THESE SMALL SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS!”

Get a real job, ya shrinkydinks.

Screenshots in case you can’t read them in the tweet -

59e1f0de03f59b4335fac500af774a34.jpg
2bbbb159d4f4fdf21bb7a9592ba47179.jpg444e073305c4e71f66566f97248ca6e5.jpg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

So is he discovering that many of his followers on twitter were bots, and that the people behind the bots don’t give a shit about the smaller platforms?

Because somehow, I don’t think 4 million actual fans on one platform equates to only 20,000 on another.  

Shame  that he’s also discovering how the free market works.

• Pancho changed the title to Running Alt-Right Thread of Mockery and Hypocrisy