2018-2019 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

On 12/17/2018 at 10:21 PM, runthebone said:

Nice addition.  Don't see how this blocks Tucker, it is a two year deal for a fragile player who might end up at DH or 1B a lot.  And, as mentioned, if Reddick sucks again, there will be plenty of OF ABs. 

This. Brantley and Yuli will do most of the DH work. Don't trade Tucker. This could haunt us forever. 

Trust in Luhnow. We just signed the best bat on the market, not the most talented.

Wearing #23.  I sure hope the curse of that # doesn't continue.  Gotta go back to Eric Anthony (and I guess Doug Jones for a year) days for someone worth a shit to wear it.  

Nelson Cruz is gonna have to pick a different number.  And so is AJ Re....oh neverfucking mind 

Edited by Scraps

15 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Rumor mill is Realmuto trade to Stros heating up. Stros apparently have best offer out there, but plenty of teams in play and Marlins arent in a huge hurry

Interesting. The last I read today,  there’s only three teams and they want to have it done by Christmas. So the exact opposite.

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

I wouldn't classify by Christmas a huge hurry. I mean like tonight.

I saw like 4 teams in play, but Stros best at the moment

Gotcha.

Personally, Id consider an arbitrary deadline in less than a week when the season is more than 3 months away a hurry, but I can see how that’s relative.

I also find it telling that most of what I’ve read about the Astros being so hot on him is coming from a Marlins reporter. Seems like between that and the deadline they’ve imposed they’re trying to create a false sense of urgency.

5 hours ago, Scraps said:

Wearing #23.  I sure hope the curse of that # doesn't continue.  Gotta go back to Eric Anthony (and I guess Doug Jones for a year) days for someone worth a shit to wear it.  

Nelson Cruz is gonna have to pick a different number.  And so is AJ Re....oh neverfucking mind 

How dare you

usa-today-9270702.0.jpg

Gotcha.
Personally, Id consider an arbitrary deadline in less than a week when the season is more than 3 months away a hurry, but I can see how that’s relative.
I also find it telling that most of what I’ve read about the Astros being so hot on him is coming from a Marlins reporter. Seems like between that and the deadline they’ve imposed they’re trying to create a false sense of urgency.
Yeah who knows what is actually true

6 hours ago, Scraps said:

That's not the bomb that had a star the seat, is it? I don't think so

What’s shit is he doing?

Stupid millennial shit. Really stepped up the social media game in the offseason and seems much more focused on a lot more off the field stuff than last offseason...but again, maybe that’s just perception because he/his PR person is posting so much more.
It’s fine and good for him for trying and market himself. But like above poster said, just not my cup of tea.

21 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

What PR agency is running the show for Bregs? Because all the shit he’s doing seems like it sucks...

100%...The workout videos are pretty cool just to see what he's doing in the off season but the other stuff is lame. I respect him helping out the waitress with the huge tip but that was a really odd way of doing it.

I actually like him doing a YouTube channel, he's just marketing himself. Manfred said something about trout needing to market himself and other players needing to do more and get their name and brand out there around the all star break, I just see bregman thinking long-term and seeing he can build himself up on his terms.

Bregs just thinking long-term, of course I'm drinking at hughies right nowthough

Astros
Of the five teams mentioned in this story, the Astros have the best farm system. They possess the top tandem of position and pitching prospects in outfielder Kyle Tucker and right-hander Forrest Whitley, though those two have been in the organization together for a few years already.

Astros' Top 30

Houston traded several intriguing farmhands in July for veteran reinforcements, but still saw its system stock surge thanks to the emergence of the likes of right-handers Josh James (who led the entire Minors in strikeout rate with 13.5 per nine innings), Corbin Martin, Bryan Abreu and Brandon Bielak. Outfielder Seth Beer became the system's second-best position prospect when he signed as a first-rounder in June, then hit .304/.389/.496 while reaching Class A Advanced in his pro debut.

Top Prospects: Beer, HOU

Top Prospects: Beer, HOU00:39Jul. 25th, 2018