2018-2019 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Which package would you rather have:

Bryce Harper, Zack Greinke, Marco Estrada, and Justin Wilson

Yasmani Grandal, Michael Brantley, J.A. Happ, Charlie Morton, and Andrew Miller

I'll take B, without Grandal.  Give me another bat either in FA or via trade.  How about Abreu for DH?  I read the Astros may still be sniffing around acquiring him.

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Which package would you rather have:

Bryce Harper, Zack Greinke, Marco Estrada, and Justin Wilson

Yasmani Grandal, Michael Brantley, J.A. Happ, Charlie Morton, and Andrew Miller

A. Harper is the best player of either group. In his "down" year in 2018 he had a 135 wRC+, which would have tied him with Altuve for second-place on the 2018 Astros. And Greinke can still pitch. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

1 hour ago, Mez2 said:

I'm going to continue to trust jeff luhnow, but would've been nice to have cutch roaming leftfield with this lineup. And really would've liked cruz as a DH

i like cutch as a dude, and he had a really nice stretch a few years back, but he just seems like the type of guy that settles into a .260/17/65 rut as he gets into his 30's.  which is totally fine, but not for the type of money he's gonna make with philly.  3 for $50mm?  no thanks.  we basically have reddick already doing that at a 25% discount.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

That would be pretty impressive.  How many 2.5-3.0 WAR 22 year olds have there been?

Well you’re assuming McCutchen puts up 2.5-3 WAR. Part of my prediction is rooted in skepticism of that.

But, beyond that-Correa did. Bregman was 23, but put up 3.5 in his first full season. Altuve put up 2.0 at 22.

11 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Well you’re assuming McCutchen puts up 2.5-3 WAR. Part of my prediction is rooted in skepticism of that.

But, beyond that-Correa did. Bregman was 23, but put up 3.5 in his first full season. Altuve put up 2.0 at 22.

I don't know, Cutch has been pretty consistent offensively over the past few seasons and it is much easier to hit HRs as a RHH in Citizens Bank vs AT&T Park.  

Given how Tucker played in Fresno to end the season, I wouldn't be shocked if he's able to put up offensive rate stats sufficient to garner 2-2.5 WAR if he's afforded enough PAs.  From looking through FG, it appears there are a few 21, 22 year olds that put up 2 WAR each season, although most of them put up more defensive value than Tucker could likely put up.  

Charlie Morton, Weighing Two-Year Offers, Could Sign Soon:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/12/charlie-morton-weighing-two-year-offers-could-sign-soon.htm

Veteran right-hander Charlie Morton could decide on his new team as early as today, according to Fancred Sports’ Jon Heyman (Twitter link).  Morton has received several two-year offers that could be worth as much as $30MM.

The Rays, Rangers, and Astros have all been linked to Morton this offseason, though it’s fair to assume that many other clubs have also at least checked in on a pitcher who posted a 3.36 ERA, 10.4 K/9, and a 3.19 K/BB rate over 313 2/3 innings over the last two seasons.  Morton turned 35 in November and has weighed retirement in the past, so one would figure many teams would be interested in a short-term arrangement.  Morton could be seen as an alternative to J.A. Happ, another veteran arm who is still quite productive in the latter stages of his career, but one that is looking for a three-year deal.  MLBTR projected Morton for a two-year, $32MM pact heading into the offseason.

As of mid-November, Houston had reportedly only offered Morton a one-year deal with an option, though the Astros certainly could have since upped their offer to a second guaranteed year.  Morton had expressed an interest in a return to Houston or in pitching for a team closer to Delaware, where his wife’s family resides.  The Rangers aren’t a fit in this regard (and aren’t expected to be contenders in 2019), while the Rays are at least an east coast team, if not overly close to Delaware.  The Phillies and Nationals are the most logical geographic fits, and since both teams have been searching for starters this winter, you’d have to guess that Morton would at least be on their radar.

Edited by Seasick Sailor

12 hours ago, TexArcher said:

3 years and $50 million for Cutch is asinine.

Not really. They're paying for his age-32, 33 and 34 seasons. He had the worst year of his career in 2016 (and he was still an above-average hitter), but the last two years he has posted wRC+ of 123 and 120 and OBP of .363 and .368. He is still a good offensive player. He's averaged ~3 WAR the last two seasons; if he only averages 2 WAR/year over the next 3, it's a good deal. 

29 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Not really. They're paying for his age-32, 33 and 34 seasons. He had the worst year of his career in 2016 (and he was still an above-average hitter), but the last two years he has posted wRC+ of 123 and 120 and OBP of .363 and .368. He is still a good offensive player. He's averaged ~3 WAR the last two seasons; if he only averages 2 WAR/year over the next 3, it's a good deal. 

Disagree.  You can't reasonably expect anything more than .250-270 with 20-25 HR and 10 SB at this point.  That can be had for less than $17 million a year.

24 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So right now our rotation is JV, Cole, McHugh, Peacock, and Valdez/James?

Whitley will be in the rotation by June. Luhnow will sign some no-name . Brent Strom will modify his delivery and turn him into a Cy Young candidate. I don't see a problem here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mez2 said:

yeeesh - this sucks. i understand you can't sign players off of emotions but really thought we'd offer something to CFM. 

would rather him retire than play for another team but that's just me being selfish. 

We did offer him something.  He wanted a 2 yr deal.  Stros only want to give a 1 yr with option.  

Tampa ponies up the 2 yr deal so they get him