2018-2019 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

Per sources, Mariners getting Yankees' No. 1 prospect, LH Justus Sheffield, plus No. 22 prospect RH Erik Swanson and OF Dom Thompson-Williams in exchange for Paxton, who has 2 years of arbitration control left and is a big-time stud when healthy.

Don't see that Astros giving up that much in exchange for Paxton

Whitley and Tucker should be off the table for any player with less than 3 years of control remaining, regardless of how good the player is. And even for guys with only 3 years left, they need to be a superstar on an affordable contract.   Probably only 20-30 guys in the entire league I’d be ok with trading Tucker or Whitley for.

Just now, Mez2 said:
 @Ken_Rosenthal
FollowFollow @Ken_Rosenthal
More

#Astros, #STLCards are the two teams that have had the most meaningful discussions with the #DBacks about a trade for Paul Goldschmidt, sources tell The Athletic. No deal is close; talks not yet advanced.

I keep thinking about a deal for Goldschmidt and Greinke...not sure what it would take, but supposedly AZ wouldn't demand too much in the way of prospects for Greinke if we took on all of his salary (~ 90 million for 3 years I think). We have to do something to shore up the rotation for the next few seasons. 

Still don't think we can afford to deal Whitley in that sort of trade, but if we want to go all-in while we still have this core, a deal like this makes some sense. 

51 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I keep thinking about a deal for Goldschmidt and Greinke...not sure what it would take, but supposedly AZ wouldn't demand too much in the way of prospects for Greinke if we took on all of his salary (~ 90 million for 3 years I think). We have to do something to shore up the rotation for the next few seasons. 

Still don't think we can afford to deal Whitley in that sort of trade, but if we want to go all-in while we still have this core, a deal like this makes some sense. 

43 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

AZ has said, i forget where i saw it, they would likely take on about $10 of Grienke's contract with a trade partner, if that helps 

Arizona needs to eat $20-30M just to get Greinke back to even value, and that is before talking about sending any prospects of note in exchange.  I wouldn’t think Tucker or Whitley would be in play for Greinke even if they ate 80% of the contract.  Hell, to get a decent prospect like Bukauskas or Alvarez I think they’d need to eat half.  Combining Goldschmidt and Greinke (along with eating salary) can help Arizona parlay 2 short term assets with minimal surplus value into a decent long term asset.  Greinke, Goldy, and $40M probably can get them a good package like JB Bukauskas, Cionel Perez, and AJ Reed.

The prospect cost for the Paxton trade seems pretty light, but I imagine Paxton's health issues may have discounted his trade value, as from a performance standpoint he's an excellent SP.  Seattle may also really like Swanson, who is someone with very impressive numbers (albeit at an older age) without much of a prospect pedigree.  I kinda doubt Seattle really thought they had a shot at acquiring Whitley if they were willing to accept NY's package.

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Saw from the comments that was from the 1980 All Star game.  From Baseball Reference I see that he started and threw 2 innings.  It looks like the righty was Carlton Fisk and the lefty who almost falls down was Reggie Jackson.  J.R. was from before my time.  I would have liked to see him pitch.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WBT said:

Saw from the comments that was from the 1980 All Star game.  From Baseball Reference I see that he started and threw 2 innings.  It looks like the righty was Carlton Fisk and the lefty who almost falls down was Reggie Jackson.  J.R. was from before my time.  I would have liked to see him pitch.

I watched it. Jackson had no chance. None. Especially with JR throwing into the shadows, that was like trying to hit a bullet from a .30-06. 

Those who never saw JR pitch will never really know what they missed. For a little while there, he almost made Nolan look mortal. Beast mode to the nth degree. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Man, I need to read up on Abreu. Not a farm system junkie but feel I at least know a little about each guy that could be considered in the range of ~35-50 in the conversation for the 40 man...

But I have no idea anything about him

He's another #AstrosSleeper.  

Kaplan on Abreu being added (and other Rule 5 tidbits) Ferrell, Arauz, and Ferguson are names he called out as being susceptible to being picked.

It might have been difficult for a team to stash Bryan Abreu on their active major league roster all of next season, the stipulation for keeping a Rule 5 Draft pick for the future. The 21-year-old right-hander has yet to even pitch wire to wire with a full-season minor league affiliate and reached low-A ball only last July.

But the Astros didn’t want to risk that a rebuilding team — maybe even the Mike Elias-led Orioles — would pull it off. That is why, despite his distance from the majors and the fact he’s never shown up on any top prospect lists, Abreu was added to Houston’s 40-man roster before Tuesday night’s Rule 5 protection deadline.

The move was telling of Houston’s opinion of Abreu, who would’ve been Rule 5 eligible because he’s been in professional baseball for five years. Though Abreu’s not nearly as well known as the other players they protected Tuesday — catcher Garrett Stubbs and right-hander Rogelio Armenteros — the Astros view his upside as immense.

Not surprisingly considering the organization he’s in, Abreu’s best weapon is a 12-6 curveball that team officials believe rivals any in their minor league system. His fastball velocity sits in the low-to-mid 90s, and he rounds out his repertoire with a slider and a changeup.

“I think Bryan is one of those guys that, had we left him unprotected, people would have heard of him because someone might have popped him (in the Rule 5 Draft),” Astros president of baseball operations Jeff Luhnow said. “He’s just one of those big arms that tends to get popped in the Rule 5 even though he hasn’t pitched above A ball.”

Walks plagued Abreu early in his professional career, which began in earnest when Houston signed him out of the Dominican Republic in November 2013. The Astros’ brass was encouraged by improvements he made with his control last season, though; a progression demonstrated by the 90:23 strikeout-to-walk ratio he compiled in 54 1/3 innings across two levels.

Cumulatively, Abreu had a 1.49 ERA while mixing starts and relief appearances for short-season Single-A Tri-City and low-A Quad Cities in 2018. The Astros might assign him to High-A Fayetteville to begin next season with the idea he could move relatively quickly and finish the year in Double A or Triple A. They’ll continue to develop him as a starter, which they usually do until that possibility has been exhausted.

Though Abreu’s 40-man addition caught some by surprise, it’s a move with recent precedent for Houston. Four years ago on the Rule 5 protection date, the Astros selected to the roster another young Dominican right-hander who completed his previous season with Quad Cities: Michael Feliz. He began the next year in High A, quickly advanced to Double A and had a cup of coffee in the majors that season before winning a spot in the Astros’ bullpen in 2016.

The other minor leaguers Houston protected were more or less expected. Stubbs was a no-brainer, as a number of the other 29 teams could’ve easily stashed him as a backup catcher. For 2019, he represents depth behind Max Stassi, Chris Herrmann and whichever catcher the Astros acquire this offseason. In the future, he could amount to more.

Armenteros, who Luhnow said the Astros felt had “a huge selection risk,” should serve as upper-level depth on the pitching side next year. Like Stubbs, he is likely to start back in Triple A and find his way to the majors during the season. The Astros alleviated their roster crunch with Saturday’s trade of right-hander Trent Thornton to the Blue Jays for Aledmys Díaz, who will be their utility player if they’re outbid in their efforts to retain sought-after free agent Marwin González.

Tuesday’s transactions left the Astros with only two open spots on their 40-man roster. Right-hander Riley Ferrell, shortstop Jonathan Arauz and outfielder Drew Ferguson were the most notable minor leaguers they left exposed to selection in the Rule 5 Draft, which will be held Dec. 13 in Las Vegas at the end of baseball’s annual winter meetings.

Kaplan makes a real good point about Mike Elias looking to select guys from our farm system; wouldn't be surprised to see him along with Stearns (to a lesser degree) look to try and nab a few of guys rule 5 eligible. 

Yep.
It hadn’t occurred to me until reading that but completely agree.
And makes me wonder what other info Elias/Mejdel/Fast may have to try and get a leg up

Arauz could get taken because he is a versatile defender who won’t strike out.  That plays on the bench of a rebuilding team, given his long term upside.  

Riley Ferrell also has a good shot to be drafted.  When you consider that the 7th or 8th guy in a big league bullpen only throws 20-30 innings in a season, it’s really easy for a rebuilding team to hide a guy who has control problems but otherwise has big time stuff and closer upside.

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Arauz could get taken because he is a versatile defender who won’t strike out.  That plays on the bench of a rebuilding team, given his long term upside.  

Riley Ferrell also has a good shot to be drafted.  When you consider that the 7th or 8th guy in a big league bullpen only throws 20-30 innings in a season, it’s really easy for a rebuilding team to hide a guy who has control problems but otherwise has big time stuff and closer upside.

I think Ferrell is more likely.  Easier to stash someone as a low leverage bullpen arm where their stuff can play up.  Even if Arauz won't strike out that much, his steamer projection is still horrific (.236 wOBA).  He also doesn't appear to be much of a base stealer either.  

6 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I think Ferrell is more likely.  Easier to stash someone as a low leverage bullpen arm where their stuff can play up.  Even if Arauz won't strike out that much, his steamer projection is still horrific (.236 wOBA).  He also doesn't appear to be much of a base stealer either.  

I agree, but even with Arauz, the 12th or 13th position player usually only gets 200-250 PA (~50 games) in a season.  Having a hole in your lineup every 3rd game is acceptable for a rebuilding team who lacks high ceiling up-the-middle prospects.