2018 College Football Playoff Rankings

LTtxfan

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Bullshit. No one wants to travel to the West coast 4 times a season.

Really? Like you go to games in Manhattan, Stoolwater, and Ames on a frequent basis...

Give me LA, Tucson, Tempe, Palo Alto, Seattle, etc. and I’m making a road game or two a year

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

yep.  since we are stuck in ths BS conf hell, we need to add 2 teams(UCF and BYU sound good to me), go to divisions, rig the schedule, play 4 OOC(3 gimmies and one very good P5 game) and be done with this shit until realignment(not going away).  as long as we play OU and have one very good OOC game I'm good.

Funny thing, I'm seeing Middle Tennessee as the best SEC ooc win amongst the teams in question.

1 minute ago, Blanton said:

Really? Like you go to games in Manhattan, Stoolwater, and Ames on a frequent basis...

Give me LA, Tucson, Tempe, Palo Alto, Seattle, etc. and I’m making a road game or two a year

I'll take a hard pass at waiting til 9:30 CST to watch Texas play

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

I'll take a hard pass at waiting til 9:30 CST to watch Texas play

once aggy made their 100 year fuck up,  my hope was B1G with ND and play OU OOC every year.   the Nov away games would suck for the team.  the biggest problem might be recruiting in that situation.

19 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

Funny thing, I'm seeing Middle Tennessee as the best SEC ooc win amongst the teams in question.

I’d say the bigger question than the SEC having it’s best win be against a flailing Washington Huskies squad, is who the heck has Clemson played so far..?

I would argue that Washington State actually has better wins than that of Clemson at this point...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

yeah its probably #2 behind LSU beating Miami.

I should mention I only though a cursory glance at the resumes of SECez UG-UF-UK.  

Later I am confident that we'll all conclude that while the non-Bama SEC squad is good, they don't deserve top 10 rankings simply because they lose to each other. 

3 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

I believe more and more the "committee" is just a front for the mouse. 

Absolutely. Anyone besides delusional SEC fans know the deal. And even many of them know, they just don't give a shit because it benefits them. It's pathetic how they get to play by different rules. Especially Bama. Who doesn't even have to win their own division to get into the championship game or playoffs. 2011 and 2017 both times they should not have even been in it, much less win it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

I believe more and more the "committee" is just a front for the mouse. 

When the same company owns the four team playoff also owns media rights for a third tier conference network in the SECN this is what we are stuck with... Lets hope Amazon buys the rights to the CFP when the current contract expires as then wwwwe might see expansion and fairness for the BIG ACC PAC XIIin having more teams competing for the football championship too...

4 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I’d say the bigger question than the SEC having it’s best win be against a flailing Washington Huskies squad, is who the heck has Clemson played so far..?

I would argue that Washington State actually has better wins than that of Clemson at this point...

They didn't become top teams by making it hard on their own schedule.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notre dame joe said:

Agreed, as the ACC has to have at least one team to brag about when the superstar Florida State Seminoles are a dumpster fire... The best team in the conference after Clemson is Syracuse, thats crazy...

8 hours ago, Blanton said:

We fit in like a glove with the Pac-12, actually.

I am fully aware that the demographics have changed dramatically in Austin since my time there. But “actually” no, “we” do not fit like a glove. Not even one of those fancy opera to the elbow types.

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Bullshit. No one wants to travel to the West coast 4 times a season.

How would it be possible to travel out west four times in one season if the XII is the one adding members, as per the recent rumors of PAC XII talks..? As far as fit, the states of Oklahoma/Kansas/Iowa/Utah/Arizona all vote similar to Texas... Thats six conservative leaning states, vs four liberal leaning states Washington

9 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Lulz.....I'm not even sure what you are trying to say right here. Are you saying WSU should be ranked higher than Clemson? Almost every strength of schedule rating I can find has Clemson much higher than WSU, but more importantly, have you watched both teams play? Do you think Wazzu could stay within 14 points of Clemson? 

5 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Clemson plays two P5 teams out of conference every year, so they do try to make it hard on their own schedule. 

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

How would it be possible to travel out west four times in one season if the XII is the one adding members, as per the recent rumors of PAC XII talks..? As far as fit, the states of Oklahoma/Kansas/Iowa/Utah/Arizona all vote similar to Texas... Thats six conservative leaning states, vs four liberal leaning states Washington

Wait are we re-aligning states now? 

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Wait are we re-aligning states now? 

No, (not sure why this isn't posted on realignment thread, but anyway), I am glad you asked, as my phone was trippin' this morning...
I was having a debate on the dirtburglar board, as there is a heavy push by some wanting to split OU from UT to (re)join UT in the B1G...
One of the "talking points" was that Oklahoma & Texas don't fit with the region of the west coast, on the surface it sounds true, until you factor the merged footprint...
Of course the states of Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas/Iowa are more conservative in nature, fitting with current PAC members of both Utah & Arizona, that's 6 states...

On the other hand, the more liberal leaning voting states of Washington/Oregon/California/Colorado would balance out the conference footprint with 4 left leaning states...
So in a much about nothing calculation, the culture of the league would be fairly balanced, compared to the B1G, who has 8 liberal states/ 3 conservative states...

But if culture was a real issue, (we know it's not), it would be easiest for the XII members to look at joining the SEC, as about 10 out of the 11 states vote conservative...

All this is much about nothing I am sure, as there are rumors of discussions (informal) between particular members of the XII & PAC, that's all I gather, nothing else...

3 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Lulz.....I'm not even sure what you are trying to say right here. Are you saying WSU should be ranked higher than Clemson? Almost every strength of schedule rating I can find has Clemson much higher than WSU, but more importantly, have you watched both teams play? Do you think Wazzu could stay within 14 points of Clemson? 

Clemson plays two P5 teams out of conference every year, so they do try to make it hard on their own schedule. 

That is a bit of a stretch, but I can see the lack of clarity, (remember who typed this mess)... 
Looking at this half pragmatically I would say I am not impressed with what Clemson has faced in it league or out of conference play, it;s biggest win could be argued as A&M, and that school isn't a big win for anyone... I think it more a case of being unimpressed with the ACC, as Florida State has under performed, but Syracuse has played far better than expected... The PAC, meh, it's trash this year as far as the playoffs unless there are about 4 schools in front of the Pirate who lose, hope this clears up my goofy thought..!

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Fuck moving to the Pac 12. We'd be on the shitty side of the conference with Colorado and Utah and the Arizona schools. Pass.

This - I always thought we would align w/ the Big Ten - Right up the middle of country - Texas, Tech (I guess), Kansas, K State, Oklahoma, OK State, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Northwestern.. all the others. Fits academically, etc... 

• Like 1

To get the conversation away from shitty realignment talk...I posted this on the aggy thread last week, but seems relevant when discussing how shitty the playoff committee is...

Every single SEC team will play 1 FCS team by the end of the season. 7 of the 10 Big 12 teams will have played an FCS opponent. Every SEC team has scheduled 2 G5 this season as well. The Big 12 plays a total of 11 G5 teams. Oklahoma State (the only team with 2 G5 games) will be the only B12 team to play 9 P5 teams during the regular season, just like EVERY SEC team. All the rest of the Big 12 will play at least 10. Meaning only the two SEC CCG participants will have played as many P5 games before the bowls and playoffs as 9 of the 10 Big 12 teams. 

I imagine the comparisons to the schedules of other conferences won’t paint a much prettier picture of how the SEC is made up of teams that refuse to play as many difficult games as the rest of the country. The committee will hold up Baylor's shitty 3-game OOC in 2014 as a negative, but ignores the SEC for doing it for 3 of their 4-game OOC across the entire the fucking conference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasBeta said:

This - I always thought we would align w/ the Big Ten - Right up the middle of country - Texas, Tech (I guess), Kansas, K State, Oklahoma, OK State, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Northwestern.. all the others. Fits academically, etc... 

I would not be surprised that the XII looks at all options on keeping league together, but in an option of the B1G only 2 of the three of UT/OU/KU could go...
Not counting that Texas Tech & Oklahoma State would be left behind unless there was something of a 20 team B1G adding 6 XII schools, personally think the SEC is best, but again it only adds 2 schools at 16, both UT & OU..? The PAC, in my opinion would get absorbed by the XII as the current model has Iowa State out earning USC, so more of a merger...

To me the biggest issue is I would rather keep both Texas & Oklahoma in the same conference, XII/PAC/SEC/B1G, as far too many storied rivalries have ended due to realignment...

Back on track, I think Buffalo Wild Wings might want to check with the advertising department and correct this:

7 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

To get the conversation away from shitty realignment talk...I posted this on the aggy thread last week, but seems relevant when discussing how shitty the playoff committee is...

Every single SEC team will play 1 FCS team by the end of the season. 7 of the 10 Big 12 teams will have played an FCS opponent. Every SEC team has scheduled 2 G5 this season as well. The Big 12 plays a total of 11 G5 teams. Oklahoma State (the only team with 2 G5 games) will be the only B12 team to play 9 P5 teams during the regular season, just like EVERY SEC team. All the rest of the Big 12 will play at least 10. Meaning only the two SEC CCG participants will have played as many P5 games before the bowls and playoffs as 9 of the 10 Big 12 teams. 

I imagine the comparisons to the schedules of other conferences won’t paint a much prettier picture of how the SEC is made up of teams that refuse to play as many difficult games as the rest of the country. The committee will hold up Baylor's shitty 3-game OOC in 2014 as a negative, but ignores the SEC for doing it for 3 of their 4-game OOC across the entire the fucking conference.

It would be so much better if there was a transparent system of what metrics are used before the season even started, as it would end confusion...

No, (not sure why this isn't posted on realignment thread, but anyway), I am glad you asked, as my phone was trippin' this morning...
I was having a debate on the dirtburglar board, as there is a heavy push by some wanting to split OU from UT to (re)join UT in the B1G...
One of the "talking points" was that Oklahoma & Texas don't fit with the region of the west coast, on the surface it sounds true, until you factor the merged footprint...
Of course the states of Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas/Iowa are more conservative in nature, fitting with current PAC members of both Utah & Arizona, that's 6 states...
On the other hand, the more liberal leaning voting states of Washington/Oregon/California/Colorado would balance out the conference footprint with 4 left leaning states...
So in a much about nothing calculation, the culture of the league would be fairly balanced, compared to the B1G, who has 8 liberal states/ 3 conservative states...
But if culture was a real issue, (we know it's not), it would be easiest for the XII members to look at joining the SEC, as about 10 out of the 11 states vote conservative...
All this is much about nothing I am sure, as there are rumors of discussions (informal) between particular members of the XII & PAC, that's all I gather, nothing else...

e1e0c8542beea3cfba870bd0e4495223.jpg
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Absolutely. Anyone besides delusional SEC fans know the deal. And even many of them know, they just don't give a shit because it benefits them. It's pathetic how they get to play by different rules. Especially Bama. Who doesn't even have to win their own division to get into the championship game or playoffs. 2011 and 2017 both times they should not have even been in it, much less win it.

I swear I feel this way as well. And if you live in this part of the country. ESPN has used their “these are not the droids you are looking for” to remove what little common sense the majority of SEC fans once had.

In hindsight the mouse made a great move aligning themselves with the SEC fan base simply because like aggy most are happy being miles behind Bama, just as long as they’re ahead of them phaggot California and yankee schools. They took a page straight out of the southern political gameplan and used it on college football. And it worked. 

• Like 1