2018 College Football Playoff Rankings

LTtxfan

17 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I used to love March, but now I can’t stand that each team is a new group of 5 freshmen every year. It’s like a watching a random number generator. 

16 hours ago, slorch said:

I wish basketball at least had the 3 year rule.

I grew up watching Ralph Sampson, Akeem, and Patrick Ewing duke it out for years in college before they headed to the pros.  It's definitely harder to buy into a particular team now, aside from your own, if that makes sense.

I don't think football can ever go down that road.

I hate what CBB has morphed into. I don't think you'll see one-and-done's in football like hoops simply because except in an extraordinary circumstance they're not ready for the NFL after one year of college football.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Interesting that 2 conferences have made the playoffs every year, and those same conference only play 8 conference games.

2014 - SEC, Pac 12, ACC, B1G

2015 - ACC, SEC, B1G, Big 12

2016 - SEC, ACC, B1G, Pac 12

2017 - ACC, Big 12, SEC, SEC

2018 - SEC, ACC, INDY, Big 12

Yeah but that is because both leagues are dominated by juggernauts who rarely ever lose to anybody. I don't think nine conference games would be keeping Bama or Clemson out.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah but that is because both leagues are dominated by juggernauts who rarely ever lose to anybody. I don't think nine conference games would be keeping Bama or Clemson out.

Likely not, but it would equalize those conferences and the # of losses with the rest of P5 conferences. All of sudden Washington State is playing UCF in the Fiesta Bowl instead of LSU, if LSU had to play another SEC team and lost over playing whatever FCS team they played in November.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

ACC was flat out atrocious this season. Especially the coastal division. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UTEX_ME said:

ACC was flat out atrocious this season. Especially the coastal division. 

As Htown points out, though, that's 7 more guaranteed losses tacked on to ACC/SEC schools and slides them just a little further down in the rankings.

22 hours ago, slorch said:

I'd solve this shit real easily, although the SEC would hate it:

1. Play 9 Conference games and a CCG.  If you only play 8, it's a loss in the place of the 9th game, so your shitass conference can decide to shit or get off the pot.  Fuck you Notre Dame.  You start off the season 0-9 until you get with the program.

2. You have 13 weeks to play 12 games.  No more byes before your big games and bullshit the SEC does.  Play the gotdam schedule.

3. 3 non-con games must have a minimum of 2 P5 opponents, scheduled home and home. What you do with the 3rd is up to you.

I like most of this, but 2 P5 non con games would be a bit much. I would say 1 P5, but no FCS schools. 

I could live with that trade off. 

Still home and homes though. You want to schedule Troy and Arkansas State? You play em on the road too. 

Edited by slorch

25 minutes ago, C-Man said:

As Htown points out, though, that's 7 more guaranteed losses tacked on to ACC/SEC schools and slides them just a little further down in the rankings.

Exactly. Georgia touting their “non inferior” opponents (fuck off Herbie) of “ranked” Kentucky, Missouri and Florida as some kind of schedule to be proud of.  

If Georgia doesn’t get to duck Alabama two years in a row during the regular season we don’t have this argument. 

Alabama was allowed to clinch a playoff spot before playing the first real team on its schedule. Unless you want to count LSU who gave up 70 to Aggy and is against the forward pass and English language. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

SEC won 50 OOC games. 16 of the 50 were FCS.  9 of the 50 were P5:

2-10 Louisville x 2
10-3 Washington
5-7 Florida State
7-5 Georgia Tech
7-5 Miami
5-7 Kansas State
6-6 Purdue
5-7 Texas Tech

So 3 P5s with winning records, 2 of which were 7-5 in the worst P5 division probably in CFB history. The other 25 FBS wins:

Arkansas State, Louisiana (x2), Tulsa, Southern Miss, Liberty, Colorado State, Middle Tennessee (x3), UMass, Central Michigan, La Tech (x2), Rice, Wyoming, Memphis, Kent State, La-Monroe (x2), Akron, UTEP, Charlotte, UAB, Nevada.

That is WRETCHED. I'm not as big a SEC hater as many on this board, but come on. That is scouring the absolute depths of college football for opponents.

• Like 3

James Franklins reiterates what he said early in the year...

TLDR:  SEC getting teams in because their scheduling is setup to make it easier to go undefeated. Either they need to be made to change theirs or other conferences need to look to water theirs down.

https://www.mcall.com/sports/college/psu/mc-spt-penn-state-football-james-franklin-playoff-20181202-20181203-ax63sxz34nc6fkwelw7n5m2xji-story.html
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24175507/penn-state-james-franklin-wants-scheduling-standards

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

James Franklins reiterates what he said early in the year...

TLDR:  SEC getting teams in because their scheduling is setup to make it easier to go undefeated. Either they need to be made to change theirs or other conferences need to look to water theirs down.

https://www.mcall.com/sports/college/psu/mc-spt-penn-state-football-james-franklin-playoff-20181202-20181203-ax63sxz34nc6fkwelw7n5m2xji-story.html
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24175507/penn-state-james-franklin-wants-scheduling-standards

For various reasons, the B12, B1G, and PAC, have elected to put themselves at a disadvantage by playing 9 conference games instead of 8.

If their goal were to maximize their conference's chances of placing one (or more) teams into the CFP, then they certainly have the option of dropping to 8 conference games, adding in more FCS teams, playing more of their marquee games at "neutral sites" instead of ever traveling to a hostile away environment, etc.  Those are all tricks the SEC and ACC have used to game the system, but there's no rule stopping the other 3 conference from doing the same.  They've made this choice on their own.

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

For various reasons, the B12, B1G, and PAC, have elected to put themselves at a disadvantage by playing 9 conference games instead of 8.

If their goal were to maximize their conference's chances of placing one (or more) teams into the CFP, then they certainly have the option of dropping to 8 conference games, adding in more FCS teams, playing more of their marquee games at "neutral sites" instead of ever traveling to a hostile away environment, etc.  Those are all tricks the SEC and ACC have used to game the system, but there's no rule stopping the other 3 conference from doing the same.  They've made this choice on their own.

The reason is money. When negotiating terms for the ACC Network, espn said move to 9 conference games or take less money, and the ACC ADs elected to take less money. 

Just now, Doc Sam Beckett said:

The reason is money. When negotiating terms for the ACC Network, espn said move to 9 conference games or take less money, and the ACC ADs elected to take less money. 

Yup, fundamentally it's money.  Similar to the ACC, the B12 was told by its Tier1/2 media partners that it needed to go to 9 conference games to provide better inventory for those media partners.  The B12 could have refused, but would have then been forced to accept less money.  The B1G wanted to maximize the reach and appeal of its BTN, and so also opted to create a better catalog of in-conference games by insisting on 9 conference games per team.

I'd guess that the SEC media partners would also pay them even more money if they went to 9, but the SEC doesn't really need it, and clearly understands the competitive advantage of having only 8 conference games.

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yup, fundamentally it's money.  Similar to the ACC, the B12 was told by its Tier1/2 media partners that it needed to go to 9 conference games to provide better inventory for those media partners.  The B12 could have refused, but would have then been forced to accept less money.  The B1G wanted to maximize the reach and appeal of its BTN, and so also opted to create a better catalog of in-conference games by insisting on 9 conference games per team.

I'd guess that the SEC media partners would also pay them even more money if they went to 9, but the SEC doesn't really need it, and clearly understands the competitive advantage of having only 8 conference games.

Well, that and eight games for a 10-member league would be an even dumber decision than having a CCG following a season when everybody plays a full round robin.

• Like 1

(( Realignment talk not going away ))

We plugin the way back machine of yesteryear and the top 80 teams form eight 10 team conferences.

Currently 64 teams in P5 conferences. Maybe they are all top80, maybe they are not. But the additional 16 teams allows for enough wiggle room that they probably would.

8 Champions. 8 team playoff beginning on current ccg weekend. Semis continue on NYs weekend. Final one week later.

Teams 81 -128 are the ooc teams and get to play their own post season tourney.

36 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

was in a hurry and left a few things out...

ooc isn't exclusively from pool of teams 81-128

full 9 game round robin for conf schedules

ooc sos is possible conf champ tie-breaker

aggy likely gets booted out of whatever a reconstituted 10-team SEC looks like too which would be amusing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notre dame joe said:

It's a freebie way to fill air time.  You could replace most talking heads most of the time with AI

They spun on a dime once the announcement came out. They dropped the Georgia shtick and replaced it with Tua and Murray Heisman talk. All planned and orchestrated. None of them really believe any of the shit their saying. But it pays well.

I would like to add. After listening to Chris Fowler as well as his expressions while others were saying some of that dumb shit. I believe I now know why he handed Gameday over to Reece. He just simply got to old, to tired that he could no longer do their theater. His analysis was quick to the point and didn’t seem to mind taking a shot at Georgia with “they just played their playoff game, they lost, they’re out” It actually took me by surprise.

• Like 3

I hate ou just as much as the next, but seriously?! This was completely uncalled for. All because the buckeyes were left out of the CFP. Stay classy ohio state..... 
47437183_309624329655192_4539110966729637888_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=2a1f1978a4234e34d2a7fb46ff41076e&oe=5C647AC8

She also posted something like “what’s up with these Kardashians and black guys are white guys not good enough for them.” Every fanbase has shit nuggets.

SIAP, but here are some Vegas odds on potential matchups.... 
Oklahoma vs Notre Dame -3 OU 76.5 
Oklahoma vs Clemson -7.5 OU 80.5 
Alabama vs Notre Dame +12 OU 55.5 
Alabama vs Clemson +7.5 OU 60.5

Where did these come from? They seem way off compared to some others I have seen, specifically the ND ones. ND is +11.5 to Clemson, can’t imagine they are only getting 12 vs Bama and can’t see them favored over OU either.

12 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Where did these come from? They seem way off compared to some others I have seen, specifically the ND ones. ND is +11.5 to Clemson, can’t imagine they are only getting 12 vs Bama and can’t see them favored over OU either.

Yeah I was hesitant to post them, cause I got them from a meh Clemson site that didn't provide a link, but I ended up finding where they got the numbers from... 

What are some that you've seen, cause I agree with your line of thinking. Just quickly off the top of my head, I think it would look more like this... 

Bama -17 vs ND

Bama - 7.5 vs Clemson 

Clemson - 6.5 vs Oklahoma 

Oklahoma -3.5 vs ND

I think that's how they would open, and I think Bama/Clemson would creep up to -9, and Oklahoma/ND would creep up to -7....

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So which of the 3 Remaining CFP Teams has the best chance to beat Saban/Bama and why??

BlowU??    Clemson??    Notre Dame??

My answer.....

Hate to say it, but not sure Bama can outscore BlowU if gooners jump out to a quick lead....

So my pick of the 3 is BlowU.

Imo.....Clemson and Notre Dame just don't have enough offensive firepower to beat Bama....

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

My answer.....

Hate to say it, but not sure Bama can outscore BlowU if gooners jump out to a quick lead....

So my pick of the 3 is BlowU.

Imo.....Clemson and Notre Dame just don't have enough offensive firepower to beat Bama....

Clemson is top 5 in pretty much every meaningful offensive category. 

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Clemson is top 5 in pretty much every meaningful offensive category. 

Clemson Tigers Schedule - 2018
DATE OPPONENT RESULT        

Sat, 9/8
@TA&MTA&M
W28-26        
Sat, 9/15
vsGASOGASO
W38-7        

Sat, 9/29
vsSYRSYR
W27-23        

Sat, 11/10
@BC17 BC
W27-7        
Sat, 11/17
vsDUKEDUKE
W35-6        

19 hours ago, LTtxfan said:
Clemson Tigers Schedule - 2018
DATE OPPONENT RESULT        

Sat, 9/8
@TA&MTA&M
W28-26        
Sat, 9/15
vsGASOGASO
W38-7        

Sat, 9/29
vsSYRSYR
W27-23        

Sat, 11/10
@BC17 BC
W27-7        
Sat, 11/17
vsDUKEDUKE
W35-6        

You think Clemson has a top 5 offense because of their schedule? Pretty sure their offense would be ranked in the top 5 with Oklahoma's mighty schedule as well. 

6 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

You think Clemson has a top 5 offense because of their schedule? Pretty sure their offense would be ranked in the top 5 with Oklahoma's mighty schedule as well. 

Similar strength of schedule rankings for Clemson & BlowU

ubscribe

NCAA College Football Strength of Schedule Rankings & Ratings

Home Advantage: +3.5

Season:                                                                      2018-2019                                                         
Rank Team Rating Hi Low Last
1 Georgia (11-2) 12.7 1 72 3
2 Alabama (13-0) 12.3 1 37 5
3 LSU (9-3) 10.7 1 28 1
4 Texas A&M (8-4) 10.2 1 114 2
5 Miss State (8-4) 9.9 3 80 4
6 Michigan (10-2) 9.4 3 18 7
7 Missouri (8-4) 9.4 3 108 6
8 Auburn (7-5) 9.1 4 26 8
9 S Carolina (7-5) 7.6 4 92 9
10 Ohio State (12-1) 7.5 1 66 10
11 Florida (9-3) 7.5 6 91 11
12 Penn State (9-3) 7.4 2 40 13
13 Clemson (13-0) 7.1 2 69 18
14 Oklahoma (12-1) 7.1 8 70 15
15 Michigan St (7-5) 7.1 5 69 17
16 Kentucky (9-3) 7.0 8 81 14
17 Texas (9-4) 6.8 14 47 20
18 Pittsburgh (7-6) 6.8 18 116 25
19 W Virginia (8-3) 6.4 14 94 16
20 UCLA (3-9) 6.2 4 65 19
21 Washington (10-3) 6.0 2 36 28
22 Purdue (6-6) 6.0 16 56 21
23 Northwestern (8-5) 5.9 10 36 29
24 Stanford (8-4) 5.5 15 67 24
25 Notre Dame (12-0) 5.5 9 34 27
Edited by LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...

Another joke..... ESPN power index rankings:  Texas #19

SEC Bias..... A&M is #13, Mizzu #14

-------------------------------------------------------

Jan 6, 2019   ESPN releases final Football Power Index pre-title game

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Alabama-Clemson-Georgia-Ohio-State-Texas-national-championship-football-power-index-Top-25-final-127401695/#127401695_6

Edited by LTtxfan

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Another joke..... ESPN power index rankings:  Texas #19

SEC Bias..... A&M is #13, Mizzu #14

-------------------------------------------------------

Jan 6, 2019   ESPN releases final Football Power Index pre-title game

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Alabama-Clemson-Georgia-Ohio-State-Texas-national-championship-football-power-index-Top-25-final-127401695/#127401695_6

It's FPI, a predictive formula like S&P+. None of the computer prediction systems like Texas all that much.

Stat based systems are going to reward teams for blowout wins over close wins even though the W-L record is the same.  They rely on the assumption that teams which struggle against weaker opponents will usually lose to stronger ones.  That's usually a reasonable assumption but as we've seen, that is far from the case with Tom Herman teams.

30 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Stat based systems are going to reward teams for blowout wins over close wins even though the W-L record is the same.  They rely on the assumption that teams which struggle against weaker opponents will usually lose to stronger ones.  That's usually a reasonable assumption but as we've seen, that is far from the case with Tom Herman teams.

They also assume that teams that play a lot of close games with mediocre teams end up losing a few of them.  That has been the case with Tom Herman teams.