2018 College Football Playoff Rankings

LTtxfan

24 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The thing about playoff expansion is you’re increasing the number of games these kids play per season and that number has been quietly growing over the last 30 years.  

But who gives a fuck about player safety and concussions right? 

I hate this argument.

We play 16 games in UIL in Texas to the championship.  The NFL plays 19( or 20 if WC team.)  College has more byes and more bitchass scheduling than you can ever have in the other two scenarios. they have more depth than the NFL and most high school teams.

16 games is hardly a fucking Bataan Death March for people who want to play the games.

Edited by slorch

Herbie definitely got his feelings hurt earlier with the selections. Wasn't as good as last years walk off the stage moment when OSU didn't get in, followed by the excuse that he was shocked that the committee did the right thing. 

Edited by texaslong
  • Haha 1

Just now, slorch said:

I hate this argument.

We play 16 games in UIL in Texas to the championship.  The NFL plays 19( or 20 if WC team.)  College has more byes and more bitchass scheduling than you can ever have in the other two scenarios.

16 games is hardly a fucking Bataan Death March for people who want to play the games.

Agreed. If there is a solution to that concern,  could increase the number of scholarships to account for attrition throughout the season but approaching 16 games,  the sky is not falling.

56 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

As long as we embrace the Bowl system the answer to your question is never. Those in charge still talk of the failed experience of being forced to take UConn in years ago against OU. The numbers were so bad for that game that they all agreeed without ever having a meeting, or writing anything down. That they would never allow that to happen again. One could actually argue that it was that scenario that led us to realignment. The Big East was on life support, but still owned a precious Bowl tie in. The only way to rid the Bowls of that obligation was to somehow get rid of the Big East and their automatic bid. Research that mess and you will agree that it is the Bowls, not the universities or TV that currently call the shots on who plays and who does not.

In the IT industry, only 1 or 2 people can sign your deal, but you face a dozen people who can't say yes but can say no.  As we saw with the zebras yesterday, it's not an open conspiracy.  Fletcher Prouty described it best ... "it was in the wind".

The current list of impediments in order of cockblocking:

1. Notre Dame

2. The Rose Bowl

3. The PAC and the B1G (because of the Rose Bowl)

4. SEC (because of their scheduling)

5. Disney

Thus, there are only 23 teams in the P5 not somehow part of this mess: the 14 ACC and the 9 rig12 (not including us as we get $20m disney/LHN per year to shut up and bend over).  More than 2/3rds of the P5 have a direct or indirect interest in the rigged system, before accounting for the outside (bowl/broadcast) stakeholders.

8 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Bama will beat OU badly. Their OLine is elite and they will run the ball and control clock. They’ll get atleast 3 or 4 stops and OU will get lucky to get two. I honestly don’t see either of these games being that close

Have you watched an ounce of football all year long

53 minutes ago, slorch said:

As they should.  They are exhibition games with no real meaning.  See also: pro prospects not interested in playing.

I know this is so freaking extreme( rolleyes), but there should be a 16 team playoff for games people would watch like a motherfucker, incorporating the bigger bowls.  Continue to play the other lesser bowls for more practice and trinket bags.

I agree. Thought for years the conference championships should be a play in (first round.) Where I differ from others is that I think the rest should be from the G5 and independents. 

The networks are, long-term, turning college football into a regional sport, and killing the chances of teams like UCF, South Florida, SMU and others by keeping their thumbs on the scale for the SEC and a handful of around eight blue bloods. 

• Like 1

Just now, A’Dam Psycho said:

Have you? You think OUs goofy offense is gonna work against actual NFL talent on Bamas defense.

Dude, they fucked Bama up with Trevor Knight at QB. I know that is completely irrelevant to the outcome of this game, but it is relevant to this myth that SEC defenses make Mike Ditka and the '85 Bears jerk off at the site of them.

The game will probably be 48-42/49-45 type game.

They took Georgia's defense by the nuts last year and made them their bitch. I'm not saying they are going to win because Alabama will score at will on their defense like Georgia did last year. Just find it amusing that people think Alabama is going to cover the spread

47 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

idk about player safety but imo if we go to an 8 team format the kids who play the extra games(which will bring in some pretty serious $) deserve to be compensated for it. Even if its only something like $10k per player for the extra games past the first round. A team that plays in the title game would have likely played 16 games compared to the 12-13 they were playing not so long ago.

CFP teams do get a stipend for family travel to the games

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Yes. Put the burden of how to choose that champion/representative on the conference. The SEC can continue their farce of an 8 game schedule or they can add more conference games to better determine their champion. Don’t care, it’s up to them. (That whole 14 teams becomes a major problem so they will fight this until the end)

With 120 teams and zero like schedules between conferences it’s the only way. If the SEC were so difficult it wouldn’t have 1 or two undefeated teams every single year. Every one forgets they were 3-5 in bowls last year not counting playoffs and 5-6 with two Bama wins. 

Confernce champions are the only real measurements in college football and need to be the number one priority when selecting the playoff teams

The b1g has 14 and they have no problem with 9 conference games.  14 teams is not an excuse.  And while we're at it, the ACC also only plays 8 with 14.  And they also play D-2.  So that leaves only 9 teams in the rig12 without an interest in the status quo.

12 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Have you? You think OUs goofy offense is gonna work against actual NFL talent on Bamas defense.

because there's no OU players from offense in the NFL, right?  Plenty of OL, a few WRs oh...and last year's #1 pick.

It beats the fuck out of watching Bama and Georgia playing again.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

They’re going to be called constantly for holding, offensive PI for pick routes and downfield blocking, ineligible man downfield, and Bama is going to mug their WRs without getting many defensive holding calls.  It’s going to be a rude fucking awakening.

So basically how that game was called against Texas in the Big 12 CG.

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I wish our fans would be less Aggy blaming the loss on the refs. If you want to blame someone, blame our terrible clock management  at the end off the first half. Constantly blaming losses on the refs is so Aggy and so tiresome. 

To be fair it was a horrendous OPI call that caused Texas to give the ball back to OU at the end of the half.

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

The b1g has 14 and they have no problem with 9 conference games.  14 teams is not an excuse.  And while we're at it, the ACC also only plays 8 with 14.  And they also play D-2.  So that leaves only 9 teams in the rig12 without an interest in the status quo.

I'd solve this shit real easily, although the SEC would hate it:

1. Play 9 Conference games and a CCG.  If you only play 8, it's a loss in the place of the 9th game, so your shitass conference can decide to shit or get off the pot.  Fuck you Notre Dame.  You start off the season 0-9 until you get with the program.

2. You have 13 weeks to play 12 games.  No more byes before your big games and bullshit the SEC does.  Play the gotdam schedule.

3. 3 non-con games must have a minimum of 2 P5 opponents, scheduled home and home. What you do with the 3rd is up to you.

17 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I’m not worried about moving the ball and scoring. We have the offense that counters SEC style defense pretty well. 

Getting a few stops will be the challenge. 

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:

Under the P5 champs, G5 champ, two at large scenario, it would have been as follows:

1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. ND
4. OU
5. Georgia
6. OSU
7. UCF
8. Washington

Nobody with 1 loss is left out. All undefeated teams are in. Georgia is in. All P5 conference champs are in. It takes care of almost every gripe that people have about the current setup. The only ranked 2 loss teams that are left out are either teams that lost head to head with a team in the playoff and a 2 loss G5 champ, who is trumped by the undefeated G5 champ. It's so reasonable and fair that it is a travesty that it isn't happening and I  hope UCF wins their bowl game and files an anti-trust suit immediately after.

Give me this, but instead of the Conference championship games, give me those games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:

Under the P5 champs, G5 champ, two at large scenario, it would have been as follows:

1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. ND
4. OU
5. Georgia
6. OSU
7. UCF
8. Washington

Nobody with 1 loss is left out. All undefeated teams are in. Georgia is in. All P5 conference champs are in. It takes care of almost every gripe that people have about the current setup. The only ranked 2 loss teams that are left out are either teams that lost head to head with a team in the playoff and a 2 loss G5 champ, who is trumped by the undefeated G5 champ. It's so reasonable and fair that it is a travesty that it isn't happening and I  hope UCF wins their bowl game and files an anti-trust suit immediately after.

Round 1 would be worth watching.

Alabama vs Washington

Clemson vs UCF

ND vs OSU

OU vs Georgia

21 minutes ago, slorch said:

I'd solve this shit real easily, although the SEC would hate it:

1. Play 9 Conference games and a CCG.  If you only play 8, it's a loss in the place of the 9th game, so your shitass conference can decide to shit or get off the pot.  Fuck you Notre Dame.  You start off the season 0-9 until you get with the program.

2. You have 13 weeks to play 12 games.  No more byes before your big games and bullshit the SEC does.  Play the gotdam schedule.

3. 3 non-con games must have a minimum of 2 P5 opponents, scheduled home and home. What you do with the 3rd is up to you.

9 conference games sucks dicks the Big 12 (and PAC 12 and Big 10) would all be wise to get away from it as fast as possible

many PAC 12 coaches have already realized this, but their shitty network no one gives a fuck about, their idiot commissioner and their athletics and university administrations that do not give a shit are not willing to change

the Big 10 in fact has already talked about 9 conference games sucking and I would imagine they will talk about it even more now

everyone wants the regular season to mean something and and for "the committee" to not be so powerful and the way to do that is play more OOC games and settle shit on the field during the regular season

of course that leads idiots to cry about how Baylor will schedule and the answer to that is either solve that with conference scheduling rules and or let Baylor rot on the vine if their shitty schedule does not get them in the playoffs after going undefeated or having one loss and winning the conference and along with that simply beat Baylor in your conference games and that ends that

part of the whole reason everyone can't compare conferences as easily is because conferences are bust jacking each other off and if people complain about the SEC SEC SEC playing shitty schedules either schedule them and call them out as pussies when they decline or win your games and let them rot at playoff time

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I think if we go to an 8 team playoff we are going to need full buy in from every conference because of the effect on bowl games. It will almost certainly include the 5 conference champs in any configuration. 

One way to avoid some of the 'problems' (excuses) given for not going to 8 would be to move the conf champ games up a week.  All conference games would be played in the first 11 games, with everyone's final game being OOC (or a playoff.)   The 4 first round playoff games would be in the final week,  so the bowls would all be defined by the same Sunday as now. 

For example, Thanksgiving weekend be exclusively conf champ games (and maybe an equivalent for independents.)  Then the final weekend (yesterday) would be the first round of the playoffs plus all the 12th regular season games (all OOC.)  That would only disrupt the scheduling of a max of the 8 teams that made the playoffs and their 8 opponents.  The playoff teams won't complain, and their opponents would be rescheduled to play each other (because all those final games would still be important for bowl slots.)  For those teams that were scheduled to host a game against a team that ended up making the playoffs, they would still be hosting a game at home that final weekend, so this setup would really only be a significant disruption for those opponents that had a scheduled road game (probably just 3 to 5 schools on average.)

Or if the presidents and networks prefer most of the games take place on the extended Thanksgiving weekend with its Friday slots, the OOC 12th games could be scheduled for then along with the conf champ games.   Everyone would have already had a final OOC game scheduled that weekend, but those who qualify for the conf champ games would have that game canceled, and their scheduled OOC opponents reassigned into games against each other (so disruptive to 10 P5 teams and up to 10 G5, but they'd still get their 12th game that determines bowl position, and likely against a weaker opponent, which could help their chances for a better bowl or playoff wildcard.)

The final weekend would then be the first round of the playoffs, plus conf champ game losers would play each other for their 12th regular season game (there's also the G5 champ game losers, so the math should work.)

That would get us to an 8-team playoff without an extra round of games, without adding an extra game for the final 4 playoff teams (the bogus 'What about the players' health' excuse, the max would be 14 except for two that play 15, just like now) and without extending the cfb season into the Spring semester.

Edited by clapclapclap

4 hours ago, slorch said:

As they should.  They are exhibition games with no real meaning.  See also: pro prospects not interested in playing.

I know this is so freaking extreme( rolleyes), but there should be a 16 team playoff for games people would watch like a motherfucker, incorporating the bigger bowls.  Continue to play the other lesser bowls for more practice and trinket bags.

I literally feel exactly the opposite.  The playoff is turning CFB into CBB, which sucks like an aggy on a sheep farm.  I can’t wait for the one-and-done players and the discussion about RPI. 

Edited by Liquor and Poker
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I literally feel exactly the opposite.  The playoff is turning CFB into CBB, which sucks like an aggy on a sheep farm.  I can’t wait for the one-and-done players and the discussion about RPI. 

I enjoy March Madness more than any other sporting event in this country.

Not so much the players sitting out, though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

They are not going to change the 3 year rule for the NFL Draft.

Not having a playoff is idiotic.  letting motherfuckers in Bristol or some other fucking conference room decide a beauty contest is complete bullshit.  Have some hard and fast qualifiers, such a Conference Champions for starters; and add in a few exceptions for the outliers.

Playing like the SEC +2 is remotely close to legit is just telling someone it's raining as the piss runs down their leg.

Before the BCS, having people vote for the champion wast even more idiotic.

Decide it on the field.  TRUE POs provide for that.

39 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I enjoy March Madness more than any other sporting event in this country.

Not so much the players sitting out, though.

I used to love March, but now I can’t stand that each team is a new group of 5 freshmen every year. It’s like a watching a random number generator. 

48 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I used to love March, but now I can’t stand that each team is a new group of 5 freshmen every year. It’s like a watching a random number generator. 

I wish basketball at least had the 3 year rule.

I grew up watching Ralph Sampson, Akeem, and Patrick Ewing duke it out for years in college before they headed to the pros.  It's definitely harder to buy into a particular team now, aside from your own, if that makes sense.

I don't think football can ever go down that road.

19 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Bama will beat OU badly. Their OLine is elite and they will run the ball and control clock. They’ll get atleast 3 or 4 stops and OU will get lucky to get two. I honestly don’t see either of these games being that close

Cool.  Put whatever money you have on both favorites.  Vegas was built on this type of thinking.  ‘Easy money!!!!’   

48 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Espn tells us the committee got the uga/ou debate right. Does espn know they and uga fans were the only ones debating that?

ESPN had a cute graphic with who their experts thought should be in the playoffs the night before the announcements.  About 11 picked Georgia.  Every single one who picked Georgia was an SEC grad except for one fuckstick.  The only nonSEC grad was Herbie.  Worldwide leader in bias right there.