2018 College Football Playoff Rankings

LTtxfan

9 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Like it was in 2013?  Why do people keep forgetting, or just want to be in denial that OU still has scoreboard on Saban and Alabama?

Does Texas get to claim "scoreboard" over 2013 Bama, too? Since we smacked the Land Thieves that season?

41 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

not really the Clemson fans will show up and they will have to stay over night (3 nights plus) and ND brings out massive casual fans

OU fans would have had the option to make a day trip for the game and head back home in their RV/House (after they looted the Cstores for food or is that UH fans at the Cotton Bowl 🤣 )

not to mention this would have been the 4th trip for OU fans to FWd this season.....Cotton Bowl, TCU in Fort Worth and the CCG yesterday so their fans would have had a lot of "day trippers" or people that drive down and stayed on the far edge of town and drove in for the game and headed home (or back to the far fringes for one more night)

Are you not aware that the employed part of OU’s fan base lives the hinterlands surrounding Dallas?  They won’t need to travel at all. 

Edited by Liquor and Poker

1 hour ago, SDG said:

I think they may; Bama hasn't played an offense near what OU has. 

Fuck OU.  They haven't played a defense like Bamas, closest is ours and we beat them once, did enough to beat them a second time too.  

Murray doesn't do well under pressure and that's the biggest difference I see Bama making.  That and the rampant obvious holding won't go unchecked for a full 4 quarters with a non B12 crew.  Soon as they get called for a few the dynamic will shift and ewok will get pressured.  That's where he makes his mistakes.  

Couple that with their shitty defense and Bama cruises, something similar to the first 3.5 Qs of the cotton bowl. 

As much as I hate OU, I was thinking it would be absolutely criminal for Ohio State to leapfrog OU for winning against a lesser ranked opponent than OU's.

OU was the better team, I thought it before the game and I think it now.  I also absolutely think that the non-call on Pass interence that had the announcers saying " i really don't know what's pass interference anymore" was an honest observation after the ticky tack calls all day long. We improved tremendously this year, but we aren't good enough to overcome missed field goals, and starting lots of drives 1st and 15 due to our own inability to know the snap count.

I'll be honest the 4 team playoff is nearly as bad as the 2 team playoff simply as there are usually about 6 legitimate teams that are playing well enough at the end of the season to have a realistic chance of winning the whole thing. Which I would argue is the case for both Georgia and Ohio State this year. then toss in the next two for fodder for the system and fairness to teams that win all their games and never get the chance to test themselves against the perceived best in the NCAA.

The good news is since I hate OU, hate Notre Dame (for undeserved polling favoritism) and hate Alabama in general, I guess I'm all in on Clemson!

Final College Football Playoff Top 25:

1. Bama 2. Clem 3. ND 4. OU 5. UGA 6. Ohio St 7. UM 8. UCF 9. Wash 10. UF 11. LSU 12. PSU 13. Wazzu 14. UK 15. Texas 16. WVU 17. Utah 18. Miss St 19. TAMU 20. Syracuse 21. Fresno St 22. Northwestern 23. Mizzou 24. Iowa St 25. Boise St

1 minute ago, Treefidy said:

I wonder how many years UCF can go undefeated and beat a top 3 SEC team before the needle moves?  2 more, 3 more?  

As long as we embrace the Bowl system the answer to your question is never. Those in charge still talk of the failed experience of being forced to take UConn in years ago against OU. The numbers were so bad for that game that they all agreeed without ever having a meeting, or writing anything down. That they would never allow that to happen again. One could actually argue that it was that scenario that led us to realignment. The Big East was on life support, but still owned a precious Bowl tie in. The only way to rid the Bowls of that obligation was to somehow get rid of the Big East and their automatic bid. Research that mess and you will agree that it is the Bowls, not the universities or TV that currently call the shots on who plays and who does not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Tower said:

Final College Football Playoff Top 25:

1. Bama 2. Clem 3. ND 4. OU 5. UGA 6. Ohio St 7. UM 8. UCF 9. Wash 10. UF 11. LSU 12. PSU 13. Wazzu 14. UK 15. Texas 16. WVU 17. Utah 18. Miss St 19. TAMU 20. Syracuse 21. Fresno St 22. Northwestern 23. Mizzou 24. Iowa St 25. Boise St

Michigan at 7?

Florida at 10?

LSU at 11

aggy at, fuck they shouldn’t be ranked?

I would take even money against any of those tomato cans.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

They’re going to be called constantly for holding, offensive PI for pick routes and downfield blocking, ineligible man downfield, and Bama is going to mug their WRs without getting many defensive holding calls.  It’s going to be a rude fucking awakening.

Lol.  Oh yes. I remember when they got trucked by Bama last time.  Nooooo way OU can hang.  😂

10 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Can’t believe Herbie just said that it’s a shame no one cares about teams that made bowls now that there’s a playoff.

Literally what I said from the beginning.  The bowls are becoming the NIT. 

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

So an 8-game playoff:

1. Bama
  2. Clemson
  3. Notre Dame
  4. Oklahoma
  5. Georgia
  6. Ohio State
  7. Michigan
  8. UCF

If the PAC wasn't such a fucking dumpster fire and if it showed signs of not being a dumpster fire going forward, they could have had a team in there (maybe in place of Michigan?), and this year would have made a nice 8-team playoff.

Even with those 8 teams above, advertisers would have been extremely happen, because they would have hit all the major media markets except for the West Coast, and they would have thoroughly covered the best CFB markets.

Here's hoping this will add some fuel to the 8-team playoff fire.

30 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Can’t believe Herbie just said that it’s a shame no one cares about teams that made bowls now that there’s a playoff.

As they should.  They are exhibition games with no real meaning.  See also: pro prospects not interested in playing.

I know this is so freaking extreme( rolleyes), but there should be a 16 team playoff for games people would watch like a motherfucker, incorporating the bigger bowls.  Continue to play the other lesser bowls for more practice and trinket bags.

Edited by slorch

I think if we go to an 8 team playoff we are going to need full buy in from every conference because of the effect on bowl games. It will almost certainly include the 5 conference champs in any configuration. 

Edited by Newy25

^

tell that to the UIL.  What do we have, like 5 more weeks of high school playoffs still to go?  The average Texas high school football player will play more games than the average NCAA-Div. II football player.  That shit ain't right.   

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The thing about playoff expansion is you’re increasing the number of games these kids play per season and that number has been quietly growing over the last 30 years.  

But who gives a fuck about player safety and concussions right? 

You are adding one game for two teams if they make it to the championship game. 

The eight teams that play in the playoffs would certainly be playing a bowl game. So net games added would be very minimal. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The thing about playoff expansion is you’re increasing the number of games these kids play per season and that number has been quietly growing over the last 30 years.  

Easy, take away a regular season non conference game. I know the SEC will probably throw a temper tantrum at the fact they'll lose a cupcake game but fuck'em

29 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

The world is just so unfair to poor Bama... 

Bama’s reward for finishing #1Posted by Eli Goldfinger iconAlabama.gif online on 12/2/18 at 12:09 pm
Facing the worst possible matchup scenario. 

Bama will probably lose a 55 - 45 game.

Oh God now Bama gets a guarenteed playoff spot AND gets to pick their opponent?

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Easy, take away a regular season non conference game. I know the SEC will probably throw a temper tantrum at the fact they'll lose a cupcake game but fuck'em

Yup. It's simple, you take away one cupcake week and give everyone two byes.

48 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Herbie said it because THE ohio st university is playing in something not called the CFP so n ow he wants everyone to care. Fuck herbie.

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

idk about player safety but imo if we go to an 8 team format the kids who play the extra games(which will bring in some pretty serious $) deserve to be compensated for it. Even if its only something like $10k per player for the extra games past the first round. A team that plays in the title game would have likely played 16 games compared to the 12-13 they were playing not so long ago.

Edited by Surlybastard

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So an 8-game playoff:

1. Bama
  2. Clemson
  3. Notre Dame
  4. Oklahoma
  5. Georgia
  6. Ohio State
  7. Michigan
  8. UCF

If the PAC wasn't such a fucking dumpster fire and if it showed signs of not being a dumpster fire going forward, they could have had a team in there (maybe in place of Michigan?), and this year would have made a nice 8-team playoff.

Even with those 8 teams above, advertisers would have been extremely happen, because they would have hit all the major media markets except for the West Coast, and they would have thoroughly covered the best CFB markets.

Here's hoping this will add some fuel to the 8-team playoff fire.

Under the P5 champs, G5 champ, two at large scenario, it would have been as follows:

1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. ND
4. OU
5. Georgia
6. OSU
7. UCF
8. Washington

Nobody with 1 loss is left out. All undefeated teams are in. Georgia is in. All P5 conference champs are in. It takes care of almost every gripe that people have about the current setup. The only ranked 2 loss teams that are left out are either teams that lost head to head with a team in the playoff and a 2 loss G5 champ, who is trumped by the undefeated G5 champ. It's so reasonable and fair that it is a travesty that it isn't happening and I  hope UCF wins their bowl game and files an anti-trust suit immediately after.

• Like 2