Kris Boyd probably should start showing up for meetings

TtomTerrific

Come on.

He’s covering the best receiver 1:1 all the time and has very little pass rush help. No DB is immune from getting burned.

His issue isn’t that he’s a bad cover man. He’s very very good. His issue is that he makes too many avoidable errors. To succeed in the nfl he will need to prove he can finally eliminate he dumb mistakes. He has the speed, heart, technique and attitude to be successful.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

No it does make senses. But I guess you are saying that Davis is givin help while he’s leaving Boyd on an island? Yeah I don’t think so. Davis doesn’t have nearly as many penalties when 1-1 with a receiver. You are right, he’s playing off the ball and still gets beat off of a 5yrd stop and go every game. Boyd is continuously thrown at in critical situations either gets beat or is flagged while getting beat or just plain mossed. If you can’t see that opposing teams know that Boyd is weak then you just don’t want to accept that an athlete can have talent out the ass but still suck. 

This isn’t hard. It’s been this way for a long time now. Now, do we need to get a better rush to help them out? Yes. But that’s just an excuse when we had a freackjng freshman get an award, not our “draft pick” senior but our FUCKING FRESHMAN 

edit: I know Boyd got an award but still everyone knows he wasn’t a first team’er. 

Davis is rarely ever 1-1 with a receiver, much less their best one. Watch when teams go 3x1 or off balanced sets who is singled up on the other side. Watch when we bring a safety up in the box where he is coming from. For whatever reason our coaching staff trusts him more than any other DB we have to not only to go 1 on 1 but take the other team's best receiver. So either they are idiots or they know more than we know. Either way it wasn't my decision, I am just supplying the information. Don't kill the messenger.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Come on.

He’s covering the best receiver 1:1 all the time and has very little pass rush help. No DB is immune from getting burned.

His issue isn’t that he’s a bad cover man. He’s very very good. His issue is that he makes too many avoidable errors. To succeed in the nfl he will need to prove he can finally eliminate he dumb mistakes. He has the speed, heart, technique and attitude to be successful.

He panics in the moment here and there. However, some of those penalties are the I was gonna give up a TD so I chose the 15 yarder instead variety.

Boyd's performance against OU was inexcusable. I don't care if he's on an island against Terrell Owens. I don't see Brandon Jones causing dozens of penalty yards every time he loses a match up. 

He is a super talented DB but kind of a rock head. An NFL team will gamble on him but our secondary isn't going to be any worse next season after seeing him go. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Boyd's performance against OU was inexcusable. I don't care if he's on an island against Terrell Owens. I don't see Brandon Jones causing dozens of penalty yards every time he loses a match up. 

He is a super talented DB but kind of a rock head. An NFL team will gamble on him but our secondary isn't going to be any worse next season after seeing him go. 

Did you watch his replacements play this year when he was out?

21 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Davis is rarely ever 1-1 with a receiver, much less their best one. Watch when teams go 3x1 or off balanced sets who is singled up on the other side. Watch when we bring a safety up in the box where he is coming from. For whatever reason our coaching staff trusts him more than any other DB we have to not only to go 1 on 1 but take the other team's best receiver. So either they are idiots or they know more than we know. Either way it wasn't my decision, I am just supplying the information. Don't kill the messenger.

Ok there’s different 1-1 situations; one by having 3x1 and then just isolating the corner with receiver via route combos by looking off a safety. But back to the 3x1or offset formations. Teams put Boyd on the one receiver side for a reason, and that is bc they know Boyd is awful in 1-1 situations. There’s a reason Davis isn’t a lot of 1-1 because they know he’s better than Boyd on 1-1. Our coaching staff can only do so much for the kid. 

Its kinda like what we do with Johnson. If we can put Cj in a formation to get him manned up on a lesser corner 1-1 we’re going to do it. That corner will either lose the battle, get flagged because he’s beat or just maybe stop him which doesn’t happen often. That corner sounds a whole lot like Boyd doesn’t it? 

I know you didn’t say it but for people to say “he flags to save touchdowns, so that’s good”. No it’s not! How about be in a position to make a play. You only flag if you get beat and he does it often. 

That last sentence is up there with some of your dumbest shit on this site. If the pass rush this year was as good as last season, he’d look a lot better. If Jones loses a matchup is damn near a touchdown every time it seems like.

10 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

That last sentence is up there with some of your dumbest shit on this site. If the pass rush this year was as good as last season, he’d look a lot better. If Jones loses a matchup is damn near a touchdown every time it seems like.

Is it? We are loaded with young talent at DB and adding another 3 4-stars and maybe 4 depending on what position Peyton Powell winds up at. 

We looked bad against OSU because we were playing true freshman with zero game experience. Those players aren't going to be worse next year.

Starting DB lineup of Sterns, Cook, Boyce and Brandon Jones plus Josh Thompson or BJ Foster* at the nickel, plus chris Brown, plus Overshown at the potential joker/dime spot and then we add Kenyatta Watson, Chris Adimora and Tyler Owens behind them.

There are some concerns for next year. The secondary isn't one of them. We will have the best secondary in the conference. Easily.

So yes - our #1 corner won't be as talented. The other 4 spots in the secondary will show improvement by default and more than make up for it.

Edited by ztejas

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Is it? We are loaded with young talent at DB and adding another 3 4-stars and maybe 4 depending on what position Peyton Powell winds up at. 

We looked bad against OSU because we were playing true freshman with zero game experience. Those players aren't going to be worse next year.

Starting DB lineup of Sterns, Cook, Boyce and Brandon Jones plus Josh Thompson or BJ Foster* at the nickel, plus chris Brown, plus Overshown at the potential joker/dime spot and then we add Kenyatta Watson, Chris Adimora and Tyler Owens behind them.

There are some concerns for next year. The secondary isn't one of them. We will have the best secondary in the conference. Easily.

So yes - our #1 corner won't be as talented. The other 4 spots in the secondary will show improvement by default and more than make up for it.

You are only as good as the scheme and the amount of time the opposing QB has to throw. We had 30 sacks this year which is 40th. To put that in perspective we haven't been lower than that since 2011 when we had 29. We had 45 and 47 in 08 and 09 when we were good defensively. You ask a defense to cover for a long time and someone will be open. Sacks and pressures are how you get picks. It's also how your corners get confidence to play aggressively. If you know your front 7 are going to hit home when you play on the back end, you can start playing aggressive on the short stuff.

You literally said the secondary would be better with Boyd gone. His potential backup has a qtr worth of experience. That’s not some huge amount. You don’t get better just because you’re older. Jones, Sterns, and Foster should be improved. From the little action Cook has seen, I feel like he should be ok. I’m anxious to see Locke’s replacement, but I’d bet there are enough busts from that spot to make you miss him a time or two. The next year though, should be awesome.

15 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

You literally said the secondary would be better with Boyd gone. His potential backup has a qtr worth of experience. That’s not some huge amount. You don’t get better just because you’re older. Jones, Sterns, and Foster should be improved. From the little action Cook has seen, I feel like he should be ok. I’m anxious to see Locke’s replacement, but I’d bet there are enough busts from that spot to make you miss him a time or two. The next year though, should be awesome.

That isn't what I said.

I said our secondary (as a whole) shouldn't be any worse after he leaves next season. Meaning - across the table we should play at a similar level. I'm not saying we should sit KB against Georgia. 

As I said in my 2nd comment, our CB1 won't be as good. Outside of that - every other position should be better and make up for it. Our secondary cupboard is about as stacked as any team in the nation - despite needing to find a replacement cornerback.

Yes, players dont always get better as they get older, but I'd like to think true freshman defensive backs should develop in the weight room and further understand coverage assignments and develop better chemistry. 

I can't think of any DB that peaked as a true freshman. It's silly to assume multiple players on our team would suffer that regression.

Apologies if anything was lost in translation. My general take is that Boyd wasn't consistent enough to where we are going to suffer as an overall unit without him next year. There is a lot of promise to help pick up the slack. Maybe we struggle a bit more against WR1s but I think the pass defense should he a little tighter - especially at the safety, nickel and dime level.

Hook em

PS - agree 100% that in 2020 our DB is going to be filthy. Now if we can just recruit the DLine worth a shit 🙄

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, DoneWithit said:

Ok there’s different 1-1 situations; one by having 3x1 and then just isolating the corner with receiver via route combos by looking off a safety. But back to the 3x1or offset formations. Teams put Boyd on the one receiver side for a reason, and that is bc they know Boyd is awful in 1-1 situations. There’s a reason Davis isn’t a lot of 1-1 because they know he’s better than Boyd on 1-1. Our coaching staff can only do so much for the kid. 

Its kinda like what we do with Johnson. If we can put Cj in a formation to get him manned up on a lesser corner 1-1 we’re going to do it. That corner will either lose the battle, get flagged because he’s beat or just maybe stop him which doesn’t happen often. That corner sounds a whole lot like Boyd doesn’t it? 

I know you didn’t say it but for people to say “he flags to save touchdowns, so that’s good”. No it’s not! How about be in a position to make a play. You only flag if you get beat and he does it often. 

Um, we determine who is lining up where in our sets not the opposing

That is not at all how it works. Just because a team lines up in a 3x1 doesn't mean you need to play man for man, which we don't. We play split coverage a lot and leave Boyd out there to fend for himself quite frequently. Orlando does that so he can bring pressures from different places and still manage the back end. That said, you can blame the coaching staff. They protect Davis a lot, which is why it seems like he is better than Boyd. However, if you read any scouting reports you will see why we are telling you he is not.

I said it on the recruiting thread and got killed for it but I'd feel better next year if we moved Sterns to Boyd's spot. He's our best db and has elite ball skills so put him in position to defend/pick as many passes as possible.

That gives us Jones and BJ at safety, Thompson at nickel and whoever wins out of Cook/Boyce/Green in the lower leverage Davis role opposite Sterns

16 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

I said it on the recruiting thread and got killed for it but I'd feel better next year if we moved Sterns to Boyd's spot. He's our best db and has elite ball skills so put him in position to defend/pick as many passes as possible.

That gives us Jones and BJ at safety, Thompson at nickel and whoever wins out of Cook/Boyce/Green in the lower leverage Davis role opposite Sterns

It was dumb then, and it's dumb now. We are going to take a big step back at corner next year. Both Devante Davis and Kris Boyd will be greatly missed. Cuffee was a bust, and Boyce isn't very good at all. We finally took heavy numbers at the position last cycle, so we're gonna need one of those guys to improve by a large amount going into next year.

Sterns could blow up at safety next year, let's not give him a new learning curve after he's shown so much promise early on.

43 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Sterns isn't fast enough to play CB1. He's also the best DB on our team at his current position. Moving him from safety would be asinine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Um, we determine who is lining up where in our sets not the opposing

That is not at all how it works. Just because a team lines up in a 3x1 doesn't mean you need to play man for man, which we don't. We play split coverage a lot and leave Boyd out there to fend for himself quite frequently. Orlando does that so he can bring pressures from different places and still manage the back end. That said, you can blame the coaching staff. They protect Davis a lot, which is why it seems like he is better than Boyd. However, if you read any scouting reports you will see why we are telling you he is not.

Last time I checked Boyd doesn’t go back and forth from side line to side line. So he can have one receiver on one play and 3 on his side the next play. So the “we determine who is lining up where in our sets not the opposing” doesn’t make sense half the time or more. How you can’t compute that boggles my mind. The art of a good offense is knowing the defensive weaknesses, like running an offensive formation that you know will isolate the defensive corner 1–1, whether it’s quarters , deep thirds or even split coverage. A lot of times you have a safety helping with anything underneath or over the top on the one receiver side in split coverage

. We don’t determine what they run on our defensive alignment, my god you think Orlando should know their every fucking move. 

Im not saying Boyd was awful but what am going to say is he was a liability. Doesn’t matter if he was getting beat or getting an unessary flag. Davis, Locke, Jones, nor sterns didn’t get flagged near as much as Boyd. 

Edited by DoneWithit

30 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Last time I checked Boyd doesn’t go back and forth from side line to side line. So he can have one receiver on one play and 3 on his side the next play. So the “we determine who is lining up where in our sets not the opposing” doesn’t make sense half the time or more. How you can’t compute that boggles my mind. The art of a good offense is knowing the defensive weaknesses, like running an offensive formation that you know will isolate the defensive corner 1–1, whether it’s quarters , deep thirds or even split coverage. A lot of times you have a safety helping with anything underneath or over the top on the one receiver side in split coverage

. We don’t determine what they run on our defensive alignment, my god you think Orlando should know their every fucking move. 

Im not saying Boyd was awful but what am going to say is he was a liability. Doesn’t matter if he was getting beat or getting an unessary flag. Davis, Locke, Jones, nor sterns didn’t get flagged near as much as Boyd. 

You can play zone vs a 3x1 set, have help underneath, and have the corner bail to a deep 3rd to get on top of any deep routes. That's called Cloud. It also happens to be something we run a lot. Not sure if you noticed it or not. So yes, we determine what we do vs the offense. Now as far as Davis is concerned, sure he doesn't get beat over the top a lot, but there is a reason for that. Here is what the draft scouts said about him.

Davis -Can open up his hips too early as wide receivers threaten vertically on him. Will allow for some shallow and intermediate passes because of this when receivers time up their breaks. Giving extra room in his alignment than the other cornerbacks on Texas’ defense.

Here is what they said about Boyd.

Chris Boyd- PROS: Sticky man coverage ability, with consistent and accurate jams to slow down wide receiver’s initial stems. Does an excellent job of remaining in phase vertically, locked on to the receiver’s hip. Tracks the ball while looking and leaning, and has shown the ability to get on top and run the route for the receiver. Shields catchpoint with body positioning. Tough to beat over the top because of his athleticism and aggressiveness. Smooth change of directions and transitions. Solid click and close ability who will react and locate with ease. Ball skills are evident as he competes at the catchpoint and racks up pass breakups. Plays the hands of the wide receiver whenever he is in position to do so.

CONS: Though he does a good job of tracking the ball and reacting, he has shaky hands and has some drops of potential interceptions. More content to knock the football away than to make the attempt at a takeaway. Has been beaten and is susceptible to double moves. 

Smooth athlete but isn’t necessarily that strong in his upper body and press, and additional strength could lead to a more well-rounded game. Doesn’t posses incredible explosiveness and will get high-pointed above the rim by receivers with elite ball skills and/or physical profiles.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/08/05/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-kris-boyd/

This

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You can play zone vs a 3x1 set, have help underneath, and have the corner bail to a deep 3rd to get on top of any deep routes. That's called Cloud. It also happens to be something we run a lot. Not sure if you noticed it or not. So yes, we determine what we do vs the offense. Now as far as Davis is concerned, sure he doesn't get beat over the top a lot, but there is a reason for that. Here is what the draft scouts said about him.

Davis -Can open up his hips too early as wide receivers threaten vertically on him. Will allow for some shallow and intermediate passes because of this when receivers time up their breaks. Giving extra room in his alignment than the other cornerbacks on Texas’ defense.

Chris Boyd- PROS: Sticky man coverage ability, with consistent and accurate jams to slow down wide receiver’s initial stems. Does an excellent job of remaining in phase vertically, locked on to the receiver’s hip. Tracks the ball while looking and leaning, and has shown the ability to get on top and run the route for the receiver. Shields catchpoint with body positioning. Tough to beat over the top because of his athleticism and aggressiveness. Smooth change of directions and transitions. Solid click and close ability who will react and locate with ease. Ball skills are evident as he competes at the catchpoint and racks up pass breakups. Plays the hands of the wide receiver whenever he is in position to do so.

CONS: Though he does a good job of tracking the ball and reacting, he has shaky hands and has some drops of potential interceptions. More content to knock the football away than to make the attempt at a takeaway. Has been beaten and is susceptible to double moves. 

Smooth athlete but isn’t necessarily that strong in his upper body and press, and additional strength could lead to a more well-rounded game. Doesn’t posses incredible explosiveness and will get high-pointed above the rim by receivers with elite ball skills and/or physical profiles.

He has no ball skills which will eat him alive in the NFL where most QBs can place the ball at an elite level. Hell, having no ball skills has eaten him alive in college

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Yeah I understand cloud, ran it a lot in college, it’s basically deep thirds which I said. But that was my point earlier when I said a qb can look off over top help to create a quick 1-1 window. Which they did a lot with Boyd  

Also I wouldn’t say he tracks the ball that well, didn’t see it vs tech but I would give that he can finish great. Good at breaking it up in transition i.e Brown in the corner of the end zone. 

55 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Chris Boyd sounds pretty good. We could really use a corner with ball skills. I'd trade Kris Boyd for him any day.

Something worth mentioning is just how much he’s improved. Two years ago he looked lost out there and people were writing him off. This should give everyone a belief that his ceiling is yet to be reached and our younger players are getting really, really good development before we see them in game situations.

It cracks me up when people point out that the naysayers are forgetting that we leave Boyd on an island against the other team's best receiver a lot.

No one's forgetting that.  That's what you do with your #1 corner.  And if you can't do it with confidence, your #1 corner isn't very good.

Boyd does a lot of things right, but his terrible ball skills ruin a lot of it.  Too frequently his coverage is tight but he has no idea where the ball is or when it's getting there.  So he panics and guesses and misses an interception or a knock down that he should have had.  Or he panics and gets a DPI.  I hope some NFL coaching can help him make the most of his considerable physical gifts.  But I'm also looking forward to seeing some new blood at CB for Texas.

16 hours ago, SKA the boss said:

Something worth mentioning is just how much he’s improved. Two years ago he looked lost out there and people were writing him off. This should give everyone a belief that his ceiling is yet to be reached and our younger players are getting really, really good development before we see them in game situations.

2 days ago he looked pretty lost for much of the first half and parts of the second. 

27 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

It cracks me up when people point out that the naysayers are forgetting that we leave Boyd on an island against the other team's best receiver a lot.

No one's forgetting that.  That's what you do with your #1 corner.  And if you can't do it with confidence, your #1 corner isn't very good.

Boyd does a lot of things right, but his terrible ball skills ruin a lot of it.  Too frequently his coverage is tight but he has no idea where the ball is or when it's getting there.  So he panics and guesses and misses an interception or a knock down that he should have had.  Or he panics and gets a DPI.  I hope some NFL coaching can help him make the most of his considerable physical gifts.  But I'm also looking forward to seeing some new blood at CB for Texas.

Boyd will do fine in the NFL because NFL defenses don't make you run with a receiver for 5 seconds.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, that's fair. Boyd isn't good/disciplined enough to be CB1 on a good defense like Holton Hill was last year. He's still a value-add to this team, no matter what the idiots who want him to sit out the Sugar Bowl say.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

The secondary will be better with Boyd and Locke gone. Boyd and Davis were competent CBs. Boyd as a 1st team Big 12’er, and Locke as a starter, are hilarious. Neither is anywhere near the standard of DBU. The future is in the young guys. 

The secondary will not be better in week 1 with Boyd gone.

3 penalties in the first quarter???! 

yeah i agree with Dr. Beeper -- we'll be better w/o kb.  Still hope he makes it, he's got the body.  Maybe small size LB if the NFL is going that direction.  Again proves that All- "whatever" awards don't amount to real life. Game threads is where NFL scouts should look for tangible proof of greatness (or not).

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The secondary will not be better in week 1 with Boyd gone.

Safetys good, but the corners not so much. Week 2, 3, 4, and so on. Some of you guys are going to want them back early next year. Expect some burnt toast moments. We have been spoiled for the last couple of years. Boyd and Davis where good, but expect some growing pains early on. That's just the way it is.

Err: Hope i'm wrong

Edited by ckhorn
Hope springs eternal

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

He had a shaky week of practices, too:

2 hours ago, NowThis said:

3 penalties in the first quarter???! 

yeah i agree with Dr. Beeper -- we'll be better w/o kb.  Still hope he makes it, he's got the body.  Maybe small size LB if the NFL is going that direction.  Again proves that All- "whatever" awards don't amount to real life. Game threads is where NFL scouts should look for tangible proof of greatness (or not).

Still think that Kris Boyd is a Safety in the NFL with decent coverage skills... for a safety/3rd down LB. 

He does NOT have NFL coverage skills. (Or even P5 coverage skills.)

2 hours ago, ckhorn said:

Safetys good, but the corners not so much. Week 2, 3, 4, and so on. Some of you guys are going to want them back early next year. Expect some burnt toast moments. We have been spoiled for the last couple of years. Boyd and Davis where good, but expect some growing pains early on. That's just the way it is.

Err: Hope i'm wrong

unless LaTech has a Terry Bradshaw (do they?) it won't matter in week 1. 

LSU has a terrible passing game so no worries there. 

5 minutes ago, NowThis said:

unless LaTech has a Terry Bradshaw (do they?) it won't matter in week 1. 

LSU has a terrible passing game so no worries there. 

Got to watch a couple of games of Bradshaw playing freshman ball at LSU. Unbelievable arm. He also won the frosh NCAA Javelin before flunking out and heading off to LaTech. Can't believe they couldn't find a class or ten to keep him eligible.

15 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Got to watch a couple of games of Bradshaw playing freshman ball at LSU. Unbelievable arm. He also won the frosh NCAA Javelin before flunking out and heading off to LaTech. Can't believe they couldn't find a class or ten to keep him eligible.

didn't know he started out at LSU. As a Oiler fan, always was curious how that talent ended up at LaTech.  Not impossible, Favre and Romo went to small schools, but still.