Found Wallet help, possibly scammer

FriendofaFriend

So my wife left her wallet in a cart at HEB in Katy. My wife was contacted via Facebook by someone who says she found it. The person is being kind of weird, saying she will bring it by our house tomorrow but not responding about wanting to meet her to pick it up tonight. Here is her Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/daniela.margalho?ref=content_filter

Can the Shaggy sleuths help me a find out as much as possible about her so I can try to be proactive and make sure I am not dealing with a person trying to scam my wife? I know this should be in the Help forum but I wanted more eyes on it as soon as possible just in case. 

Well... does anyone else know that your wife lost her wallet in a parking lot?

Asking for a friend of a friend.

In all seriousness, if they have they wallet let them return it if they wish. They already have your address. Do you live in Texas? Answer the door with a .45 in your hand, and if any shit goes down, you're protected by the law for shooting them. What's the question, again?

• Like 2

So you all can see the FB profile, as well as her supposed family profiles. Not a damn thing to go on. She messaged my wife via FB messager saying she found the wallet. My wife said thanks, and asked how to get it. Lady said no problem, she will bring it to our house tomorrow (address on drivers license). Wife says that she would like to get it tonight and can meet somewhere. One hour and fifteen minutes later the lady says she is in Houston now but lives in Katy. Wife says it doesn't matter how far just let her know where to meet. She never responded after that. All cards have been canceled and reported lost/stolen. The wallet is like a $100 wallet and there was probably like $50 cash and $40 in gift cards, so no big loss there. We notified the police and had a report made. Both the officer and my wife tried to call her through FB messenger but she doesn't respond. We already have identity theft alerts on all our accounts from having someone file a fake tax return last year. Too many red flags to not be a scam... but why did she message my wife in the first place? So she wouldn't cancel the cards before she had a chance to rack up charges? What's her game?

Maybe the finder of the wallet used Facebook to contact your wife and then got sucked into a Facebook wormhole like most women and hasn't realized hours have passed since she picked up her head.  

As soon as she finishes sharing keto recipes she'll never fix and posting thoughts and prayers, she'll pop back up and call your wife.  Give her some time - Facebook is serious business.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Or she found it after somebody else had lifted the cash and discarded the wallet. I'd be happy getting the driver's license back in that situation. I think you guys completely overreacted to this. 

The lady said she found it in a little cart right at the exit of the store, which is where my wife left it. I picked her up from the spot, literally 15 feet or less from the exit doors. I doubt someone else saw the wallet, opened it, took what they want and placed it back on the cart. Especially on a Sunday afternoon, where there are a hundreds of people watching. It's always possible, but highly unlikely. I also don't know what kind of faith you have in humanity to call making a police report on someone who has your ID's/credit cards and is being super sketchy "overreacting," especially when she wont met up somewhere and says she is coming by your house. If you haven't learned by now, most people are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. We are happy to get the drivers license back but I'd put money on she tried to use one of our cancelled credit cards last night. 

11 hours ago, FriendofaFriend said:

So you all can see the FB profile, as well as her supposed family profiles. Not a damn thing to go on. She messaged my wife via FB messager saying she found the wallet. My wife said thanks, and asked how to get it. Lady said no problem, she will bring it to our house tomorrow (address on drivers license). Wife says that she would like to get it tonight and can meet somewhere. One hour and fifteen minutes later the lady says she is in Houston now but lives in Katy. Wife says it doesn't matter how far just let her know where to meet. She never responded after that. All cards have been canceled and reported lost/stolen. The wallet is like a $100 wallet and there was probably like $50 cash and $40 in gift cards, so no big loss there. We notified the police and had a report made. Both the officer and my wife tried to call her through FB messenger but she doesn't respond. We already have identity theft alerts on all our accounts from having someone file a fake tax return last year. Too many red flags to not be a scam... but why did she message my wife in the first place? So she wouldn't cancel the cards before she had a chance to rack up charges? What's her game?

No forced entry when she came to your house.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FriendofaFriend said:

I wasn't there and I did not play football for Baylor, so no

Was answering from work and was probably not clear.  "She" wanted to meet your wife at your house with reasons of bad intent.  If she were to burglarize, or rob while she was there, there would be no signs of someone forcibly entering your property.  Probably not EVER a good idea for your wife to meet anyone at your home, especially if you are not there.

I'd honestly say to hell with and cut potential losses.  If she will not meet at a public location, tell her to keep the wallet etc.  Lifelock is your friend. (and mine as well)

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Was answering from work and was probably not clear.  "She" wanted to meet your wife at your house with reasons of bad intent.  If she were to burglarize, or rob while she was there, there would be no signs of someone forcibly entering your property.  Probably not EVER a good idea for your wife to meet anyone at your home, especially if you are not there.

I'd honestly say to hell with and cut potential losses.  If she will not meet at a public location, tell her to keep the wallet etc.  Lifelock is your friend. (and mine as well)

Sorry, I misunderstood. But yes this is a good point. Of course my wife doesn't open the door for anyone anyway. I agree with taking the loss (pussy), and my wife messaged her later last night that she did not want her to come to our house but of course she did not respond. The lady already had our address and was coming whether we liked it or not.

4 minutes ago, FriendofaFriend said:

Sorry, I misunderstood. But yes this is a good point. Of course my wife doesn't open the door for anyone anyway. I agree with taking the loss (pussy), and my wife messaged her later last night that she did not want her to come to our house but of course she did not respond. The lady already had our address and was coming whether we liked it or not.

PM sent.......

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FriendofaFriend said:

That's another thing... she messaged this morning and asked "will you be at your house in the morning" and would not give an exact time. Sketchy AF

Her whole facebook page is in Spanish.  She probably doesn't understand much of what your wife is saying and might need a friend to translate.

6 minutes ago, Richter said:

Her whole facebook page is in Spanish.  She probably doesn't understand much of what your wife is saying and might need a friend to translate.

She said:

dame tu perra dinero hora chingada

Also, didn't her location indicate a foreign country?

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Richter said:

The language and cultural barriers are the only thing that could make this situation seem somewhat normal, and we have thought of that. We would rather be more on the skeptical side just for safety's sake. We are definitely on high alert for at least today

8 hours ago, FriendofaFriend said:

I agree with taking the loss (pussy)

See, this is the shit they don't tell you about before you get married.  You're fucking going to take that loss, over, and over, and fucking over again.  Keys phone wallet, keys phone wallet.  Just the most fucking important inanimate things in EVERY FUCKING PERSONS LIFE.

My lady and I started living together over 12 years ago and she loves to cook (win).  Cooking makes opening and closing the fridge a requirement, which she was really fucking terrible at.  So I was an asshole and put a fucking sign on the fridge that said close the fucking door, everytime.  I caught hell, called an asshole, you know the story.  But you know what, that fucking fridge has never been ajar one fucking day since, and she absolutely makes sure every fucking time.  Sometimes you gotta lose the little battles to win the fucking war.

That's my message to the youth.  Looking at you millennials.

Edited by mulletpelini
Oh, you've got insurance on her cellphone too, right? RIGHT?
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

more than likely the hope was that your wife would answer something like "OK I will be home after work at 4" and then they would know she works until 4

even if they did not break in that day if they were playing the "long game" they would know that your wife works and generally gets home from work at 4

or more info something like "well my husband is at work until 6, but I get home at 4 so you can come by anytime after 4" and again they know a schedule for the both of you

or any other shit like "well I am home most of the day, but I pick up the kids from school at 2:45 so I will be back home at 3:15"

there are a lot of dumb ass people out there that will give WAY too much information out especially if they think they are giving it to someone wanting to "help" them and really that is what facebook crime is all about dumb ass people posting way too much info like the family will be out of town for a month just above the photos of all the electronics, guns and jewelry they got for Christmas

not to be too paranoid, but I would consider putting any shit that is not easily replaced and has meaning like grandma's old wedding ring in the safe deposit box for a while and then if they do keep coming around and break in they will only get the TVs and shit like that which have no real sentimental value

I would get a camera or two as well and go over you, the wife and any kids facebook pages and scrub shit that gives a hint about daily routines......more then likely with the front porch random drop off they will move on, but who knows "long game"

• Like 2

also that page is barely active and probably fake I doubt someone with that little of activity on their page would find a wallet in a cart right inside HEB and then "do a favor" by taking it with them to fucking Katy to fucking facebook the people to tell them "hey I have your wallet when can we meet"

generally if they were honest they would go turn it right in to the CS desk and if halfway honest they would go outside, take the cash out of it and the gift cards and then walk back in and say "I found this in the parking lot" and turn it in and if just in it for a quick buck they would throw it down in the parking lot after cleaning it out and let someone else worry about it

if your neighbors have cameras you might ask to view them just to see if it was a blonde female that dropped off the wallet at your door Vs one of the people from Vic's friends list

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 1

Why would someone wanting to steal the wallet or break into your house then message you about returning the wallet leaving a clear paper trail to get caught???   I’m in the that was a huge over reaction camp.  Wife thought she had more money then she did so now says it’s light and a good sameratin was busy not being on Facebook for a couple hours god forbid.

• Like 3

Is this the surly version of those Facebook posts from upper middle class neighborhoods where someone posts a picture from their doorbell camera of some guy going door to door leaving menus for a local restaurant, and people chime in with suggestions to call the police because you can never be too careful, and then another confidently says that they were casing the neighborhood?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Why would someone wanting to steal the wallet or break into your house then message you about returning the wallet leaving a clear paper trail to get caught???   I’m in the that was a huge over reaction camp.  Wife thought she had more money then she did so now says it’s light and a good sameratin was busy not being on Facebook for a couple hours god forbid.

I dare you to find anything out about the lady just using the Facebook page I have in the OP. I spent hours and the only thing I could find out was that her family members listed took part in a go fund me for a Hurricane Harvey victim. There is no paper trail. She did not give her phone #,  just all through FB messenger. 

3 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

more than likely the hope was that your wife would answer something like "OK I will be home after work at 4" and then they would know she works until 4

even if they did not break in that day if they were playing the "long game" they would know that your wife works and generally gets home from work at 4

or more info something like "well my husband is at work until 6, but I get home at 4 so you can come by anytime after 4" and again they know a schedule for the both of you

or any other shit like "well I am home most of the day, but I pick up the kids from school at 2:45 so I will be back home at 3:15"

there are a lot of dumb ass people out there that will give WAY too much information out especially if they think they are giving it to someone wanting to "help" them and really that is what facebook crime is all about dumb ass people posting way too much info like the family will be out of town for a month just above the photos of all the electronics, guns and jewelry they got for Christmas

not to be too paranoid, but I would consider putting any shit that is not easily replaced and has meaning like grandma's old wedding ring in the safe deposit box for a while and then if they do keep coming around and break in they will only get the TVs and shit like that which have no real sentimental value

I would get a camera or two as well and go over you, the wife and any kids facebook pages and scrub shit that gives a hint about daily routines......more then likely with the front porch random drop off they will move on, but who knows "long game"

This is exactly what it seemed like she was fishing for... more info on our habits. She got nothing other than confirmation that we live at the address on the drivers license. We have security features and I feel pretty safe. The only thing I worry about is something happening while my wife and kids are home...but why rob my house and not a random nicer one? I think between us giving her no info and the constable leaving her a message on FB messenger, she should realize she isn't going to get anything else from us and move on. Of course she may just be a moron and not know how to handle finding other people's personal property in a public place that has standardized procedures for found items. Either way, I think we are done here.

My only point being the authorities could trace her down with Facebook like the email or IP address or something if they Did rob you.  It’s far from a fake Facebook her family is all over it, pictures in front of their house,  her mother is a doctor, she has 2 sisters, ect ect...  If they had to authorities could track her down pretty easy from all the info on Facebook.  Language barrier might have been a communication error here for sure but this lady is far from the criminal you automatically went to I think.

Edited by Hook1997