FRONTLINE: The Facebook Dilemma

Hugo Stiglitz

On 10/29/2018 at 2:43 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Facebook is AOL reincarnated.  There are people (my inlaws) who have no idea what the Internet is any longer, for everything---EVERYTHING---they get is from Facebook.  Facebook email, news from Facebook, ads, you name it.  If a video clip isn't on Facebook, it doesn't exist.  If some negative news comes out about the administration, they would never know....for their Facebook feed has no mention of this.  Hell, Trump could be impeached tomorrow, and I wonder if their Facebook feed would report it as reality and not pass it off as fake news.

Hell, their iPhones have three functions----make/take calls, take photos and Facebook.

I just don't get it.

Surly is the new facebook...

With far better pics if you know where to look.

Edited by slorch

I've put a ton of interesting Traces of Texas history and photos (more than 16,000)  on Facebook over the last six years and if you aren't reading it you're missing out on some pretty good stuff.  And you don't have to have a Facebook account to read it.

This and cool shit like it is why I’m on FB. Stuff to do ideas too. You can tailor FB to be what you want. Insta too.

So when Tim Cook was asked about Facebook and the privacy issues, he said they felt privacy is a human right, and that they wouldn’t traffic in customers privacy/info.  

Zuckerberg, being the fucking snowflake that he is, ordered his staff not to use iPhones.  

It has been amusing to see Sandberg’s legacy and image being torn down so quickly.  

Her career and image were moving along at a healthy pace and then

hF8C05CB9

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So when Tim Cook was asked about Facebook and the privacy issues, he said they felt privacy is a human right, and that they wouldn’t traffic in customers privacy/info.  

I don't believe those assholes for one second either. 

Just now, TornACL said:

I don't believe those assholes for one second either. 

I don’t see cops publicly bitching about Google constantly trying to buff up the security of Android phones to defeat the various devices law enforcement uses to read locked phones.  

Hell, the FBI took Apple to court to try and force them to make iPhone owners’ info easier to access, and even Comey himself bitched in front of Congress about Apple locking down owners’ info.

No comparison to how Facebook played fast and loose with letting anybody and everybody access customer info.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don’t see cops publicly bitching about Google constantly trying to buff up the security of Android phones to defeat the various devices law enforcement uses to read locked phones.  

Hell, the FBI took Apple to court to try and force them to make iPhone owners’ info easier to access, and even Comey himself bitched in front of Congress about Apple locking down owners’ info.

No comparison to how Facebook played fast and loose with letting anybody and everybody access customer info.

All those companies use your data to sell you more stuff.  Facebook is only worse because they sell it to third parties, and don't even pretend to give a shit.  There should be a mass exodus from Facebook after the NY Times article, but there won't be.

I wonder how well the new Facebook Portal, home invasion device is going to sell now.

Edited by FondrenRoad

Same fucking idiots who bought Alexa and Google Home device.  I realize many of you need more attention in your lives, but putting these things in your home around your children, that's just insane.  Just go to a bar and chatup a bartender with your mindless drivel.  Better yet, post here.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Same fucking idiots who bought Alexa and Google Home device.  I realize many of you need more attention in your lives, but putting these things in your home around your children, that's just insane.  Just go to a bar and chatup a bartender with your mindless drivel.  Better yet, post here.  

What do you think they do to children?

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

What do you think they do to children?

Record what they say because they have no filter and then market the hell outta that material.  It's bad enough, I gotta worry about every other commercial convincing my daughter she needs a paw patrol slanket.  I don't need a device recording her unfiltered monologues every day and then shipping us that shit for full retail.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Record what they say because they have no filter and then market the hell outta that material.  It's bad enough, I gotta worry about every other commercial convincing my daughter she needs a paw patrol slanket.  I don't need a device recording her unfiltered monologues every day and then shipping us that shit for full retail.  

Its easy to turn off the ability to purchase over the device. TV is much worse for kids. What is a slanket?

It's even easier to just not buy one and not put it in your house.  TV is horrible.  She gets 30 minutes of screen time a day, between iPad and TV.  That's probably too much.  

I think it's called a slanket.  It's like a robe/blanket for kids.  I think that's what it's called.  She really wants the paw patrol one.  Christmas is coming, seems like an easy gift.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

We've got an Alexa in the house and the other day my son asked me if Alexa was a person or a robot.  I told him to ask 'her'.  The response from Alexa was "I don't think I can answer that right now".  It was pretty mind blowing watching my son ask a robot/primitive AI if it was a human or a robot.  

FB is fucked.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

You missed the point. They don't have to be equivalent in their shittiness in order for one to be skeptical of both. 

3 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

We've got an Alexa in the house and the other day my son asked me if Alexa was a person or a robot.  I told him to ask 'her'.  The response from Alexa was "I don't think I can answer that right now".  It was pretty mind blowing watching my son ask a robot/primitive AI if it was a human or a robot.  

FB is fucked.

That's awesome.  I'm sure there's already a youtube channel dedicated to watching small kids ask esoteric questions to Alexa, but yours should be on there.  I've often thought the most effective Turing Test would be conducted by a non-linear thinking 3 year old.  

4 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

FB is fucked.

Alexa isn't really an AI though.  All it really does is process if then statements.  There are some actual primitive AIs you can talk to if you say "Alexa, let's chat."  But even that sucks because it just selects a random Alexa Prize chatbot that remembers nothing about the conversation after it is over.

39 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Alexa isn't really an AI though.  All it really does is process if then statements.  There are some actual primitive AIs you can talk to if you say "Alexa, let's chat."  But even that sucks because it just selects a random Alexa Prize chatbot that remembers nothing about the conversation after it is over.

HELLO FONDRENROAD, MY NAME IS DOCTOR SBAITSO.

I AM HERE TO HELP YOU.

SAY WHATEVER IS IN YOUR MIND FREELY,

OUR CONVERSATION WILL BE KEPT IN STRICT CONFIDENCE.

MEMORY CONTENTS WILL BE WIPED OFF AFTER YOU LEAVE,

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I AM HERE TO HELP YOU.

Doc, can you write prescriptions?

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Isn't this the guy that was instrumental for Cambridge Analytica to be so effective in manipulating elections?  Good for him that he is a whistle-blower on some of these technologies but that doesn't cut him any slack for the evil he was apart of.

He knows, that’s why he came forward.

On 11/15/2018 at 3:55 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I AM HERE TO HELP YOU.

the allcaps...LOLz.

From the outside it looks like Zuckerberg's known skills to run one of the largest companies in the world are based on starting facebook (ridiculously huge achievement) and that he structured the company so he can't be fired (smart move.)    But is there evidence that he knows crisis mgmt?   Sometimes founders can ultimately find that they are not good at running the company long term.    They're in unknown territory on how to solve some of their problems but hopefully they don't take the path of cover-up.

Perhaps Facebook is also caught in the Wall St quarterly reporting trap.   Nothing except numbers matter.  And what to do with a crisis, when solutions may impact the bottom line or hurt your reputation.

57 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

From the outside it looks like Zuckerberg's known skills to run one of the largest companies in the world are based on starting facebook (ridiculously huge achievement) and that he structured the company so he can't be fired (smart move.)    But is there evidence that he knows crisis mgmt?   Sometimes founders can ultimately find that they are not good at running the company long term.    They're in unknown territory on how to solve some of their problems but hopefully they don't take the path of cover-up.

Perhaps Facebook is also caught in the Wall St quarterly reporting trap.   Nothing except numbers matter.  And what to do with a crisis, when solutions may impact the bottom line or hurt your reputation.

I think Facebook’s/Zuckerberg’s biggest problem is they have no idea how to measure the damage they’ve caused (are causing). It’s not just Facebook but other big tech and social media platforms too.

If you can’t measure the problem, you can’t manage it.

Zuck is treating his situation in probably the best way he knows how, like any other big corporation that hires a ton of PR crisis firms to give advice on how to minimize damage and keep producing for shareholders.

The problem with that approach is it’s insanely tone deaf and will only lead to more backlash and issues down the road.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

On 10/29/2018 at 12:12 PM, Lobo said:

Not to CR this up, but you did post it here.  I am genuinely curious as to what hardcore Democrats think about facebook in this day and age.  It was their darling during Arab Spring, and for Obama fundraisers, and get-out-the-vote efforts.  Turns out it's more materially concerned with profit, data collection, privacy violations, and cattle herding people into easily exploitable categories for its own endgames than nearly every other corporation in global history.  

Under the guise of "connecting people", it has creatively manipulated that platform to its own ends while violating nearly every foundation of what it means to be a human in a social world.  Wait, I just got the attraction.  Nevermind.  ;) 

But seriously, why do they continue to get a pass from liberals in this country?  They couldn't be more diametrically at odds.  

Speaking as someone who doesn't identify with either of those groups, the short answer is that the Democratic Party itself has been the party of Big Business since Clinton, even to the point of favoring policies that support Big Biz over small businesses/entrepreneurship, and much more so than the GOP. This wasn't as big of a shift as it seems on the surface, because most pro-Labor, pro-Union policies can really only be financed by massive corporations, so these regulations help to cement the oppositional relationship between management and employee. This is, incidentally, why Labor overwhelmingly moved in favor of Trump once they saw him speaking their language and, in the case of Wisconsin, actually bothering to show up.

(Now, before you go saying that the GOP is then somehow the party of small business, it's not. Frankly, I'm not sure the GOP stands for anything any more. I mean, both parties are shit, but at least the Democrats are somewhat loosely based on a coalition of beliefs.)

As for Liberals, do these Liberals you describe exist outside of fiction? Because every Liberal I know despises Facebook for the very reasons you outline. The whole shebang with Russian hackers on Facebook getting Trump elected has only brought that into sharper relief.

• Like 1