Tex Mex

blacklab

• 2 months later...

Wife wanted Enchiladas y Mas last night for game-watching, so I called, no bueno, closed.  At that point she was set on TexMex so I suggested Maudie's (Milagro) since it's close and has some similar recipes.  I got the Perfecto Enchiladas and she got Poblano Cream chicken enchiladas.

Well, despite being the same basic dish as my go-to at EyM (Enchiladas con Queso), the Perfecto enchiladas weren't as good.  Not bad, but just not as tasty.  However, the chicken enchiladas went over well, so maybe take that as a recommendation.

Then Xavier shit the bed.

Edited by jimmyjazz

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wife wanted Enchiladas y Mas last night for game-watching, so I called, no bueno, closed.  At that point she was set on TexMex so I suggested Maudie's (Milagro) since it's close and has some similar recipes.  I got the Perfecto Enchiladas and she got Poblano Cream chicken enchiladas.

Well, despite being the same basic dish as my go-to at EyM (Enchiladas con Queso), the Perfecto enchiladas weren't as good.  Not bad, but just not as tasty.  However, the chicken enchiladas went over well, so maybe take that as a recommendation.

Then Xavier shit the bed.

Maudie's Perfecto comes standard topped with chile con carne, but not chile con queso.  Did you have them add the queso to make it more like EyM's Enchiladas con Queso, which has both chile con carne and chile con queso on top?  

Maudie's chile con carne is very close to EyM's "beef sauce" so ordering any of their standard enchiladas tastes very similar.  I do agree it's not quite as good, but it's pretty close.

But I don't like chile con queso over enchiladas, too soggy for me, so I can't speak to that, if that's the change you requested. 

Maudie's chile con carne is very close to EyM's "beef sauce" so ordering any of their standard enchiladas tastes very similar.  I do agree it's not quite as good, but it's pretty close.

They’re both based on Jorge Arredondo’s recipe. Including those two restaurants he also had AusTexMex and the OG Jorge’s on Hancock. Dude couldn’t keep a restaurant open but he could cook.

58 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

They’re both based on Jorge Arredondo’s recipe. Including those two restaurants he also had AusTexMex and the OG Jorge’s on Hancock. Dude couldn’t keep a restaurant open but he could cook.

Yes, indeed.  I've lived in Austin my entire life, 50+ years now. :)

20 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Not for nothing, but it has always puzzled me that the Maudie’s at the Triangle didn’t work out. On paper it seemed like the perfect marriage of brand, product and location.

Agreed. It was a great place for decent Tex Mex and parents could slam drinks while their kids were on the playground.

Not for nothing, but it has always puzzled me that the Maudie’s at the Triangle didn’t work out. On paper it seemed like the perfect marriage of brand, product and location.

The owner of Galaxy told me he decided the month they opened he was going to close the day his lease was up. The parking situation was such a clusterfuck for staff and customers, it wasn’t worth the headache.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The owner of Galaxy told me he decided the month they opened he was going to close the day his lease was up. The parking situation was such a clusterfuck for staff and customers, it wasn’t worth the headache.

That’s weird to me. I’ve never had a problem finding a spot in the parking garage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Going to be in North Austin around I-35 & Tech Ridge this weekend for a conference.
Recommends???? Especially with homemade tortillas.

Homemade tortillas, not many places at all.

I35/Tech Ridge is pretty close to the northern part of North Lamar.  There's a Chuy's and a Maudie's right there.  

There is a Vazquez on Braker, just east of I-35.  Good food, but I doubt they make their own tortillas.

There are a million little mom & pop joints in north Austin, most from Metric eastward, plenty north of 183.  

Edited by jimmyjazz
gee-og-raphy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There is a Vazquez on Braker, just east of I-35.  Good food, but I doubt they make their own tortillas.

There are a million little mom & pop joints in north Austin, most from Metric eastward, plenty north of 183.  

Oh yeah Vazquez is really good.   But definitely don't think they make their own tortillas.

Honestly if "homemade tortillas" is your single most important criterion, then Taco Cabana is the place to go.  The rest of their food sucks now but the tortillas are still good.

On 4/20/2023 at 1:39 PM, Both Tacos said:

Anyone heard of Lupa Tortilla on Mopac? They say homemade tortillas on site and reviews seem good

Their breakfast is suprsingly legit. Fajita egg and queso taco, carnitas benedict etc. Fair price for the portions. 

Lots of hate but great beef fajitas. The rest is meh 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 1:39 PM, Both Tacos said:

Anyone heard of Lupa Tortilla on Mopac? They say homemade tortillas on site and reviews seem good

Lupe is a chain... It's middle. I've gotten sick from the one in Oak Forest, as has mi esposa.

I've had fish tacos that werent cooked at the one at Memorial City.

I tend to avoid Lupe.

But Teotihuacan can get it... So can a bunch of random taco trucks.

(Houston TexMex)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Habanero and Curra's are both on Oltorf.  Both have fussy hours.  Habanero stops seating at 2:30 PM, 7 days a week.  Curra's is open for dinner every day but Sunday, when they close after lunch.  They don't have breakfast or lunch on Tuesdays.  Look it up.

I wouldn't say either is "Tex Mex" per se, they're close enough, and better than most joints.

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Habanero and Curra's are both on Oltorf.  Both have fussy hours.  Habanero stops seating at 2:30 PM, 7 days a week.  Curra's is open for dinner every day but Sunday, when they close after lunch.  They don't have breakfast or lunch on Tuesdays.  Look it up.

I wouldn't say either is "Tex Mex" per se, they're close enough, and better than most joints.

My wife and I were just talking about Curra’s yesterday.  Terrible parking situation but good food.  The Curra’s item I miss the most is the lamb empanadas on appetizer menu.  Damn those are delicious.

On 4/29/2023 at 3:31 PM, South Austin said:

Never been to Lupe, but my firm will order their fajitas spread for lunches every once in a while. It’s pretty good, but not good enough for me venture there.

It's a corny chain, but not bad.  But it's gotten increasingly expensive, inflating much faster than most restaurants.  I'd never go there but for it's close and I appreciated that during first 18-24 months of Covid, they figured out how to position their patio fans to oscillate your tables shit away from others on the patio.  Yeah, you were in the line of fire of your guests but at least you weren't doing it to others.  good service to boot. 

On 5/9/2023 at 10:08 PM, ftf82 said:

Mi Madre’s.  Get the 0 and the 15.

This is an underrated gem near UT.  One of my go-to's when on campus.  Also getting a little aggressive with their pricing.  But never had a bad meal, it's authentic without trying too hard, awesome salsa, and great service.  Just park across Manor and be done with the little lot.  And of course from my younger days, the "hidden" Mezcal bar is a cool treat to show an out-of-towner or client after a very solid meal. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dirtonia said:

Oh no, no tea today at Enchiladas y Mas, guess that means margs and cancelling all afternoon meetings today. Oh shucks!

I can honestly say the thought of ordering tea at EyM has never once crossed my mind.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Not that anyone was clamoring to go there, but I'm here to testify that Rio Grande in Pflugerville does not slam, and it does not go hard.  Long story short, let's just say we had to have a family consult and that was where the vote landed.  The refried beans actually tasted like nothing.  Oof.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not that anyone was clamoring to go there, but I'm here to testify that Rio Grande in Pflugerville does not slam, and it does not go hard.  Long story short, let's just say we had to have a family consult and that was where the vote landed.  The refried beans actually tasted like nothing.  Oof.

353.gif

Pretty much the entire Metro Austin area would make that list. It’s mind bottling that a big city so close to San Antonio can have worse Tex-mex than little towns like Burnet and Kingsland. It’s embarrassing really.

• Like 1