Tex Mex

blacklab

Que Divino opened up in NW Hills on Greystone near Mopac. It's very relevant to my geographic location as we're less than 5 minutes away.

They just opened and seem to be going with a quiet/soft approach to work out the kinks. Google still says "Opens July", and when my wife called the person that answered the phone just said "Hello" such that she wasn't sure if she had the right number. He was very nice after that, but when asked about closing time it was "6 or 7".

My FIL and SisterIL took my kids last night as my wife and I had plans. They said very friendly and the food definitely has potential, but it wasn't great. Some of it came out cold, carne guisada gravy was very thin, but flavors were there. 

Curious if anybody else has been. I'll post an update when I try it out.

I drove by on the way home from the office around noon today, it was a ghost town.  Turns out they're closed on Mondays.  We'll check it out soon.  My hope is that we'll have something to rival Eldorado but closer.  I would certainly hope that it's better than Azul Tequila, which has never seemed to match the quality of the original south location and yet somehow still smells like mop water, as did every other restaurant in that spot.

Edited by jimmyjazz

49 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm spoiled. I live off North Lamar and Rundberg. I have more taco trailers within walking distance than I can shake a stick at. 

Be prepared to show a passport when the Federales show up in that area.  It reminds me of what things looked like back when we used to go across the border to Nuevo Laredo as gringo tourists.  Chiclets? Shine your boots? Maybe later?  You really need it.

3 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Be prepared to show a passport when the Federales show up in that area.  It reminds me of what things looked like back when we used to go across the border to Nuevo Laredo as gringo tourists.  Chiclets? Shine your boots? Maybe later?  You really need it.

I can't count the number of times I've been asked if I was a Federal agent. Haha. 

It's actually a decent little neighborhood. Lots of good, cheap food options and the shop owners love me. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Deej said:

I can't count the number of times I've been asked if I was a Federal agent. Haha. 

It's actually a decent little neighborhood. Lots of good, cheap food options and the shop owners love me. 

That area has the best ethnic food scene of anywhere in Austin and it isn't close. It's much more like Dallas or Houston when it comes to great ethnic food options. 

Also it can be ghetto as fuck, so, you know, YMMV. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/24/2023 at 2:29 PM, jimmyjazz said:

My hope is that we'll have something to rival Eldorado but closer. 

You do, it’s Y Mas down the road.  But it ain’t at Que Divino, at least not yet.  It’s to be expected at a new restaurant but they had A LOT of kinks to work out when we were there.  Some of the food items were very good, others were a heavy, greasy mess.  

The poster above who mentioned “potential” is exactly correct.  Maybe after some time it will be where it needs to but I won’t be going back for at least several weeks. 

On 7/27/2023 at 6:55 PM, Deej said:

I'm spoiled. I live off North Lamar and Rundberg. I have more taco trailers within walking distance than I can shake a stick at. 

Used to be our go-to shopping area when we lived in Windsor Hills 1971-76. 
Westbound Rundberg ended at Lamar by the Safeway on the southwest corner of the intersection.

5 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

You do, it’s Y Mas down the road.  

I'm not sure how to make this any more clear.  The new joint is 3 miles from our house, through neighborhood streets.  EyM is another 2.8 miles way, across Mopac and east on Anderson Lane.

Is it a horrible drive?  No.  Would it be great to have an alternative in the neighborhood?  Yes. 

I'm well aware of EyM, we eat there quite often.  Any other hot tips?

Edited by jimmyjazz

I played Mo Willy the other day and had a hankering for some good tacos. Found a place called Taco Mex off Manor Rd. Place was next to a gas station and looked really shitty. Exactly what i was looking for. I went inside and it smelled really good. Mexican ladies in the back cooking it up. I got some potato egg and cheese tacos. Homemade tortillas. Fantastic stuff, will go again.

• Drool 1

I guess it's not TexMex, but apparently there's a "Daygos San Diego Taco Shop" at Oskar Blues brewery on Metric north of Rutland.  They appear to be very proud of their food.  An order of loaded fries is $20.  Chips and salsa is $7.  Nachos are $20.  Burritos range from $17-$20, tacos and quesadillas are $16.

WTF?

• Rage+1 2

On 7/31/2023 at 10:12 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I guess it's not TexMex, but apparently there's a "Daygos San Diego Taco Shop" at Oskar Blues brewery on Metric north of Rutland.  They appear to be very proud of their food.  An order of loaded fries is $20.  Chips and salsa is $7.  Nachos are $20.  Burritos range from $17-$20, tacos and quesadillas are $16.

WTF?

gringofied 

On 7/30/2019 at 6:24 PM, Armybrat said:

Always sad to see an old family bidness close.

Recuerdos in downtown Round Rock is solid. Small place, but has odd hours. Check their website.

Santiago’s on 620 west of Round Rock - strip center by the DQ - has become our go-to place. A schooner house ‘rita (frozen) with the Nachos Compuestos is damn good, as is their table salsa.

Finally made it back here after a few years. Very solid texmex food. Great service. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/12/2023 at 10:13 AM, CooterBrown said:

Not wrong.

7aea4ec9a28c180de856adbf30fbf102.jpg

lol after spending 3 months in Austin earlier this year, then driving down to Houston for a month to spend time with the family. Houston tacos and texmex is superior to anything in Austin and its not even close

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

lol after spending 3 months in Austin earlier this year, then driving down to Houston for a month to spend time with the family. Houston tacos and texmex is superior to anything in Austin and its not even close

Stop. You will upset some folks.

And Ztejas, I haven’t had a chance to check out the restaurant you recommended, but I haven’t forgotten about it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

This is 100% true. Dallas has better Tex-Amex than Austin.
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2023 at 1:02 PM, Hate said:

This is 100% true. Dallas has better Tex-Amex than Austin.

Dallas has great Mexican and tacos. In terms of true tex-mex it doesn't hold a candle to Austin. 

On 9/27/2023 at 12:16 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Stop. You will upset some folks.

And Ztejas, I haven’t had a chance to check out the restaurant you recommended, but I haven’t forgotten about it.

If you think you have a window to make it happen let me know. I'd happily join you and pick up the tab. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's easy to eat and drink tex-mex like Armybrat when you're literally going to live forever.  Lucky bastard.  

I know this is sacrilege to say but I don't miss margaritas but a cold beer with a heaping plate of fajita tacos with all the fixins.  Oh man.  

A business associate in town asked me to meet at Chuy's on Friday.  Not the best tex-mex obviously, but if you know the 4-5 items they do really well there, you can be very happy.  And I was about the pull the trigger and go until I had to remind both our dumbasses about ACL.  No way in the world was I gonna fight that much traffic for chuy's.  He tried to save face and suggest we go to the one up on 183.  Again, "That's gonna be a no from me dog."  Tried Vaquero's instead.  I wanna like that place because it's close by and locally owned.  But it fucking blows.  Gotta admit, another nearby joint that is a solid pick every time is Las Palomas.  Trouble is it can be hard as hell to get a table most days, and it's a little too pricey for its own good.  

31 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

It's easy to eat and drink tex-mex like Armybrat when you're literally going to live forever.  Lucky bastard.  

I know this is sacrilege to say but I don't miss margaritas but a cold beer with a heaping plate of fajita tacos with all the fixins.  Oh man.  

A business associate in town asked me to meet at Chuy's on Friday.  Not the best tex-mex obviously, but if you know the 4-5 items they do really well there, you can be very happy.  And I was about the pull the trigger and go until I had to remind both our dumbasses about ACL.  No way in the world was I gonna fight that much traffic for chuy's.  He tried to save face and suggest we go to the one up on 183.  Again, "That's gonna be a no from me dog."  Tried Vaquero's instead.  I wanna like that place because it's close by and locally owned.  But it fucking blows.  Gotta admit, another nearby joint that is a solid pick every time is Las Palomas.  Trouble is it can be hard as hell to get a table most days, and it's a little too pricey for its own good.  

Las Palomas makes good food but it's very safe, white texmex. 

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Joe's Bakery is the place that errybody on this site should be going to whenever they get the chance.

P.S. Texas Chili Parlor, Juan in a Million, Amaya's Taco Village, and maybe others are also acceptable choices.  Ain't nobody gots time for chain Tex-Mex!

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/15/2023 at 7:58 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I like Las Palomas.  Then again, I'm a safe white guy.

The bizarre combination of slightly interior Mexican food + jazz trios on the weekend gruntles me.  It's like the Chez Zee of Westlake, plus cumin.

Like I said... they make good food. Just not what someone wanting classic TexMex would be looking for. 

Also - last time I picked up from their the hostess was irritatingly attractive. Guessing that's a trend with their front of house. 

On 10/15/2023 at 8:01 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Joe's Bakery is the place that errybody on this site should be going to whenever they get the chance.

P.S. Texas Chili Parlor, Juan in a Million, Amaya's Taco Village, and maybe others are also acceptable choices.  Ain't nobody gots time for chain Tex-Mex!

Amayas fucks.

• Hook 'Em 1