Tex Mex

blacklab

21 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Pflugerville would definitely be in my top 20 places in Texas to NOT eat Mexican. Despite the likelihood there are more Mexicans there than in Austin. Just sayin.

8 minutes ago, Hate said:

Pretty much the entire Metro Austin area would make that list. It’s mind bottling that a big city so close to San Antonio can have worse Tex-mex than little towns like Burnet and Kingsland. It’s embarrassing really.

So edgy. 

• Haha 1

Julie's Cocina in Cottonwood Shores is very good gringo Tex Mex. El Rancho in Burnet and Alfredos in Kingsland are legit!

Dude just read my mind!!! The carne guisada at Alfredo’s is top notch! El Rancho in Burnet has some damn fine salsa.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Please, tell me the amazing Tex Mex joints in Austin.

I don't need to because I'm not insecure about living here. You're like someone in Brooklyn constantly reminding people that live in Queens how shitty their pizza is. No one gives a fuck. Also I've never seen anyone on this board argue Austin texmex over San Antonio or even Houston.

20 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Please, tell me the amazing Tex Mex joints in Austin.

If you have such a low opinion of "Tex-Mex in Austin"  then why the fuck are you lurking around the "Tex-Mex in Austin" thread?  Seriously, are you stupid or just an asshole?

Normally I like your posts but this is a blind spot for you.  Just stay off the thread if you don't have anything more to contribute.

I don't need to because I'm not insecure about living here. You're like someone in Brooklyn constantly reminding people that live in Queens how shitty their pizza is. No one gives a fuck. Also I've never seen anyone on this board argue Austin texmex over San Antonio or even Houston.

Goddamn man, how do you even survive day to day with such a smooth brain? Austin had several excellent Tex Mex spots. Enchiladas y Mas, Maria’s, Juan in a million. Stop being a dipshit.

If you have such a low opinion of "Tex-Mex in Austin"  then why the fuck are you lurking around the "Tex-Mex in Austin" thread?  Seriously, are you stupid or just an asshole?
Normally I like your posts but this is a blind spot for you.  Just stay off the thread if you don't have anything more to contribute.

First, thank you for enjoying my posts on a texas football forum. But it is known that austin Tex Mex is a lacking space. Bbq, nope. Burgers, nope. But austin Tex Mex is few and far between. It is known. People recommend Maudie’s, the most middling of places. Don’t be offended by my opinions. It’s an opinion. If you like a spot, go eat there. But my OPINION is when I eat these places they don’t hold a candle to places I such abhorrent places such as Houston. It’s not personal.

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Tell me the absolute best Tex Mex spot in Austin and I will go there next week.

Check out Las Lomas. Get the Las Lomas dinner. 

Can we end our spat? I'm tired of being a dickhead online. Working on being nicer. Not sure when we got our wires crossed but I'm sure you're a good guy. 

That said I don't understand your obsession with bagging on austin tex mex. There's still good stuff out there. You do have to sift through a bit of shit to find it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Check out Las Lomas. Get the Las Lomas dinner. 
Can we end our spat? I'm tired of being a dickhead online. Working on being nicer. Not sure when we got our wires crossed but I'm sure you're a good guy. 
That said I don't understand your obsession with bagging on austin tex mex. There's still good stuff out there. You do have to sift through a bit of shit to find it. 

Ok pendejo. I’m going to try and make it there next week.

25 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

First, thank you for enjoying my posts on a texas football forum. But it is known that austin Tex Mex is a lacking space. Bbq, nope. Burgers, nope. But austin Tex Mex is few and far between. It is known. People recommend Maudie’s, the most middling of places. Don’t be offended by my opinions. It’s an opinion. If you like a spot, go eat there. But my OPINION is when I eat these places they don’t hold a candle to places I such abhorrent places such as Houston. It’s not personal.

We get it.  Even the cows get it.  Every living creature on earth gets your opinion on this matter.

What you do here, is called thread-shitting.  If you're cool with that, fine.

• Haha 1

We get it.  Even the cows get it.  Every living creature on earth gets your opinion on this matter.
What you do here, is called thread-shitting.  If you're cool with that, fine.

That’s fine because it’s your opinion. There are several joints in Austin I thoroughly enjoy, but they are few and far between. I’m willing to risk a heartache and try both your and zfeja’s suggestions to change Emmy mind that Austin’s Tex Mex is just middling. Give me a suggestion and I will check it out. I have an open mind and open mouth when it comes to food.

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That’s fine because it’s your opinion. There are several joints in Austin I thoroughly enjoy, but they are few and far between. I’m willing to risk a heartache and try both your and zfeja’s suggestions to change Emmy mind that Austin’s Tex Mex is just middling. Give me a suggestion and I will check it out. I have an open mind and open mouth when it comes to food.

There's an entire thread of discussion and suggestions here.  Take them or leave them.  I don't care at all if you like Austin Tex-Mex or not, but if all you're here to do is thread-shit, then you're not adding anything.  It's the complete opposite of what you do for the BBQ threads, which is weird and it indicates either you have some personal ax to grind about Austin Tex-Mex, or Austinites in general who dare to enjoy the food that the city has to offer, which is also weird.

Anyway my favorite enchilada combo in Austin is the Comida Regular at Enchiladas Y Mas.  With onions, of course.

Edited by utee94

There's an entire thread of discussion and suggestions here.  Take them or leave them.  I don't care at all if you like Austin Tex-Mex or not, but if all you're here to do is thread-shit, then you're not adding anything.  It's the complete opposite of what you do for the BBQ threads, which is weird and it indicates either you have some personal ax to grind about Austin Tex-Mex, or Austinites in general who dare to enjoy the food that the city has to offer, which is also weird.
Anyway my favorite enchilada combo in Austin is the Comida Regular at Enchiladas Y Mas.  With onions, of course.

That’s a weird take. I don’t t play favorites. I actually really like austin. Sure, I like austin of the 90s. But everyone prefers “their” Austin. I’m glad I don’t have to eat two Tex Mex lunches in one day as EyM is a personal favorite of mine. I’m not thread shitting. Just calling it as I see it. Just like the bbq thread. See my opinion on Pinkerton’s and Roegel’s.

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Food shouldn’t be adversarial. It’s supposed to bring people together. Assuming nothing comes up, I will go check it out. I set a reminder for the night before. This means I am likely forgoing my usual photography outing, which means a lot to me.

dc174f93fc7699054f8c0d1af0ca2ace.jpg

Alright man. I just hope they're on their A game if you come through. 

My mom and I dig that place. Not sure it's somewhere I'd be adventurous with the menu but the standards I think they do very well. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

Alright man. I just hope they're on their A game if you come through. 
My mom and I dig that place. Not sure it's somewhere I'd be adventurous with the menu but the standards I think they do very well. 

Good enough for me. I’m the kind of dude that doesn’t deviate. I find a plate or two at a restaurant and that is what I get every fucking time. But again, the is shit is subjective, an opinion. So if I think another place does it better, that doesn’t mean fuck all to you or your mom. It’s just an opinion. I feel like folks have forgotten what options mean.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Good enough for me. I’m the kind of dude that doesn’t deviate. I find a plate or two at a restaurant and that is what I get every fucking time. But again, the is shit is subjective, an opinion. So if I think another place does it better, that doesn’t mean fuck all to you or your mom. It’s just an opinion. I feel like folks have forgotten what options mean.

I would hope that you aren't predisposed to not liking it because I recommended it. That's all I'd add.

Opinions are great. I have a lot of opinions that irritate people. Overall, the food options in Austin still aren't great versus some other big cities. It's sure as shit gotten better, though. I just roll my eyes when folks suggest that there isn't good texmex to be had. There's a half a million Mexican Americans here. They didn't forget how to cook. Just try and avoid the, um, whiter (whitest?) parts of Austin. 

I would hope that you aren't predisposed to not liking it because I recommended it. That's all I'd add.
Opinions are great. I have a lot of opinions that irritate people. Overall, the food options in Austin still aren't great versus some other big cities. It's sure as shit gotten better, though. I just roll my eyes when folks suggest that there isn't good texmex to be had. There's a half a million Mexican Americans here. They didn't forget how to cook. Just try and avoid the, um, whiter (whitest?) parts of Austin. 

Nope. Unless you are a total fascist dickhead like Johnny Sack, Ana or Immortal. I go with an open kind an open stomach.

Regarding whitest…it’s not necessarily that. I moved in DC I. 2000-2002. Next to the studio where I worked was a salvadoreño restaurant that served some Tex Mex dishes. They did so because that is what is popular herein the US. But it was awful. It wasn’t about how white DC IS. Anyways, I’m going to try it with an open mind. Even if it falls short of my expectations, that should t mean anything to you.

My current go to in Austin is Casa Garcias on Wm Cannon, but mainly because my wife loves their soup.  If I’m up for a drive I’ll go down to the original Texican on Manchaca. And there’s never a wait at Santa Rita.  I don’t think either of these places are as good as joints in San Antonio or Houston (or El Paso or Santa Fe for Sw Amex) but they’re pretty damn good. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ftf82 said:

My current go to in Austin is Casa Garcias on Wm Cannon, but mainly because my wife loves their soup.  If I’m up for a drive I’ll go down to the original Texican on Manchaca. And there’s never a wait at Santa Rita.  I don’t think either of these places are as good as joints in San Antonio or Houston (or El Paso or Santa Fe for Sw Amex) but they’re pretty damn good. 

You should also go to Las Lomas. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Pflugerville would definitely be in my top 20 places in Texas to NOT eat Mexican. Despite the likelihood there are more Mexicans there than in Austin. Just sayin.

Wasn't my choice, at all.  My father-in-law died Monday, and he lived up there.  My wife and I spent the week going through all his shit with her 5 siblings, one of whom is a Baptist minister in that quaint little burg and who has very pedestrian taste in pretty much everything.  He picked it and nobody was up for an argument.

Man, I didn't even think I was striking a match, much less starting a conflagration.  Apparently, that baseball game made everybody really pissy.  (Me too.)

• Like 1

Chorizo quesadilla from some fucking trailer down the street from where I just moved into. $10.

20230528_003831.thumb.jpg.0e1ceb36409d150ef00efb36160d3ee3.jpg

Such a shame this city doesn't have any good or readily available Mexican food. I think I'm going to take a road trip to Lexington, Kentucky. I bet their texmex is fucking awesome. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Chorizo quesadilla from some fucking trailer down the street from where I just moved into. $10.

20230528_003831.thumb.jpg.0e1ceb36409d150ef00efb36160d3ee3.jpg

Such a shame this city doesn't have any good or readily available Mexican food. I think I'm going to take a road trip to Lexington, Kentucky. I bet their texmex is fucking awesome. 

😭😭😂😂😂😂

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 9:24 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Goddamn man, how do you even survive day to day with such a smooth brain? Austin had several excellent Tex Mex spots. Enchiladas y Mas, Maria’s, Juan in a million. Stop being a dipshit.

Son brought me some Enchiladas y Mas carryout this afternoon.

Not bad, but not Dart Bowl good.

1FDEA903-4057-401C-8323-4B7C107BAA9C.jpeg

That's a bad day at EyM.  They're consistently the best in town for that style of chili gravy over cheese enchiladas.  Yours looks like some sort of cheese overdose on an enchilada dinner, which might be tasty, but doesn't look typical.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Dart Bowl was great but EyM was always even better.

Still, RIP Dart Bowl metal plate enchiladas.

Blame it on the “togo”

Love Dart bowl but EyM is better, and add the fajita meat on top of cheese enchiladas to take to 11

*Covid made EyM stop serving the best breakfast taco in town. It’s a damn travesty. We lost an Austin treasure 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Rage+1 1

• 5 weeks later...

We had a hankering for EyM last night, but of course they're closed, so we ordered Maudie's.

Nobody will believe this, but the red salsa that came with our order was absolutely fantastic.  I don't remember their salsa being anything to write home about, but this stuff was terrific.

I've always liked Maudi's saulsa, but it can definitely carry some lasting garlic. Maudie's may not be the best, but they do some things really well. Pete's breakfast taco and fajito taco plate are outstanding and Maggie's Plate is the perfect lunch.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, bluto said:

Habanero’s on oltorf still kicking? That was go to spot, gringos were the minority every time I went so that has to count for something. 

Still there.  Same menu, same staff.  Pricing is higher and they now accept cards but as good as ever.

On 7/18/2023 at 7:03 PM, ztejas said:

I'm here right now. 

20230718_190128.thumb.jpg.60cf793ea27c761abd535d9982a30aea.jpg

I have to say - the cheese enchiladas were good, not great. The crispy beef Taco and guac salad was outstanding tonight. Good, hot salsa. No complaints on the rice and beans.

We'll go 7.5/10

Did you bring a coat?