tceh postgame reaction & presser

Hagbard Celine

Just now, Skipper said:

We almost fucked this up ourselves but without god awful officiating it never gets close.    They should have been 1st and 40 on the drive that cut it to 10 if they call obvious holds.

agreed.  some day we will be good enough to overcome the bias and shitty-ness but we aren't right now. we just need the game called fairly.

4 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

None of those guys play offense.  You can do something to drive the ball and eat clock when your offense has the ball instead of going 3 and out.  The defense was bad for sure, but it takes help from the offense to almost blow a 3 score lead in a quarter. 

The offense only had 1 bad drive. We gave up an onsides kick and two free shots downfield on fourth down in the fourth quarter. The onsides kick was given up by.. you guessed it.. one of our defensive liabilites in Locke.

41 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

turnovers count.  they are plays made by the defense the same as a receiver catching a ball and breaking a tackle is making a play.  they aren't fucking flukes. 

No shit, not a coincidence that OU's D basically never gets TO's and the one they got today probably saved them.  

10 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

None of those guys play offense.  You can do something to drive the ball and eat clock when your offense has the ball instead of going 3 and out.  The defense was bad for sure, but it takes help from the offense  and an onside kick bounced of PJ Locke's face mask to almost blow a 3 score lead in a quarter. 

amended. 

Edited by TtomTerrific

46 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I don't know how we managed to win giving up 24 in the 4th quarter.  And 450 yards for a backup?

Elated for the win.  But without the turnovers we're toast.

I want to see someone in the presser ask some hard questions.

You don't get the chance very often.  Mondays are scripted.

You can't come heavy at home, win or lose.

You can't come heavy after a road loss.

Tonight, I want to see thermensa answer the hard questions.

Hey, we won. We’re 7-3. 

It could be worse. 

Atdc.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The offense only had 1 bad drive. We gave up an onsides kick and two free shots downfield on fourth down in the fourth quarter. The onsides kick was given up by.. you guessed it.. one of our defensive liabilites in Locke.

I get it but that one bad drive when you know your defense is decimated by injury contributed heavily to the comeback.  Maybe last year's game was still on Herman's mind, but the play calling on that one drive contributed to the comeback. And we have had multiple bad drives with the lead in the 4th quarter this season.  Now to be fair we have had some good drives after we have let teams come back against us, but it would be nice if we could stop letting teams back in games that we have dominated for 3 quarters. I'm just saying a collapse like that is a team effort and it has happened multiple times this season.  That is on the coaches.  They have to do a better job coaching the 4th.

Edited by chemHORN
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Trying to think who was the biggest douche of the game between Spencer Tillman, Potato Orlando, or the usual suspects (Zebras)....

turns out it was ALL of the above....

The guy who got a targeting called and reversed, a spearing (targeting) called and reversed, and an injury shot at the knees of a QB running out of bounds called and reversed.  Yeah, the zebras.  I think the game should be loosened up, it's football.  There should be the ability to make judgenment calls about intent so the game can be played in real time.  But these rules have been implemented and they aren't at all consistently called.   

So when a guy keeps playing with recklessness and intent the way the new rules are intended to reduce injury, something should come of it.  Dude led with his crown in each case.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Admittedly that was a fucked up onsides kick.  You get ready for some screwy bounce ball and the kicker boots a line drive at your face from 10 yds away.  Don't care who was standing there, that's a tough ask.   Now that we have seen it, it will probably be coached to try and drop down to let it go to a 2nd row guy, but not sure if you would be able to react fast enough from that close.  

1 hour ago, chemHORN said:

None of those guys play offense.  You can do something to drive the ball and eat clock when your offense has the ball instead of going 3 and out.  The defense was bad for sure, but it takes help from the offense to almost blow a 3 score lead in a quarter. 

That drive was infuriating, but the onside kick was the main culprit of the comeback, the defense was playing well up to that point, and momentum swung hard their way.

10 hours ago, Skipper said:

That catch was the most obvious review imaginable.  The officials should do their jobs.

Yeah, TT didn’t need to stop the clock for all the reviews they got, there was plenty of time for the review officials to realize they should look at that play. And how the hell did they take back the targeting on 6 when he clearly lowered his helmet and used it as a weapon. Hell the announcers were explaining the rule and it seemed to fit all the criteria.

edit: they didn’t take it back but reviewed it and it should have been called

Edited by SuckitKevin

7 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Tech had 89 yards in penalties and UT had 59.

I hope someone breaks down game film and shows how on every receiver screen TT ran there was holding by a receiver or when our db’s got by the block they were blocked in the back. Tech should have had 300 yds in penalties.

• Like 1

Giving #6 the benefit of the doubt 3 times was bad, the most egregious one was the spearing on Ingram which has been a penalty since the beginning of time.  Diving into a player crown first is literally the definition of the new targeting rule. 

FWIW, the one on wheeler was not targeting so they got it right, but it should have been a late hit on a sliding QB personal foul.  I'm pretty sure they briefly cut to Herman who was in an officials ear, most likely about them letting #6 go repeatedly.

• Like 2

The qb has some responsibility when sliding to give the defenders time to pull off. It looked to me like he slid after wheeler had already leaned forward into tackle mode and was committed to the tackle, couldn’t pull off if he wanted to. 

I assume the replay official decided the same. 

Especially with a running qb like him, defenders can’t assume a slide and have to be ready to tackle the ball carrier, otherwise they pull up early and risk the guy running right by. 

I still don’t understand how that would have been a dead ball foul. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Beck lost his hands for some reason last night.

Is it too much to ask for us to start the game well for once next week?

someone really needs to talk to the Big 12 about their review process in the booth.  they were reviewing spots in the first Q that were a half yard off and then in crucial moments late they didn't review important plays. just mind numbingly bad.

Ingram definitely doesn't look the same.  hip pointers suck.  I think that is why Watson has gotten so much run lately.

I'm moving towards not giving these running QB's the benefit of the doubt on these targeting calls when they slide late(includes Sam).  refs need to start marking the ball much shorter  on the slide.  you can't ask these Def players to target low and then get targeting when the QB slides late.

biggest play was probably the INT.

11 hours ago, Treefidy said:

The guy who got a targeting called and reversed, a spearing (targeting) called and reversed, and an injury shot at the knees of a QB running out of bounds called and reversed.  Yeah, the zebras.  I think the game should be loosened up, it's football.  There should be the ability to make judgenment calls about intent so the game can be played in real time.  But these rules have been implemented and they aren't at all consistently called.   

So when a guy keeps playing with recklessness and intent the way the new rules are intended to reduce injury, something should come of it.  Dude led with his crown in each case.

This. I went back and forth last night with I’m assuming a tech fan on this. The tech player was “Burfict-esque” in his play. 

LOL at people wondering if Herman will get 3 or 4 years. The guy is about to win 8 (possibly 9) games this year after winning 6 last year. He’s showing improvement and beat a highly ranked sooner team this year. He’s not going anywhere anytime soon. I agree that he definitely needs to work on in-game management issues (I would argue that he’s learned from some mistakes last year and is better about taking points in the form of field goals than he did last season) and the defense needs to get their shit together. The offense is leaps and bounds ahead of where they were last year, we have a competent kicking game. Give him a little time to pull it all together.

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

LOL at people wondering if Herman will get 3 or 4 years. The guy is about to win 8 (possibly 9) games this year after winning 6 last year. He’s showing improvement and beat a highly ranked sooner team this year. He’s not going anywhere anytime soon. I agree that he definitely needs to work on in-game management issues (I would argue that he’s learned from some mistakes last year and is better about taking points in the form of field goals than he did last season) and the defense needs to get their shit together. The offense is leaps and bounds ahead of where they were last year, we have a competent kicking game. Give him a little time to pull it all together.

The defense will get better with health and not playing Wheeler, McCulloch, and Roach at LB.

10 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

Perhaps true, but 89/59 is hardly indicative of the officiating crew "working hard for the home team".  Even considering Big 12 officiating incompetence, it's a fairly silly suggestion.

The discrepancy should’ve been much greater. I think they only called 1 hold on tech when they could’ve called 10. They also overturned a couple of penalties against Jeffers that should’ve held up

The first flag for targeting that got picked up wasn’t targeting. The one where he hit Ingram was dirty as fuck. Should have been tossed. The hit on sam going out of bounds was legal. I thought it was late watching live.

Wheeler had already dove at Duffy when he went into his slide. Something needs to be done about that from the qb side.

That guy didn’t catch the ball on the side. If Tech hurries there, it gets reviewed. Seems like that’s always the case. Smart call to go slower.

Davis had a heck of a game.

1 hour ago, pigmeat markham said:

Perhaps true, but 89/59 is hardly indicative of the officiating crew "working hard for the home team".  Even considering Big 12 officiating incompetence, it's a fairly silly suggestion.

its about non calls and booth reviews as well.

6 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

41JAPWTAGcL._SY300_.jpg

Remember where you are.

13 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Herman won 7 games last year

On 11/10/2018 at 11:27 PM, dcar00 said:

I agree with the fake injuries thing.  I don't want to waste TO's the damn conference is supposed to review questionable plays.  They did for Tech and WVU ALL DAMN GAME!  we shouldn't have to call a TO and then hope they overturn it.  the play was OBVIOUSLY reviewable.

The damn TV goes to a commercial, so its essentially a free time out. Don't know why we don't exploit this more. 

On 11/11/2018 at 1:46 PM, HtownHorn said:

The defense will get better with health and not playing Wheeler, McCulloch, and Roach at LB.

And Locke and Boyd at DB.

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Watching Texas overdrive last night. Foster had an INT on the pass before Tech's FG cut the lead to 34-20. That ball never hit the turf.

I could not believe that was not reviewed.

Then I remembered, Big XII refs.  It all makes sense.

15 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Agreed.  That's 2 straight games where I'm at an absolute loss to understand what does and doesn't get reviewed in this conference.  It makes zero sense.   We need to just go to a 'challenge' system like the NFL.

Yep. Would also help with the 4:30 hour game times. I would also do a running clock except the last 2 minutes of each half.