Ladies and Gentlemen.....THE ROLLING STONES!!

Delta Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

I'll just drop this here as a kind of compare and contrast thing.  A reminder of how far they've fallen:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they're anywhere near the band now that they were then.  They were at the height of their powers in the Beggars-Bleed-Sticky-Exile run.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have zero perspective on that kind of money, obviously, but I can imagine how one would think they're doing their kids a disservice by just dumping insane money on them.  I would think a few million bucks makes sense, but beyond that, you're just encouraging them to be unproductive.

His daughter helps him with a lot of the business end of the Stones. I'm sure she is well compensated.

18 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Gaga and Stevie on the new one.  Sounds fantastic.

Hell yes!  Dude sounds like he's in his prime!  80 more years of Mick and the Stones, please.

/no jinx

13 minutes ago, Deej said:

Damn. Mick's voice sounds like it did around Emotional Rescue. 

That track would fit in on the second half of Tattoo You.

I'm floored.  Among the best Stones songs of the last 40 years.  Possibly the best.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

That is better than a lot of the crap they've been putting out for the past 50 years.  Could do with less Lady Gaga, and they really do miss Charlie Watts and Mick Taylor.  Although Jagger's voice is unmistakable, there is nothing in this song that sounds like Keith Richards.  It sounds like something Jagger might have recorded solo during a Stones hiatus.  I'd give it a 6.5-7 out of 10. 

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Got damn that is a good fucking song

Yes, it is.  I like all kinds of Stones -- garage rock, R&B, country, soul, whatever.  It's just a better song than they've been putting out for years.  And Mick sounds FANTASTIC.  Maybe as good as he has for a very long time.

• Like 1

100%

The Stones are in my triumvirate of bands along with CCR and Social D that are my ride or dies, but I have not really been terribly moved by anything in quite a few years. This bad boy though is the truth. And Mick sounds excellent.

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, it is.  I like all kinds of Stones -- garage rock, R&B, country, soul, whatever.  It's just a better song than they've been putting out for years.  And Mick sounds FANTASTIC.  Maybe as good as he has for a very long time.

Agree.  I’m never experienced expected them to bring it like this at this point.  It’s so good

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happened to be on some XM channel and they were interviewing mick, and played sweet sounds of heaven.  So just wanted to echo the above that it is a really great song and mick sounds 40 years younger on it. I was flabbergasted.  Found a video of a live version they did for some show, and mick is also moving around quite spryly for an octogenarian. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Sticky Fingers on the HiFi right now.  We as a people didn't deserve the Rolling Stones.  But I'm sure we all got to live in the time of said Rolling Stones.

I tend to forget how damned special Wild Horses is.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

I've got Sticky Fingers on the HiFi right now.  We as a people didn't deserve the Rolling Stones.  But I'm sure we all got to live in the time of said Rolling Stones.

Pretty sure when we did the desert island thread on shaggy, sticky fingers was my album choice. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Pretty sure when we did the desert island thread on shaggy, sticky fingers was my album choice. 

Up until this moment, I've always placed it second to Let it Bleed.  But I'm so close to flipping those two.  So close for me.

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

The crazy thing about the Stones is how well their music ages

I just rolled into Exile.  Just tremendous from playing to production.  Everyting from 1968--1972 from them is next level by any standard of that time period or this one.  

I once said that if anyone released anything approaching Full Moon Fever today, it would blow people's minds. But even though it was tremendous, even in its time, there were a lot of good albums back then, and we were used to it.  Looking at it restrospectively, really makes me appreciate how good the overall level of music was in the 20th century.  

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/1/2023 at 8:54 PM, dcbc said:

Although I grew up with the Stones always around, the only album my old man had in CD format (his preferred format in my memory span) was Let It Bleed.  I knew and loved every note of that album, plus all the radio hits, but never actively started listening to the rest of the Stones' catalog until I was 18 and started moving past music being made FOR younger people.

"Wild Horses" blew me away on the first listen and has remained my favorite song of all time ever since.  I don't know I had avoided it in the first 18 years of my life, but whatever.  When my wife and I got married, she walked down the aisle to it.  It always moves me.

On 12/1/2023 at 10:01 PM, dcbc said:

I just rolled into Exile.  Just tremendous from playing to production.  Everyting from 1968--1972 from them is next level by any standard of that time period or this one.  

I once said that if anyone released anything approaching Full Moon Fever today, it would blow people's minds. But even though it was tremendous, even in its time, there were a lot of good albums back then, and we were used to it.  Looking at it restrospectively, really makes me appreciate how good the overall level of music was in the 20th century.  

What they did in that period is the absolute pinnacle of rock and roll, full stop.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

"Wild Horses" blew me away on the first listen and has remained my favorite song of all time ever since.

It's a fantastic song.  I also love the cover by The Sundays.  Harriet Wheeler's voice is perfect.

• Like 3