Hyde-Smith vs. Espy debate

Gil Bang

Sounds like these segregation academies were also in smaller towns where there might be one public high school.  Doesn’t matter if you live in the good or bad side of town, there is only one public high school.  In the civil rights era, their largest city was a whooping 140K.   
I grew up in a Texas county that only had one high school (private or public.). Closest private school about a hour drive away and a few parents sent their kids there.

Yep.

With the exception of Montgomery and Mobile. And even to this day, the wealthy sections of both of those cities are largely zoned for shitty public high schools because no one with any means - of any race - sends their kids to public schools in either place.

Montgomery and Mobile do have more of a variety in their private schools - religious etc. - and some of them were around prior to desegregation but the effect is the same.

My sorority was filled with girls from Montgomery and Mobile and I knew a bunch of their friends in other sororities and in fraternities.

I never met one person from either place that went to public school.

But most of the segregation academies are in places that have one public high school. So it wasn’t about having some good and bad public school options.

8 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Louisiana is the exact same way - there is the private school system for middle/ upper class white kids and the woefully underfunded public school system for black kids. And just like you pointed out, many, if not the majority of white students at LSU went through the private school system. It is enforcing the same racial caste system through more subtle means.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yep, we lived in Baton Rouge until I was in 6th grade (1977).  The parochial school I attended was K-8th grade (St. Aloysius hola!).  There were probably ~1000-1200 students total and, maybe, 5 black kids.  If we'd stayed in the area, I would've attended Catholilc High with, likely, similar demographics. 

If Republicans want to win they need to stop Uber drivers from parking outside Mental Institutions to pick up recent discharges and running them for Senate. How these idiot Repubs can get Democrats in Alabama and possibly in Mississippi elected is absolutely beyond the pale.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bellboy said:

If Republicans want to win they need to stop Uber drivers from parking outside Mental Institutions to pick up recent discharges and running them for Senate. How these idiot Repubs can get Democrats in Alabama and possibly in Mississippi elected is absolutely beyond the pale.

Hyde-Smith is going to win by 15.

15 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

From a few brief videos, I think it’s safe to say that Hyde-smith isn’t from the intellectual arm of the gop.  I can’t tell what she’s for other than 2nd amendment and lower taxes.   And supporting President trump.

Username checks out - very diplomatic answer.

She is a fucking moron. It is honestly astounding how stupid she is. I would lay money that there are chimps and gorillas with higher IQs. It would be funny if it wasn't so terrifying that she will win easily. It still is a little funny in a dark comedy sort of way. 

I think it turned out that those were anti lynching "remember the past, don't repeat it" etc etc.  Just, in fairness. 

I assume Hyde-Smith will still win comfortably.  It's remarkable that she's about to be elected into the upper house of the US legislature.  Not even because of her gaffes/dog whistles on race, but just for how absolutely JV she is.

29 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I think it turned out that those were anti lynching "remember the past, don't repeat it" etc etc.  Just, in fairness. 

I assume Hyde-Smith will still win comfortably.  It's remarkable that she's about to be elected into the upper house of the US legislature.  Not even because of her gaffes/dog whistles on race, but just for how absolutely JV she is.

Why remarkable?  Every state gets two senators. She is from a state that has made no appreciable population, economic, or educational gains in over a century. This is while Virginia, North Carolina, Texas, and Georgia are leaving the rest of the South in the dust, and even Alabama and Louisiana have taken some positive steps toward advancement. Florida still Floridas, but even their nonsense is infinitely better than Mississippi. Florida is dynamic economically when it wants to be.

28 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

What counties should we be watching? Jackson going to go big for Espy? God,. Mississippi is such a shithole.

Espy should get most of the counties along the Mississipi from Claiborne to Tunica with eastern inroads throughout the Delta. Also, as you can see by the NYTimes map, several counties along the Black Belt in Southern Miss. Beyond those, I'm watching Hinds (Jackson proper), Rankin & Madison (eastern Jackson suburbs), Lee (Tupelo), Adams (Natchez), and the college counties (Lafayette, Forrest, Lauderdale) that are home to Ole Miss, Southern Miss, and Miss State.

Edit: The coastal counties will all likely be pretty red. It'll be interesting to see how high turnout for Hinds-Smith will be there.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 1

She’s up by 12% with 29% of precincts reporting? Why are y’all still watching? The only question is whether she wins by 10 points or more. Come on. It’s Mississippi. The embodiment of Trumpland.
Except for the bleks. Precincts in, not votes. That said it looks like she wins.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

She’s up by 12% with 29% of precincts reporting? Why are y’all still watching? The only question is whether she wins by 10 points or more. Come on. It’s Mississippi. The embodiment of Trumpland.

Morbid curiosity.

So, when a woman who went to an anti-intigration school, wears Confederate clothes, proposes legislation to honor Confederates, and talks openly about public lynchings is elected to the Senate; can the GOP still claim, with a straight face, to be the "party of Lincoln"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

So, when a woman who went to an anti-intigration school, wears Confederate clothes, proposes legislation to honor Confederates, and talks openly about public lynchings is elected to the Senate; can the GOP still claim, with a straight face, to be the "party of Lincoln"?

It’s hardly like she’s the first GOP representative in Washington to openly embrace the confederacy.

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It’s hardly like she’s the first GOP representative in Washington to openly embrace the confederacy.

True, but most of them at least waited until they were elected to openly remove the hood.  She did it during the campaign and still won by a wide margin. 

Obviously this isn't something we didn't already know about the GOP, but I think wraps up the conversation with a big bow on top.

8 hours ago, woohorn said:

I haven't been keeping up, but why wasn't she "primaried" by some repub with a brain cell?

She always reminds me of Rachel Dratch

0.jpg

Because Nov 6 was a jungle election and top 2 went to a run-off. She beat the extra crazy before people knew how racist she was 

• Like 1