Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)

The Tower

12 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Welcome to being the new Kansas of the conference Tech.  Elite Lulz.

Total head scratcher.  He was close to being fired last year and his new OC Yost saved his ass this year.  Lots of other successful HC at lower levels that have more proven records than this guy.  I just don't get it.

In the immortal words of Townie:

94cd7fef4be0cf7e3808258de8cc0b6a--footba

Just now, Machinator said:

I don't know much about Wells, but Yost is a popular OC candidate at larger schools. I assume Wells would bring Yost with him to Tech?

That's the word on the street.  I'm pretty sure having a high scoring spread offense was one of the basic requirements for anyone Hocutt would interview.

8 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Total head scratcher.  He was close to being fired last year and his new OC Yost saved his ass this year.  Lots of other successful HC at lower levels that have more proven records than this guy.  I just don't get it.

In the immortal words of Townie:

94cd7fef4be0cf7e3808258de8cc0b6a--footba

Hard to believe this scrub is the best they could do. 

The Tech football program for a decade now has been a beating.  I wish i liked basketball more since Tech is now a basketball school.  Guess I am going to have to since Tech football will continue to move in reverse as it has done for 10 years now.  JFC what a letdown. I said it earlier they will find a way to fuck this up.  Way to go Kirby. 

12 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

I guess the mood of Tech fans now is I want to "Rock with You" whilst curled up in the fetal position.

My mood is that I appreciate finally seeing full 100% effort in completely And in totality; Tech Football destroying my fandom.  

This is a weakass hire. 

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Remember the Time this thread wasn't being ruined by Michael Jackson song references? I think of that time and mutter to myself that I Want You Back and that all this bullshit needs to go back In the Closet where it belongs, but I guess it's just Human Nature to run jokes into the ground.

The Michael Jackson song references didn't ruin the thread.

Wells being picked as the next Tech coach ruined the thread.

They Don't Care About Us.  Blame It on the Boogie.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Bad hire

like others have said, tech needs an offensive minded coach to keep tech relevant. No fucking way Wells succeeds in the big 12.... in lubbock... with Baylor on the upswing, osu being above average every year, and tcu having nowhere to go but up. 

About Baylor... hired a former linebacker who played college ball in the Big 10. Most thought his idea of progressive would be the forward pass. Turns out he hired Texas guys to recruit Texas players and to guide the offense and a decent DC with some pro experience. No reason Wells can't follow the same plan. It's all about a message and the right hires when you're the  HC. Most important will be giving Wells the budget to hire great coordinators and assistants and then give him some space and time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

About Baylor... hired a former linebacker who played college ball in the Big 10. Most thought his idea of progressive would be the forward pass. Turns out he hired Texas guys to recruit Texas players and to guide the offense and a decent DC with some pro experience. No reason Wells can't follow the same plan. It's all about a message and the right hires when you're the  HC. Most important will be giving Wells the budget to hire great coordinators and assistants and then give him some space and time.

The problem is there are 3 coaches with more Texas Tech ties than him and they all have proven to be better options than Matt Wells. ADs try and out smart themselves all the time when the answers are staring them right in the face. It's about the long term, and Matt Wells may end up succeeding, I have nothing against the guy, but if Hocutt wants to see an empty stadium next year then he is going to get it by hiring Wells.

Neal Brown, Seth Littrell, and Dana Holgorsen are all more qualified and all have coached at Tech previously. Not to mention Littrell would likely bring the golden boy Graham Harrell back home with him.

Edited by Texas25

1 minute ago, Dirk X West said:

We just fired a former Tech QB.  I'm not sure having Tech ties was as an important a factor in this job search as you seem to think.

it is if you are stupid and cling to a false history filled with "accomplishments" that no decent program gives a shit about

Just now, Dirk X West said:

We just fired a former Tech QB.  I'm not sure having Tech ties was as an important a factor in this job search as you seem to think.

Notice I mentioned guys that coached there, not played there. Not saying it is the end all be all but it does matter that most of the Tech fans watching a Matt Wells introductory press conference are going to be saying to themselves...

imgur

Just now, Texas25 said:

Notice I mentioned guys that coached there, not played there. Not saying it is the end all be all but it does matter that most of the Tech fans watching a Matt Wells introductory press conference are going to be saying to themselves...

Yeah, most Tech people are disappointed.  That doesn't mean he can't win in Lubbock.

16 minutes ago, Texas25 said:

The problem is there are 3 coaches with more Texas Tech ties than him and they all have proven to be better options than Matt Wells. ADs try and out smart themselves all the time when the answers are staring them right in the face. It's about the long term, and Matt Wells may end up succeeding, I have nothing against the guy, but if Hocutt wants to see an empty stadium next year then he is going to get it by hiring Wells.

Neal Brown, Seth Littrell, and Dana Holgorsen are all more qualified and all have coached at Tech previously. Not to mention Littrell would likely bring the golden boy Graham Harrell back home with him.

I'm not sure what Matt Rhules Texas ties were/are and I don't think it's all that important. That was a big part of the discussion surrounding his hire - the lack of Texas ties. Big money boosters know Texas and knew who he needed to target and they provided the funds to get those people and he went to work. 1-11 left the stadium pretty empty in Waco. I suspect they'll start to drift back in next year following a season with a bowl trip.

Fans will show up if the football isn't just shitty. Bandwagon fans are what they are.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I'm not sure what Matt Rhules Texas ties were/are and I don't think it's all that important. That was a big part of the discussion surrounding his hire - the lack of Texas ties. Big money boosters know Texas and knew who he needed to target and they provided the funds to get those people and he went to work. 1-11 left the stadium pretty empty in Waco. I suspect they'll start to drift back in next year following a season with a bowl trip.

Fans will show up if the football isn't just shitty. Bandwagon fans are what they are.

It's nice to see at least one person talking sense on this thread.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Remember the Time this thread wasn't being ruined by Michael Jackson song references? I think of that time and mutter to myself that I Want You Back and that all this bullshit needs to go back In the Closet where it belongs, but I guess it's just Human Nature to run jokes into the ground.

You Are Not Alone

• immamac changed the title to Kliff Kingsbury is out as Tech coach - Introducing Matt Wells! (Utah St.)