Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

3 hours ago, BamaATL said:

In temporarily occupied Simferopol, Russian soldiers beat their commander to death, Channel 24 (https://24tv.ua/ru/simferopole-skonchalsja-polkovnik-musurbekov-ego-pobili-rossijskie_n2428387) reports.
The incident occurred on November 1 near the railway station in the city. There, a group of Russian mobilized military personnel started a fight.
During the clash, they inflicted serious bodily injuries on the deputy regiment commander, Colonel Musurbekov. On November 7, the officer died because of injuries in the hospital.
The soldiers who beat him deserted from their unit. They changed into civilian clothes and fled from Crimea to the Krasnodar region of the Russian Federation.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I ran across an after -conflict study by the US military of tank encounters in the Korean War last night.   It was Russian supplied T– 34/85s versus Sherman M1A3 Easy 8s (and some Pershings with the 90 mm cannon).    This was five years post WWII, but using the same basic kit. 

The trusty Sherman had a 2-1 kill advantage over the vaunted T-34….and the Pershings had a 10-1 advantage.    The best they make has never been as good as our stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Thanks for posting, this guy is hilarious. His take on the modern (heh) T-14 is worth a watch too. I’ve never been more confident that Ukraine will push Russia out as long as US politics don’t outrageously rug pull them. 

Edited by B00M
And EU over promising / under delivering …
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Listened to a podcast recently about the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.  Nothing has changed with the Red Army.  They threw infantry into a meat grinder without pause, carpet bombed the country with artillery, killed hundreds of thousands of civilians without care, atrocities, soldiers fragging, etc.  Same with Chechnya.  It's in their DNA, they can never be allowed back in the global community without some catyclismic change within Russia.

What was interesting is how the war ended.  Gorbachev opened up the news to allow Soviets to read about what was actually happening. The mothers of those killed went apeshit vocally and the pressue internally became too much to continue.  The number of those killed?  15,000 over 8 years.

We are now at what, 10x that in Ukraine in 2? I understand Putin has locked down dissent, and he's the polar opposite of Gorbachev, but that kill rate cannot be sustainable for Russia without some serious internal blowback that affects this war continuing as is.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Mach 1 said:

Listened to a podcast recently about the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.  Nothing has changed with the Red Army.  They threw infantry into a meat grinder without pause, carpet bombed the country with artillery, killed hundreds of thousands of civilians without care, atrocities, soldiers fragging, etc.  Same with Chechnya.  It's in their DNA, they can never be allowed back in the global community without some catyclismic change within Russia.

What was interesting is how the war ended.  Gorbachev opened up the news to allow Soviets to read about what was actually happening. The mothers of those killed went apeshit vocally and the pressue internally became too much to continue.  The number of those killed?  15,000 over 8 years.

We are now at what, 10x that in Ukraine in 2? I understand Putin has locked down dissent, and he's the polar opposite of Gorbachev, but that kill rate cannot be sustainable for Russia without some serious internal blowback that affects this war continuing as is.

20x?

russia is effectively a gigantic Hamas, brainwashing its youth to value death for its leaders which is made easier because life there sucks so badly that anyone mentally capable gets the fuck out. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Okay, that map that @MagicSoccerSpray posted, if true, that's a lot of individual beachheads and infantry.  I just assumed it was one or two landings and a few hundred people, but they are really expanding it and pushing out an air defense/artillery bubble of sorts to push the Russians back.

As far as the public knows it is just a few hundred Ukrainian infantry that Russia can’t push out. It’s extremely encouraging. “Surge” support this spring to get these bad mother fuckers F16s and anything else they need to cut off Crimea. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Not just NATO. We train people from all over the place. Randolph is a big training hub. A lot of them go to English school at Lackland to ensure they are ready. 

If they're learning English in Texas, one assumes they use a lot of "bad mocus," "boy howdy" and "Fuck Oklahoma" in their vernacular.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Recommend the podcast "About a Boy." It goes into depth about the life of Putin and the Russian psyche in general. In the historic consciousness of the Russian people, and the horrific experience of 27 million dying in WW2, this is nothing. Putin sees any number smaller than that as an acceptable cost to get the band back together. He believes at his core that the West is weak and will eventually get distracted and lose interest. Unfortunately he is probably right. We need to push hard and do it now.

Edited by Walser
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Crimean ports are a dangerous place for Russian vessels. 

H I Sutton is always a good read.  He's talked about those landing craft/ships are extremely important to the Russians for resupply purposes, as well as air defense purposes (apparently they literally park AD units within the ships and use them to protect some of the other ships in the area).  Again, Ukraine chipping away at strategic assets that Russia would need in the future as more happens in the area below Kherson and into Crimea proper.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

HI Sutton is good and not a conspiracy theorist. I’d remain in wait and see mode for official investigation results. 

The submersible launching vessel is pretty impressive. Maybe Russia had just lowered my expectations so far that anything remotely capable they produce surprises me…

http://www.hisutton.com/Yantar.html

Edited by B00M
  • Haha 1

There are numerous reasons to be a bit doubtful of the WaPo story and it doesn’t have to be a Russian info op.  It’s all a bit weird when the only people cited are anonymous and the only person they’re throwing under the bus is a dude who’s in prison already. It’s absolutely not a good look for Ukraine if there’s some individual score settling going on. 

Wait for Sweden or Denmark to say something, these are not nations known for playing political games when it comes to serious matters. If they think it was a Ukrainian op they will say so. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

News | Iceland Monitor | Wed 8 Nov 2023 | 18.08 GMT | Modified 10 Nov 2023 12.56

Icelandic member of Pussy Riot wanted

An arrest order has been issued in Russia for Lucy Shtein, a memember of the …
An arrest order has been issued in Russia for Lucy Shtein, a memember of the band Pussy Riot. Composite image/Instagram/AFP

A Russian court has issued an arrest warrant “in absentia” for Lucy Shtein, a member of the dissident group and band Pussy Riot. Shtein was granted Icelandic citizenship earlier this year.

The Russian District Court in the Basmanny region, ruled in the court that Shein must be held in custody for two months until she is extradited or returned to Russia, according to The Moscow Times.

The leader of Pussy Riot escaped Russia with the help of an Icelandic artist

Shein is charged with spreading false news about the Russian army and its activities in Ukraine. A spokesman for the court, who did not want to disclose his name, said that Shein was wanted internationally in an interview with the Russian media.

Can face 10 years imprisonment

Distribution of “false information” about the Russian military is punishable under Russian law and anyone guilty of this can face a 10-year prison sentence.

The group is best known for its protests against Vladimir Putin, the Russian president, in 2012, when the group disrupted a mass in the Moscow church with punk music and performing topless. Since the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the group has been a vocal critic of the Russian government.

Shtein and her girlfriend Maria Alekhina, the frontwoman of Pussy Riot, fled the country with the help of Icelandic artist Ragnar Kjartansson, but she fled the country disguised as a fast-food delivery person.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Here’s a question I have….I presume that they strip those bodies of usable gear: rifles, mags, grenades, optics, helmets, etc (shit’s in short supply, man). Is my assumption generally correct?

Well, I don't think those guys need it anymore, so yeah.

I'd like to think that items of a personal nature would be off limits, but its Russia, and it's not likely much of that gets home.  

• Hook 'Em 2