Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

3 hours ago, PTINS said:

Russia has admitted that some Ukrainian forces have set up positions in a village but claims they will soon be wiped out.

If the area is held it would mean a significant advance for Ukraine. Russia retreated from the right bank of the river a year ago.

Russia conceded on Wednesday that "small groups" of Ukrainian forces had set up positions in the village on the left bank.

So that means the Ukrainians have several hundreds or thousands in those areas?  Because if the Russians admit it, it's usually far worse/more than they are willing to admit to.

• Hook 'Em 4

I know we are deep into this but I’ll ask a maybe obvious question but one I’ve wondered. Is there anyway to tell what kind of missile or bomb it was besides the explosion blast? Also, I know when the camera is from above and a grenade drops, I get that’s a drone. But when it’s from above and then all of the sudden…BOOOM! From a different direction..The drone is sending coordinates to artillery or a missile system and then shooting from distance? When the view is from further away is that a drone too or a plane or system? I’m sure this is basic knowledge to most but I guess I’d be surprised if every aerial video was a drone besides a plane. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I know we are deep into this but I’ll ask a maybe obvious question but one I’ve wondered. Is there anyway to tell what kind of missile or bomb it was besides the explosion blast? Also, I know when the camera is from above and a grenade drops, I get that’s a drone. But when it’s from above and then all of the sudden…BOOOM! From a different direction..The drone is sending coordinates to artillery or a missile system and then shooting from distance? When the view is from further away is that a drone too or a plane or system? I’m sure this is basic knowledge to most but I guess I’d be surprised if every aerial video was a drone besides a plane. 

I think most, if not almost all aerial shots we get are from drones.  The air space is still highly contested and planes are pretty much at a premium for both sides at this point.  We gave the Ukrainians higher altitude drones that are surveillance several months ago, if not a year ago.  Pretty clearly the Ukrainians have learned to put them to good use.  It's also pretty clear that either the Russians can't detect these very well, or can't shoot them down (might be both).  The optics on them are pretty good.   

As to the munitions being used, most of the time when it's pretty standard fare this is largely disclosed.  It's the strikes well behind the lines that we typically don't find out for a while.  Sort of like when they hit the bridge with sea drones and they didn't disclose it, or when they have used Scalp or ATACMs.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Pescado_Rojo said:

JDAMS would suggest they've put a pretty big dent in Russian air defenses, right? 

I would tend to think so, because the jdams we gave them to my understanding only have a glide distance of 15km or so.  So if they are willing to get air that close, they must be confident that they aren't in danger of SAMS.  

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I admit that this thread is my main source for news on Ukraine.  That being said, I haven't heard much of anything about Russian drone/missile attacks on civilians and infrastructure.  Have they really slowed down, or are they pushed aside by the Israel/Hamas fighting?  If they have really slowed that much, I hope that Ukraine has enough AA assets and is preparing for a massive swarm attack on energy and road infrastructure and government buildings, along with the usual terrorist attacks on civilians.

"It's quiet out there.  Too quiet."

Yup, everyone is assuming they’re stockpiling in order to overwhelm Ukrainian air defenses and fuck their infrastructure (and their air defenses if they’re competent.. so 50/50) this winter. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, B00M said:

I think the point of these is to clear a path in the minefields… try to detonate as many as possible with an unmanned vehicle. Then sent another… and another…

Perhaps, and to your point, that have a shit load of mines to use.  They made so many of the TM-62 they likely have millions of them.  

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Perhaps, and to your point, that have a shit load of mines to use.  They made so many of the TM-62 they likely have millions of them.  

And if the ramming tank gets through the field or close to the Ukrainian lines, bonus. As poorly trained as Russian tank operators must be, yeeting their shitty tanks like kamikazi drones is probably their most effective use

Edited by B00M

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don't think we are seeing much drone footage of missile (HIMARS/M270) strikes because the ranges are really far, so you need a larger drone, but tube artillery strikes can be well within the range to catch on drone and that artillery generates large blast radius.

And I would toss in that we do see occasional HIMARS footage, but it's from pretty far away (probably a fixed wing drone), and the Ukrainians are very cagey about what they show of HIMARS operations.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Nivek said:

saw that in the theater...  always remember 

Me too.  But my dad made the mistake of bringing my grandmother along.  We made it about 15 minutes in and after enough f bombs dropped he got up and we walked out.  I had to wait until it came out on HBO to see the whole thing.  Sad Chad.  /csb.

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I fear those damn things more than water moccasins when kayaking.

There was one on town lake that would circle his territory just wishing a motherfucker would.

The small college I attended in Nebraska had on campus lakes with a pair swans, and was also a wet campus, so you really had to keep your head on a swivel walking home hammered. When it was time to move them to winter quarters, the ground crew would like up the work study kids like you were covering a kickoff and try to push them across campus into their heated shed and fenced in area. It usually took a few tries. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

I'm still confused about the basement thing. Is that footage taken by Russians of their own fuckup? 

Yes, based on the english translation accompanying the video, the RU is triaging the situation and trying to save who they can, while also questioning wtf happened, nothing super intelligle , but you can tell they are shell shocked and there are soldiers from different units, so they dont all know each other.  Thats what i could infer.

• Hook 'Em 3