Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

8 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

He has interesting points, is good, but damn his giggling annoys me. I still watch it.

Yep.  Thing that gets me about this video is the Russian social media influencers - Putin must feel a little concern if they are paying influencers to go after the opposition.  Everybody knows the votes have been counted.

Speaking of vidro

GFTsNshXYAA1Dc7?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Superhero said:

Every small country and terrorist organization is taking notes…

Was it in a Tom Clancy novel or elsewhere where the US wargamed a conflict with Iran. The general/admiral of the “aggressor group” completely whipped a carrier group using asymmetrical warfare - motorcycle couriers to communicate instead of radios, launching anti-ship missiles and waves after waves of small boats loaded with explosives.

This was before flying and naval drones were even a spark in someone’s imagination.

This is why I’m nervous about what’s going on in the ME. Narrow waterways without much room to maneuver, cheap anti-ship missiles, flying drones and naval drones, longish range artillery. It’s not IF a warship will be sunk, it’s WHEN 

Hopefully I’m just ignorant, but I hope the US armed forces are diversifying their weapons systems to not only combat conventional planes, tanks and missiles; but also against the smallest of targets because those are the ones that will fuck things up in a hurry if we’re not prepared. 

We won't have carrier battle groups that close to shore.   There would be no reason to have them near the Straight of Hormuz.  They'd be parked in the southern end of the Gulf of Oman with more than enough open sea to have good visibility, whether optical, satellite or other imagery.

• Hook 'Em 1

Russia condemns Ecuador over decision to hand Russian military hardware to US for Ukraine - RIA

Maybe we should deport the Russians and let the Ecuadorans stay.

MOSCOW, Feb 2 (Reuters) - Russia's foreign ministry on Friday condemned a decision by Ecuador to hand over Russian-made military hardware to the United States for use in Ukraine as a "reckless" breach of contract, the RIA news agency reported.
The Ecuadorean government said last month it would take up an offer from Washington to swap what it called "Ukrainian and Russian scrap metal" for advanced U.S. equipment worth $200 million.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-condemns-ecuador-over-decision-hand-russian-military-hardware-us-ukraine-2024-02-02/

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Russia condemns Ecuador over decision to hand Russian military hardware to US for Ukraine - RIA

Maybe we should deport the Russians and let the Ecuadorans stay.

MOSCOW, Feb 2 (Reuters) - Russia's foreign ministry on Friday condemned a decision by Ecuador to hand over Russian-made military hardware to the United States for use in Ukraine as a "reckless" breach of contract, the RIA news agency reported.
The Ecuadorean government said last month it would take up an offer from Washington to swap what it called "Ukrainian and Russian scrap metal" for advanced U.S. equipment worth $200 million.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-condemns-ecuador-over-decision-hand-russian-military-hardware-us-ukraine-2024-02-02/

Fuck those goddamned Russian savages. 
They can stuff their shitty contract up their bloody assholes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Ukraine informs U.S. about decision to fire top general.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/02/02/zaluzhny-zelensky-white-house/

The government of Ukraine has informed the White House that President Volodymyr Zelensky has decided to fire his top military commander, Gen. Valery Zaluzhny, in what would be the most consequential personnel shake-up of the war, said two people familiar with the discussion.

White House officials did not support or object to the high-stakes decision, but acknowledged it as the president’s sovereign choice, these people said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive conversation.

Zelensky has yet to issue a formal decree announcing the ouster of Zaluzhny, and it is uncertain when that might happen. The advance notice to Washington, which has not been previously reported, reflects the influential role of the United States as Ukraine’s most powerful military and political backer.

The early warning also provided the White House an opportunity to urge Zelensky to reconsider the pivotal decision — even though it decided against doing so.

The departure of Zaluzhny, one of the most popular figures in Ukrainian society, could affect troop morale and shake the confidence of Western donors as Ukraine’s military struggles to fend off advancing Russian forces. The two men have clashed over their divergent strategies for surmounting the battlefield setbacks as the war grinds into its third year.

But any move by the United States to challenge a decision by Zelensky, a popular figure in his own right, who has speculated privately that a new commander could rejuvenate Kyiv’s fortunes, could be seen as exercising undue influence.

“The perception of division at the top in Kyiv is not helpful for Ukraine, but the U.S. government should not get entangled in it,” said Steven Pifer, an Eastern Europe expert at Stanford University and a former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine.

“A president has the right to choose his cabinet as he sees fit. The decision should be squarely with Zelensky, as should the potential consequences,” added Alina Polyakova, president of the Center for European Policy Analysis.

Zelensky could choose to delay action on the decision indefinitely, but that appeared unlikely, said people familiar with his thinking.

Distrust between Zelensky and Zaluzhny has grown over the years, in part because the president suspected Zaluzhny of harboring political ambitions but also because of disagreements about key military matters, including the general’s request to mobilize about 500,000 new soldiers.

In tense Monday meeting, Zaluzhny argued that new recruits were needed to make gains on the battlefield in the face of Russia’s superior firepower and troop strength, said people familiar with the conversation. Ukraine also needed to prepare for personnel losses, which are expected to be comparable to last year’s, he said.

Zelensky pushed back on conscripting so many, in part because Ukraine lacks the money to pay them without significantly raising taxes for its citizens. Such aggressive conscription would also be politically unpopular.

“The president does not believe that this mass mobilization of men between the ages of 18 to 27 is desirable or warranted at this point,” said a person close to Zelensky.

During the meeting, Zelensky told Zaluzhny he was being dismissed, said a senior Ukrainian official.

On Monday, Zelensky’s spokesman, Serhiy Nykyforov, denied that the president had fired Zaluzhny, but he has not responded to requests for comment since then.

On Thursday, Zaluzhny published a column on CNN’s website in which he alleged that the Ukrainian government had failed to mobilize sufficient numbers of troops and called for an upgrade of the country’s high-tech warfare capabilities.

“We must acknowledge the significant advantage enjoyed by the enemy in mobilizing human resources and how that compares with the inability of state institutions in Ukraine to improve the manpower levels of our armed forces without the use of unpopular measures,” he wrote.

Finding a replacement for Zaluzhny remains a significant challenge.

One potential candidate is Ukraine’s head of military intelligence, Lt. Gen. Kyrylo Budanov. The 38-year-old has a background in special forces, not as an army commander. His appointment would potentially signal a move toward asymmetric tactics — such as drone strikes deep into Russian territory — in a war where the front lines have been largely static in the last year.

But it is unclear if he wants the position, said a person familiar with the matter. “He loves his job and may want to keep just blowing stuff up in Russia,” said the person.

Another option is Oleksandr Syrsky, the current ground forces commander. The 58-year-old was credited with leading the defense of Kyiv in the first month of the war and then orchestrating a successful counteroffensive in the northeastern Kharkiv region in the fall of 2022.

But among rank-and-file soldiers, Syrsky is especially disliked, considered by many to be a Soviet-style commander who kept forces under fire too long in the eastern city of Bakhmut when Ukraine should have withdrawn.

“He’s a Gen. Patton type character,” said the person close to Zelensky. “He doesn’t have a human resources gene in his body.”

Whoever replaces Zaluzhny, it may not end the public disputes between the general and the president, “and he will remain a popular figure in Ukraine,” said Angela Stent, a Russia expert and former U.S. intelligence official.

“It is unclear how it would affect Ukraine’s military performance,” she added. “That would depend on who succeeds him and how his successor is viewed by the rest of the military — and how effective his successor is on the battlefield.”

Edited by F250
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The need to draft more people into their military, particularly younger people.

Zaluzhny from his CNN opinion piece posted earlier.

"We must acknowledge the significant advantage enjoyed by the enemy in mobilizing human resources and how that compares with the inability of state institutions in Ukraine to improve the manpower levels of our armed forces without the use of unpopular measures."

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

Zaluzhny from his CNN opinion piece posted earlier.

"We must acknowledge the significant advantage enjoyed by the enemy in mobilizing human resources and how that compares with the inability of state institutions in Ukraine to improve the manpower levels of our armed forces without the use of unpopular measures."

Ukraine is stuck between a rock and a hard place (unlike Russia on this point).

Ukraine actually cares about its people.  It does not want to see them killed or seriously injured (whereas Russia couldn't give even .00001% of a fuck about its people).  AND, "victory" for Ukraine looks like a surviving, intact Ukrainian state, populated by the Ukrainian people.  Its young people are its seed-stock, which is extra-important for a country that was already facing demographic challenges.  Ukraine is understandably going to do everything it can to keep that generation intact, because they are the future of Ukraine and the key to a future population of Ukrainians.  Yet....ultimately, it may not have a choice.  Ukraine has only bad options in front of it.  It should pick the least bad one.  Surrender to Russia?  Worst option.  Keep fighting without adequate resources?  Second worst.  Keep fighting, with adequate manpower, but also losing valuable young Ukrainians?  Third worst.

The UK lost 6% of its entire adult male population in WWI, and that presented a demographic problem.  Countries in future wars are well aware of that, and will try to avoid it.  Unless they can't.  And Ukraine probably can't.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

She says the total cost for this kamikazi drone is 13600 UAH which is about $362 … I’d be so proud of her if I was her father. That poor family. 

Edited by B00M
  • Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

You're at war, specifically a war for your existence. You have to do things you don't want to by definition.

Don't get me wrong, I'm agreeing with you.  

It's just that what I'm seeing aligns with Brisket's post upthread.  The head General has said, "we need more bodies" and the head pol has said, "not gonna do that." 

So I'm not sure what the answer is here.  

12 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm agreeing with you.  

It's just that what I'm seeing aligns with Brisket's post upthread.  The head General has said, "we need more bodies" and the head pol has said, "not gonna do that." 

So I'm not sure what the answer is here.  

They are going to do what they’ve been doing - try and make their infantry as effective as possible, with armor, mobility, drones, etc.  NATO countries already do this.

The Ukrainians do have the advantage of having more troops in Ukraine and being on the defensive - look at Avdiivka - the Russians have been unable to take it after nearly two years, despite its proximity to Donetsk (just a few miles outside of the city) and Russia.  In fact, the ISW folks or one of the other OSINt map groups have mentioned that technically Russia controls less ground around there now than a few months ago, because with all of the Russian losses, if the Ukrainians chose to press things, they could take a lot of territory fast   It’s just that the territory in question is shitty for defense so they don’t contest it, even though satellite and drone photos show that the Russian presence is diminished.

Now combine that with Russian leadership not giving a shit about the meat, and having to wait on the election to ramp up mobilization again.

With that said, Ukraine has handicapped itself slightly - they don’t hide the fact that they are trying to preserve their youth and are aware of demographics, and they are trying to keep as many of their soldiers in the NATO training pipelines for as long as possible.  Russia is calling them up, giving them some clothes, letting them shoot a few magazines (or clips depending on if they are using the old stuff), and then considering them fit to live in a trench. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

it's one guy that keeps getting crowdsourced and coming back to get his teeth kicked in again. At this point it must be a fetish. 

Normally you have to pay good money for that kind of thing.

• Haha 2

Based on the lack of enclosures at that 3D printing farm, I’m guessing they’re using PLA+ for everything. I’d be concerned about the parts warping in the summer sun but I’m just now seeing that summer highs in most of Ukraine are like 80 F!  maybe one day Ukraine will be a western summer travel destination 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, wackawacka said:

I am mostly shocked that Russia hasn't imploded.

Russia is a lot like the old Volga’s and VAZes you still see.  First you laugh at the condition and shittiness and how old it is.  Then you are impressed that it actually came from the factory that way and that it runs at all.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Never underestimate a Russian's willingness to live in shit.

I guess if your typical living conditions are dog shit, effectively camping in the fucking arctic for months at a time is bearable 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Viper said:

NYT notes that Ukraine for Orban is a pawn in his long-term game, his main goal is to organize a populist and nationalist uprising against European liberal elites. This campaign appears to be failing.

That motivation makes sense.  It also suggests he's totally out of touch with the zeitgeist, and has been spending the last 3 years sniffing his own farts.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, B00M said:

Based on the lack of enclosures at that 3D printing farm, I’m guessing they’re using PLA+ for everything. I’d be concerned about the parts warping in the summer sun but I’m just now seeing that summer highs in most of Ukraine are like 80 F!  maybe one day Ukraine will be a western summer travel destination 

But watch out for all the unexploded ordnance.

Don’t forget, large areas of France are still classified as danger zones because of unexploded WW1 artillery shells.

• Hook 'Em 4