Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

5 hours ago, locodos said:

if the internet can be believed...

KA-52 after ATACMS

ka-52-meets-atacms-submunitions-v0-7gvbj

This may seem like a dumb question, but are those fragments/bomblets/whatever traveling at speeds similar to a rifle round? Just curious as to what kind of speed these pieces are traveling.

Thanks and I'll hang up and get back to my sandwich and Bud Light.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

This may seem like a dumb question, but are those fragments/bomblets/whatever traveling at speeds similar to a rifle round? Just curious as to what kind of speed these pieces are traveling.

Thanks and I'll hang up and get back to my sandwich and Bud Light.

I don't think that's a dumb question at all, I'm not sure of the answer.

ATACMS reported max speed is listed as being in excess of mach 3 or somewhere around 2200 mph.  However, I think that really has to do with it's launch, not reentry, which is glide (unless I have that wrong, I don't know).  It's listed ceiling launch height is 190,000 ft, where of course there is little to no air resistance, so even if there is no rocket assist going back down, just on gravity alone it will break the speed of sound on its way down.  Just a guess here, but even with just gravity, it would be supersonic until around 50,000 ft (that's a complete thumb in the air on my part).  The bomblet release seems to be done only by a small charge, combined with the glide velocity of glide portion of the rocket.  Thumb in the air, at least 200 mph, but likely higher, but certainly not at sonic velocity.  

Just a stab at a guess.  

4 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I don't think that's a dumb question at all, I'm not sure of the answer.

ATACMS reported max speed is listed as being in excess of mach 3 or somewhere around 2200 mph.  However, I think that really has to do with it's launch, not reentry, which is glide (unless I have that wrong, I don't know).  It's listed ceiling launch height is 190,000 ft, where of course there is little to no air resistance, so even if there is no rocket assist going back down, just on gravity alone it will break the speed of sound on its way down.  Just a guess here, but even with just gravity, it would be supersonic until around 50,000 ft (that's a complete thumb in the air on my part).  The bomblet release seems to be done only by a small charge, combined with the glide velocity of glide portion of the rocket.  Thumb in the air, at least 200 mph, but likely higher, but certainly not at sonic velocity.  

Just a stab at a guess.  

OK, thanks. But what if it's on a treadmill?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Such a stupid fucking brutal waste of human lives. I do wonder how this will be judged by Russians after the war is over (and hopefully lost by them). There's nothing "glorious" about it.

Part 1

From the first tweet that didn't embed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Donetsk offensive has cost around 20,000+ KIA/WIA on the Russian side since it kicked off. UA estimates are unlikely not inflated either. If anything, they are on the low end.

The photo was pulled off a released video...

Welcome to Andiivka, where the meat crams into holes on top of each other and line up in trenches to be slaughtered by the dozens.

I'd feel sorry in most cases, but it's a fully deserving end for those whose country has slaughtered civilians for almost 2 years through relentless bombings and destruction.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Such a stupid fucking brutal waste of human lives. I do wonder how this will be judged by Russians after the war is over (and hopefully lost by them). There's nothing "glorious" about it.

Part 1

seinfeld-sausages-1.gif?fit=303,224&ssl=

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

51 minutes ago, bolverk said:

They will fucking celebrate it, embrace it, and describe it as the 3rd greatest struggle in the history of the Russian people.

latest estimates are that the Soviet Union lost at least 27 million in WW2, internal Russian estimates think as much as 40M.  Only 1/4- 1/3 of those were military dealths...

and 25% of those overall losses were Ukrainians. 

Yet all you hear about WW2 from the Russian side is the heroic struggle of the motherland, how millions of soldiers sacrificed and saved the motherland from (real) facism.   Those losses are GLORIFIED, explained as a necessary loss to keep Russia free. 

in 10 years the loss of a million Russians in Ukraine will be just as reverred.  They will have saved Russia from the fascim of NATO. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Part 1

I’m so cynical that I suspect when a bunch of “Russian troops” lives are wasted, they’re not really Russians, but rather conscripts from Ukrainian areas held by Russia, or foreigners suckered into joining. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, statsman said:

I’m so cynical that I suspect when a bunch of “Russian troops” lives are wasted, they’re not really Russians, but rather conscripts from Ukrainian areas held by Russia, or foreigners suckered into joining. 

I could buy that, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, no doubt. Maybe I'm just in one of those moods this morning, but it's just shocking that it's seen as acceptable for a few square unstrategic kilometers.

It's odd - the wives/mothers of the Soviet soldiers that were dying in Afghanistan in the 1980s seem to have a lot more pull in eventually helping to end that conflict.

But then again, regardless of the impression that we had of Soviet leaders being the absolute power, there was a Politburo that could keep Soviet leaders in check.  Here in 2023, there is nobody to keep Putin in check. I know people are saying Putin won't mass-mobilize before next March's elections because he is worried about the impact, but he jails and poisons his biggest opponents, and it's a crime to openly discuss any negative aspects of the war in Ukraine.

This gets into how Putin has sidelined the mothers/widows, and those committees are keeping their heads down and working to help the soldiers and they avoid criticizing the war or Putin

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/blog-post/why-no-collective-action-russian-mothers

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's odd - the wives/mothers of the Soviet soldiers that were dying in Afghanistan in the 1980s seem to have a lot more pull in eventually helping to end that conflict.

But then again, regardless of the impression that we had of Soviet leaders being the absolute power, there was a Politburo that could keep Soviet leaders in check.  Here in 2023, there is nobody to keep Putin in check. I know people are saying Putin won't mass-mobilize before next March's elections because he is worried about the impact, but he jails and poisons his biggest opponents, and it's a crime to openly discuss any negative aspects of the war in Ukraine.

This gets into how Putin has sidelined the mothers/widows, and those committees are keeping their heads down and working to help the soldiers and they avoid criticizing the war or Putin

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/blog-post/why-no-collective-action-russian-mothers

That article was a good reminder of all the various forces keeping folks from protesting now, but I still do wonder about the future. I guess it boils down to whether Russia loses this war, because I have to think there will be some sort of reexamination or retribution for when/if that happens.

As you know well, wars that Russia loses tend to lead to revolutions.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

That article was a good reminder of all the various forces keeping folks from protesting now, but I still do wonder about the future. I guess it boils down to whether Russia loses this war, because I have to think there will be some sort of reexamination or retribution for when/if that happens.

The Committee of Soldier’s Mothers was one of the most respected NGOs in the late-stage Soviet Union and later early Russia.  It did good work for a long time.  Its repression by the Kremlin is another indicator that Putin views glasnost as fundamentally a mistake that led to the collapse of the Soviet Union and he is determined not to let it happen again. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

Which is why there may not be an offramp for Putin, at least in his mind.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

A couple ChrisO wiki thread readerapp links.

Tank guards soldiers put into Storm Z meat assualts:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1715414258257744334.html

Iran supplying Russia with drone detecting radars:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1715279799482982416.html

1 hour ago, Viper said:

The conclusion of the first thread posted by @Schulz2.0 together with @Viper's are "interesting," as they say.

"8/ It's significant that in both this case and in the previously reported episode involving men from the 12th Guards Tank Regiment, tank crewmen are apparently being used as expendable infantry in frontal assaults.
9/ Both episodes suggest that while Russia evidently has enough people to man its tank units, it may not have enough tanks to put them in. This may be a sign of the impact of its huge losses of equipment over the past 18 months. /end"
  • Hook 'Em 7

D9A2D59E-95A6-4CA1-92C0-E04FC0307083.thumb.jpeg.93e0398e69e9b2db806dd6a45c778d32.jpeg

it’s German and a little older but same idea 

btw the MB and Porsche museums in Stuttgart are amazing if you are a car person, and both take the time to at least give lip service to their roles in ww2, in what felt like the best light they felt like they could get away with. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

33 minutes ago, Chopper said:

The conclusion of the first thread posted by @Schulz2.0 together with @Viper's are "interesting," as they say.

"8/ It's significant that in both this case and in the previously reported episode involving men from the 12th Guards Tank Regiment, tank crewmen are apparently being used as expendable infantry in frontal assaults.
9/ Both episodes suggest that while Russia evidently has enough people to man its tank units, it may not have enough tanks to put them in. This may be a sign of the impact of its huge losses of equipment over the past 18 months. /end"

We’ve seen them pull in sailors from Russia’s Pacific forces that were then used as infantry.  One of the Russian officers (a tank officer no less) confirmed killed by Russian social media a month or two ago had been an enlisted sailor in the Black Sea fleet last year.

If Putin holds off on another mass mobilization until after his next “election” in March, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a lot more repurposing of Russian military personnel.  I’m surprised we don’t see battalions of infantry made up of Black Sea naval personnel.

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I for one at fucking impressed that Russia can keep 90 year old heavy trucks running. 

The trucks were designed to be maintained by semi-literate peasants, so…

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Iran supplying Russia with drone detecting radars:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1715279799482982416.html

I've had this tab opened for a couple days about how Iran may now begin supplying Russia with ballistic missiles, as well.

If Russia does receive Fateh-110 missiles, this will mean that the Russians will have the potential for strikes almost anywhere in Ukraine, with the exception of the southwestern regions. At the same time, the entire territory of Ukraine can be attacked with Zolfaghar missiles, which have a range of 700 kilometers.

The only effective way to neutralize a ballistic missile is to intercept it with the help of an anti-missile defense system. To counter such threats, Ukraine needs air defense systems similar to the US-based Patriot...

In the context of Iranian missiles, Russia is interested in the same thing as in the case of drones. Above all, their quantity, not quality, is important for them. Russia does not even attach much importance to the dubious accuracy of these missiles, as the issue of hitting civilians hasn’t seemed to concern the Russian military command.

• Rage+1 2