once upon a deadpool

henrygandorf

"Fox has been asking for a PG-13 basically since the start in 2006," Ryan Reynolds told Deadline. "I've said no since 2006. Now, this one time, I said 'Yes' on two conditions. First, a portion of the proceeds had to go to charity. Second, I wanted to kidnap Fred Savage. The second condition took some explaining..."Fred Savage will join Reynolds in new scenes for ONCE UPON A DEADPOOL in an homage to Savage's starring role in the 1987 bedtime-story classic THE PRINCESS BRIDE. Fred remarked, "while my participation in this film was anything but voluntary, I am happy to learn that Fudge Cancer will be the beneficiary of this shameless cash grab"

So, from doing some snooping online, this looks like the final part of a chain of events that actually starts with the Disney merger with Fox and of all things, Xmen: Dark Phoenix.

So, the rumors where Dark Phoenix was terrible, and it was consigned to a February release (aka the movie dumping season).  But the Chinese apparently went nuts for the trailer, so they pushed everyone back into reshoots and set it up for a big June release. At the same time, Alita: Battle Angel got moved into Dark Phoenix's slot in February, because it looks fucking awful and almost certainly is, and Fox was gonna get slaughtered during the Xmas release.

That meant Fox needed something for December.  House of Mouse probably moneywhipped Reynolds into a PG-13 version, plus a commitment to donate $1 of each ticket to charity. The shoots with Savage and Reynolds only took a day and the editing to PG-13 couldn't have taken long. Also, Disney hates R rated movies.

If a movie does well in February, it’s luck, not by design.  It happens, sometimes there’s a switch in execs, and the previous studio heads personal passion project gets winter dumped and turns out to be a gem, but it’s not a good sign when a movie is moved to January/February.  Alita has now been moved twice.  It’s garbage. 

3 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

If a movie does well in February, it’s luck, not by design.  It happens, sometimes there’s a switch in execs, and the previous studio heads personal passion project gets

winter dumped and turns out to be a gem, but it’s not a good sign when a movie is moved to January/February.  Alita has now been moved twice.  It’s garbage. 

It is known

On 12/3/2018 at 11:34 AM, TrashMaster G said:

Ryan Reynolds is solid gold.

Yes.

Also kudos to Fred Savage for participating.  He's pretty great himself.  He gets a lifetime pass for (A) Wonder Years and (B) Producing/directing Always Sunny. (In fact he directed several of the all-time classic episodes.)

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yes.

Also kudos to Fred Savage for participating.  He's pretty great himself.  He gets a lifetime pass for (A) Wonder Years and (B) Producing/directing Always Sunny. (In fact he directed several of the all-time classic episodes.)

he's very well respected as a tv director.

• Like 1