Todd Orlando should love the Georgia Matchup

sushihorn

Just now, Colt Appleyoung said:

It’s facinating to watch an entire fanbase lie to themselves.  Like a strange nature show you get stuck on at 2AM.

Hook Em!

You know, I was going to roast you, but your illiterate attempt to make fun of yourself Georgia while in the same breath mock Texas, is one of the shittiest troll attempts I've seen on this site.

Well done

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

1) Jimmys and Joes > X's and O's at the CFB level. Georgia is deeper and more talented than us at nearly every position. If Alabama's defense is struggling to contain D'Andre Swift, I can guarantee you that we will too regardless of scheme.

2) Fromm is one of the best QBs in CFB against the blitz. It doesn't really matter that he's not so mobile, we try our usual delayed blitzes and he'll pick us apart. And like Murray he'll have eons of time to throw the ball.

Actually it won't be anything like Murray.  We purposely did not rush him, right or wrong, that is a fact.  We are pressure the shit out of Fromm, there is no fear of him housing it if the blitz does not get to him.

Its not about being "deeper" its about scheme match, and execution.  There is not a huge talent gap in our starters, and our defensive skill players are probably as talented or more so than Georgia's offense skill players.  Further, our D will not be stressed anything near the likes that they are against OU, OSU, and WV.  I am not indicating that we are going to dominate the game defensively, but it is going to be significantly less of a stress test on our defense than what they faced week in and week out in our conference. 

This will be more like the Missouri game from a defensive perspective.  Now, our offense and special teams on the other hand are going to have to come ready play.

Edited by Fico
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chase25 said:

You know, I was going to roast you, but your illiterate attempt to make fun of yourself Georgia while in the same breath mock Texas, is one of the shittiest troll attempts I've seen on this site.

Well done

We like roasts in Georgia, especially brisket.  Gotta use sauce though , everyone knows a good bbq starts with the sauce.

cmon Chase we got a month to get to know each other, let’s leaving the roasting to the phillies, am I right?

back to football analysis - Chase you really think Texas is going to be able to win in the trenches ?  We fake FgS and Punts ffs, how is UGA conventional?

Edited by Colt Appleyoung
FG not GG
  • Fuck You 10

1 minute ago, Fico said:

Actually it won't be anything like Murray.  We purposely did not rush him, right or wrong, that is a fact.  We are pressure the shit out of Murray, there is no fear of him housing it if the blitz does not get to him.

Its not about being "deeper" its about scheme match, and execution.  There is not a huge talent gap in our starters, and our defensive skill players are probably as talented or more so than Georgia's offense skill players.  Further, our D will not be stressed anything near the likes that they are against OU, OSU, and WV.  I am not indicating that we are going to dominate the game defensively, but it is going to be significantly less of a stress test on our defense than what they faced week in and week out in our conference. 

Fico Fico oh nay, choc o mo fina an yan yea, fico fico oh nay,

Your d line is going to be so gassed after the first half that it’s going to be six to eight yards a carry, you simply don’t see that type of power in your league

• Fuck You 11

Just now, Colt Appleyoung said:

Your d line is going to be so gassed after the first half that it’s going to be six to eight yards a carry, you simply don’t see that type of power in your league

Pooooor aggy.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

35 minutes ago, satyanash said:

1) Jimmys and Joes > X's and O's at the CFB level. Georgia is deeper and more talented than us at nearly every position. If Alabama's defense is struggling to contain D'Andre Swift, I can guarantee you that we will too regardless of scheme.

2) Fromm is one of the best QBs in CFB against the blitz. It doesn't really matter that he's not so mobile, we try our usual delayed blitzes and he'll pick us apart. And like Murray he'll have eons of time to throw the ball.

They play very risk averse on both sides of the ball.  That helps to minimize any talent advantage.  That's especially true on defense.  They do a good job of limiting opponents' rushing gains.  They very rarely force loses, sacks and turnovers.

In many ways this is like the 2009 NC game.  Alabama had more talent than our Horns but really limited pass rush and conservative offensive scheme.  They showed zero ability to stop Colt despite multiple 1st rounders on that defense.  A healthy Sam gives Texas a significant schematic advantage over Georgia this year.

2 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

They play very risk averse on both sides of the ball.  That helps to minimize any talent advantage.  That's especially true on defense.  They do a good job of limiting opponents' rushing gains.  They very rarely force loses, sacks and turnovers.

In many ways this is like the 2009 NC game.  Alabama had more talent than our Horns but really limited pass rush and conservative offensive scheme.  They showed zero ability to stop Colt despite multiple 1st rounders on that defense.  A healthy Sam gives Texas a significant schematic advantage over Georgia this year.

Oh you did not just Charlie Weis this thing up. Things were going so well too. 

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

We should be playing everyone we think can help. Ojomo/Ossai etc. 

no redshirt burn risk. Put anyone in even purely situationally that can help for a play. 

New RS rules will make this an interesting game. 

I was probably asleep. What did they change?

43 minutes ago, Colt Appleyoung said:

back to football analysis - Chase you really think Texas is going to be able to win in the trenches ?  We fake FgS and Punts ffs, how is UGA conventional?

Don't have to win every down or even most of them.  Georgia relies on its power running game.  One TFL or penalty puts them behind the chains.  Texas does  good job of creating plays for loss.  And I watched Fromm in 3rd and long against Tenn, Auburn and LSU.  It wasn't pretty.  I also saw him against UK but UGa didn't see many 3rd downs in that game, much less 3rd and long.

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 1

Don't have to win every down or even most of them.  Georgia relies on its power running game.  One TFL or penalty puts them behind the chains.  And I watched Fromm in 3rd and long against Tenn, Auburn and LSU.  It wasn't pretty.  I also saw him against UK but UGa didn't see many 3rd downs in that game, much less 3rd and long.

They’re actually pretty balanced at 262/237 for the year. Those numbers suggest they don’t specifically rely on any one thing. Though playing UMass, Middle Tennessee State and Austin Peay. Along with some really bad teams like Tennessee, South Carolina and Tech all of which would skew the mean.

3 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

They’re actually pretty balanced at 262/237 for the year. Those numbers suggest they don’t specifically rely on any one thing. Though playing UMass, Middle Tennessee State and Austin Peay. Along with some really bad teams like Tennessee, South Carolina and Tech all of which would skew the mean.

I've got 537 rush attempts and 322 pass attempts for the season from the school website.

And from watching their games, I'd say their passing game isn't very good when the run is not a threat.  To me that makes them reliant on the run.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Heavy lifting for the front 6/7.  One big advantage is that Texas is much more disruptive on defense than Georgia.  #31 in TFLs and above average in sacks can help put an opponent behind the chains, while Jawja doesn't do well when forced into obvious passing downs.  Lots of sacks, incompletions and a fair number of penalties and turnovers under those circumstances.

UGa is one of the worst teams in FBS at TFLs and sacks.  They also aren't good at forcing turnovers.  That's atrocious considering the speed and athleticism they recruit.  That's a good thing for Texas considering the need to sustain drives.

They are roughly 50% overall on 3rd down conversions... but only about 40% on away or neutral fields.  I found that stat interesting. They also suck at 3rd and 4-6 yards.

17 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Colt, uh, only played like four snaps, was 1-2 passing for 6 yards or something, watched DJ Monroe take a sweep a long way and was knocked out of the game on hisnonly carry. 

Herman prefers personnel mismatches to scheme. Our two WR’s provide that to an extent, and Sam’s legs represent an X factor.  This would be a good game to liberally sprinkle in some of the pass and run concepts that make Bog XII offenses hard to defend. And I don’t mean our continuing fetish with toss plays and half back passes run from the near hash to the boundary. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Colt, uh, only played like four snaps, was 1-2 passing for 6 yards or something, watched DJ Monroe take a sweep a long way and was knocked out of the game on hisnonly carry. 

Herman prefers personnel mismatches to scheme. Our two WR’s provide that to an extent, and Sam’s legs represent an X factor.  This would be a good game to liberally sprinkle in some of the pass and run concepts that make Bog XII offenses hard to defend. And I don’t mean our continuing fetish with toss plays and half back passes run from the near hash to the boundary. 

I should have said QBs generally.  The Bama fans were delusional that they had a top tier pass rush.  Even with a green backup forced into the game, they didn't get their single sack until very late.  Texas had more sacks against a starting QB throwing off play action behind supposedly one of the best O Lines in the country.

One of my friends refers to the the Strip Club offense run by the typical SEC team.  They keep grinding on you hoping to pop one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

This would be a good game to incorporate a jet sweep or two with Jamison even if you simply use it as eye candy and motion him across to freeze the LBs. We need to use every wrinkle possible to get a push up front

32 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

I've got 537 rush attempts and 322 pass attempts for the season from the school website.

And from watching their games, I'd say their passing game isn't very good when the run is not a threat.  To me that makes them reliant on the run.

My numbers were season averages in yards over 12 games pulled from the Georgia site I googled? I have no idea of their accuracy. 

26 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Herman prefers personnel mismatches to scheme. Our two WR’s provide that to an extent, and Sam’s legs represent an X factor.  

I've noticed this as well.  While it's hard to argue with playing to your strengths, much of offense this year has been the "throw it to our future NFL receivers even when they're perfectly covered" play.  Basically Hero Ball.  That works great up until the point you no longer have transcendent talent on the outside.  See Davis, Greg  (2018) "The Old Grandpa in the Corner."  Bill Little Press, Austin, TX.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

My numbers were season averages in yards over 12 games pulled from the Georgia site I googled? I have no idea of their accuracy. 

They get a good number of yards through  the air.  A lot of it is short stuff where their athletes break tackles or the defense makes a mistake and gives up a big play.  I don't fear Fromm that much in a must throw situation where he has to beat you downfield.  I watched the Auburn game and I think he completed a grand total of one pass more than 10-12 yards downfield.

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Don't have to win every down or even most of them.  Georgia relies on its power running game.  One TFL or penalty puts them behind the chains.  Texas does  good job of creating plays for loss.  And I watched Fromm in 3rd and long against Tenn, Auburn and LSU.  It wasn't pretty.  I also saw him against UK but UGa didn't see many 3rd downs in that game, much less 3rd and long.

Sushi , Fromm is one of the best 3rd down passers in all of CFB, where you getting this false sense of security?

here is some education for you. https://www.onlineathens.com/sports/20181111/video-jake-fromm-bulldogs-thrive-on-third-down

• Fuck You 4

I don't understand the hand-wringing I have seen regarding D'andre Swift, as if he is so incredible we might as well roll over and die. We have faced plenty of NFL caliber RBs in recent years and fared just fine against them. Swift is an elite RB talent, but so was Ronald Jones. So was Joe Mixon. We face future NFL players every fucking year in multiple games. Both OU RBs will play in the league. So will David Montgomery and Justice Hill.

This is just buying into the SEC bullshit narrative that they have individual players that are so far and above anyone else's level. It is bullshit, and will always be bullshit. Alabama is the only team in the country right now that can out talent you with their 3rd string. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Colt Appleyoung said:

Sushi , Fromm is one of the best 3rd down passers in all of CFB, where you getting this false sense of security?

here is some education for you. https://www.onlineathens.com/sports/20181111/video-jake-fromm-bulldogs-thrive-on-third-down

That's one game.  How did Fromm look against Tenn?  I saw somewhere he dropped back 7 times on 3rd and 6+ and went 2-5 passing for 2 first downs.  Not terrible, not great.  The problem was the 2 sack and fumbles, one recovered by each team.  Kentucky?  LSU?  Up and down against Florida.

And most SEC defenses are built to stop the run but not great pass defenders or pass rushers.  This shows in the open field missed tackles that lead to a lot of UGa's passing yards and the low sack and TFL numbers for a lot of SEC teams.

That's one game.  How did Fromm look against Tenn?  I saw somewhere he dropped back 7 times on 3rd and 6+ and went 2-5 passing for 2 first downs.  Not terrible, not great.  The problem was the 2 sack and fumbles, one recovered by each team.  Kentucky?  LSU?  Up and down against Florida.

And most SEC defenses are built to stop the run but not great pass defenders or pass rushers.  This shows in the open field missed tackles that lead to a lot of UGa's passing yards and the low sack and TFL numbers for a lot of SEC teams.

Pretty damn good I’d say. 

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/8

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

I don't understand the hand-wringing I have seen regarding D'andre Swift, as if he is so incredible we might as well roll over and die. We have faced plenty of NFL caliber RBs in recent years and fared just fine against them. Swift is an elite RB talent, but so was Ronald Jones. So was Joe Mixon. We face future NFL players every fucking year in multiple games. Both OU RBs will play in the league. So will David Montgomery and Justice Hill.

This is just buying into the SEC bullshit narrative that they have individual players that are so far and above anyone else's level. It is bullshit, and will always be bullshit. Alabama is the only team in the country right now that can out talent you with their 3rd string. 

If you do nothing else watch for the commentary 

swift is special

1 minute ago, Longboard Horn said:

We should be able to stop the run. Orlando is going to have a lot of fun with this. Shoot the gaps to stop Holyfield up the gut and win the corner so that Swift can’t get the edge. 

I'm much more concerned with Georgia's defense than their offense. I don't know yet what the over/under is, but take the under.  I'm thinking if Texas wins, it'll be along the lines of 27-17, and if Georgia wins it'll be more like 27-24. Sure as hell don't take Georgia and the points, unless you hate money.

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'm much more concerned with Georgia's defense than their offense. I don't know yet what the over/under is, but take the under.  I'm thinking if Texas wins, it'll be along the lines of 27-17, and if Georgia wins it'll be more like 27-24. Sure as hell don't take Georgia and the points, unless you hate money.

I’m not gambling on the game. 

He will have to stick with Roach - Nelson - Omenihu. If he tries to sneak Hager in there for anything other than obvious passing downs, we will be toast especially if Hager and Wheeler end up on the same side of the field.

The matchup is nice in theory, given the D commits to making Ga earn it and not giving them stupid penalties or not sticking to their responsibilities.

Edited by pacman

58 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I've noticed this as well.  While it's hard to argue with playing to your strengths, much of offense this year has been the "throw it to our future NFL receivers even when they're perfectly covered" play.  Basically Hero Ball.  That works great up until the point you no longer have transcendent talent on the outside.  See Davis, Greg  (2018) "The Old Grandpa in the Corner."  Bill Little Press, Austin, TX.  

I think a couple of things come to my mind on this matter.

1. Herman is a good play caller, but his abilities were accentuated by having elite personnel and an elite HC to reel him in when he started riding the highs and lows of the game from the booth.

2. Personnel mismatches are a great way to play if you have the personnel.  But good grief this conference is a veritable cornucopia of the free candy available on offense to creative minds.  I was kinda hoping some of that would start rubbing off on our coaches in film study, but we are painfully married to certain dogmas on both sides of the ball as well as an antiquated view of clock management and the value of TOP to the hyper offenses we face.

The Urban Meyer offense as interpreted by Herman is a fine way to play ball.  It offers the possibility of smash mouth football as well as enough spread to cause problems if we have the players.  It just needs an injection of ingenuity from time to time that doesn't involve a toss or sweep and attempted pass by a non passer.

41 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Like I said yesterday, this team got beat by 20 by Ed Orgeron.  Yeah, they're good, but they ain't some unbeatable team.

4 hours ago, Colt Appleyoung said:

Wrong.

5 hours ago, Colt Appleyoung said:

Aggies are great.  Most delusional fricks you could ever hope to meet.  Wtf is up with those male yell leaders, I mean come on, I’ve seen straighter things at a San Francisco parade.

Hey look, aggy is pretending to be Georgia on surly just like they pretend to be Georgia when celebrating football accomplishments. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

They are like mizzou but without the education. They think aggy is cool.

That will change when the scheduling gods of the SECSECSEC see fit to put texum aggum milk men in the same room as woofing jawja dog men. Something is getting milked, something is getting bit, Reveille is getting mounted, and then they let the Georgia fans in.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1

Thing is, we just need more defensive linemen than what we got. We will need more than just fresh bodies in there, we will need men who can hold their place, or zip by big linemen and actually make tackles. 23 and 32 both suck in space, so I'm glad they will be playing inside along with 90 and 44. We just may run out of noses and tackles pretty quick. You really dont want to shift one of those guys in there because we will be gettin bulldozed up the gut if they cant at least make a pile in the middle.

Best thing is, instead of being finessed and schemed, they will just be physically tested. Our guys play way above average when physically tested. I hope we prep our defense to rotate constantly to stay fresh, and run hurry up no huddle offense wide open spread the whole game to wear out their defensive line. Show them something they will never face in the SEC. Get the ball out quick and run more RB screens along with the tunnels, slants, bubbles, ect...