One person got murdered in New Zealand and this was the reaction from their PM

Goo Punch

New Zealand has a population of about 4.5 million people; a little over half the size of the Metroplex.   Solid comparison.  

I suppose we could start getting each city's mayor to go on TV and apologize each time someone gets killed, if it would make folks feel better. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

New Zealand has a population of about 4.5 million people; a little over half the size of the Metroplex.   Solid comparison.  

I suppose we could start getting each city's mayor to go on TV and apologize each time someone gets killed, if it would make folks feel better. 

Are you suggesting that the number of people living in a geographic region somehow impacts the murder rates?

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

is this a bit or are you really this dense? what part of being desensitized to crime implies that New Zealand and America are comparable when it comes to crime? No shit our country is bigger. Next you'll tell me that we have more guns here too. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Crazy how people get murdered less in countries where there aren't weird gun cultists

buncha rhodes scholars in this thread. jesus. what on earth gave you geniuses the idea that i was seeking the answer as to why we have more crime than nz?

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

God damn Derka you can't even respond to a reply on a post without being an asshole.

The question is either you're on your meds, you're off your meds or maybe you're just a rude asshole. Can you have a debate with a poster or posters without being a dick ? 

Oh yeah Skaka is a great coach (cue the volcanic explosion)

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

So it's roughly the population of Chicago...

Where they average more than a murder a day...

Edited by TexArcher

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

No, I was speaking more to why we are desensitized.  330m v 4.5m makes a difference.  

Dallas' murder rate is nearly 10x the rate in New Zealand per capita - 12.5 per 100,000 vs. 1.5 per 100,000.

There is a whole slew of complicated socioeconomic factors that impact that discrepancy that people don't want to talk about, including demographics, income, opportunity, education, social safety nets, environmental factors, health, opportunity for upward mobility, etc. So let's just  right into the part where we choose which side we're on -  1) guns or 2) drug dealing thugs

• Like 1

If trump or a governor chose one murder victim and had a pc about how it shouldn’t have happened, would that make you feel better?

and if we are going to compare murder rates, can we try to compare like for like groups please?

i don’t consider the cities of Dallas or Chicago to be similar to the country of New Zealand just because the populations are roughly similar. 

Might not change the point, I don’t know and don’t care, but let’s at least try to be intellectually honest if we are going to try to have a serious conversation. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

i don’t consider the cities of Dallas or Chicago to be similar to the country of New Zealand just because the populations are roughly similar. 

Yep. New Zealand has 4.5 million people in an area the size of Colorado. It's easier to refrain from killing people when they are right up on you all the time.

15 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Really drives home how desensitized we are over here. Hundreds of people are murdered every year on the south side of Chicago, meanwhile this is how one murder is reacted to in another part of the world:

No, it does not drive it home for me. The US is desensitized to murder, and violence in general. However, one New Zealand mayor apologizing for one murder in her city does not emphasize said numbness in the US. It is a mere data point in a vast ocean of data regarding humanity and its proclivity for violence. Did she express this same display of contrition for the other 35-45 murders this year? No? Then why was this different? It was different because the person killed was a 22 year old British tourist. 

Now let’s look at some facts

The total contribution of Travel & Tourism to GDP was NZD45.5bn (USD31.8bn), 17.5% of GDP in 2016, and is forecast to rise by 2.8% in 2017, and to rise by 2.8% pa to NZD61.5bn (USD43.0bn), 18.2% of GDP in 2027.

In 2016, the total contribution of Travel & Tourism to employment, including jobs indirectly supported by the industry was 23.6% of total employment (583,500 jobs). This is expected to fall by 4.5% in 2017 to 557,000 jobs and rise by 2.5% pa to 712,000 jobs in 2027 (26.7% of total).

Australia is New Zealand’s largest tourism market, contributing more than 1.18 million visitors each year.

The European market is also important to New Zealand, especially the United Kingdom which provides about 189,000 visitors annually and is New Zealand’s fourth largest market.

the. number of people who have passionately misunderstood the point of the OP is alarming, and I can only assume that this is a very very very small sampling of what posting in the cloak room is like.

Cloak Room? Hopefully that means you’re are going be posting over at Shaggy Bevo instead of here.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

the. number of people who have passionately misunderstood the point of the OP is alarming, and I can only assume that this is a very very very small sampling of what posting in the cloak room is like.

You posted an opinion. I disagreed with your opinion. I even used facts. How did I misunderstood the point of your OP?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

what is the opinion that i posted? what was the point I made in the the OP?

Really drives home how desensitized we are over here. Hundreds of people are murdered every year on the south side of Chicago, meanwhile this is how one murder is reacted to in another part of the world:

This is the opinion you posted. 

The point you were trying to make is the United States (I’m assuming you you were referring to the US in your use of the pronoun “we”, so apologies if I’m mistaken) is desensitized to murder compared to New Zealand. 

Did I pass the test?

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

This is the opinion you posted. 

The point you were trying to make is the United States (I’m assuming you you were referring to the US in your use of the pronoun “we”, so apologies if I’m mistaken) is desensitized to murder compared to New Zealand. 

Did I pass the test?

no, you didn't, because you agreed with and repeated the point i was making word for word in the second sentence of your reply, only to then go off in your own tangential direction where you apparently believe you somehow refuted the point that you yourself made with the second sentence of your reply. "the US is desensitized to murder and violence in general." That was the only point, a point which you repeated yourself. forgive me if i don't see how you repeating my point somehow refuted my point in your mind. 

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Another thread in which Derka can't handle his opinions being disagreed with? Color me shocked.

okay sport, your turn: what opinion did i make that has been disagreed with? 

another thread is which the shaggy/surly masses completely disregard the facts since they don't suit their own agenda. it doesn't matter what i actually said, what my point was, or whether or not you or anyone else understood or even acknowledged it, just as long as you stand resolute in the belief that everything you are saying is right. get the fuck off your high horse and get out of here.

Oooh...negged by Derka. Such a predictable fuck.

Worst poster on the board.

hey why don't you whine some more? you can't even make a substantive reply and yet you're in here whining about somebody else not being a good poster. that's brilliant. 

Edited by Goo Punch

@Neonmoon something else you obviously missed is that she's not "some mayor", she's the fucking prime minister of the country.

the gall, and hubris, and ego on you people is astounding. *you* miss the very basic and simple point completely, *you* fudge the facts of the story, and yet *you* have the gall to come in here being combative and patronizing. 

the western world is desensitized to violent crime. that's literally the only point i've made, and anybody who thinks they've disputed that point is free to continue being completely delusional. i'm done. 

• Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

no, you didn't, because you agreed with and repeated the point i was making word for word in the second sentence of your reply, only to then go off in your own tangential direction where you apparently believe you somehow refuted the point that you yourself made with the second sentence of your reply. "the US is desensitized to murder and violence in general." That was the only point, a point which you repeated yourself. forgive me if i don't see how you repeating my point somehow refuted my point in your mind. 

Did you miss the part “compared to New Zealand”? 

You compared the reaction to murder in New Zealand to the reaction in the US. Did you not?

Therefore my tangent was not a tangent but in fact a hypothesis to the reasoning behind the reaction, a rebuttal to the implied reasoning you presented that New Zealand is shocked by just one murder. 

Edited by Neonmoon
Spelling

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Did you miss the part “compared to New Zealand”? 

Youcompared the reaction to murder in New Zealand to the reaction in the US. Did you not?

Therefore my tangent was not a tangent but in fact a hypothesis to the reasoning behind the reaction, a rebuttal to the implied reasoning you presented that New Zealand is shocked by just one murder. 

and where did i say that NZ was shocked by one murder? 

oh, i didn't say that? you're just pulling that out of thin air? well, that's par for the course in this thread then isn't it?

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

@Neonmoon something else you obviously missed is that she's not "some mayor", she's the fucking prime minister of the country.

the gall, and hubris, and ego on you people is astounding. *you* miss the very basic and simple point completely, *you* fudge the facts of the story, and yet *you* have the gall to come in here being combative and patronizing. 

the western world is desensitized to violent crime. that's literally the only point i've made, and anybody who thinks they've disputed that point is free to continue being completely delusional. i'm done. 

Apologies. I did miss she was the prime minister. I don’t see how that changes your point or my point for they matter. 

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

and where did i say that NZ was shocked by one murder? 

oh, i didn't say that? you're just pulling that out of thin air? well, that's par for the course in this thread then isn't it?

one murder is reacted to in another part of the world

Am I missing something?

Just now, Neonmoon said:

Am I missing something?

jesus christ, yes, i'm guessing a few dozen IQ points and several million brain cells, fucking drop it already. again, the sheer *GALL* your childish, combative ass has to talk down towards me when you clearly are only interested in perpetuating a childish internet slap fight is astounding. you have no interest whatsoever in having a rational adult discussion, your only interest is keeping this childish spat going, and yet you convince yourself that you're above it all and that I'm the one who's only interest is derka'ing the thread. even after i clarified for you exactly what my point was, you still insist on going off on countless tangents, citing points have never made and things i've never said as reasons why. wow. all i can say is wow. good luck with that going forward. 

• Fuck You 1

Derka: proof that Pflugerville ISD is failing their taxpayers.

it's always fascinating to me when this exact series of events takes place.

you talk shit to me, i respond in kind, and you go, "oh shit everybody, here goes derka, what a crazy lunatic!" followed by you derka'ing the thread with incessant shit talking and a noticeable lack of posts on the thread subject. again: wow. all i can say is wow.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Deej said:
You are the most thin-skinned, overly sensitive poster on this board. Look inwards, man.

LMAO, says the guy doing his best Derka impression! Good fucking Lord, at least i acknowledge my own mental illness and own it. You've been a carbon copy of me at my worst in this thread and you STILL don't see it. Let's go down the list.

•You've been combative from the jump

•Evey post you've made in this thread has been shit talk. Literally every single post. 

•You can't help yourself but to keep coming back over and over and over, again, only to post shit talk, never once posting about the subject

•You're blaming someone else and ignoring your own actions

•You just went and serially negged evey post i've made in this thread

91ef54360eeaac53990b13e03a347e12.jpg

"look inward" he says. christ that is incomprehensibly dense. even when presented with these irrefutable facts you choose not to see it. wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Goo Punch