Custom suit

Nonbryan

1. Set up a Slickdeals alert for Bangkok to find cheap airfare.

2. Fly to Bangkok, get measured, pick out fabric and details, etc.

3. 48 hour cocaine fueled hooker orgy while waiting for suits.

4. Fly back to the US with 4 or 5 suits and all of the STDs for the cost of one Zegna.

• Like 2

it took me a few purchases of off the rack suits to realize that they were selling me suits/jackets that fit well in the chest but too wide in the shoulders.  By learning that, I can actually buy a cheaper sport coat in a pinch and have it altered correctly by someone else.

sometimes you have to learn by mistakes and better to learn with a $300 suit as opposed to $2000.  Now I know better how to describe what I want when buying a custom suit.

For anyone who wants to learn about how suits should fit, there are some decent video series.  Check out Ashley Weston on YouTube.

I did a search but I couldn't find the old threads on this topic.
I'm sick of wearing suits off the rack that fit like shit!  I want to spend a modest amount and get a couple suits and dress shirts tailored for me.  Anyone have any good recommendations?
Suitsupply. Had the same issue/need as you did until i found them. There's one in the domain if you're in Austin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

elfenix is correct...you can also go to Vietnam..Hoi An to be specific.  Other than that..three options

Buy the best quality suit you can off the rack and find a good tailor...not the tailor at the store mind you.

If the above tailor is that good he is probably qualified to make you a custom suit from scratch...My guy here in SA is authorized to make you a Zegna or HIckey suit. 

There are some online tailors that have you take a bunch of pictures and submit them and they make suits and shirts and send them to you...  I have no experience with them but everything I read says their clothes are spot on.

I'd recommend Tom James.  Similar to what Utphil said.  I've had a few suits, sport coats and slacks made.  There are several price ranges but you can get a good suit for 750-1000 depending on options. Cheaper than a lot of off the rack.  they keep a file on you too so you don't have to get re-measured every time.  You won't ever go back to department store. 

• Like 1

Fly to Hong Kong (I would recommend business class because it’s a really long flight). Book a suite at the Peninsula hotel because it’s bad ass. Then you can easily walk to any number of custom made suit places and have a first class suit made for a reasonable price. Then you can suit up and pop over to Macau (via helicopter) and look like a baller at the Wynn Palace while winning enough money to pay for the trip.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 10:04 AM, midtown said:

elfenix is correct...you can also go to Vietnam..Hoi An to be specific.  Other than that..three options

Buy the best quality suit you can off the rack and find a good tailor...not the tailor at the store mind you.

If the above tailor is that good he is probably qualified to make you a custom suit from scratch...My guy here in SA is authorized to make you a Zegna or HIckey suit. 

There are some online tailors that have you take a bunch of pictures and submit them and they make suits and shirts and send them to you...  I have no experience with them but everything I read says their clothes are spot on.

your tailor's name and shop ?

On 12/12/2018 at 12:18 PM, kangsta said:

I'd recommend Tom James.  Similar to what Utphil said.  I've had a few suits, sport coats and slacks made.  There are several price ranges but you can get a good suit for 750-1000 depending on options. Cheaper than a lot of off the rack.  they keep a file on you too so you don't have to get re-measured every time.  You won't ever go back to department store. 

Second. Sometimes there are Asian guys that do custom suits - measure you and then get it made in a sweat shop. Never done it but have a few friends that did and seem pleased. Not sure how the prices compare.

When you're buying custom suits or semi-custom suits, you have to be able to communicate what you want.  Or at least say that you are new to the custom suit scene and don't know what you want.  Then they can give you options.  

I bought a suit at Knot Standard telling their agent that I didn't want pants that looked like I was wearing skinny jeans.  they came back with super tight pants.  I told them to try again.  

Question for people that have used Tom James, is the only option for them to come to your house or office?  I find that weird as hell and would reject them solely if that is their process.    

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

On 12/17/2018 at 4:34 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Has anyone tried Indochino suits?   How do they compare to Knot Standard in terms of quality?

I got an Indochino suit a few months ago and think it's pretty good for the $299 I spent on it.  Had to send it back the first time because it was way too tight and then it took them a bit to get it correct when the remake arrived.  Assume it would go smoother the second time because they keep track of the adjustments that are made each time.  

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:03 AM, elfenix said:

1. Set up a Slickdeals alert for Bangkok to find cheap airfare.

2. Fly to Bangkok, get measured, pick out fabric and details, etc.

3. 48 hour cocaine fueled hooker orgy while waiting for suits.

4. Fly back to the US with 4 or 5 suits and all of the STDs for the cost of one Zegna.

Image result for m*a*s*h trapper new suit

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

To clarify a bit. I want a custom suit for my wedding. We don’t have a knot standard where I am but I will be in Austin next month so may schedule a fitting. There is an indochiino here though. (On second thought that’s not what I want I think.  They don’t seem that nice.) I need to find a small local to make one I think would be best. 

so is knot standard really that good? Worth working with them even though I’m out of state? 

reveal suits? 

use a guy that flys out of HK and hits up big cities in the US once per quarter or so and sets up shop in a hotel suite.  takes measurements, has samples of suits/shirts/pants and tons of fabric swatches.  can do lots of customized stuff.  stuff comes later in the mail.  you can order new stuff if your measurements are the same any time.  i am tall and on the slim side so even big and tall off the rack stuff fits like ass.