post your nominee for the shittiest "great" band ever

Gil Bang

The wife and I had a classic rock mix going last night, and every time a Pink Floyd song came on we’d give it 30 seconds or so to do something, ANYTHING, other than suck and be boring.  None could clear even that low bar. Hit >| every single time.  

My thoughts on some other nominees on this thread:

Doors - yeah, Morrison is annoying and a fraud.  But they have some good songs and their guitar and piano riffs are interesting.

REM - I don’t follow them, but their harder rocking tracks are pretty solid.  Not a fan of sappy, droning REM, though.

Bon Jovi - who the fuck said they were a “great” band in the first place?  Because whoever it was deserves a beating.

REO Speedwagon - See Jovi, Bon.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The wife and I had a classic rock mix going last night, and every time a Pink Floyd song came on we’d give it 30 seconds or so to do something, ANYTHING, other than suck and be boring.  None could clear even that low bar. Hit >| every single time.  

My thoughts on some other nominees on this thread:

Doors - yeah, Morrison is annoying and a fraud.  But they have some good songs and their guitar and piano riffs are interesting.

REM - I don’t follow them, but their harder rocking tracks are pretty solid.  Not a fan of sappy, droning REM, though.

Bon Jovi - who the fuck said they were a “great” band in the first place?  Because whoever it was deserves a beating.

REO Speedwagon - See Jovi, Bon.

It's all personal likes and dislikes of course:

I feel for people who don't get Pink Floyd and or the Doors.  Morrison a Fraud ?  Wow, not even close.

REM is one of the bedrocks of the American rock scene 1980-85 or so, but yeah that happy Shiny People shit was a shark jumping moment.

Bon Jovi and REO Speed wagon sound like the same stuff a thousand other bands have done since the mid 70's, Nothing original at all in the stuff they were pumping out.

Originality is something I value in rock, and like em or not Pink Floyd and The Doors are unique sounds, more so than REM, but the country/folk/rock mix REM cultivated was a great sound at the right time.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 3:00 AM, NOMAAA said:

We all know it’s rush

Anyone who says that knows nothing about rock music.  You may not like their style of music, and that is totally fine.  But to say Rush, who had a 40 year career, which ended when they said so, not when the industry did. They went out on top.  Sold millions of albums, filled arenas till their last show all over the globe.  Inspired countless musicians and bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Metallica, Bare Naked Ladies, NIN, Pantera, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Primus etc, etc, etc.  Are considered legends by their peers in the industry.  Has had several documentaries filmed about them.  Are no question some of the most gifted musicians ever to play in the music business, again by their peers.  Were inducted into the RRHOF and when their name was announced on the roll call the crowd roared and gave them a standing ovation and the band had to ask them to sit.  To my knowledge that is the only time that has happened.  To say that they are garbage, or their music is shit is completely ignorant.  From 2112 through Moving Pictures is an incredible run.  Their Hemispheres album is only music they could pull off.  And it is incredible.  They may not be to your liking, but at least show some respect to a career that most in the business wish they could have.

My avatar says good day sir!

• Like 2

Anyone who says that knows nothing about rock music.  You may not like their style of music, and that is totally fine.  But to say Rush, who had a 40 year career, which ended when they said so, not when the industry did. They went out on top.  Sold millions of albums, filled arenas till their last show all over the globe.  Inspired countless musicians and bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Metallica, Bare Naked Ladies, NIN, Pantera, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Primus etc, etc, etc.  Are considered legends by their peers in the industry.  Has had several documentaries filmed about them.  Are no question some of the most gifted musicians ever to play in the music business, again by their peers.  Were inducted into the RRHOF and when their name was announced on the roll call the crowd roared and gave them a standing ovation and the band had to ask them to sit.  To my knowledge that is the only time that has happened.  To say that they are garbage, or their music is shit is completely ignorant.  From 2112 through Moving Pictures is an incredible run.  Their Hemispheres album is only music they could pull off.  And it is incredible.  They may not be to your liking, but at least show some respect to a career that most in the business wish they could have.

Yes sir. All of this right here.

4 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Maybe so. But rush is shitty. 

5 hours ago, freyguy said:

My contribution:  The Clash.  All their shit sounds the same.  

We're talking about shitty bands - not about music that you don't like. 

The Clash are one of the 2 bands that brought punk rock into the limelight and you would die before being able to complete a list of every band they have ever influenced. 

And saying "all their shit sounds the same" is about as close to an objectively incorrect opinion on music as you can get. They probably have more range than any punk-rock band from that era. 

"London Calling has since been considered by many critics to be one of the greatest rock albums of all time,[63] including AllMusic's Stephen Thomas Erlewine, who said that it sounded more purposeful than "most albums, let alone double albums".[20] In Christgau's Record Guide: The '80s (1990), Christgau called it the best double album since the Rolling Stones' Exile on Main St. (1972) and said it expanded upon, rather than compromised, the Clash's driving guitar sound in a "warm, angry, and thoughtful, confident, melodic, and hard-rocking" showcase of their musical abilities.[57] According to the English music writer Dave Thompson, London Calling established the Clash as more than "a simple punk band" with a "potent" album of neurotic post-punk, despite its amalgam of disparate and occasionally disjointed musical influences.[64] Don McLeese from the Chicago Sun-Times regarded it as their best album and "punk's finest hour", as it found the band broadening their artistry without compromising their original vigor and immediacy.[56] PopMatters critic Sal Ciolfi called it a "big, loud, beautiful collection of hurt, anger, restless thought, and above all hope" that still sounds "relevant and vibrant".[24] In a review of its 25th anniversary reissue, Uncut wrote that the songs and characters in the lyrics cross-referenced each other because of the album's exceptional sequencing, adding that "The Vanilla Tapes" bonus disc enhanced what was already a "masterpiece".[65]

According to Acclaimed Music, London Calling is the sixth most highly ranked record on critics' lists of the all-time greatest albums.[66] In 1987, Robert Hilburn of the Los Angeles Times named it the fourth-best album of the previous 10 years and said, while the Clash's debut was a punk masterpiece, London Calling marked the genre's "coming of age" as the band led the way into "fertile post-punk territory".[67] In 1989, Rolling Stone ranked the 1980 American release as the best album of the 1980s.[68] In the 1994 Guinness Book of Top 1000 Albums, Colin Larkin named it the second-greatest punk album.[69] In 1999, Q magazine named London Callingthe fourth-greatest British album of all time,[70] and wrote that it is "the best Clash album and therefore among the very best albums ever recorded".[59] The magazine later ranked it 20th on its list of the 100 Greatest Albums Ever.[71] It has also been ranked as the sixth-greatest album of the 1970s by NME,[72] and the second-best in a similar list by Pitchfork,[73] whose reviewer Amanda Petrusich said that it was the Clash's "creative apex" as a "rock band" rather than as a punk band.[74] In 2003, Rolling Stone ranked it eighth on their list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.[4] Entertainment Weekly's Tom Sinclair declared it the "Best Album of All Time" in his headline for a 2004 article on the album.[75] In 2007, it was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, a collection of recordings of lasting qualitative or historical significance.[76] In 2009, the album was included in the BBC Radio 1 Masterpieces Series, denoting one of the most influential albums of all time.[77]"

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The rare trifecta of bad taste.  Congratulations!

Now listening to London Calling and realizing that's where your username comes from. GNR and Nirvana - whatever - I can get it to some degree why people wouldn't like them. 

But thinking The Clash is a shitty band may be the worst take on this thread. 

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Now listening to London Calling and realizing that's where your username comes from.

Yes, I always figured it would be obvious, but to most it isn't.  At all.

Ironically, they were an incredibly tight, accomplished band.  I don't think anyone was going to confuse them with Yes (in any way shape or form), but they were quite good musicians.

I hope you didn’t strain yourself cutting and pasting from Wikipedia....

the Clash to me we’re nothing more than pop guys trying to be punk.  Too popular to be rebellious.  And an endorsement from Rolling Stone only confirms it.  That rag has tried to put up everything wrong with rock as “the best”.

8 hours ago, freyguy said:

I hope you didn’t strain yourself cutting and pasting from Wikipedia....

the Clash to me we’re nothing more than pop guys trying to be punk.  Too popular to be rebellious.  And an endorsement from Rolling Stone only confirms it.  That rag has tried to put up everything wrong with rock as “the best”.

Again personal taste counts for little in this thread. Lots of bands I don't like, but can appreciate, and recognize their place in rock history. 

19 hours ago, freyguy said:

I always hated GNR, and the only reason Nirvana got called “great” was because Cobain offed himself.  

How.Dare.You.

Especially the last part, i mean there are a million different genres in Sandinista alone. 

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Shut your fat whore loving mouth sir. Punk was boring ?!  Punk was and wasn't a lot of things, but boring was never a descriptor, and there's a lot of Punk I thinks sucks beyond belief.

Nope it was boring as shit. Again, music is subjective. So I am speaking from my personal point of view. Punk rock is the disco of that genre. Both are shitty and boring.

• Like 1

I found most punk rock boring, mostly because it wasn't very inventive and lacked any semblance of a hook (or musicianship).  Give me at least one of the three.

The best punk bands were anything but boring, though.  I wouldn't consider The Clash as "punk", but they came out of that same movement.  Sandanista! was a bit spazzy.  London Calling is certainly in my Desert Island Top 10, and should be for anybody (with taste).

• Like 1

Punk was anything but boring when it first showed up on the scene primarily because no one had ever seen anything like it before. I had no idea what planet Wendy O. Williams was from the first time my 12 yo self laid eyes on the Plasmatics. But damn if I wasn’t interested.

96c0ef33cf4b066f7535d34a3a27898f.jpg

The music never did that much for me. But the real punk movement was about much more than the music. And the lovely Ms. Williams was certainly not boring.

13 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Well since I was not around back then for the movement, I'm just judging the actual music. I hate it.

Yeah you had to be there to get the vibe of the day. It was hard and loud and obnoxious at times, but a mosh pit at a Dead Kennedys show was a friggin' blast.

But the genre can be called shitty, and you'd get no argument from me.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

On 12/22/2018 at 2:40 PM, freyguy said:

I always hated GNR, and the only reason Nirvana got called “great” was because Cobain offed himself.  

"The only guys who put tea in their whiskey bottles..."

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I found most punk rock boring, mostly because it wasn't very inventive and lacked any semblance of a hook (or musicianship).  Give me at least one of the three.

The best punk bands were anything but boring, though.  I wouldn't consider The Clash as "punk", but they came out of that same movement.  Sandanista! was a bit spazzy.  London Calling is certainly in my Desert Island Top 10, and should be for anybody (with taste).

To be fair, Duran Duran (and the New Romantics in general) came out of that movement, too.

And all with a lead singer who sounds like nails on a chalkboard.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:54 PM, ztejas said:

Now listening to London Calling and realizing that's where your username comes from. GNR and Nirvana - whatever - I can get it to some degree why people wouldn't like them. 

Bad, but not as bad as thinking all Clash songs sound alike.