Was there a “Master Plan” and, if so...

AustinMT

Bored while waiting on decent football (by the way, why do they even try to continue with that abomination at the Cotton Bowl?)

1.  Was there really a Master Plan in 2009/2010 for Mack to retire (had UT won the national championship)?  And, if so,

2.   Would it have made any difference with what happened over the next few years?  Muschamp has proven to be very mediocre (50-37, and basically 50% in conference with Florida and SC), Major has been anything but stellar (and would have had to deal with “the affair”), there was no QB in the pipeline in hindsight, and the talent overall was less than what people thought.

Table talk.

I’ll take a crack it since nobody wants to respond. 

1. I think there was a plan in place and it was contingent upon Mack’s legacy once he stepped away from the head coaching position. Since the national championship loss, he wasn’t in a position of greatness akin to DKR, and then he lost his shit and put the program into further turmoil with the retarded pro offense. 

2. Muschamp inherited a fucking mess at Florida that was still veiled as its former glory under Urban. I think Muschamp could have done a great job at UT, but we will never know. Maybe Muschamp’s failure following Mack opens the door for Nick Saban? I do think Mack had a hand in Saban not coming to the 40 acres as it would overshadow his “legacy” he left (Vince won the championship and 2 conference championships is a fucking joke). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CastHorn said:

Texas’s recruiting efforts in that era were a major disservice to college football. 

The good thing for recruits within the state of Texas, the athletes are some of the most coveted in the nation, along with the states of California & Florida:

With the profile of high school football being raised, so has the scouting of it, and college recruiters spend as much time breaking down high school prospects as NFL teams do for college players.

But which high schools are "football factories" in the sense that major college programs such as LSU, Ohio State and USC are? It should come as no surprise that these high schools often are the ones given those TV slots since there is a good chance the players playing there will be the same ones in the NFL in a few years.

With the help of Pro-Football-Reference.com, we’re able to see which high schools produce the most NFL players. The top 40 schools come from 11 different states with California the best represented at 13 schools. Texas and Florida each have seven schools to round out the top three states.

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/high-s...content=328465

The attempt on Nordberg's life left me shaken and disturbed, and all the questions kept coming up over and over again, like bubbles in a case of club soda. Who was this character in the hospital? And why was he trying to kill Nordberg? And for whom? Did Ludwig lie to me? I didn't have any proof, but somehow, I didn't entirely trust him either. Why was the 'I Luv You' not listed in Ludwig's records? And if it was, did he know about it? And if he didn't, who did? And where the hell was I?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

(sign).  FWIW -- the question wasn't intended as a "What would it be like if Kennedy hadn't been assassinated" or "What would it be like if my wine refrigerator was magically stocked with Harlan and Screaming Eagle every day" scenario. Nor is it a defense of Mack in any way, shape or form.

I've really wondered if there was a true plan.  I also don't think that there was a sunshine and unicorns scenario either way -- the point (which I thought was apparent) was it seemed like the 2010-present scenario was pretty much set in place either way, given the lack of success of the anointed ones, the lack of a QB, and the shape that Mack had put the program in.

Edited by AustinMT

18 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Bored while waiting on decent football (by the way, why do they even try to continue with that abomination at the Cotton Bowl?)

1.  Was there really a Master Plan in 2009/2010 for Mack to retire (had UT won the national championship)?  And, if so,

2.   Would it have made any difference with what happened over the next few years?  Muschamp has proven to be very mediocre (50-37, and basically 50% in conference with Florida and SC), Major has been anything but stellar (and would have had to deal with “the affair”), there was no QB in the pipeline in hindsight, and the talent overall was less than what people thought.

Table talk.

Do you realize that the absence of a QB in the pipeline and overall lack of talent was a function of the recruiting of Mack and his staff?  You can't  act like we would have had the same players and talent if the coaches were different.

23 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Do you realize that the absence of a QB in the pipeline and overall lack of talent was a function of the recruiting of Mack and his staff?  You can't  act like we would have had the same players and talent if the coaches were different.

Yes.  But at least for the first 2 years (if not more), we'd have had no QB and the same upper classmen for talent.  I don't know what influence Muschamp (and Applewhite starting in early 2008) had on recruiting, so I do agree that maybe they'd have done better.

It depends.

Would Muschamp have immediately made a (stupid) switch away from a spread offense to whatever the fuck Mack tried to run post-2010? Doubtful. We beat Bama with Colt and Shipley running the spread and we probably keep the same offensive philosophy with GG instead of whatever stinky runny ass we tried to run instead that Greg Davis was not equipped to scheme or teach.

4 of those losses in 2010 were by a TD (and 2 point conversion) or less.  A spread offense that actually utilized the players we recruited probably gets you 3 of the 4 (and maybe all 4).  Instead of 5-7, we finish 8-5 or 9-4 in the first year after Colt. 

Honestly, it depends on what scheme we run with GG.  If he doesn't implode trying to QB something he wasn't equipped to do, maybe the whole thing changes.  Or not. I'm not Dr. Strange, I can't tell you.

Edited by Js1

A couple thoughts:

---  It's unbelievable how badly Texas squandered the built-in advantages we had in 2009.  We had like four (?) top-5 finishes and two national title games between '04 and '09?  And in a nice city with all the "Texas" advantages (recruiting hotbed)?  And almost immediately (starting in 2010), we start trotting out offensive line talent that was clearly below-average for a power-five conference.  No competent QB, no game-breaking receivers, and an O-line that got physically whipped week after week.  For that post-Colt half decade, Mack Brown has to be a first-ballot, unanimous selection for the Grossly Overpaid and Wildly Underachieving Hall of Fucking Fame.

Sometimes what your critics say about you is right on the money.

Meanwhile, you had sleepy-eyed Mike Fucking Sherman the human ambien at an also-ran university (that has accomplished pretty much nothing for the better part of a century), and during that same time period, he somehow loaded his roster with NFL-bound linemen, NFL-caliber receivers, a stable of dynamic backs, and a Heisman-winning QB.  

I need a drink.

----  I'm no fan-boy of Major, but I think he and Harsin did a competent job here... scoring points despite a relative dearth of offensive talent.  Texas fans are pretty fickle, and the ever-shifting attitudes toward Major as a coach demonstrate that.  I mean, he's been reasonably successful at numerous stops in his career, and you could make an argument that during his time in Austin, his competence as an OC helped to mask the incompetence of Mack Brown as a CEO.

So yeah, who knows how Muschamp would have worked out?  I guess it depends on 1) who does he hire as OC, and 2) how cognizant was he of Mack's profound ineptitude in evaluating and recruiting talent.

Edited by Paul Wesley

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Sadly, we asked our OL to be extremely physical in run-blocking after 2009 when every OL on our roster was better suited for not very physical spread offense.   Mack tried to stick a square dick in a round pussy.

Well, I would argue that the O-line was kind of shitty even in '09.  That fact got hidden many weeks by a superb college QB who was extremely accurate and very mobile.  Plus we had great slot receivers in Shipley and Cosby.

But even in '09, you often had Colt running for his life and improvising (Nebraska and Suh say "hi.").  I mean, in the 09 Big 12 championship, we won ONLY because we had an elite defense.  

(sign).  FWIW -- the question wasn't intended as a "What would it be like if Kennedy hadn't been assassinated" or "What would it be like if my wine refrigerator was magically stocked with Harlan and Screaming Eagle every day" scenario. Nor is it a defense of Mack in any way, shape or form.
  I've really wondered if there was a true plan.  I also don't think that there was a sunshine and unicorns scenario either way -- the point (which I thought was apparent) was it seemed like the 2010-present scenario was pretty much set in place either way, given the lack of success of the anointed ones, the lack of a QB, and the shape that Mack had put the program in.
Plan?

Yes.

f91dec9ac7ce79a6e00d40275ee1dfcf.jpg41606862869eafe3f504510ea9272870.jpgfdcfea30364f8ed7b799e9ea307300b4.jpg870824a2edb1644b6e46ce04e899fadf.gif7e2aa3d6bceadd61c99248331509c154.gif33cd95ab2b6a15d3e33c8e7871233aba.giff65d3276db1d6e8714b60f599c9ce47c.gif0e17fd2d2aa64d66f99bdc8cee3df919.jpga9e440b9c9566b14472414d551c58300.gif447d264d9caee495d97b427f33f7e599.jpg4acddb09720ee5780f7ad6c85635d00f.jpga37be7159874e319361948f827e402a3.gif45f7b27c1df2993db47589aee81ef5f3.gifc6f0d976a425990ea276ea1fe691ee25.jpgccb9490d3e0f7ababf94d97bb49911aa.jpg891b7d34e09f704de363830b5c7389f5.jpg1f4cbd5adb168d421e956bbb49417de7.jpg4034c0cc0bd77140a2875941742d9c5a.jpg

Mule

Dick