Of course Sleazebag Saban is against expanding the playoffs

clapclapclap

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25625384/alabama-crimson-tide-coach-nick-saban-remains-opposed-expanding-playoff-field

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Alabama coach Nick Saban remains steadfastly opposed to expanding the College Football Playoff.

Saban, who reminded everyone that he wasn't in favor of going from two to four teams, said he feels expanding the field leads to an undercutting of the "self-gratification" for players that comes with going to bowl games not associated with the national championship.

"I think the playoff ... continues to expand to minimize the importance of those games, maybe to the point where those games won't even exist," Saban said Thursday. "I'm not sure that is the best thing, overall, for college football."

The College Football Playoff is in the fifth year of a 12-year contract; under Saban, Alabama has made the playoff all five seasons, winning two national titles.

Saban argued that if the playoff were to expand, then more players would skip bowl games to prepare for their NFL futures and fewer fans would attend the games.

The importance of the non-playoff bowl games, Saban said, would continue to "sort of disintegrate."

"Which I'm not sure is good for college football," Saban said. "I'm not really for going eight teams in a playoff. It's a hypothetical question, that I have enough issues and problems to solve without thinking about something that may or may not happen."

On Thursday, Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said he didn't see "any momentum for change" in terms of expanding the playoff to eight teams.

"I think it's working very well," Swarbrick said. "Having said that, I think every business should look at every aspect of its business. But being open to a conversation is not the same as being an advocate for particular change. I think we should talk about anything members think are relevant, but I don't see any momentum for change."

53 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Saban argued that if the playoff were to expand, then more players would skip bowl games to prepare for their NFL futures and fewer fans would attend the games.

So if we take 4 teams out of bowls, and put them in the playoff instead, we'll have more people skipping other already meaningless bowls?

I'm willing to bet the guy on Georgia would be playing if he was in the playoff, and if the sugar bowl between Texas and Georgia was a playoff game tickets would not be going for $30.

49 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

I'm shocked that the coach of a team that doesn't even have to win their division to be invited to the playoff and the AD of a team that isn't even in a conference and is all but guaranteed a playoff spot with only 1 loss are against expansion.

In the investment world this is known as "talking your book."

Why isn’t anyone outraged that UCF is again not in the playoffs? Which they deserve to be no matter what shit conference they are in and who they play. No big money dipshit guys want this to be like basketball.

Saban is only protecting his turf which is “beat me and then I will bitch about how you did it”. God I hate Sooners but lights out cunt. I hope they rip his ass wide open. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Why isn’t anyone outraged that UCF is again not in the playoffs? Which they deserve to be no matter what shit conference they are in and who they play. No big money dipshit guys want this to be like basketball.

Saban is only protecting his turf which is “beat me and then I will bitch about how you did it”. God I hate Sooners but lights out cunt. I hope they rip his ass wide open. 

They’d be fucking destroyed by any of the top 4 teams, etc. They played a complete shit schedule. Fuck them getting in over a team that played full slate of meaningful games. They can take their mythical-mythical conference championship and shove it up their collective Florida trash asses. 

• Like 3

Do’s way with bowl tie ins as well. FBS needs to get on FCS, D2 and D3’s level. 

4 super regions of 28 teams, #1 seed has first round bye while the higher seeds host. 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5.

Or if that doesn’t work, the NY6 and a few other deemed “worthy” bowls will be the playoffs. Bowl champs move on to next round.

Edited by Longboard Horn
Thinking outside of the box

9 minutes ago, Blanton said:

They’d be fucking destroyed by any of the top 4 teams, etc. They played a complete shit schedule. Fuck them getting in over a team that played full slate of meaningful games. They can take their mythical-mythical conference championship and shove it up their collective Florida trash asses. 

Why not see your point? The truth is, the plain truth, big schools don’t want to get their asses kicked. Not good for business. UCF wrecked Auburn last year doing it mostly with a one handed (granted it’s not a deficit)man. Let’s have our bowls and bullshit then. The truth is most people don’t want real playoffs bc without a conference they’d have no arch rivals. 

Edited by Nicole44
I really don’t care about rivals. If you’re 80 years old and still remember how the grass smelt when you last beat Aggy? Jesus just go ahead and die

36 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Why not see your point? The truth is, the plain truth, big schools don’t want to get their asses kicked. Not good for business. UCF wrecked Auburn last year doing it mostly with a one handed (granted it’s not a deficit)man. Let’s have our bowls and bullshit then. The truth is most people don’t want real playoffs bc without a conference they’d have no arch rivals. 

UCF just crawfished from a Florida matchup because they thought they were too good to agree to a 2 for 1.  I remember Southern Miss used to say anyone, anytime, anywhere.  Obviously Central Florida is more interested in feeding their persecution complex than in actually doing anything to fix their terrible scheduling.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

UCF just crawfished from a Florida matchup because they thought they were too good to agree to a 2 for 1.  I remember Southern Miss used to say anyone, anytime, anywhere.  Obviously Central Florida is more interested in feeding their persecution complex than in actually doing anything to fix their terrible scheduling.

Then why not do away with bs conference affiliations? Also, I hope UCF wins. Sorry.

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Then why not do away with bs conference affiliations? Also, I hope UCF wins. Sorry. 

Because people want to watch brand name football.  UCF is the generic right now and just barely starting to build theirs.  Networks and sponsors pay for audience and UCF ain't got that yet.  From the perspective of those 2 it's a business.  Right now, UCF is about where TCU was 15 years ago in that respect.

13 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Because people want to watch brand name football.  UCF is the generic right now and just barely starting to build theirs.  Networks and sponsors pay for audience and UCF ain't got that yet.  From the perspective of those 2 it's a business.  Right now, UCF is about where TCU was 15 years ago in that respect.

Either you’re a Gator fan or... give me some context man?

Edited by Nicole44
Dumbass Nicole: what’s ur team?

3 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

Eight teams is perfect

in before someone posts how an eight team playoff would look if we had it today 

IMOH; 16 would be better in my opinion, of a "more balanced CFP bracket system"...
But color me completely shocked that Saban didn't vouch for a 1 team playoff format...

tenor.gif?itemid=5610222

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

four teams is just right 

Nope. 8 teams. The champions of the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, PAC and 3 at large teams. The winners of the power 5 conferences are all represented and with 3 at large bids up for grabs it opens the door for a team from the American Athletic or Mountain West who goes 12-0 or 13-0 to sneak into the equation. Like I've said in the past the 4 team playoff is a step up from the shitty BCS system which had plenty of controversy surrounding it, but the 4 team playoff would be better off replaced by the format I just mentioned. All of the power 5 conferences are accounted for and 3 at large bids leave a lot of flexibility to include independents and teams from smaller conferences.

• Like 2