Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

What’s scary is they don’t consider themselves bigots or recognize it when they’re exposed to it. 

They aren't necessarily bigots. There is no need to paint with quite that broad a brush.  One can be staunchly pro-life but also strongly in support of civil right legislation for minorities, LGBT, etc.  

I'm as disgusted by the buy-in as anyone, but there are people out there with open minds about everything BUT abortion and who feel they must support the right because of that single issue.  I may not think that's an acceptable tradeoff, and you might not think so, but I can't in good conscience tell someone that their tough choice is wrong.

What I'd like to see is more of those single-issue R voters step up and speak out about all the other garbage promulgated by the right.  That doesn't happen nearly enough for my taste.  It doesn't mean it never happens.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

They aren't necessarily bigots. There is no need to paint with quite that broad a brush.  One can be staunchly pro-life but also strongly in support of civil right legislation for minorities, LGBT, etc.  

I'm as disgusted by the buy-in as anyone, but there are people out there with open minds about everything BUT abortion and who feel they must support the right because of that single issue.  I may not think that's an acceptable tradeoff, and you might not think so, but I can't in good conscience tell someone that their tough choice is wrong.

What I'd like to see is more of those single-issue R voters step up and speak out about all the other garbage promulgated by the right.  That doesn't happen nearly enough for my taste.  It doesn't mean it never happens.

The vice president is far more staunchly pro-life than the president.   Anyone who is truly in the camp you describe should be for impeachment as much as anyone.  But they aren't, because the single-issue abortion thing is just another pretext to justify looking the other way for Trump. 

10 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

The vice president is far more staunchly pro-life than the president.   Anyone who is truly in the camp you describe should be for impeachment as much as anyone.  But they aren't, because the single-issue abortion thing is just another pretext to justify looking the other way for Trump. 

Nah, that's a huge stretch.  They believe Trump is loading SCOTUS with pro-life justices, and that's enough.  Angling for the chaos of impeachment is unnecessary.  This isn't a primary of Trump VS Pence.

Nah, that's a huge stretch.  They believe Trump is loading SCOTUS with pro-life justices, and that's enough.  Angling for the chaos of impeachment is unnecessary.  This isn't a primary of Trump VS Pence.

What's the stretch?   They're accepting all of the bad with Trump because they purport to care about a policy that would remain even if he were impeached and removed.   There's no explanation for that other than that they don't actually care about the bad stuff.  And I bet many of them didn't give a shit about the "chaos" of impeachment when it was Clinton. 

46 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

What's the stretch?   They're accepting all of the bad with Trump because they purport to care about a policy that would remain even if he were impeached and removed.   There's no explanation for that other than that they don't actually care about the bad stuff.  And I bet many of them didn't give a shit about the "chaos" of impeachment when it was Clinton. 

Well, you're wrong.  In their minds, supporting Trump generates the least risk in moving towards a country where abortion is illegal.

I'm sorry it bothers you that there are people out there who think this way.  I can't wrap my head around the "logic", either, but to say that by definition they are all bigots is short-sighted, broad-brushed, and intellectually lazy.  The world is more complicated than that.

Edited by jimmyjazz

4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Burning the American flag is probably the most American thing anyone can do.

How many of these people wanting a ban own a pair of American flag shorts, or an American flag beach towel, or an American flag lawn chair/folding chair.  Because I see those fuckers all over the place, and they are literally placing their asses on the American flag.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Well, you're wrong.  In their minds, supporting Trump generates the least risk in moving towards a country where abortion is illegal.

I'm sorry it bothers you that there are people out here who think this way.  I can't wrap my head around the "logic", either, but to say that by definition they are all bigots is short-sighted, broad-brushed, and intellectually lazy.  The world is more complicated than that.

Nah, you're just making the same old lame excuses for despicable choices.  Yes, I'm definitely bothered that there are so many people in this country who have chosen to support this awful president.  They're not all bigots; they are just, at a minimum, okay with bigotry, and criminality, and all the rest, because it gets them other things they want.   And abortion is just their "get out of thinking" free card.   Which avoids the social cost that such stances would otherwise bring, because people like you accept it to let them off the hook. 

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I think it's a poor idea to keep dismissing Trump supporters as stupid. Name-calling that is often resorted to is also, in my opinion, counter-productive for a few reasons.

Trump's band of supporters are not homogenized yokel racists morons. 

I've met otherwise good and mildly thoughtful people who voted Trump and seem to be gritting their teeth under scorn waiting to vote for him again. I don't get it, but there it is. They're not traitors even if their vote is dangerous to the republic.

I prefer to stay engage with Trumpists who are clearly sincere and not blind followers or trolls. Maybe I can figure out where the problem is. Some combination of party-fanaticism, self-interest, and belief that the alternative to Trump/GOP (interchangeable terms now) is far more dangerous surely drives them. 

I'd rather stick to questioning and attacking those pillars of their belief rather than just calling someone an idiot. I mean, yes, there are surely idiots who post here as well as ideologues and trolls who deserve scorn, but that's not everyone.

So, there's my little soapbox speech of the day. I don't want to automatically transfer the seething fury and scorn I have for Trump, his administration, his elected toadies, and the actual deplorables to everyone who votes Trump.

Of course, name-calling and interrupted dinners are fair game for those named above. 

in general, i don't disagree with what you're saying, but this^ was in response to someone who apparently didn't vote for trump in 2016 but will be voting for trump in 2020.

anyone who carries that stunning mindset deserves whatever name or label you choose to tag them with.

Mojo Hand, I'm not making excuses.  I don't support their beliefs.  I'm telling you that for some people, it's more important to be 100% anti-abortion and accept some collateral bigotry.  They're not all idiots, they're not (necessarily) bigots, they just lean so hard on one issue that it's an acceptable (if awful) tradeoff for them.

You don't get to make the call as to which is the more despicable choice for them.  You just don't.  It's not your position.

I believe you do get to say (as I do) "your position is fundamentally at odds with the principles upon which this country was founded", and that would be right, but the fact is, they're citizens, they have a vote, they don't have to abstractly support those founding principles nor make their judgments in that light, and all I can do is hope we always have enough votes at the ballot box to shout them down.

BUT, it doesn't mean they're bigots.  It just doesn't.  Many (most?) are, but not all.  Stop arguing.  You're wrong.

Edited by jimmyjazz

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

So the current theory on why someone in the government decided to leak this to the press is to let the public know when and if Trump decides to shut it down.  

Two administration officials said they believed Mr. Trump had not been briefed in any detail about the steps to place “implants” — software code that can be used for surveillance or attack — inside the Russian grid.

Pentagon and intelligence officials described broad hesitation to go into detail with Mr. Trump about operations against Russia for concern over his reaction — and the possibility that he might countermand it or discuss it with foreign officials, as he did in 2017 when he mentioned a sensitive operation in Syria to the Russian foreign minister.

Because the new law defines the actions in cyberspace as akin to traditional military activity on the ground, in the air or at sea, no such briefing would be necessary, they added.

The intent of the operations was described in different ways by several current and former national security officials. Some called it “signaling” Russia, a sort of digital shot across the bow. Others said the moves were intended to position the United States to respond if Mr. Putin became more aggressive.

Our President isn’t invited to weddings and funerals because he’s an asshole and isn’t briefed on highly sensitive national security matters related to our biggest global adversary because he’s a traitor.

Good stuff.

• Like 2

I'm not making excuses.  I don't support their decision.  I'm telling you that for some people, it's more important to be 100% anti-abortion and accept some collateral bigotry, and they're not idiots, they're not (necessarily) bigots, they just lean so hard one one issue that it's an acceptable, but awful, tradeoff for them.

You don't get to make the call as to which is the more despicable choice for them.  You just don't.  It's not your call.

I believe you do get to say (as I do) "your position is fundamentally at odds with the principles upon which this country was founded", and you'd be right, but the fact is, they're citizens, they have a vote, they don't have to abstractly support those founding principles nor make their judgments in that light, and all I can do is hope we always have enough votes at the ballot box to shout them down.

BUT, it doesn't mean they're bigots.  It just doesn't.  Many (most?) are, but not all.  Stop arguing.  You're wrong.

I absolutely do get to make the call.  It's my opinion, and I'm free to voice it and act on that opinion.   If more people did the same, they might actually feel some social pressure to oppose Trump and sway their Senators to install Pence as the most anti-abortion president in history. 

Look, you buy and excuse their bullshit, I don't, and we'll just have to disagree.  I can live with that.   And fuck off with "stop arguing" and "you don't get to" do this or that.  Who made you board cop? 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I absolutely do get to make the call.  It's my opinion, and I'm free to voice it and act on that opinion.   

How fucking arrogant are you?  How do you get to call someone a bigot who is 100% in favor of equality under the law for race, gender, sexuality, age, whatever?  Words mean things.

Man, I'm not the board cop.  

EDIT:  eh, fuck it.

Edited by jimmyjazz

I think the point Mojo is trying to make is he’s past giving Trump supporters the benefit of the doubt, as am I.  They’re not good people.  If you tolerate and support an overt treacherous criminal racist monster like Trump, what does that say about you?  

You don’t need any media spin to come to a reasonable conclusion on the nature of Donald Trump.  You just have to watch what he says and does to determine this guy is among the worst of our population and shouldn’t be walking freely among us. 

• Like 1

How fucking arrogant are you?  How do you get to call someone a bigot who is 100% in favor of equality under the law for race, gender, age, whatever?

Man, I'm not the board cop.  I'm just not stupid.  Enough of this, go have another bourbon, for fuck's sake.

You may not have noticed while barking orders at me, but I explicitly said that they are "not all bigots; they are just, at a minimum, okay with bigotry, and criminality, and all the rest, because it gets them other things they want."   That is unquestionably true:   they accept a racist birther president who has imposed a Muslim ban, racist immigration policies, numerous anti-LGBT policies, and more, in order to get what they want.

Give me a break with this "100% in favor of equality" nonsense for people who are responsible for keeping the architect of all of these bigoted policies, with the lame excuse that it would be a hassle to replace Trump with Pence.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

You may not have noticed while barking orders at me, but I explicitly said that they are "not all bigots; they are just, at a minimum, okay with bigotry, and criminality, and all the rest, because it gets them other things they want."   That is unquestionably true:   they accept a racist birther president who has imposed a Muslim ban, racist immigration policies, numerous anti-LGBT policies, and more, in order to get what they want.

If you'll go back and read, my sloppy use of "you" started out in response to a statement by Hugo.

I agree, you couched the argument in more definitive terms.  I don't agree that they're necessarily "okay" with the other things, but rather that for some, it's just the lesser of two evils.

I'm gonna watch golf.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I think the point Mojo is trying to make is he’s past giving Trump supporters the benefit of the doubt, as am I.  They’re not good people.  If you tolerate and support an overt treacherous criminal racist monster like Trump, what does that say about you?  

You don’t need any media spin to come to a reasonable conclusion on the nature of Donald Trump.  You just have to watch what he says and does to determine this guy is among the worst of our population and shouldn’t be walking freely among us. 

Absolutely.   I've been open to the idea that a Trump supporter could be a good person; it's just that I can no longer conceptualize circumstances in which that could exist, other than the categories of "stupid" and "mental/psychological problems." 

I gave many Trump voters the benefit of the doubt early on, including my anti-abortion, staunchly Catholic in-laws.  They have grown totally disgusted with Trump and think he should be impeached, even while supporting his judges and the like.   There is no reasonable excuse for a good person of normal mind to still support keeping Trump in office.   In my opinion. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

in general, i don't disagree with what you're saying, but this^ was in response to someone who apparently didn't vote for trump in 2016 but will be voting for trump in 2020.

anyone who carries that stunning mindset deserves whatever name or label you choose to tag them with.

Exactamundo. 

Plus I was specifically talking about Johnny sack. The epitome of the I’ve got mine Republican Party mindset. Frankly I’m baffled how he didn’t vote for trump in 2016. 

My dad is the biggest trumpkin I know and despite that, we still have a great relationship. When he starts on his nonsense I either ignore it or ask him where he heard that. The latter annoys him because I’ve previously called him out on his Fox News habit.

Interestingly enough, it’s somewhat worked in that he watches less fox news. I’m not sure it’s helped though because God knows where he’s getting some of his news now. 

Regardless, I’m able to both love my trumpkin dad and still have a good relationship by subtle digs, not outright confrontation. What else can I do? 

The child concentration camps eliminate any possibility of being a single issue Republican voter. I don't care what the single issue is that you care so much about, if it's so important that you continue to support the GOP even though we are destroying families and killing kids, then fuck you, you suck. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

The child concentration camps eliminate any possibility of being a single issue Republican voter. I don't care what the single issue is that you care so much about, if it's so important that you continue to support the GOP even though we are destroying families and killing kids, then fuck you, you suck. 

They didn't even keep fucking records of which kid goes with which parents!   

The child separation policy is easily the most vile and evil thing this horrific administration has done, so far. Mentally torturing very young children you would think would be off the table. Guess not. 

Would any of our resident trolls care to speak up in defense of said policy? 

according to mueller - the only reason it wasn't technically a crime in 2016, was because the people who accepted the "help" weren't aware that it was illegal.  a fine line, but one they won't be able to claim this time around.
insanity.

Ignorance of the law is a valid defense? That’s quite a precedence being set.

3 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

My guess is that you think of them as "otherwise good" people because they are good to you, as somebody within their family or social circle. 

You make solid arguments, but I hate when someone presumes to go inside of my head. I especially dislike when the suggestion is that I'm a simp. I may be a simp, but I don't like this way of "proving it."

There is actually no one that I spend family or friend time with who supports Trump. I refer to people I am merely acquainted with or strangers. A financial consultant sat with me an my beloved and offered good advice. Somehow Trump's name came up and he defended Trump as having made some brilliant move to save an economic downturn that experts could see coming. 

Of course, I doubt his assertion. The surprise was the intelligence with which he spoke about other things. That's the puzzling part. Saying this guy is an idiot (the point of my post) is just not accurate, in my opinion. I don't think Johnny Sack is an idiot even though the wrong-headedness of his political posts astounds me.

I think you have placed too much weight on my mention of "otherwise good." I'm not setting a high bar there. The wicked policies of the Trump administration flourish because of these people's votes, but I think they believe that they are choosing the path of net less wickedness. Maybe that does make them idiots in general, but they're good at hiding it from me.

I'll not defend a hill saying that Trump supporters are generally good folks. I mainly suggest that they are not all the same. The "Fuck Your Feelings" crowd don't define them all. 

It actually seems kind of obvious to me that shouting names at each other is not a productive way to proceed. Our political pickle pretty much starts with Rush and the boys turning the word liberal into our countries version of the Nazi Juden. The libs want to undermine us, they're tricky and sly, they don't say what they mean, they want power of all of us genuine Germans Americans! I don't want to take up that form of "discourse.

Idiot World will likely pass me by if it has not already done so. Maybe my point is just a sad romantic muse.

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You make solid arguments, but I hate when someone presumes to go inside of my head. I especially dislike when the suggestion is that I'm a simp. I may be a simp, but I don't like this way of "proving it."

There is actually no one that I spend family or friend time with who supports Trump. I refer to people I am merely acquainted with or strangers. A financial consultant sat with me an my beloved and offered good advice. Somehow Trump's name came up and he defended Trump as having made some brilliant move to save an economic downturn that experts could see coming. 

Of course, I doubt his assertion. The surprise was the intelligence with which he spoke about other things. That's the puzzling part. Saying this guy is an idiot (the point of my post) is just not accurate, in my opinion. I don't think Johnny Sack is an idiot even though the wrong-headedness of his political posts astounds me.

I think you have placed too much weight on my mention of "otherwise good." I'm not setting a high bar there. The wicked policies of the Trump administration flourish because of these people's votes, but I think they believe that they are choosing the path of net less wickedness. Maybe that does make them idiots in general, but they're good at hiding it from me.

I'll not defend a hill saying that Trump supporters are generally good folks. I mainly suggest that they are not all the same. The "Fuck Your Feelings" crowd don't define them all. 

It actually seems kind of obvious to me that shouting names at each other is not a productive way to proceed. Our political pickle pretty much starts with Rush and the boys turning the word liberal into our countries version of the Nazi Juden. The libs want to undermine us, they're tricky and sly, they don't say what they mean, they want power of all of us genuine Germans Americans! I don't want to take up that form of "discourse.

Idiot World will likely pass me by if it has not already done so. Maybe my point is just a sad romantic muse.

You are right that name calling isn’t productive. But neither is resignation in the face of evil. 

It wasn’t rush who gave the word liberal a dirty word. The baby boomers did that to themselves long before rush and the corporate republican media machine came along. 

They kidnapped themselves man.

And the bums lost. Their revolution was over. The bums always lose. 

Whats important now is to make sure the nihilists like trump and his evil pet turtle don’t get the money. It really is that simple. 

Just now, TexArcher said:

72 homicides in D.C. so far this year.  

58 in London.

The population of London is more than 10 times the population of D.C.

True but DC is mainly black and trump is not the president of the blacks, especially if they live in DC. 

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Well since the president of the USA is a likely an unaware (because of NPD)  Russian asset what ya gonna do? Complicates things. 

This story tells Putin the US government is cutting Trump off from Russia related intelligence.  

Trump’s value to Putin just went down.  This is some serious shit. 

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I didn't intend to imply that I thought you were a simp.  I don't think that about anyone who simply disagrees with me about the nature of Trump supporters.  For example, I don't think jimmyjazz is an idiot for thinking that there are good folks who support Trump because abortion is so important to them.  I just disagree.   I am even open to the possibility that I'm the one who is wrong about Trump supporters and that there are really wonderful folks who have a legitimate, moral justification for opposing impeachment and removal with Pence taking over.  Just need to see a single example first. 

I think there are plenty of smart people and people of average intelligence who support Trump.   Setting aside the nuts, they seem to be either extremely terrible people (David Duke/Johnny Sack types) or people who are wilfully blind to the worst stuff because they like other things about Trump.   In my opinion, that still counts as deplorable, albeit not quite as bad as the first group. I don't think that this last group is irredeemable (unlike Hillary), but it's going to require something that really makes them face reality, plus social pressure. 

Calling them names to their face won't help, but I think accurately characterizing them is essential to determining what to do about it, even if it's something they would be offended by if they heard the discussion. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

For example, I don't think jimmyjazz is an idiot for thinking that there are good folks who support Trump because abortion is so important to them.  I just disagree.

But that's not what I was saying.  I was saying that it's possible to support Trump without being a bigot.  That's it.  Supporting a bigoted politician no more makes one a bigot than supporting a pro-choice politician makes one pro-choice.  There are just too many issues that have different degrees of importance to any one individual for us to make those sweeping judgments.

I hope this is the last time I say this, because even though it's clearly not a universally held opinion, I'd at least appreciate having my perspective correctly characterized.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/15/donald-trump-elizabeth-warren-2020-election-1365816

Trump campaign zeroes in on a new threat: Elizabeth Warren

The president's team is about to go after a candidate he had left for dead.

President Donald Trump’s reelection machine is setting its sights on a new target, one it had left for dead just a few months ago: Elizabeth Warren.

With the Massachusetts senator rising in polls and driving a populist message that threatens to cut into the president’s blue-collar base, the Trump campaign is training its firepower on Warren with an eye toward blunting her momentum.

Trump aides and their allies at the Republican National Committee, who initially believed their money and manpower were better focused elsewhere, are digging up opposition research, deploying camera-wielding trackers, and preparing to brand Warren as a liberal extremist. The reassessment of Warren, confirmed in conversations with more than a half-dozen Trump advisers, reflects the volatility of the massive Democratic primary and how the reelection campaign is reacting to it.

The Trump team — including the president himself — had been focused almost exclusively on Joe Biden to this point. But Warren’s rise now has them thinking she could pose a serious threat in a general election. Warren’s disciplined style, populist-infused speeches, and perceived ability to win over suburban female voters, Trump advisers concede, has raised concerns.

Campaign pollster John McLaughlin has sounded the alarm internally, stressing that Warren’s attacks on Trump threaten to undercut his support from the working-class voters who propelled him to the presidency.

“Although our own early published polls and internal polls discounted Elizabeth Warren, her recent momentum in May and June in national and early caucus and primary states into a strong second place to a flat Joe Biden is a cause for our campaign’s attention,” McLaughlin wrote in a text message to POLITICO.

[Snip]

The RNC, meanwhile, recently sent out a news release drawing attention to a radio interview in which Warren was pressed on her past claims of Native American ancestry.

But Trump aides are planning a barrage that extends well beyond the heritage issue, which has been the focus of Trump's mockery and broadsides. They’re preparing to dig into her past as a professor and try to pick apart her laundry list of policy proposals.

“There’s no question that Elizabeth Warren is on the move, has momentum and could well end up as our opponent,” said Tim Murtaugh, a Trump 2020 spokesman. “We have to make sure voters know about her proposals for government takeover of health care, free health care for illegal immigrants, radical environmental restrictions, and increased taxes — all proposals that will devastate this country.”

A Warren spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.

/end

These people are fucking amateurs. 

27 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We should probably invest in schools that teach kids how to be better citizens, adults too. 

We should do that, but we wont. Because some of those schools will include browns and especially blacks.

But they’re not racists, they have other reasons for that. They’ll tell you right here shortly. 

Chrispy?! Gr Horns? Need some help up in here. Comon now. Don’t be shy. 

40  years from now there will be a class taught in high school that simply asks “why didn’t the American people remove trump from president before 2020 when he clearly was a criminal who didn’t care about the constitution and was only in it for himself?”

If only we can all live that long to help them answer that mystery.

Well you see Johnny, some people are just naturally born pieces of shit, and your great grandad had a busy job and ....

53 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We should probably invest in schools that teach kids how to be better citizens, adults too. 

Cause the two party system decided that the choices were trump and Clinton. And your girl decided to shit on the Midwest.