NFC Championship: Rams @ Saints

TexasMan

31 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

This idea may finally be a way to keep these motherfucking prima dona defensive backs from hanging all over the receivers when they go down the field. The only problem I can see is that after you've used one, they'll start back up. If the coach wins the challenge, he gets another one.

It was always a mistake to let these primadonas hold. If you go back to the old rules you'll have a lot of open receivers. How do you counter this? You stop offensive lineman  from being able to hold, forcing the QB to hurry up his throw. The game becomes less predictable. Wilder. Fuck this league as it is now.

WTF are you even talking about?  If you went back to the old rules, scoring would drop about 12 points per game combined.  DB’s used to mug receivers like they were fingerbanging Mary Jane Rottencrotch.  

5 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Funny watching the halftime show during AFC championship game- Boomer was about to go off on officials and Cowher awkwardly brought the convo back to chiefs-patriots. Seemed fairly obvious that someone was screaming in an earpiece to shut that shit down.

Everyone that makes a living off the nfl should be that pissed. It’s an embarrassment and they put the wrong team in the championship game. 

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think the NFL needs to reserve one challenge solely to PI. So in essence, you have 3 challenges a game. Being a spot foul and so subjective in nature, it has to be able to be challenged. I honestly wish it was not a spot foul. I like the college rule better. 15 yards.

Just give both teams one challenge per game in the 4th quarter for any officiating error. If you win your ref challenge you keep it and can challenge again until you lose one. 

Establish league hub like the NHL has that handles all challenges and reviews so the game refs are completely out of it. NHL has done it for years and it's clearly the best system in all of sports and every league should use it. 

Refs get graded extra harshly for 4th quarter fuckups and after a serious number of game effecting fuckups are automatically fired without possibility of appeal. 

This shit isn't that hard. Except the NFL wants to reserve the right to fix games.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, In10se said:

Just give both teams one challenge per game in the 4th quarter for any officiating error. If you win your ref challenge you keep it and can challenge again until you lose one. 

Establish league hub like the NHL has that handles all challenges and reviews so the game refs are completely out of it. NHL has done it for years and it's clearly the best system in all of sports and every league should use it. 

Refs get graded extra harshly for 4th quarter fuckups and after a serious number of game effecting fuckups are automatically fired without possibility of appeal. 

This shit isn't that hard. Except the NFL wants to reserve the right to fix games.  

I like this, but I just don't think there are enough qualified refs out there. We can fire refs left and right, but there is a possibility that these are the best the game has to offer.

Watching college football, the refs are sure as hell no better at that level.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why does the NFL not go to full time refs? Is it the nature of the game where it's only 16 games a year and once a week assignments?

They have full time players don't they?  I don't get why this big a business allows shit to be this sloppy.  Make em full time, sit their asses down in classes and practice sessions over and over and over and over and make them accountable to the media.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Why does the NFL not go to full time refs? Is it the nature of the game where it's only 16 games a year and once a week assignments?

With preseason and playoffs it’s more like 24 weeks of games per year. The league has a lot of full time employees. I’m sure they could find something productive for them to do those other 28 weeks.

22 minutes ago, In10se said:

Yeah, but you don't want a final Hail Mary heave to be challenged and then given a PI for the players jostling in the end zone to catch the ball.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Yeah, but you don't want a final Hail Mary heave to be challenged and then given a PI for the players jostling in the end zone to catch the ball.

Why not? If there's blatant enough pass interference to warrant the call then it should be called. 

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

I like this, but I just don't think there are enough qualified refs out there. We can fire refs left and right, but there is a possibility that these are the best the game has to offer.

Watching college football, the refs are sure as hell no better at that level.

You're probably right so leave off that last part but implement the first two. 

3 hours ago, GabrielsHorn said:

If that is correct I have almost zero doubt bias by that official and maybe others in the game caused the Saints to lose the game. 

Ironically it was the Rams that were bitching about keeping a ref out of that game all week before. 

Edited by In10se

5 hours ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Unfucking believable. The (as it shall now be known) "Fucking NFL" did the same thing to Dallas two years ago on the Dez Bryant catch. The Replay Official was a life long Steelers fan. He had to grow up hating the Cowboys.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

Having slept on it, I still have no doubt the fucking fix was in. 

That's pretty dumb...because had a fix been in they probably don't let it get to the point where the Saints have first and 10 in the red zone with a chance to run out the clock and win the game.  Unless you believe that they knew the series of plays that Payton was going to call from there.

Never ascribe to conspiracy that which can be explained by simple incompetence....

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I do. I think it's silly that rules don't apply in certain situations. Pass interference is pass interference.

What about holding? It happens every play, as they say, and NFL coaches could easily use this rule to negate any one big game-changing play by the opposing offense late in the game.

Just now, satyanash said:

What about holding? It happens every play, as they say, and NFL coaches could easily use this rule to negate any one big game-changing play by the opposing offense late in the game.

Fantastic. I hate holding, too. You keep making me more and more in favor of an idea that sounded terrible at first.

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Fantastic. I hate holding, too. You keep making me more and more in favor of an idea that sounded terrible at first.

This wouldn't actually get rid of holding, though. It still happens on every play, particularly in the interior of the line where the guards and center have to control the DTs to open up rushing lanes.

In essence, all this does is hand each coach one get out of jail free card; they can negate any one big play by the opposing offense late in the 4th. It would have disastrous consequences.

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I’m guessing the SB ratings will be down too. Nobody cares about the rams, people are tired of the pats and I can’t imagine maroon 5 does much for anyone on the fence. 

Maybe. NFL TV ratings saw a bounceback this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was reflected in the Super Bowl.

I also think a Brady-Brees Super Bowl would do better than this matchup.

8 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

Having slept on it, I still have no doubt the fucking fix was in. 

So the refs caused the Saints to botch the game from the beginning and then after the missed call? Was it a bad call? Sure. But this shit happens all the time in sports. Refs do not want to call these in those situations. Happens all the time. Refs swallow their whistles in basketball when it gets to nut cutting time.

Refs missed a blatant facemask on Goff the drive before that would have given the Rams 1st and goal at the 1. Punch it in and it's a 4pt lead. Instead they settled for 3.

There was no fix. Saints no calls against them the first 3 quarters. That game should have been put away early. They didn't.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 4:32 PM, Vic Mackey said:

So the refs caused the Saints to botch the game from the beginning and then after the missed call? Was it a bad call? Sure. But this shit happens all the time in sports. Refs do not want to call these in those situations. Happens all the time. Refs swallow their whistles in basketball when it gets to nut cutting time.

Refs missed a blatant facemask on Goff the drive before that would have given the Rams 1st and goal at the 1. Punch it in and it's a 4pt lead. Instead they settled for 3.

There was no fix. Saints no calls against them the first 3 quarters. That game should have been put away early. They didn't.

if the Saints would have ran the freaking ball after the pass to Ginn set them up at the 13 with 1:58 to go they could have ran off enough clock to make it very difficult for the Rams to score, even with 2 timeouts remaining. You don't need yards at that point for a FG attempt. It might be boring but you have a better chance to win the damn game which is all that matters.  But even if you are in the camp that says throwing in that situation is OK, that ball to Thomas may have been Brees' worst pass of the season. It was a 2 yard route and the ball was literally at Thomas' shoestrings. Hell he was lucky the pass to Ginn wasn't intercepted, it looked more like a punt.

Was the non-call a bad call? Sure it was, but it never should have come down to that 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

if the Saints would have ran the freaking ball after the pass to Ginn set them up at the 13 with 1:58 to go they could have ran off enough clock to make it very difficult for the Rams to score, even with 2 timeouts remaining. You don't need yards at that point for a FG attempt. It might be boring but you have a better chance to win the damn game which is all that matters.  But even if you are in the camp that says throwing in that situation is OK, that ball to Thomas may have been Brees' worst pass of the season. It was a 2 yard route and the ball was literally at Thomas' shoestrings. Hell he was lucky the pass to Ginn wasn't intercepted, it looked more like a punt.

Was the non-call a bad call? Sure it was, but it never should have come down to that 

Exactly. More questionable game management by Payton. There was no reason to pass the ball there. It was under 2 minutes, Rams only had 2 timeouts and all you needed was a FG to take the lead. Maybe some will say that is playing too conservative but it's the smart way to play. The goal there was to rid the Rams of their timeouts and take the lead. They only did one of those.

Saints took a page out of Dallas' playbook early in that game. Dominate the game in every facet yet the other team still has life. That game should have been 21-0 in the 1st. Then I am sure it unfolds differently. Saints never put the Rams away. Give a team enough life in the NFL and eventually they will find their way back in the game.

Not to mention, Brees got the ball first in OT. Don't throw a pick at midfield. Defense, don't let the Rams drive down to tie the game in regulation. Anyone who solely blames the refs for a loss like that is too narrow minded. There was 59min of football before and plenty of football after that call. 

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
17 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:
Good lord Sean Payton is a little bitch. At least Matt Patricia had the balls to wear the shirt out in the open. And by the way Sean, your shitty clock management cost your team the game

Saints misery is hilarious. Fuck them.

This. Quit acting like your team is the only team in history to get screwed by a bad call

• Like 1