This Saints Fan Did Not Take The Loss Well

Vic Mackey

7 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

First Super Bowl with two big ass asterisks. **

Yep.

It's the old NBA/Lakers shit all over again.

I really have no rooting interest at all in any of these matchups, but after watching that non PI call in the Saints game there's zero interest left in who wins the phony "championship" in a few weeks.

Well done NFL

• Like 3

Chiefs’ Chris Jones was called for roughing the passer for this, um, hit on Tom Brady

Even former NFL referee Gene Steratore said the officials got it wrong.

In the fourth quarter of Sunday’s AFC Championship Game, a Patriots drive was aided by a questionable roughing the passer call against Chiefs defensive lineman Chris Jones. 

Instead of third-and-7, the Patriots got a first down on a drive that ended with a touchdown.

Steratore, who works for CBS, admitted that was the wrong call

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article224848750.html

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Chiefs’ Chris Jones was called for roughing the passer for this, um, hit on Tom Brady

Even former NFL referee Gene Steratore said the officials got it wrong.

In the fourth quarter of Sunday’s AFC Championship Game, a Patriots drive was aided by a questionable roughing the passer call against Chiefs defensive lineman Chris Jones. 

Instead of third-and-7, the Patriots got a first down on a drive that ended with a touchdown.

Steratore, who works for CBS, admitted that was the wrong call

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article224848750.html

Mahomes got hit exactly the same way earlier in the game. Of course, he didn't get the call.

Brady is up there in the Rodgers tier of "if you breathe on him, we're throwing a flag".

Just now, Armybrat said:

Thanks Cajun for answering Vic, futureman, and smwhorn for me. That "roughing" penalty was totally bogus.

The roughing the passer was a terrible call.  It's a good thing that the refs made no bad calls against the Pats in that game.....oh wait, how bout that OPI pick play the Chiefs ran for a TD that went uncalled even though they called the Pats for OPI previously when it wasn't close to that bad.  How many times did Romo say, "the Chiefs got away with a hold their on the Pats WR or Berry was all over Gronk on that play and the refs should have called that.  The refs missed calls on both sides and I would say more against the Pats yesterday than for them but I appreciate your tears on this fantastic Monday.

Ummm one bad call is not an asterisk. If that is your reasoning, every game in the history of sports is an asterisk. Stop. That play was not to end the game. 

So if the call isn't made, it's 3rd and 7. Chiefs had no answer for the Pats. They converted three 3rd and 10s in OT alone. That game was nowhere near an asterisk.

Chiefs got the benefit of calls at the end to take the lead. Meh. People just hate New England.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Thanks Cajun for answering Vic, futureman, and smwhorn for me. That "roughing" penalty was totally bogus.

Sure but it doesn’t deserve an asterisk. Cheap roughing calls happen all the time and you can tell how the back judge would’ve thought there was contact to the head even if he shouldn’t have called it. Also, even if without that call, the Pats has time and more plays to win and likely would have. That play was not anywhere near the same level as the Saints play in terms of egregiousness or the impact on the outcome of the game.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

So I want to give the Rams/Cowboys game an asterisk now. The Dak "sack" was not even close to a sack. As the defender did not even have a a grasp of him. See, we can play this game all day long for every single game.

if the refs don’t blow that call the cowboys win!

People will affix asterisks to whatever events fit their narrative. Most games have at least one or two egregious calls.

Only the worst offenses will be remembered after a few years pass. The 2002 NBA WCF belongs in this category. The missed DPI against the Rams might, as well.  I doubt the bogus roughing the passer against KC will.

• Like 2

Also, the Saints took a 3pt lead after this call. Then their defense allows the Rams to drive down to tie the game. Saints get ball first in OT. They throw a pick.

They blew a 13pt lead at home and allowed the Rams to stay in this game due to their first 2 drives stalling.

I get it. The no call was terrible. But take care of business and you win the game. Resorting to saying the NFL is now rigged and that is why you lost? Stop. Saints had that game in control. Not one penalty was called on them for the first 3 quarters or so. Get over it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

People will affix asterisks to whatever events fit their narrative. Most games have at least one or two egregious calls.

Only the worst offenses will be remembered after a few years pass. The 2002 NBA WCF belongs in this category. The missed DPI against the Rams might, as well.  I doubt the bogus roughing the passer against KC will.

I’m no Mavs fan, but the 2006 series with Heat was criminal.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’m no Mavs fan, but the 2006 series with Heat was criminal.  

that’s been avenged.  shawn marion made queen lebron his little bitch boy.  wade is irrelevant without shaq or the other guy.  2006 is a forgotten blip. 

Edited by futureman

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Also, the Saints took a 3pt lead after this call. Then their defense allows the Rams to drive down to tie the game. Saints get ball first in OT. They throw a pick.

They blew a 13pt lead at home and allowed the Rams to stay in this game due to their first 2 drives stalling.

I get it. The no call was terrible. But take care of business and you win the game. Resorting to saying the NFL is now rigged and that is why you lost? Stop. Saints had that game in control. Not one penalty was called on them for the first 3 quarters or so. Get over it.

Nope, there's nothing to get over.  I don't care about the Saints or the Rams.  That call was just too fucking obvious.  NFL refs simply cannot make a mistake that bad at a moment like that and hope to have it brushed under the rug with all the rationalizations.

I'm not saying that it was planned or that the fix was in.  Shit was just too egregious to merit credibility moving forward.  

Sorry man.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

If the call is made, saints have first and goal.  They either score a td for a 7 point lead or kick a chip shot fg for a 3 point lead with under 5 seconds on the clock.  That call took the saints chances of winning from 99% to 75% (I'm making those 2 numbers up but they're pretty close I bet).

Sure the saints should have been able to close out a 75% chance but the fact remains they shouldn't have even had to.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

So I want to give the Rams/Cowboys game an asterisk now. The Dak "sack" was not even close to a sack. As the defender did not even have a a grasp of him. See, we can play this game all day long for every single game.

This game had a late dpi no call as well. Not as egregious but still obvious. Nobody cared because 1) cowboys haters are still in abundance despite 25 years of mediocrity, and 2) the rams were the much better team despite what the scoreboard showed. 

But Dallas had a chance to steal that game and that no-call really hampered that effort. 

56 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

So much happened after that play. The call in the saints game made the win probability for the saints go from 98% to right around 70%. But the refs will forever be the scapegoat in this situation. The saints blew this game. Hell, they even won the coin toss in OT. I get that they are locks to win if that call goes in their favor, but the saints had every opportunity to win that game (before and after that call). They choked a little bit 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

35 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This game had a late dpi no call as well. Not as egregious but still obvious. Nobody cared because 1) cowboys haters are still in abundance despite 25 years of mediocrity, and 2) the rams were the much better team despite what the scoreboard showed. 

But Dallas had a chance to steal that game and that no-call really hampered that effort. 

Saints took a 3pt lead after that call. Then got the ball in OT. Failed both times.

Saints misery is funny as fuck. Fuck them and New Orleans.

I am also really tired of the fake "live" reaction videos which are clearly after the fact replays. If you are a true fan watching the game winning kick happen- no matter which side you are rooting for, you are going to react a hell of a lot more than saying "yippie" and sort of bouncing on the balls of your feet.   and if you are on the losing end of the play your reaction will be visceral.... "fuck" "GD", "MFer" or some other gutteral sound- with the occasional item thrown, punched or primal scream.

Maybe it's the parent in me but following around and filming a visibly upset young kid is disturbing,  even if it is just a football game. They should put the fucking phone down and help him deal with it

The way he was tearing shit up, I would put the phone down and whip his ass. Especially if he put a hole in the Sheetrock with his elbow.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

Mahomes got hit exactly the same way earlier in the game. Of course, he didn't get the call.

Brady is up there in the Rodgers tier of "if you breathe on him, we're throwing a flag".

Actually Mahomes got hit across the helmet rather roughly and it wasn't called.  The Chiefs guy got nothing but Brady's shoulderpad and the flag was thrown. 

Just now, SpiralOut said:

Actually Mahomes got hit across the helmet rather roughly and it wasn't called.  The Chiefs guy got nothing but Brady's shoulderpad and the flag was thrown. 

Link to Mahomes getting hit on the helmet? If you're talking about the play I think you are, it looked like it in real time but on replay the arm came down on his shoulder.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Link to Mahomes getting hit on the helmet? If you're talking about the play I think you are, it looked like it in real time but on replay the arm came down on his shoulder.

No idea where a link would be, but it was in the first half and they showed Mahomes gesturing to the ref after the play wondering why there wasn't a flag.  From what I remember of the replay he clearly got smacked on the head.  It was when the Chiefs were backed up in their own red zone and they were forced to punt.

7 hours ago, Armybrat said:

not even close to an asterisk.  shitty call.  i can actually understand the call from where the flag came from.  still a shitty call.

not an asterisk though.