Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Yes, lets take random spares that didn't hack it at (for example) Louisville instead of a guy who they seem to think will step in and be valuable. This is smart roster management. 

you misunderstand me...i am not advocating for taking spares.  i do not like grad transfers at all unless it is a calvin anderson scenario.  wasting a spot on a grad transfer wr?  you think that's a better spare than a dline spare?  no chance.  hence, let's not waste spots on a grad transfer wrs.  i would rather take a potential juco dline transfer with a 50/50 shot of seeing the field.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

We need quality more than quantity. How many Texas-level OL and DL grad transfers are out there from year to year, and of those, how many will actually come here?? If we take a JUCO on OL and DL then a grad transfer OL, we'll be fine from a depth standpoint. 

Also, Tre Watson wasn't Heisman-caliber but we sure needed him this season. 

see above.  we are in agreement.  although we may be at a point now with our roster in which quantity may become a factor.

on watson...i'd say "ish."

point is unless juedy, sills, hollywood brown, giles are grad transfers...don't waste the spot.

5 minutes ago, sidis said:

but they take a spot.  imo, all grad transfer targets that aren't heisman candidates should be ol/dl unless there is a glaring depth need somewhere.

wr ain't it...even if cj and ljh leave, we need every defensive lineman that can shed one block a game at this point.

Duvernay

Moore

Eagles

Woodard

Pouncey

Those are the scholarship WRs coming back next year if CJ and LJH leave (assuming Burt isn't offered a shirt). We add the incoming class (Houston, Smith, Washington, Whittington), but tell me why an experienced one year player like Tre Watson wouldn't be good for this position group in your scenario?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sidis said:

great.  let's use a scholarship on a one-year wr instead of getting oline and dline which is such an insanely glaring problem right now.

good call, texas tech.

10 minutes ago, sidis said:

but they take a spot.  imo, all grad transfer targets that aren't heisman candidates should be ol/dl unless there is a glaring depth need somewhere.

wr ain't it...even if cj and ljh leave, we need every defensive lineman that can shed one block a game at this point.

1) It's not an either or proposition. It's not like we're ignoring OL/DL to take a WR

2) As I mentioned a few posts above your whiny uninformed post, we will have plenty of scholarships available. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

you misunderstand me...i am not advocating for taking spares.  i do not like grad transfers at all unless it is a calvin anderson scenario.  wasting a spot on a grad transfer wr?  you think that's a better spare than a dline spare?  no chance.  hence, let's not waste spots on a grad transfer wrs.  i would rather take a potential juco dline transfer with a 50/50 shot of seeing the field.

see above.  we are in agreement.  although we may be at a point now with our roster in which quantity may become a factor.

on watson...i'd say "ish."

point is unless juedy, sills, hollywood brown, giles are grad transfers...don't waste the spot.

This is a retarded take, guys like the ones you listed are never going to be grad transfers, we should absolutely take any grad transfer we think can help the team at all regardless of position. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Duvernay

Moore

Eagles

Woodard

Pouncey

Those are the scholarship WRs coming back next year if CJ and LJH leave (assuming Burt isn't offered a shirt). We add the incoming class (Houston, Smith, Washington, Whittington), but tell me why an experienced one year player like Tre Watson wouldn't be good for this position group in your scenario? 

if bru gets added to that, that's 10 4 star and up wrs on the roster.  plenty.  particularly when the math is such that after losing graduation, we will have 8 dlinemen total (that are either redshirting this year or aren't good enough to beat out breckyn fucking hager) plus currently 2 projects in the recruiting class. 

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

1) It's not an either or proposition. It's not like we're ignoring OL/DL to take a WR

2) As I mentioned a few posts above your whiny uninformed post, we will have plenty of scholarships available. 

with a constraint on scholarships (no matter the number), it is always an either/or.  it always amuses me that the same dipshits that accuse posts of being whiny and uninformed like the above are always the same dipshits who are hysterical and confounded on the game thread as to why garbage teams like oklahoma state and the likes of west virginia are gutting us for 10 yards a carry on the ground when we haven't had an actual dominant defensive lineman since malcolm brown.

1 minute ago, bEastTexas said:

This is a retarded take, guys like the ones you listed are never going to be grad transfers, we should absolutely take any grad transfer we think can help the team at all regardless of position.  

no shit?  really?  those guys aren't going to be grad transfers?  hmmm.  seems like a good point.  so what type of guys are going to be wr grad transfers?  finish off the thought.

no shit?  really?  those guys aren't going to be grad transfers?  hmmm.  seems like a good point.  so what type of guys are going to be wr grad transfers?  finish off the thought.

There's usually one or two actually good grad transfers at every position each year - guys like Tabari Hines or Calvin Anderson that excelled at a small school and want an NFL look, or a Tre Watson with a bad depth chart at their current school. You're being a bit obtuse - you should take any grad transfer that makes you better if you have the scholarship space and especially if you have maxed out your ability to take high schoolers/JUCOs like we almost certainly will this year.

Edited by texifornia

if bru gets added to that, that's 10 4 star and up wrs on the roster.  plenty.  particularly when the math is such that after losing graduation, we will have 8 dlinemen total (that are either redshirting this year or aren't good enough to beat out breckyn fucking hager) plus currently 2 projects in the recruiting class. 

with a constraint on scholarships (no matter the number), it is always an either/or.  it always amuses me that the same dipshits that accuse posts of being whiny and uninformed like the above are always the same dipshits who are hysterical and confounded on the game thread as to why garbage teams like oklahoma state and the likes of west virginia are gutting us for 10 yards a carry on the ground when we haven't had an actual dominant defensive lineman since malcolm brown.

There is not a constraint on scholarships, dumbass. That is the point that you're not understanding.

If you want to bitch about the state of OL/DL recruiting independent of the grad transfer, there is certainly merit to that. But that's not what you're doing, is it? You connecting your frustration about OL/DL recruiting to a decision to take on a grad transfer WR who will be on the roster for one or two years max, which is fucking stupid and the reason that so many posters have pointed out your impossible stupidity.

Take a break from posting to clean the shit out of your brain.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, sidis said:

If the WR is good enough to help, then we'll take him. Same thing goes for every other position. We'll have room if we also want to take a DL and OL. 

10 minutes ago, sidis said:

oklahoma state and the likes of west virginia are gutting us for 10 yards a carry on the ground when we haven't had an actual dominant defensive lineman since malcolm brown.

Malcolm Brown is a running back.

Malcom Brown is a defensive tackle.

Malcom Browns cannot be found in the grad transfer market.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Atticus said:

So every receiver that isn’t an all-American level player at their current school is garbage?
I’d like to say you’re better than this, but I’m honestly not sure. 

no.  with no sarcasm, my point is that given our current inventory of wrs (and tom's solid success record with recruiting wrs annually) and those that are being added, it makes little sense to use 1/85 for a middling grad transfer at wr who would likely never see the field instead of using it on even a 50/50 project juco dt or grad transfer dt who could provide depth or even surprise and be an impact player.  wr is a unique position in football.  impact guys who "can help us" aren't grad transfers generally. 

with sarcasm, i surely hope that i can convince you that i am better than this and worthy of your endorsement.

Edited by sidis

There is not a constraint on scholarships, dumbass. That is the point that you're not understanding.

If you want to bitch about the state of OL/DL recruiting independent of the grad transfer, there is certainly merit to that. But that's not what you're doing, is it? You connecting your frustration about OL/DL recruiting to a decision to take on a grad transfer WR who will be on the roster for one or two years max, which is fucking stupid and the reason that so many posters have pointed out your impossible stupidity.

Take a break from posting to clean the shit out of your brain. 

compelling post.  particularly the part about cleaning shit from a brain as well as having an 85 scholarship limit not being a constraint on scholarships.

you've completely convinced me.  let's use 1/85 on a wr we don't need and not instead use it on a dlinemen. 

it has nothing to do with the 25 counter...i can't believe there are still people arguing that.

Just now, sidis said:

compelling post.  particularly the part about cleaning shit from a brain as well as having an 85 scholarship limit not being a constraint on scholarships.

you've completely convinced me.  let's use 1/85 on a wr we don't need and not instead use it on a dlinemen. 

it has nothing to do with the 25 counter...i can't believe there are still people arguing that.

Fuckhead - we are not going to have 85 scholarship players next year. Taking a grad transfer WR who will be here for one year is the equivalent to giving a scholarship to a walk-on. It's a no lose situation. Fuck you're stupid.

• Like 6

Guys, everybody knows the only way to improve your team is OL/DL. There is no other way. It's simply not possible to improve your team through the acquisition of new talent unless it is on OL/DL. There might be grad transfers better than our skill position players, but they won't help us win games. 

Tre Watson was such a waste of a scholarship. It would have been much better to add a nonfactor on the OL and rely on Toneil Carter and Kirk Johnson this year.

Hell, just look at the Saints. Their WRs were young and unproductive, like ours might be next year, so they made sure to add a premiere. That's why they signed lineman Dez Bryant.

Plus you're all forgetting how easy it is to add impact OL/DL grad transfers. So just stop with all the reasoned arguments and admit sidis is right.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sidis said:

no.  with no sarcasm, my point is that given our current inventory of wrs (and tom's solid success record with recruiting wrs annually) and those that are being added, it makes little sense to use 1/85 for a middling grad transfer at wr who would likely never see the field instead of using it on even a 50/50 project juco dt or grad transfer dt who could provide depth or even surprise and be an impact player.  wr is a unique position in football.  impact guys who "can help us" aren't grad transfers generally. 

with sarcasm, i surely hope that i can convince you that i am better than this and worthy of your endorsement.

The other merits of your argument aside, I merely said that a grad transfer is on the horizon. Not a certainty.

Obviously the staff is going to let things play out to get clarity on the WR room before making any actual moves. Should we fault the staff for doing their due diligence?

Edited by Machinator

Just now, irishtexan said:

Fuckhead - we are not going to have 85 scholarship players next year. Taking a grad transfer WR who will be here for one year is the equivalent to giving a scholarship to a walk-on. It's a no lose situation. Fuck you're stupid. 

it is absolutely amazing to me that despite me spending a substantial amount of time attempting to explain this to you in the most basic terms, you still do not understand.

read your second sentence.  replace wr with dl all the way up to 85 in the context of what is needed.

now take a step back and think clearly instead of emotionally. 

my god, overly emotional beings like ctj and co. has turned this board into a dumber fucking collection of shrieking than the politics board.  christ.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

But for real, @sidis can you even name a OL/DL that you would like to add? Your entire point is mute unless you can provide some names. I think a guy like Jalen McCleskey would be quite nice for us next year. 

it's mute is it?

okay, deng, graves, olasenie, porter.

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

it is absolutely amazing to me that despite me spending a substantial amount of time attempting to explain this to you in the most basic terms, you still do not understand.

read your second sentence.  replace wr with dl all the way up to 85 in the context of what is needed.

my god, overly emotional beings like ctj and co. has turned this board into a dumber fucking collection of shrieking than the politics board.  christ.

For my own understanding, because I am admittedly slow - you're advocating That Texas should offer/sign every grad-transfer DL that is available up to the 85 scholarship limit?

6 minutes ago, sidis said:

We are likely to be around 80 scholarships assuming attrition of 8-9 players and a max class of 28. So that leaves 5 openings for grad transfers. We scoured the goddamn planet for OL and DL grad transfers last year and were able to land two, one of which medically retired and will not play a down. So please, enlighten us. Who are the 5 OL/DL grad transfers that you'd like to us to bring on and who will certainly choose to come to Texas and not another school. Name them. 

Edited by irishtexan

Just now, irishtexan said:

We are likely to be around 80 scholarships assuming attrition of 8-9 players. So that leaves 5 openings for grad transfers. We scoured the goddamn planet for grad transfers last year and were able to land two, one of which medically retired and will not play a down. So please, enlighten us. Who are the 5 OL/DL grad transfers that you'd like to us to bring on and who will certainly choose to come to Texas and not another school. Name them. 

Grandy was a JUCO, not a grad transfer. But your point stands.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

For my own understanding, because I am admittedly slow - you're advocating That Texas should offer/sign every grad-transfer DL that is available up to the 85 scholarship limit? 

reductio ad absurdum.

no.  we should maximize the scholarships we have to be a well-balanced team with depth at every position.  in our current roster paradigm, if there are a few marginal scholarships not being otherwise utilized and given our current and presumed future inventory at wr/dl, as well as the relative importance of dl to success on the field, i would prefer to use those marginal scholarships on dline instead of a wr unless it is an impact guy (which as some genius up there pointed out, there generally is no such thing at wr).

We are likely to be around 80 scholarships assuming attrition of 8-9 players and a max class of 28. So that leaves 5 openings for grad transfers. We scoured the goddamn planet for OL and DL grad transfers last year and were able to land two, one of which medically retired and will not play a down. So please, enlighten us. Who are the 5 OL/DL grad transfers that you'd like to us to bring on and who will certainly choose to come to Texas and not another school. Name them.  

naturally, most of them have not revealed themselves yet.  hence, this is a silly question to pose now.

alright, i'm calling it a day on this nonsense.  in sincerity, here's hoping that the magical grad transfer wr is actually an andre johnson or calvin johnson who simply hasn't been provided the right opportunity yet and will come in and score 2 tds a game for us.

16 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Guys, everybody knows the only way to improve your team is OL/DL. There is no other way. It's simply not possible to improve your team through the acquisition of new talent unless it is on OL/DL. There might be grad transfers better than our skill position players, but they won't help us win games. 

Tre Watson was such a waste of a scholarship. It would have been much better to add a nonfactor on the OL and rely on Toneil Carter and Kirk Johnson this year.

Hell, just look at the Saints. Their WRs were young and unproductive, like ours might be next year, so they made sure to add a premiere. That's why they signed lineman Dez Bryant.

Plus you're all forgetting how easy it is to add impact OL/DL grad transfers. So just stop with all the reasoned arguments and admit sidis is right.

sorry, missed this one.

what's the difference between this guy's talent acquisition approach on dline...

UIBLELQUKKEINWX.20130702223432.jpg?width

to these two guys?

saban.jpg?width=300LKXWJSYXGOKVELA.20130501150036.jpg

okay.

1Ih03G.gif

• Like 1

naturally, most of them have not revealed themselves yet.  hence, this is a silly question to pose now.
alright, i'm calling it a day on this nonsense.  in sincerity, here's hoping that the magical grad transfer wr is actually an andre johnson or calvin johnson who simply hasn't been provided the right opportunity yet and will come in and score 2 tds a game for us.

Don’t give up sidis...you against the board and you are close to convincing them signing and dl/ol is the way to go. Never give up, don’t ever give up.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

Thank fucking God, take your bullshit back to the football board and don’t come back. 

6 minutes ago, sidis said:

He's probably going to be something like the WR version of Tre Watson (if it happens). And that's just fine.

11 minutes ago, sidis said:

Ok then. Name one. Not this year. Name any single impact DL ever that meets your qualifications as a grad transfer. Please share your genius (although I'm afraid that's what you're doing...did futureman get a sock?) Having trouble? That's because those players go to the NFL, not another school. Are you also upset that Herman didn't get Deshaun Watson to grad transfer here to play his last year and fix our QB situation? He graduated and was clearly ready to leave Clemson...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Ok then. Name one. Not this year. Name any single impact DL ever that meets your qualifications as a grad transfer. Please share your genius (although I'm afraid that's what you're doing...did futureman get a sock?) Having trouble? That's because those players go to the NFL, not another school. Are you also upset that Herman didn't get Deshaun Watson to grad transfer here to play his last year and fix our QB situation? He graduated and was clearly ready to leave Clemson... 

don't do it, don't do it...god damnit.

the fact that you ask this question this week of all weeks, after last weekend's opponent and our inability to convert 3rd/4th and short is admittedly too amusing to pass up...

particularly when they were 6-6 last year and are sitting at 7-1 right now.  probably has nothing to do with going from being 106 in total defense last year to 48 right now.  and that probably has nothing to do with their 2 starting dts being grad transfers from clemson and usc.

Edited by sidis
  • Like 1

don't do it, don't do it...god damnit.

the fact that you ask this question this week of all weeks, after last weekend's opponent and our inability to convert 3rd/4th and short is admittedly too amusing to pass up...

particularly when they were 6-6 last year and are sitting at 7-1 right now.  probably has nothing to do with going from being 106 in total defense last year to 48 right now.  and that probably has nothing to do with their 2 starting dts being grad transfers from clemson and usc.

I assume you're referencing Bigelow, who was awarded a 6th season of eligibility late and apparently wasn't asked back by USC due to numbers. He's got all of 2 sacks and 20 tackles on the year. His play last week wasn't a big component of the game like you're implying (1 solo and 1 assist). He had a fair first game against Tennessee and then performed exactly like all of the lineman you are currently bitching about and want to replace. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

Wait, do grad transfers count against the 85 scholarship limit? Does anyone know? 

yes, kind of.  they absolutely do count against the 85 but the limit is unaffected.  it does affect the 25, though not directly.  the limit of 25 remains the same.  

4 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I assume you're referencing Bigelow, who was awarded a 6th season of eligibility late and apparently wasn't asked back by USC due to numbers. He's got all of 2 sacks and 20 tackles on the year. His play last week wasn't a big component of the game like you're implying (1 solo and 1 assist). He had a fair first game against Tennessee and then performed exactly like all of the lineman you are currently bitching about and want to replace. 

Keep searching...

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

we have 61 scholarship players on the roster potentially coming back excluding Grandy. That's 24 open spots without attrition. We will easily see 4 players leave early for the draft, transfer, medically retire, etc.

Thanks.... 61 huh??

What's the best source for the total current numbers of Scholly players on the Roster by Classification?? 

Here's Senior List pulled from Texassports.com

1 John Burt WR 6-3 195 Sr.
2 Kris Boyd DB 6-0 195 Sr.
11 P.J. Locke III DB 5-11 210 Sr.
13 Jerrod Heard WR 6-2 205 Sr.
18 Davante Davis DB 6-2 205 Sr.
24 Jarmarquis Durst DB 6-1 200Sr. 
31 Kyle Hrncir LB 6-2 225 Sr.
33 Gary Johnson LB 6-0 230 Sr.
33 Tim Yoder RB 5-9 190 Sr.
44 Breckyn Hager DL 6-3 255 Sr.
45 Anthony Wheeler LB 6-3 235 Sr.
47 Andrew Beck TE 6-3 255 Sr.
49 Joshua Rowland K 5-10 210Sr. 
53 Jak Holbrook DS 5-11 205 Sr.
69 Austin Allsup OL 6-3 295 Sr.
72 Elijah Rodriguez OL 6-5 305 Sr.
77 Patrick Vahe OL 6-3 325 Sr.
85 Philipp Moeller WR 5-11 185Sr.
89 Chris Fehr TE 6-3 230 Sr.
90 Charles Omenihu DL 6-6 275Sr.
91 Jamari Chisholm DL 6-4 300Sr. 
97 Chris Nelson DL 6-1 315 Sr.
5 Tre Watson RB 5-11 195 Gr.TR 
66 CalvinAnderson OL 6-5 300 Gr.TR

24 Total

Burt & Chisholm might Redshirt

Think 5 of Seniors are Not on Scholly?

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Thanks.... 61 huh??

What's the best source for the total current numbers of Scholly players on the Roster by Classification?? 

Here's list pulled from Texassports.com

1 John Burt WR 6-3 195 Sr.
2 Kris Boyd DB 6-0 195 Sr.
11 P.J. Locke III DB 5-11 210 Sr.
13 Jerrod Heard WR 6-2 205 Sr.
18 Davante Davis DB 6-2 205 Sr.
24 Jarmarquis Durst DB 6-1 200Sr. 
31 Kyle Hrncir LB 6-2 225 Sr.
33 Gary Johnson LB 6-0 230 Sr.
33 Tim Yoder RB 5-9 190 Sr.
44 Breckyn Hager DL 6-3 255 Sr.
45 Anthony Wheeler LB 6-3 235 Sr.
47 Andrew Beck TE 6-3 255 Sr.
49 Joshua Rowland K 5-10 210Sr. 
53 Jak Holbrook DS 5-11 205 Sr.
69 Austin Allsup OL 6-3 295 Sr.
72 Elijah Rodriguez OL 6-5 305 Sr.
77 Patrick Vahe OL 6-3 325 Sr.
85 Philipp Moeller WR 5-11 185Sr.
89 Chris Fehr TE 6-3 230 Sr.
90 Charles Omenihu DL 6-6 275Sr.
91 Jamari Chisholm DL 6-4 300Sr. 
97 Chris Nelson DL 6-1 315 Sr.
5 Tre Watson RB 5-11 195 Gr.TR 
66 CalvinAnderson OL 6-5 300 Gr.TR

24 Total

Burt & Chisholm might Redshirt

Think 5 are Not on Scholly?

Burt is a 2 sport guy. Would he RS track also?