Texas recruiting notes 2019

10 hours ago, nozatx said:

I was stunned when UT offered Hager as a LB.  All he ever did at Westlake was run around the tackle and crash the QB and he wasn't big enough to be a college DL.   That Westlake team had two decent high school LBers, and he wasn't one of them.

dude had some *huge* gains in the weightroom from freshman year and again under McKnight. 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

Wells on class numbers:

Hide contents

Texas basically has 7-8 spots left. They want to be judicious as possible, especially since they look great for Bru McCoy, who will start out at WR if he picks UT.

Bru

Hookfin

Lewis

Warren

Cain

one more Juco OlL and DL? 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

Wells on class numbers:

Hide contents

Texas basically has 7-8 spots left. They want to be judicious as possible, especially since they look great for Bru McCoy, who will start out at WR if he picks UT.

Hoping those 8 are bru McCoy plus 7 d linemen and linebackers 

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Wasn't there another OL (not Hookfin) that we were looking at to play interior? I think he was an OSU commit or something. Believe CTJ hinted at him and then his name came up a couple times but I can't remember it

Preston Wilson, haven't heard anything about him lately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Powell might have grabbed his spot.

the IT guys have Catalon at like 60% (EN) and 50% (JW) but have been pushing that they are recruiting him hard because of his skillset 

Wells:

Spoiler

I’ll go 50%.

Spoke to him the other day. He’s taking an OV to Austin in December.

If Texas can’t concince him of why Austin is his best possible spot, then they don’t deserve him

Nahlin on how hard they are recruiting him on a 1-10 scale:

Spoiler

9-10.

They need to emphasize playing time and opportunity. As you note he has a much needed skill set. They also need to win over his parents. It's possible he could play as a true freshman but not likely that he'd start.

I have him at 60% to Texas but I'm on an island predicting him to UT.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Wasn't there another OL (not Hookfin) that we were looking at to play interior? I think he was an OSU commit or something. Believe CTJ hinted at him and then his name came up a couple times but I can't remember it

Maybe Myron Cunningham??

https://247sports.com/player/myron-cunningham-46058777/

Best case scenario I can think of right now adding:

Lewis WR

Hookfin OL

Cunningham JUCO OL

Johnson JUCO LB

Catalon DB

Warren DE

Sanders RB

McCoy WR

that gets you to 290.01(probably good for 4-5 final ranking)

sub out Sanders for Cain and it gets you 286.01(probably 6-8) 

Edited by bEastTexas
  • Like 1

Wells on Class Numbers:

"Texas basically has 7-8 spots left. They want to be judicious as possible, especially since they look great for Bru McCoy, who will start out at WR if he picks UT."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Still trying to figure how 28 spots might be available for 2018 Recruiting Class (20 Commits + 8 Spots)

1) Likely Transfers:  Shane, Porter, Toneil

2) Early Jr's Leave: Collin?, LJH, B.Jones?

3) Other Attrition & Medical......

4) Seniors-- Not sure how many Seniors are currently on Scholarship.... 

(Medical losses are Grandy and possibly Hudson.)

How many spots will be available due to graduation, medical retirement, and current vacant roster slots??

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wells on Class Numbers:

"Texas basically has 7-8 spots left. They want to be judicious as possible, especially since they look great for Bru McCoy, who will start out at WR if he picks UT."

Still trying to figure how 28 spots might be available for 2018 Recruiting Class (20 Commits + 8 Spots)

How many spots will be available due to graduation, medical retirement, and current vacant roster slots??

What is B.Jones' legitimate draft stock. I can't imagine it being that great, especially the way things have been going as of late...

What is B.Jones' legitimate draft stock. I can't imagine it being that great, especially the way things have been going as of late...

Same. Plus he’s already missed 3 games this season right? Or maybe just 2. Less film. And the okie state game film isn’t great. I don’t see him leaving.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wells on Class Numbers:

we have 61 scholarship players on the roster potentially coming back excluding Grandy. That's 24 open spots without attrition. We will easily see 4 players leave early for the draft, transfer, medically retire, etc.

41 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

and Cain is sitting there saying " i dont want to be in a 3 RB class" when my 2 main choices have 2 RB commits?  have fun with that son.

Knowing how Drayton operates, he’ll probably tell the running backs where they each rank in his evaluations and let things sort themselves out. The ranking will be:

1) Sanders; 2) Cain; and 3) Brown. 

Cain already knows Drayton has him behind Sanders. His interest in Texas may mean Cain knows we aren’t getting Sanders. It may also mean that we’re getting Sanders, but Cain is comfortable knowing he’s rated above Brown in a three man class. I doubt LSU is being that transparent. 

Edited by Chili dog

32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Super K also mentioned that there's a WR grad transfer prospect on the horizon for Texas.

great.  let's use a scholarship on a one-year wr instead of getting oline and dline which is such an insanely glaring problem right now.

good call, texas tech.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Machinator said:

Grad transfers don't count against the 25-man counter. 

but they take a spot.  imo, all grad transfer targets that aren't heisman candidates should be ol/dl unless there is a glaring depth need somewhere.

wr ain't it...even if cj and ljh leave, we need every defensive lineman that can shed one block a game at this point.

1 minute ago, sidis said:

but they take a spot.  imo, all grad transfer targets that aren't heisman candidates should be ol/dl unless there is a glaring depth need somewhere.

wr ain't it...even if cj and ljh leave, we need every defensive lineman that can shed one block a game at this point.

We need quality more than quantity. How many Texas-level OL and DL grad transfers are out there from year to year, and of those, how many will actually come here?? If we take a JUCO on OL and DL then a grad transfer OL, we'll be fine from a depth standpoint.

Also, Tre Watson wasn't Heisman-caliber but we sure needed him this season.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sidis said:

Yes, lets take random spares that didn't hack it at (for example) Louisville instead of a guy who they seem to think will step in and be valuable. This is smart roster management.