Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

49 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

Wilson was Ohio State from the beginning to the end of his recruitment. Who cares...receivers are easy to find replacements for.

Uhh didn't Wilson say he would've committed to us last year if our offense was garbage? 

E: I mean he didn't use those words but I remember that being the sentiment. Hardly tOSU from beginning to end. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

Uhh didn't Wilson say he would've committed to us last year if our offense was garbage? 
E: I mean he didn't use those words but I remember that being the sentiment. Hardly tOSU from beginning to end. 

So, he would’ve committed to us if our O was garbage? Totally rational...I guess.

1 hour ago, Tree Fidy said:

Wilson was Ohio State from the beginning to the end of his recruitment. Who cares...receivers are easy to find replacements for.

Uh. I care.  We don't need receivers. We need difference making receivers.  

Not only do I care but Herman cares.  

Let’s just move on from Wilson.  Urban negative recruited us and the kid drank the kool aid.  He’s gone out of his way to bad mouth us to other recruits.  He’s completely bought into the myth that Herman is the bad guy and got his position coach fired along with getting Urban suspended.  

Let’s just move on from Wilson.  Urban negative recruited us and the kid drank the kool aid.  He’s gone out of his way to bad mouth us to other recruits.  He’s completely bought into the myth that Herman is the bad guy and got his position coach fired along with getting Urban suspended.  

He’s still a bitch
  • Like 1

Receivers are not our problem. We keep forgetting about Woodward and especially Epps, I think he’s gonna be a helluva dude. Plus this class of receivers.  

With that being said I think our next class with be a lot smaller 17-20 range with more bulk than speed. 

Yep and he favorited the tweet Zach smith put up a couple of weeks ago saying he was innocent and charges dropped lol.

8 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

his interest was legit at the outset. but i can say without a doubt now that he is not interested in Texas at all anymore. 

We played a small part in getting his creepy wife-beating, dildo-buying position coach fired and he's going down with THAT ship. I was dumb when I was 17 but I wasn't that dumb.

• Like 2

I have been following Texas recruiting for a little over ten years. I am young so I might lack the wisdom of some of you but I have noticed something interesting that has happened. At some point the thought process changed when it comes to “writing off players”. I remember a player could be a 3-4 star ranked player, a junior, and have little playing time and he was still in the conversation of contributing. Now it seems like if someone doesn’t start as a freshman or redshirts then he must only not be good enough to ever start but also won’t add depth. I realize this is a getoffmylawn sounding post but it’s quite a different change of perception. Lastly, if you disagree then do what others do and believe I was stoopid high when I wrote this...cause of my UN and all. 

• Like 4

I have been following Texas recruiting for a little over ten years. I am young so I might lack the wisdom of some of you but I have noticed something interesting that has happened. At some point the thought process changed when it comes to “writing off players”. I remember a player could be a 3-4 star ranked player, a junior, and have little playing time and he was still in the conversation of contributing. Now it seems like if someone doesn’t start as a freshman or redshirts then he must only not be good enough to ever start but also won’t add depth. I realize this is a getoffmylawn sounding post but it’s quite a different change of perception. Lastly, if you disagree then do what others do and believe I was stoopid high when I wrote this...cause of my UN and all. 

It’s not whether or not you start as a freshman. It’s whether or not younger guys pass you on the depth chart and take your place if you’re not already starting. You can’t run third string behind a starter and a kid younger than you.
  • Like 2

The Stampede: Scoop on California recruits, weekend visitors

Bru McCoy is nearing a decision. The five-star athlete out of Mater Dei (Calif.) will announce his commitment in December or January and is making his final visits of the cycle. While many have pegged him to stay close to home and play for USC, Texas has remained a consistent player and is arguably the biggest threat to pull him away from the West Coast. “We feel Texas offers everything we are looking for,” said McCoy’s mother, Shelby. “Great education, great football team, great staff, great city and great tradition. It’s the total package.”

Shelby also made it clear that going out-of-state is something the family is completely comfortable with. “With the process coming to an end, Bru is extremely high on Texas,” she said. “We are not worried about him going out-of-state. I feel like it’s really important to experience different places.” McCoy made an official visit to Texas in September and watched the Longhorns pick up a marquee victory over USC. It was there where the family got an in-depth look at the program and really connected with the UT staff.

While McCoy is in the process of making his final official visits, a trip back to the Forty Acres is also in the works. “We want to get back to Austin to make sure Bru is comfortable and has all his questions answered,” Shelby said. Texas head coach Tom Herman has been more involved in McCoy’s recruitment as of late, and wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer flew out to California to see him in action during the bye week.

Shelby said both Herman and Mehringer, as well as the rest of the Texas staff, have done a tremendous job of recruiting the family. “The coaching staff is continuing to build a strong relationship with Bru and with my husband and I,” she said. “Coach Mehringer was out two weeks ago to watch Bru play and reiterated how important he is to Texas. It really meant a lot to see him. We love Tom Herman’s energy and the relationships he builds with the boys.”

Along with Texas and USC, McCoy is still strongly considering Oklahoma and Washington. At 6-foot-2, 212 pounds, McCoy is ranked as the No. 1 athlete in the country and No. 9 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

I made my way out to California this weekend to check out some of UT’s top targets out West. Here are some tidbits.

— Let’s go ahead and start with the aforementioned McCoy. I put my Crystal Ball pick in for the Longhorns for a reason. As Shelby mentioned above, the family loves the program and the coaching staff, and they are growing more and more comfortable sending him away from home. If Texas does in fact get him back on campus, my confidence will only grow. After all, the McCoy family would be paying their own way, which shows just how much of a threat Texas really is to USC.

— There are a couple of things that give me pause with McCoy. Obviously, USC has been the team to beat in his recruitment forever, his former quarterback, JT Daniels, starts for the Trojans and the USC campus is a short drive from his home. While I think Texas has the momentum right now, USC will likely receive his final official visit, which will make it even harder for him to turn down the Trojans. Still, Texas has done an amazing job over the last several months, and it doesn’t appear that Clay Helton is getting the job done on the field, which raises stability questions.

— So what are the chances that Texas makes a statement and wins over McCoy? I would say it’s still 50-50 right now. I disagree with everyone that thinks he’s a lock to end up at USC. McCoy’s parents genuinely love Texas as Shelby went as far as to call it ‘the total package.’ That unofficial visit is still in the works as well, and Tom Herman can provide stability, which as mentioned, is in question at USC. I also feel like Texas commit De’Gabriel Floyd is playing a role here both as a recruiter and an example of an elite Los Angeles kid carving his own path and taking his talents to Austin. Remember, they are good friends.

— One of UT’s top remaining priorities is JUCO inside linebacker Caleb Johnson. While some hyped up his Arkansas visit, I still don’t see the Razorbacks as a huge threat here. In fact, Johnson told me that Texas is still his leader and that he plans to make a commitment before the end of the month. After spending extended time with Johnson out in California, I feel more confident than ever that the Longhorns will close and earn a commitment from him. Remember, Johnson will have three years of eligibility remaining.

— So what about Oregon? Yes, I still feel like if there is a school that can steal Johnson away from Texas late, it’s Oregon. But as I reported last week, Texas is making him the bigger priority as Oregon has several linebackers committed. Johnson is originally from California and grew up liking the Oregon program, but Texas really blew him away on his official visit, and it’s not a for sure that he’ll make an OV to Eugene. Johnson told me he’s still trying to decide between Oregon and Nebraska for his last trip.

— There might not be too much to it, but it is worth noting that four-star Texas defensive back commit Chris Adimora is planning to make an official visit to Arizona State this weekend. Adimora is also looking at taking a couple of other visits, so it looks like Texas will need to keep recruiting him hard ahead of the early signing period. Adimora did tell me that he is locked in, but visits are always a reason for slight concern.

— There is nothing to worry about with four-star Texas linebacker commit De’Gabriel Floyd. He has been the face of the class and is continuing to work on guys like Johnson and McCoy. Floyd is looking to make it back to campus before the end of the season and is set to sign and enroll early.

— Five-star 2020 Mater Dei (Calif.) cornerback Elias Ricks has been keeping in close contact with Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington. He plans to visit both Oklahoma and Texas before the end of the season and is really excited to get his first look at Austin. Ricks has family in Dallas and has legitimate interest in playing college football away from home.

Texas hosted several recruits for its huge matchup with West Virginia this weekend. Here are some nuggets.

— Elite IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cain is still on campus as you are reading this, but Texas made a huge impact this weekend. Cain and his family arrived on Saturday and got an in-depth look at the campus and program before taking in the game. Sunday was more about relationships. Cain got to spend some quality time with the staff and really connected with Stan Drayton, Bryan Carrington and others. Cain will have his final meeting with Tom Herman today.

— I am close to switching my Crystal Ball for Cain from LSU to Texas. We are still hearing that John Emery is trending to the Tigers, and Cain doesn’t want to be part of a three-back class. While Trey Sanders is still a big fish, Cain seems like the safer bet. Remember, his family lives in Dallas, and he’s always had an affinity for the program. Penn State is also in a great position, but Texas made some waves this weekend. We will have more on Cain after his visit.

— The other official visitor on campus this weekend was four-star Austin Bowie wide receiver Elijah Higgins, who wrapped up his visit on Sunday. Texas has done a nice job rising back up the list for Higgins. He really likes the program and the way the offense is producing this season. The staff has pitched him as the next Lil'Jordan Humphrey, which definitely has his attention. So did Texas do enough this weekend? I don’t think so. There is a slight chance Texas can still win him over before he makes his decision, but as of today, I would still give the edge to Stanford. Higgins sees a valuable opportunity away from home and an education that may be too good to pass up. Texas still has work to do after this trip.

—Could Texas be close to picking up one (or two) commits soon? It’s very much a possibility. Texas once again hosted Melissa wide receiver Kennedy Lewis this weekend. With Higgins looking unlikely at this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if Lewis shuts things down in the near future. He’s visited Texas twice in the last few weeks and sees himself as a fit in Austin. Texas also put an offer on the table for rising offensive lineman Isaiah Hookfin. The Longhorns are in the pole position after the weekend and will push to seal the deal.

— One of the biggest storylines coming out of the weekend was the surprise visit of four-star Spring Dekaney cornerback Marcus Banks. The ex-LSU commit has always had a strong relationship with Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington, and the two have maintained contact over the last few months. While things are still preliminary here, you have to keep in mind that Texas was the favorite early in the cycle and that Banks isn’t making a new decision until January. Texas appeared to be done at corner, but Banks was a priority target in the spring, and his renewed interest has the Longhorns intrigued. By the way, I’m told Banks’ mother loves the program and would love to see her son in Austin.

— Will the recruitment of Banks have any ripple effects on the state of the cornerback class? Marques Caldwell is locked in and not going anywhere. But the Banks visit has given Kenyatta Watson II reason to make visits of his own. I caught up with Watson’s father this weekend, and he told me that official visits elsewhere are a real possibility. I would keep a close eye on Florida and Tennessee.

— Texas once again played host to five-star 2020 Houston North Forest wide receiver and Texas A&M commit Demond Demas. He has now been on campus three times since giving the Aggies a verbal pledge, and it’s clear his interest level in the Longhorns remains high. Nothing is really going to matter with Demas until next signing day, and I still feel like Texas will eventually flip him, especially if the staff can keep his teammate, Javonne Shepherd, in the fold.
71COMMENTS

— Premium Sports is the biggest 7v7 organization in California. Guys like Floyd and McCoy are part of the program. Coach Matt, who is at the center of Premium Sports, made his way to Austin this weekend along with elite 2021 recruits Jake Garcia and Anthony Beavers Jr. Coach Matt said they loved their time on campus, especially hanging out with Texas Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington. Coach Matt wants to see more California kids land at Texas, and Carrington has done an excellent job of establishing a relationship with him, which will help moving forward.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The Stampede: Scoop on California recruits, weekend visitors

Reveal hidden contents

Bru McCoy is nearing a decision. The five-star athlete out of Mater Dei (Calif.) will announce his commitment in December or January and is making his final visits of the cycle. While many have pegged him to stay close to home and play for USC, Texas has remained a consistent player and is arguably the biggest threat to pull him away from the West Coast. “We feel Texas offers everything we are looking for,” said McCoy’s mother, Shelby. “Great education, great football team, great staff, great city and great tradition. It’s the total package.”

Shelby also made it clear that going out-of-state is something the family is completely comfortable with. “With the process coming to an end, Bru is extremely high on Texas,” she said. “We are not worried about him going out-of-state. I feel like it’s really important to experience different places.” McCoy made an official visit to Texas in September and watched the Longhorns pick up a marquee victory over USC. It was there where the family got an in-depth look at the program and really connected with the UT staff.

While McCoy is in the process of making his final official visits, a trip back to the Forty Acres is also in the works. “We want to get back to Austin to make sure Bru is comfortable and has all his questions answered,” Shelby said. Texas head coach Tom Herman has been more involved in McCoy’s recruitment as of late, and wide receivers coach Drew Mehringer flew out to California to see him in action during the bye week.

Shelby said both Herman and Mehringer, as well as the rest of the Texas staff, have done a tremendous job of recruiting the family. “The coaching staff is continuing to build a strong relationship with Bru and with my husband and I,” she said. “Coach Mehringer was out two weeks ago to watch Bru play and reiterated how important he is to Texas. It really meant a lot to see him. We love Tom Herman’s energy and the relationships he builds with the boys.”

Along with Texas and USC, McCoy is still strongly considering Oklahoma and Washington. At 6-foot-2, 212 pounds, McCoy is ranked as the No. 1 athlete in the country and No. 9 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

I made my way out to California this weekend to check out some of UT’s top targets out West. Here are some tidbits.

— Let’s go ahead and start with the aforementioned McCoy. I put my Crystal Ball pick in for the Longhorns for a reason. As Shelby mentioned above, the family loves the program and the coaching staff, and they are growing more and more comfortable sending him away from home. If Texas does in fact get him back on campus, my confidence will only grow. After all, the McCoy family would be paying their own way, which shows just how much of a threat Texas really is to USC.

— There are a couple of things that give me pause with McCoy. Obviously, USC has been the team to beat in his recruitment forever, his former quarterback, JT Daniels, starts for the Trojans and the USC campus is a short drive from his home. While I think Texas has the momentum right now, USC will likely receive his final official visit, which will make it even harder for him to turn down the Trojans. Still, Texas has done an amazing job over the last several months, and it doesn’t appear that Clay Helton is getting the job done on the field, which raises stability questions.

— So what are the chances that Texas makes a statement and wins over McCoy? I would say it’s still 50-50 right now. I disagree with everyone that thinks he’s a lock to end up at USC. McCoy’s parents genuinely love Texas as Shelby went as far as to call it ‘the total package.’ That unofficial visit is still in the works as well, and Tom Herman can provide stability, which as mentioned, is in question at USC. I also feel like Texas commit De’Gabriel Floyd is playing a role here both as a recruiter and an example of an elite Los Angeles kid carving his own path and taking his talents to Austin. Remember, they are good friends.

— One of UT’s top remaining priorities is JUCO inside linebacker Caleb Johnson. While some hyped up his Arkansas visit, I still don’t see the Razorbacks as a huge threat here. In fact, Johnson told me that Texas is still his leader and that he plans to make a commitment before the end of the month. After spending extended time with Johnson out in California, I feel more confident than ever that the Longhorns will close and earn a commitment from him. Remember, Johnson will have three years of eligibility remaining.

— So what about Oregon? Yes, I still feel like if there is a school that can steal Johnson away from Texas late, it’s Oregon. But as I reported last week, Texas is making him the bigger priority as Oregon has several linebackers committed. Johnson is originally from California and grew up liking the Oregon program, but Texas really blew him away on his official visit, and it’s not a for sure that he’ll make an OV to Eugene. Johnson told me he’s still trying to decide between Oregon and Nebraska for his last trip.

— There might not be too much to it, but it is worth noting that four-star Texas defensive back commit Chris Adimora is planning to make an official visit to Arizona State this weekend. Adimora is also looking at taking a couple of other visits, so it looks like Texas will need to keep recruiting him hard ahead of the early signing period. Adimora did tell me that he is locked in, but visits are always a reason for slight concern.

— There is nothing to worry about with four-star Texas linebacker commit De’Gabriel Floyd. He has been the face of the class and is continuing to work on guys like Johnson and McCoy. Floyd is looking to make it back to campus before the end of the season and is set to sign and enroll early.

— Five-star 2020 Mater Dei (Calif.) cornerback Elias Ricks has been keeping in close contact with Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington. He plans to visit both Oklahoma and Texas before the end of the season and is really excited to get his first look at Austin. Ricks has family in Dallas and has legitimate interest in playing college football away from home.

Texas hosted several recruits for its huge matchup with West Virginia this weekend. Here are some nuggets.

— Elite IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cain is still on campus as you are reading this, but Texas made a huge impact this weekend. Cain and his family arrived on Saturday and got an in-depth look at the campus and program before taking in the game. Sunday was more about relationships. Cain got to spend some quality time with the staff and really connected with Stan Drayton, Bryan Carrington and others. Cain will have his final meeting with Tom Herman today.

— I am close to switching my Crystal Ball for Cain from LSU to Texas. We are still hearing that John Emery is trending to the Tigers, and Cain doesn’t want to be part of a three-back class. While Trey Sanders is still a big fish, Cain seems like the safer bet. Remember, his family lives in Dallas, and he’s always had an affinity for the program. Penn State is also in a great position, but Texas made some waves this weekend. We will have more on Cain after his visit.

— The other official visitor on campus this weekend was four-star Austin Bowie wide receiver Elijah Higgins, who wrapped up his visit on Sunday. Texas has done a nice job rising back up the list for Higgins. He really likes the program and the way the offense is producing this season. The staff has pitched him as the next Lil'Jordan Humphrey, which definitely has his attention. So did Texas do enough this weekend? I don’t think so. There is a slight chance Texas can still win him over before he makes his decision, but as of today, I would still give the edge to Stanford. Higgins sees a valuable opportunity away from home and an education that may be too good to pass up. Texas still has work to do after this trip.

—Could Texas be close to picking up one (or two) commits soon? It’s very much a possibility. Texas once again hosted Melissa wide receiver Kennedy Lewis this weekend. With Higgins looking unlikely at this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if Lewis shuts things down in the near future. He’s visited Texas twice in the last few weeks and sees himself as a fit in Austin. Texas also put an offer on the table for rising offensive lineman Isaiah Hookfin. The Longhorns are in the pole position after the weekend and will push to seal the deal.

— One of the biggest storylines coming out of the weekend was the surprise visit of four-star Spring Dekaney cornerback Marcus Banks. The ex-LSU commit has always had a strong relationship with Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington, and the two have maintained contact over the last few months. While things are still preliminary here, you have to keep in mind that Texas was the favorite early in the cycle and that Banks isn’t making a new decision until January. Texas appeared to be done at corner, but Banks was a priority target in the spring, and his renewed interest has the Longhorns intrigued. By the way, I’m told Banks’ mother loves the program and would love to see her son in Austin.

— Will the recruitment of Banks have any ripple effects on the state of the cornerback class? Marques Caldwell is locked in and not going anywhere. But the Banks visit has given Kenyatta Watson II reason to make visits of his own. I caught up with Watson’s father this weekend, and he told me that official visits elsewhere are a real possibility. I would keep a close eye on Florida and Tennessee.

— Texas once again played host to five-star 2020 Houston North Forest wide receiver and Texas A&M commit Demond Demas. He has now been on campus three times since giving the Aggies a verbal pledge, and it’s clear his interest level in the Longhorns remains high. Nothing is really going to matter with Demas until next signing day, and I still feel like Texas will eventually flip him, especially if the staff can keep his teammate, Javonne Shepherd, in the fold.
71COMMENTS

— Premium Sports is the biggest 7v7 organization in California. Guys like Floyd and McCoy are part of the program. Coach Matt, who is at the center of Premium Sports, made his way to Austin this weekend along with elite 2021 recruits Jake Garcia and Anthony Beavers Jr. Coach Matt said they loved their time on campus, especially hanging out with Texas Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington. Coach Matt wants to see more California kids land at Texas, and Carrington has done an excellent job of establishing a relationship with him, which will help moving forward.

If Bru visits again put him in the calculator.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I still don’t get the idea that Garrett Wilson is a five star super recruit.  He is good, but he doesn’t have elite speed or size.   He puts up big numbers at Lake Travis - just like their top WR has every year for the last 15 years, except this time it’s finally a legit recruit instead a future frat bro named Garrett or McKenzie.   It all feels very Jonathan Gray-ish or Katy RB-ish to me.

And in case you think it’s just sour grapes because he’s not coming here, I buy Dylan Wright and Theo Wease being elite prospects, and they’re going to our rivals.

I've seen every game he has played in HS and he's a rare breed of talent that comes along every few years.  Some of them peak in HS, some continue to grow and peak in college, some keep going.  Don't know if he has hit the wall yet but I would guess he will be great in college  

But he puts on a show against the highest level of competition in the state.  Last year after Baldwin went down in the opening series against Allen in the finals he made jaw dropping catches that made card look like a better QB than he is, and he shut down wease playing man against him.  

He is definitely all in on tOSU, but that program can burn to the ground on a giant pile of couches and the world would be better for it