Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

Updated WVU game visitor list from IT:

Hide contents

OT Tyler Johnson, Conroe Oak Ridge (TEXAS)
CB Marques Caldwell, Alvin (TEXAS)
DT Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek
DE Princely Umanmielen, Manor
DB Jaylon Jones, Cibolo Steele
ATH Ja’Quinden Jackson, Duncanville
DT Alex Huntley, Columbia (SC) Hammond School
QB Jake Garcia, Harbor City (CA) Narbonne
DE Landon Jackson, Texarkana Pleasant Grove
RB Ty Jordan, West Mesquite 
DB Tyler Owens, Plano East (TEXAS)
QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groces (TEXAS)
LB/DE Peter Mpagi, Richmond George Ranch (TEXAS)
WR Elijah Higgins, Austin Bowie
RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy
OT Isaiah Hookfin, Sugar Land Dulles
OL Jahari Rogers, Arlington
WR Kennedy Lewis, Melissa
ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage 
OL Tykieast Crawford, Carthage 
ATH Quaydarius Davis, Dallas Skyline
LB Brennon Scott, Dallas Bishop Dunne
QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis (TEXAS)
WR Demond Demas, Houston North Forrest (TEXAS A&M)
WR Logan Kyle, Tomball Memorial 
LB Nate Hawkins, Katy Seven Lakes

**Seth McGowan is headed to Bama-LSU**

I'll take one of each. 

Carthage kids coming through with 5star names

10 hours ago, maninblack said:

I just looked up their schedule and this is their 11th game. That's not bad. Just struck as super early to be ending a season.

Since the primary reason they are at IMG is to prepare for the rigors of getting a college education,   ending the season now gives them more time to devote to their studies.  

14 hours ago, Sejjr said:

They can't qualify for playoffs or play for a State Title. Basically, all their games are exhibition games. They are a college football prep factory with the best collection of talent in the nation, but they are not the best team. 

well they’re pretty damn close.  a close loss to mater dei this season was their first loss since 2014. 

Cheat Code is an interesting nickname

Cheat Codes is an American electronic music DJ trio consisting of Trevor Dahl, Kevin Ford, and Matthew Russell based in Los Angeles.The group is notable for their 2016 single "Sex", which samples the chorus from "Let's Talk About Sex" by Salt-N-Pepa, and their 2017 single "No Promises", which featured American pop superstar Demi Lovato and peaked within the top 40 of the US, UK and Australia.

EJ on Cain so far, basically a puff post but better than a Zach Evans-esque quote I guess : 

I quickly exchanged messages with the father of Noah Cain. He said the visit is going terrific so far and that they are loving the weather and vibe in Austin. He added that they toured the campus and met with the coaches and support staff this morning. They had lunch at Moonshine Grill and are excited about taking in the game day atmosphere at DKR.

9 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

my god do we need to recruit some D linemen and Lb's 

Specifically inside guys. We've got some decent outside guys. But we have recruited 4 inside guys total in the past 4 years and one of those 4 is Demarco Boyd who isn't doing shit here for obvious reasons. We had no four year guys recruited in 2017 either. So after Wheeler in 2015, we went bust, nobody, then Dele, who should be good next year hopefully because we really have nobody after Wheeler and Gary Johnson leave this year. Wheeler is pretty mediocre and is out of position all the time. Johnson is good but is only one guy. We need one good inside linebacker to replace Wheeler, ideally yesterday, but next year will have to do. Hopefully that's Dele. We need someone to back him up too though, or better yet a JUCO LB that could let Dele be the back up. We also need a Gary Johnson replacement for tomorrow. Maybe Shark could step up and fill that roll, maybe not. I don't know. Maybe Overshown could. All I know is our ILB depth chart is fucked and it will take 2-3 (1-2 including the 2018 class hopefully) years to fix it just like it took time to fix our QB depth chart.

9 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

But surly told me DL only eat blocks in this scheme and so it is totally fine if we recruit non elite 3*s.

It's the total opposite. Orlando's entire base defensive scheme depends on bring able to stop the run with five in the box.

And our four-stars aren't great either. Shark looked bad at Mac and Graham was getting pushed around with ease.

We really, really miss Poona and Malik.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It's the total opposite. Orlando's entire base defensive scheme depends on bring able to stop the run with five in the box.

And our four-stars aren't great either. Shark looked bad at Mac and Graham was getting pushed around with ease.

We really, really miss Poona and Malik.

I miss Alex Okafor, Sergio Kindle, Eddie Jones, Jackson Jeffcoat, etc. I was hard on these guys at times but man would I take them in a heartbeat right now. How do you go from that to Omenihu and Hager and expect anyone to think we're "back"?

I don't know what's up with Taquon Graham. I expected a lot more from him this year. Dude is a complete non-factor.

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

I miss Alex Okafor, Sergio Kindle, Eddie Jones, Jackson Jeffcoat, etc. I was hard on these guys at times but man would I take them in a heartbeat right now. How do you go from that to Omenihu and Hager and expect anyone to think we're "back"?

I don't know what's up with Taquon Graham. I expected a lot more from him this year. Dude is a complete non-factor.

Did eddie jones even play?  wasn't he injured basically his entire career?  I do get your point.  Who was our last 5 star DL?  Malcom Brown?  Every elite team has elite DL.  That used to be us.  Somewhere along the line, we decided we should just take a bunch of 3 star developmental guys.  Herman needs to address this asap by hiring a good DL recruiter.  Giles is not working out here.  This roster will not have a good DL for another 2-3 years.  We're going to be relying on guys like Wilbon, Bimage, Graham, Chisholm the next 2 years.  3 of those guys have no business starting at a program like Texas.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Did eddie jones even play?  wasn't he injured basically his entire career?  I do get your point.  Who was our last 5 star DL?  Malcom Brown?  Every elite team has elite DL.  That used to be us.  Somewhere along the line, we decided we should just take a bunch of 3 star developmental guys.  Herman needs to address this asap by hiring a good DL recruiter.  Giles is not working out here.  This roster will not have a good DL for another 2-3 years.  We're going to be relying on guys like Wilbon, Bimage, Graham, Chisholm the next 2 years.  3 of those guys have no business starting at a program like Texas.

eddie showed out as a senior.

but that's kinda my point. average to good players like eddie jones, kheeston randall, cedric reed etc. would be an upgrade over what we have right now.

cedric reed was a bit of a whipping boy around here by his senior season. he had 19 career sacks. breckyn hager has 11 career sacks yet he's on all the football marketing. so sick of the bar being lowered around here. 

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

eddie showed out as a senior.

but that's kinda my point. average to good players like eddie jones, kheeston randall, cedric reed etc. would be an upgrade over what we have right now.

cedric reed was a bit of a whipping boy around here by his senior season. he had 19 career sacks. breckyn hager has 11 career sacks yet he's on all the football marketing. so sick of the bar being lowered around here. 

Yeah Hager has been a huge disappointment his Senior Year.  Wish he wasn't hurt though....

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah Hager has been a huge disappointment his Senior Year.  Wish he wasn't hurt though....

The Hager hype seemed purely based on the fun hair/quotes and everyone liking his dad. Never quite got it. Omenihu has been exactly on expectations - not quite dominant but plenty of sacks and hurries. It'd be nice if someone stepped up next year for sure.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

The Hager hype seemed purely based on the fun hair/quotes and everyone liking his dad. Never quite got it. Omenihu has been exactly on expectations - not quite dominant but plenty of sacks and hurries. It'd be nice if someone stepped up next year for sure.

Paging Joseph Ossai 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 10:12 PM, Machinator said:

Updated WVU game visitor list from IT:

Hide contents

OT Tyler Johnson, Conroe Oak Ridge (TEXAS)
CB Marques Caldwell, Alvin (TEXAS)
DT Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek
DE Princely Umanmielen, Manor
DB Jaylon Jones, Cibolo Steele
ATH Ja’Quinden Jackson, Duncanville
DT Alex Huntley, Columbia (SC) Hammond School
QB Jake Garcia, Harbor City (CA) Narbonne
DE Landon Jackson, Texarkana Pleasant Grove
RB Ty Jordan, West Mesquite 
DB Tyler Owens, Plano East (TEXAS)
QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groces (TEXAS)
LB/DE Peter Mpagi, Richmond George Ranch (TEXAS)
WR Elijah Higgins, Austin Bowie
RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy
OT Isaiah Hookfin, Sugar Land Dulles
OL Jahari Rogers, Arlington
WR Kennedy Lewis, Melissa
ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage 
OL Tykieast Crawford, Carthage 
ATH Quaydarius Davis, Dallas Skyline
LB Brennon Scott, Dallas Bishop Dunne
QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis (TEXAS)
WR Demond Demas, Houston North Forrest (TEXAS A&M)
WR Logan Kyle, Tomball Memorial 
LB Nate Hawkins, Katy Seven Lakes

**Seth McGowan is headed to Bama-LSU**

I saw Marcus Banks in the concourse at halftime. No stalker.

Mike Roach: Recruit reaction shows future is still bright in Austin

Fans often take losses to heart more than recruits. Texas hosted a large group of prospects on hand to see a stunning loss to West Virginia, but it appears that they are still high on the Longhorns. “I enjoyed the atmosphere and the game,” four-star running back Noah Cain said. “The loss doesn’t affect me.” Cain is one of two official visitors on campus this weekend, and he’s been analytical about the process during the entire cycle. "I enjoyed it so much,” newly offered offensive lineman Isaiah Hookfin said. “The culture and fan base there is so strong. The whole stadium was full.” “It was great as always,” 2021 defensive end Landon Jackson said. “UT never fails to please me.”

“It was a really good experience,” 2020 ATH Jahari Rogers said. “It sucks that they lost, but the atmosphere was crazy. I love the loyalty of the fans, and the coaching staff is really cool.” Despite the tough loss, it appears that recruits on campus were impressed with the stadium atmosphere and exciting game that took place. Recruits have a way of seeing the future and finding bright spots in the face of a loss. Texas entered this season facing questions about their offensive ability, and they’ve answered those in nearly every visit opportunity this year. If Texas can finish the season strong, they should be able to close out another impressive recruiting class.

Mike Roach: Four-star DB Marcus Banks talks surprise Texas visit

Texas hosted a surprise visitor on campus this weekend. Four-star Spring Dekaney cornerback Marcus Banks made his way to Austin and took in a wild game that saw the Longhorns fall to West Virginia in a battle of ranked teams. Banks told Horns247 that he enjoyed his first trip to Austin since the spring. “You know, it’s been a while since I’ve been in attendance,” Banks said with a laugh. “But man, they were so excited to see me. It went great.”

Banks added that he spent extended time with Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington. The two always had a strong bond and exchanged messages even when Banks came off the board. “Me and Coach Washington never lost contact, really,” Banks said. “It went well as usual. Me and him go way back, so it was just natural conversations like always — not always about football. He still emphasizes that he needs me and would love for me to play for him.”

Banks was strongly considering Texas throughout the offseason before giving LSU a verbal commitment. However, he recently backed out of his pledge and is now considering all options. So where does Texas stand? “My interest level is pretty high on Texas, and they are just as much in the picture as anybody else,” Banks said. Banks plans to make his final commitment on Jan. 5. At 6-foot, 170 pounds, Banks is ranked as the No. 29 cornerback in the country and No. 33 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.