Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/11/open-post-monday-november-5th/

Hide contents

Weekend Visitors | Quick-Updates
– Super K

***Sounds like things were going well with 2019 RB, Noah Cain. Sources say it’s going to be hard for Noah to say no to someone like Stan Drayton. Apparently, Drayton is somewhat of an uncle/father type figure to Noah.

Source also said, “Noah is at home in Austin. A lot of familiar faces”.

Back in April, Drayton told me, “yeah, we’re gonna get Cain. I really want his teammate, Sanders. He (Sanders) is the best back in the country.” He also told me the two teammates appreciated the direct approach Drayton takes in their recruitment. This was the same time he told me Wilson was going to Ohio State. 

Obviously, a lot of time has passed since April, so I don’t know where Dayton’s confidence is today. Taking Brown may have affected the outlook. I just know he was very matter of fact about getting Cain in April. 

12 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Let me throw this in here from secrant's perspective on Saban's recruiting:

re: What makes Saban so much better at player development than all other coaches?Posted on 11/4/18 at 3:36 pm to Drewbie
bkm1.png
quote:
If you want to see the field at Bama, you have to eventually play at a 5 star level or your arse is on the bench. The 3 stars that sign on for Bama know this and are surrounded by competition that will push them. If they don't have the heart, they get processed.

Exactly. A five star at another school thinks he’s the crap. A five star at bama is just another guy and is having to beat out 3 more guys that were ranked just as high.

oach Saban apparently has a unique and semi-proprietary method of evaluating recruits. This was mentioned when he alluded to coaches leaving his employ to coach elsewhere, and taking his system of evaluation with them. 

If you had a way of testing a recruit to see the level of his physical and or mental maturity, you could do a lot of things with lesser ranked recruits. But beyond that, read Clinton-Dix's comments on "the process." It is enlightening. 

In the series of videos prior to the season that showed the Bama practices, I was amazed at how organized and intense the Bama practices were. Saban was on top of every detail and made the players and coaches get it right. 

Of course, having top talent is key, but getting everybody on the same page and executing things in a manner that gives you the best chance of success is what sets Saban apart from most coaches.

-I'm actually a good person to answer this. I used to be in the strength and conditioning field and was involved in the program during the late Shula early Saban era. Also am familiar with a bunch of programs good and bad at different levels(having worked at several before doing something else with my life). 

The answer is simple. Saban runs a program like a good company runs its business. I'm sure some have read the book "The E-Myth" which talks about running even small businesses like a turn-key big company. This is how Saban runs Alabama. It is a never failing, always consistent, turn-key operation. Ive never seen any other school run anything similar on a consistent basis. 

The first year at Bama, Saban went to Tommy Moffitt(whom LSU fans stupidly want to run off) and asked him to come be the strength coach at Bama. He refused but sent Cochran, his assistant, instead. Saban wanted to change the culture immediately and permanently so he instructed Cochran to read the program's creed loudly before every single workout in the weight room(which he did every damn time). 

He has a plan and procedure for everything. At other programs countless amounts of time and effort are wasted contemplating decisions and actions that are always pre-made at Alabama. While you and your coaches are debating x and y, having meetings other this and that, Alabama coaches are miles ahead. While your players are waiting on your coaches to figure things out, Bama's players have received hours and hours of more, well organized instruction. While your program is wasting precious amounts of limited time on "changing the culture" Bama never missed a beat and is miles ahead with better athletes and coaches. There is a manual and a procedure for operation and it is followed. 

Saban has been at Alabama for over a decade while other teams have run through failed coach after failed coach, having to restart the some old process of "changing culture" year after year and having the same problems of being miles behind. I havent seen anything behind the curtains at UGA but I can only assume Kirby has been the only one able to check his ego enough to fully devote his program to the process enough to get it running at an Alabama level. He was there long enough, and cant deny it works better than anything he can personally come up with. 

Ego does more coaches in than anything else and Saban is better at checking his ego than any other coach out there. You may say "bu bu but...I've seen him do this and that argue with coaches..etc etc." Saban had a successful formula of a monstrous front 7 3-4 defense and power rushing attack with game manager QBs. It worked and was working well...yet he scrapped it and adapted as the game did. How many other less successful coaches have rode their ships straight into the ground because they refused to admit their brilliant formula which was once successful couldn't cut it anymore? (looking at you LSU and Auburn) In many ways, Saban is similar to Bear Bryant who also scrapped a system that had won him multiple championships to install the Wishbone in 1971. 

So many coaches are so competitive and have such high egos that they cant accept that its the players that must win them games, not their brilliant coaching ability. This is why you see so many "athletes" at QB who have to look over at the sideline to get every single read for them because their coach cant stop trying to play his team like a video game. The best coaches realize they have to coach like hell until game time...and then let go and let the players do their thing. 

Tons of you are gonna say I'm full of shite...I'm not. Studying coaching methods and programs was an obsession of mine for a long time and I saw a lot of programs up close and personal. I was most able to really appreciate what Saban did at Alabama when I started my own business... 

Hope this helps some of you understand.

-Gus Malzahn's greatest nemesis may be his intellect. I truly believe hes is very smart, maybe the smartest in the SEC. He did some incredible things by going back and adapting some of the early football offenses(which were probably more advanced than today's offenses) to the modern game and dominating with it. He single handedly caused Saban to divert the direction of the Alabama program. 

I haven't seen much behind the curtains at Auburn, so you Auburn fans know much more than I do but if I had to guess, he is just being too stubborn with personnel and the offense. When the pieces fall together, they can be all but unstoppable but when they aren't all there, he apparently is just not gonna adapt. Its my only guess for the roller coaster ride you see at Auburn every few seasons.

-Alabama's player evaluation models, strength program, player development/practice manuals are sitting in almost every football program in the country.

-He demands perfection from his coaches more than his players. He holds everyone accountable for what happens in games and practices.

-% of 5  stars drafted in first round ..Bama 48.3% ...Rest of college football 17%.

-A few years back, I read an article about these manuals that Saban wrote that are position-specific and body type-specific, and are pretty thick. It lays out a diet and exercise regimen, sleep regimen, etc. There was a daily thought or quote included that the player was encouraged to reflect on. Each player got a manual and were expected to live it. 

I'm guess our head coach is familiar and fully aware of Saban's techniques, since he's apparently doing something right.

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/what-makes-saban-so-much-better-at-player-development-than-all-other-coaches/79961067/

"% of 5  stars drafted in first round ..Bama 48.3% ...Rest of college football 17%."

That is amazing

IT

ISAIAH HOOKFIN

It was the trip he always wanted to take.

The 6-foot-5, 270-pound offensive lineman from Dulles HS in Sugarland, Isaiah Hookfin, made his way to Austin and UT for the first time in his life this past weekend. His time was rewarded with an offer to attend the school.

Hookfin came in with an 82' wingspan and one source described him as "beautiful."

"The coaches were very vocal about my ability and size, also the fact they're not afraid to play freshmen," said Hookfin. "Players were really welcoming as far as the offensive linemen, and I hung with Christian Jones and Junior Angilau."

Hookfin soaked up the atmosphere, though I'm not sure it's sunk in that UT offered. He was on cloud nine yesterday.

"Recruits, like Tyler Johnson, were telling me about how much I could help the offensive line and class," said Hookfin. "The overall atmosphere was incredible. I've never been to anything like it before."

I believe Hookfin will take an official visit in early December. And just like Auburn and Mississippi State, I expect more offers to trickle his way. But right now he's UT's to lose.

I hope to see Isaiah this week when I head to H-town.

KENNEDY LEWIS

After tripping to Austin for the Baylor game last month, the 2019 Melissa receiver didn't want to miss a big attraction like dueling Top 20 Big 12 programs.

“The game was super fun,” said Lewis. “I loved the environment and atmosphere. Just everything about the city, coaches, players, weight room, education, dorms. Everything. "

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound field stretcher became enamored with the Longhorns earlier this fall, de-committed from TCU, and now has the Horns at the top of his list.

A decision timeline coming up?

“Possibly this week.”

Before you get excited, pump the brakes a little. I think this recruitment might play out longer. Stay tuned.

CB RECRUITING

For the last month, we’ve combed over wide receiver recruiting for the 2019 class. Each cycle has its twists and turns. With that position taking shape, it's time to focus cornerback.

Texas hosted Spring Dekaney 4* Marcus Banks for an UOV on Saturday. It was a surprise for most, inlcuding us. Banks reached out to Texas after de-committing from LSU three weeks ago, likely at the behest of LSU. With the number looking to be two at corner, Texas appeared to be full with Kenyatta Watson II and Marques Caldwell committed. Recruiting is weird, though, and you have to cover all your bases.

You could see the staff take another corner, because Caldwell offers versatility at nickel and safety. Plus Peyton Powell will likely start his career on offense.

The question becomes, if UT takes another corner how does it affect Kenyatta Watson? 

First, it shouldn't. For the staff, Watson is the most prioritized corner in the country. After an absolutely fantastic in-state cornerback haul in 2018, the staff was forced to look OOS to find anything similar to what it just landed. They love Watson. With that understanding, they wouldn't do anything to jeopardize his commitment unless they had a reason.

So why the Banks interest? That interest is more on Banks' side for now; the staff is simply protecting its interests.

Talk is beginning to surface that Watson may take official visits to Florida, Tennessee, and perhaps some others. Ohio State and Alabama are still after him. However, we've heard those visits were in the works a couple of weeks ago, before there was interest in Banks. Obviously the staff heard the same and you can't fault them for building contingencies.

Watson has a great relationship with Jason Washington and he loves Texas and the City of Austin. Hopefully this isn't more than just poor communication but we're likely to see some tedious moments.

NOAH CAIN

The long relationship between Texas and Noah Cain rekindled this weekend during his official visit. For the record, he's still in Austin.

Mrs. Cain is a fan of a certain cinnamon roll, and the store was closed late yesterday evening. So with the Cain's flight pushed back the staff had those rolls delivered to their hotel this morning. Noah's mother was quite pleased. Jim Harbaugh's cookie cake and Sally's cookies have nothing on that.

For the four-star from IMG via Denton Guyer, his recruitment looks to be down to three schools - Texas, LSU, and Penn State. With the Tigers likely taking John Emery, that would seemingly swing the door wide open for Texas, but surprisingly we're hearing you can't rule out LSU landing all three.

It's still unlikely they will and Texas has done well to put itself in favorable positioning. The Cains are very fond of Austin and what the school offers Noah long-term. He's also closer to this UT staff than probably any other in the country. His relationship with Stan Drayton is a major factor. Drayton couldn't have belabored the opportunity for early playing time or Cain's fit in inside zone any more clearly.

Like with California's Bru McCoy, I wouldn't be shocked if Cain returned before the first NSD in mid-December for an unofficial visit. Hope for Emery to LSU and Cain to take one more visit to Austin.

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

We just had one of the biggest recruiting weekends of the year and this place has gone pretty much fetal position. 

I refuse to surrender. That game was a kick in the dick, but we can finally make promises to offensive recruits without asking them to make a leap of faith. That's big.

1 hour ago, Gardner Barnes said:

"% of 5  stars drafted in first round ..Bama 48.3% ...Rest of college football 17%."

That is amazing

It's also based on winning a lot of games in college. NFL scouts suck at separating a player's performance from his teammates.

Some of the 5 stars Alabama has had drafted in the first round include Trent Richardson, DJ Fluker, etc. Richardson is obviously a famous bust but a good portion of their first round picks have become average NFL players at best. That's still production, but that's not what first round picks are supposed to be. I'm not saying they don't identify/develop talent better than average, because they clearly do (trapdooring helps), just that they've had several guys who should have been mid-round picks go in the first round because they won a shitload of games.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

I think it has more to do with our defense sucking shit through a straw.  OOS recruits are the first to jump ship if the coaches don't deliver on their promises and goals.  They have no ties to the school and location is not a factor.  If we have a strong defensive showing, it should quiet other schools negative recruiting.  if we continue to give up 500 yards and 40 points a game, I can see why Watson's dad is open to listening to other schools.  Don't think it has anything to do with Marcus Banks who hasn't been on the radar since spring.

Washington can end the Watson drama by picking up the phone and reassuring him he's their top priority, but Texas needs more CBs as well.

Cook, Green, Boyce is the projected depth chart next year, should Thompson stay at NB and Jamison stay on offense. Even if Jamison moves back to defense, which he should, he's also a NB.

I wouldn't want to put Brown, Estell, or Duvernay at CB in this league, and Foster, Sterns, and Jones are S's.

21 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I think it has more to do with our defense sucking shit through a straw.  OOS recruits are the first to jump ship if the coaches don't deliver on their promises and goals.  They have no ties to the school and location is not a factor.  If we have a strong defensive showing, it should quiet other schools negative recruiting.  if we continue to give up 500 yards and 40 points a game, I can see why Watson's dad is open to listening to other schools.  Don't think it has anything to do with Marcus Banks who hasn't been on the radar since spring.

There were rumors about Watson looking around and taking visits when we were 6-1. They’ve been around for weeks.

Washington can end the Watson drama by picking up the phone and reassuring him he's their top priority, but Texas needs more CBs as well.
Cook, Green, Boyce is the projected depth chart next year, should Thompson stay at NB and Jamison stay on offense. Even if Jamison moves back to defense, which he should, he's also a NB.
I wouldn't want to put Brown, Estell, or Duvernay at CB in this league, and Foster, Sterns, and Jones are S's.

It’s Watson looking around that has caused the staff to explore plan B’s. I worry about all of our out of state commits right now.

1 hour ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I saw hookfin in the concourse. I’m not a small guy and he dwarfed me. He is huge and very long.

If he can put on weight and has good hips then watch out.

Good Hips???   Maybe practice this.....lol

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

IT

ISAIAH HOOKFIN
It was the trip he always wanted to take.
The 6-foot-5, 270-pound offensive lineman from Dulles HS in Sugarland, Isaiah Hookfin, made his way to Austin and UT for the first time in his life this past weekend. His time was rewarded with an offer to attend the school.
Hookfin came in with an 82' wingspan and one source described him as "beautiful."
"The coaches were very vocal about my ability and size, also the fact they're not afraid to play freshmen," said Hookfin. "Players were really welcoming as far as the offensive linemen, and I hung with Christian Jones and Junior Angilau."
Hookfin soaked up the atmosphere, though I'm not sure it's sunk in that UT offered. He was on cloud nine yesterday.
"Recruits, like Tyler Johnson, were telling me about how much I could help the offensive line and class," said Hookfin. "The overall atmosphere was incredible. I've never been to anything like it before."
I believe Hookfin will take an official visit in early December. And just like Auburn and Mississippi State, I expect more offers to trickle his way. But right now he's UT's to lose.
I hope to see Isaiah this week when I head to H-town.
KENNEDY LEWIS
After tripping to Austin for the Baylor game last month, the 2019 Melissa receiver didn't want to miss a big attraction like dueling Top 20 Big 12 programs.
“The game was super fun,” said Lewis. “I loved the environment and atmosphere. Just everything about the city, coaches, players, weight room, education, dorms. Everything. "
The 6-foot-3, 195-pound field stretcher became enamored with the Longhorns earlier this fall, de-committed from TCU, and now has the Horns at the top of his list.
A decision timeline coming up?
“Possibly this week.”
Before you get excited, pump the brakes a little. I think this recruitment might play out longer. Stay tuned.
CB RECRUITING
For the last month, we’ve combed over wide receiver recruiting for the 2019 class. Each cycle has its twists and turns. With that position taking shape, it's time to focus cornerback.
Texas hosted Spring Dekaney 4* Marcus Banks for an UOV on Saturday. It was a surprise for most, inlcuding us. Banks reached out to Texas after de-committing from LSU three weeks ago, likely at the behest of LSU. With the number looking to be two at corner, Texas appeared to be full with Kenyatta Watson II and Marques Caldwell committed. Recruiting is weird, though, and you have to cover all your bases.
You could see the staff take another corner, because Caldwell offers versatility at nickel and safety. Plus Peyton Powell will likely start his career on offense.
The question becomes, if UT takes another corner how does it affect Kenyatta Watson? 
First, it shouldn't. For the staff, Watson is the most prioritized corner in the country. After an absolutely fantastic in-state cornerback haul in 2018, the staff was forced to look OOS to find anything similar to what it just landed. They love Watson. With that understanding, they wouldn't do anything to jeopardize his commitment unless they had a reason.
So why the Banks interest? That interest is more on Banks' side for now; the staff is simply protecting its interests.
Talk is beginning to surface that Watson may take official visits to Florida, Tennessee, and perhaps some others. Ohio State and Alabama are still after him. However, we've heard those visits were in the works a couple of weeks ago, before there was interest in Banks. Obviously the staff heard the same and you can't fault them for building contingencies.
Watson has a great relationship with Jason Washington and he loves Texas and the City of Austin. Hopefully this isn't more than just poor communication but we're likely to see some tedious moments.
NOAH CAIN
The long relationship between Texas and Noah Cain rekindled this weekend during his official visit. For the record, he's still in Austin.
Mrs. Cain is a fan of a certain cinnamon roll, and the store was closed late yesterday evening. So with the Cain's flight pushed back the staff had those rolls delivered to their hotel this morning. Noah's mother was quite pleased. Jim Harbaugh's cookie cake and Sally's cookies have nothing on that.
For the four-star from IMG via Denton Guyer, his recruitment looks to be down to three schools - Texas, LSU, and Penn State. With the Tigers likely taking John Emery, that would seemingly swing the door wide open for Texas, but surprisingly we're hearing you can't rule out LSU landing all three.
It's still unlikely they will and Texas has done well to put itself in favorable positioning. The Cains are very fond of Austin and what the school offers Noah long-term. He's also closer to this UT staff than probably any other in the country. His relationship with Stan Drayton is a major factor. Drayton couldn't have belabored the opportunity for early playing time or Cain's fit in inside zone any more clearly.
Like with California's Bru McCoy, I wouldn't be shocked if Cain returned before the first NSD in mid-December for an unofficial visit. Hope for Emery to LSU and Cain to take one more visit to Austin.

Anything good about the team in the scoop?