Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

How does Stanford do at DL recruiting? How do we compare to Stanford overall? If Oscar Giles recruited for Stanford, would he still be terrible?

wait, how can we quantitatively compare and determine if a degree from Stanford is better than a degree from Texas? THIS SHIT MATTERS!

4 minutes ago, cafe society said:

For those of you far more tuned-in to recruiting than I am,  do you believe that the second RB spot is first-come, first-served?  What if Cain and Sanders decide they both want in?  What happens?  Remote but non-zero chance.

They both commit, and Brown flips to Georgia...and, odds are slim to none of this happening.  I'd love Sanders, but can't help but feel he is Bama bound. Think we get Cain.

Having seen their HUDL and last week's game they both look incredible to me.  Sanders may be slightly better as a runner, but Cain has nothing to apologize for running and he catches the ball very well and shows elusiveness in the open field and more speed than I expected.  I also saw him pick up a couple of blitzes.   No bad outcomes if we get one of them.

46 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Having seen their HUDL and last week's game they both look incredible to me.  Sanders may be slightly better as a runner, but Cain has nothing to apologize for running and he catches the ball very well and shows elusiveness in the open field and more speed than I expected.  I also saw him pick up a couple of blitzes.   No bad outcomes if we get one of them.

Correction, the bad outcome would be us having to hear Luicci and the ministry of information yell about depth charts for Zachary Evans and the fact that he is a heavy aggy lean in every update from here until SD2 2020. 

37 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Correction, the bad outcome would be us having to hear Luicci and the ministry of information yell about depth charts for Zachary Evans and the fact that he is a heavy aggy lean in every update from here until SD2 2020. 

I find it hard to.believe the best RB to come out of Texas since A Peterson  would pick aggy .there is no historical precedent for this. 

Bagman all you want. Evans will go where he can win a heisman. That.means a true blueblood. Not little brother 

2 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I find it hard to.believe the best RB to come out of Texas since A Peterson  would pick aggy .there is no historical precedent for this. 

Bagman all you want. Evans will go where he can win a heisman. That.means a true blueblood. Not little brother 

Not to burst your bubble or anything but aggy has a more recent Heisman winner than we do 

Since 1960, here's the running backs who were not from a traditional power (OU, Texas, USC, Alabama, Penn St., Nebraska)

1960 Joe Bellino Navy Halfback

1961 Ernie Davis* Syracuse Halfback/Linebacker/Fullback

1976 Tony Dorsett† Pittsburgh Running back

1980 George Rogers* South Carolina Running back

1988 Barry Sanders† Oklahoma State Running back

1994 Rashaan Salaam Colorado Running back

1999 Ron Dayne Wisconsin Running back

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Since 1960, here's the running backs who were not from a traditional power (OU, Texas, USC, Alabama, Penn St., Nebraska)

Since 2000, Reggie Bush (USC) Mark Ingram (Alabama), and Derrick Henry (Alabama) are the only non-QBs to win the award. His only chance to win and keep a Heisman is to go to Bama or start passing. 

34 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Navy was definitely considered a 'traditional power' back in 1960.

12 hours ago, satyanash said:

So between Kennedy Lewis postponing his commitment and Nahlin's cryptic comments... what's the situation here?

edit: MGM, didn't read further

Nahlin has cited saving room for grad transfers a few times. All Waddle jokes aside, the staff seems to have some pretty serious leads. 

10 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Texas played a big part in getting Rashaan Salam that Heisman.

7 hours ago, thepop said:

I think that is Maliksmas. I remember cause I had surgery that day 4 year ago and woke up to the good news.

The first quote I saw was Kyler Murray saying “No one is going to Texas” on Twitter from one of the IT guys.

A part of me died. This was Malik, after all,  and it was a package deal with a Finesse.

I scrolled down a bit and then realized they were using an old quote from Kyler and Malik was actually committed to the good guys. 

It was an inverted aggie roller coaster of emotions. 

4 hours ago, CastHorn said:

I’m curious why we wouldn’t be interested in a 6’4 255 DLineman who runs a sub 4.7

He measured in at 6-2, 260 not 6-4, 255. Nobody is really pushing for Stripling right now. We pretty obviously like Myron Warren more. Stripling’s senior tape has apparently been pretty meh.

EJ after dark: Thoughts on UT commit Roschon Johnson

— Texas quarterback commit Roschon Johnson stepped up when it mattered most in one of the state’s biggest rivalry games as he led Port Neches-Groves to a 34-21 victory over Nederland in the 95th annual Mid-County Madness matchup. Johnson engineered a second half explosion and made clutch play after clutch play to help his team secure the victory. Johnson finished the game 9-of-18 for 88 yards and an eye-opening 251 yards rushing and five touchdowns. After battling through injuries early in the season, Johnson is fully healthy and once again one of the most dynamic high school football players in the state.

— Johnson is the best running high school quarterback I’ve seen in my seven years covering recruiting. The four-star prospect is built like a powerful running back and ran through tackles with ease. While he’s not super shifty or elusive in the open field, Johnson is a glider and extremely tough to bring down once he breaks past the first level. Johnson literally trucked defenders on his touchdown scampers and delivered mean stiff arms and forearms. Johnson has an extremely strong lower body and doesn’t shy away from contact. The dude is extremely tough. I thought long and hard about a comparison for Johnson, and I would actually go with former BYU quarterback Taysom Hill. They have a similar build and running style.

— Of course, there is still a big question mark with Johnson: Can he excel at the next level as a passer? Well, his stat line wasn’t very impressive as he only completed 50 percent of his passes. But I don’t think it’s as much of an accuracy issue as it is mechanical. It should also be noted that it was a bit windy and play calling from a passing standpoint was extremely conservative. With that said, Johnson struggled throwing the ball in the middle of the field as he missed a couple of open targets. He needs to grow more comfortable in the pocket, set his feet, use his lower body and drive the ball. Johnson did have a pretty 40-yard strike down the sideline, where he was able to rely on his arm talent. Johnson does have a strong arm, but he will need to be groomed overall at the next level.

— Johnson accounted for about 99 percent of his team’s offensive production. No other player carried the ball more than two times in Port Neches-Groves’ victory. Again, Johnson showed great physical and mental toughness as he answered the call every time his team needed the play. While I still feel like he has a ways to go as a passer, Johnson plays in a clone of Tom Herman’s offensive system at PNG, so he will have no problem picking things up when he arrives in Austin. Johnson is also a 4.0 student and an early enrollee, which should help in that regard as well. His mechanics aren’t anything Herman and Tim Beck can’t fix. Yes, Johnson is a high upside take, but he’s exactly what the staff wants from a system fit standpoint.

• Like 1

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag

ANY CURRENT COMMITS TO WORRY ABOUT? — TOPJIMMY

EJ: Obviously, there was a shakeup with the recruitment of four-star defensive back Kenyatta Watson II. With Marcus Banks coming in over the weekend, it appears Watson is going to make some other official visits. It’s a sensitive situation and one to keep an eye on. As I first reported, fellow four-star defensive back Chris Adimora will also make other visits and will actually be at Arizona State this weekend. That’s one to watch as well. Though, I feel good about Texas keeping him. And of course, Javonne Shepherd’s recruitment will have some twists and turns. Remember, he is visiting Texas A&M this weekend.

Mike: Javonne Shepherd will be a sweat until he signs the dotted line. Other than that, I feel like Texas is in pretty good shape despite some visits from other prospects. Watson will be the one to watch, but Jason Washingtonhas been so good in that recruitment, I feel that he will be able to smooth over whatever feelings are there regarding the recruitment of Marcus Banks.

KENYATTA WATSON OR MARCUS BANKS? WHO IS BETTER? I DON’T WANT TO LOSE WATSON! — TRESTEIN_

EJ: I was the first to ever tweet about Banks, so I feel like I have a loyalty to him. However, I’ve seen them both in various settings, and I would side with Watson. He has a more filled out frame, is more physical and is longer. Banks is the best cover corner in the state this cycle, but I would still have him rated in the 30s overall in the state. Watson would definitely be a Top 20 prospect in the state this cycle, in my opinion. I don’t think you can go wrong with either, but I would give Watson the edge.

Mike: I think both are similar players in style of play and athletically. That said, I feel like Watson is just a tick better in each category. That's not to take anything away from Banks who is great from a pure coverage standpoint and a better athlete than people give him credit for.

NOT MUCH AROUND ABOUT TREY SANDERS OF LATE. HOW DOES A COMMITMENT FROM NOAH CAIN SHAKE UP SANDERS’ POSSIBILITY OF COMMITTING TO TEXAS? I COULD SEE A SITUATION WHERE CAIN COMMITS AND DOESN’T WANT ANY MORE BACKS TO COMMIT, BUT TEXAS CAN’T SAY NO TO SANDERS IF HE WANTS TO COME. HOW DO Y’ALL VIEW THIS SITUATION IF IT WERE TO HAPPEN? — CAMERONP2000

EJ: It’s a very interesting situation. I don’t think one is going to commit before the other per se. Remember, Cain and Sanders are good friends and teammates. They are going to keep each other informed throughout the remainder of the process and will make their decisions around the same time before announcing during the early period. I just don’t see that situation happening because of how close they are. I can tell you that Sanders doesn’t mind playing with Cain or being part of a three-back class. And I think Cain is warming up to the idea of playing with Sanders. However, you also have to factor in that Derrian Brown is already committed.

Mike: I just can't get myself to the point where I think Texas has a great shot with Sanders. For that reason, you take the commitment from Cain and move on with two very good backs. If Sanders indeed wants in, Texas would probably find a way to make it work. As EJ said, Trey and Noah talk all of the time, and their plans will not be a surprise to one another.

DO YOU GUYS SEE US GETTING A JUCO OFFENSIVE LINEMAN? IF SO, WHO? OR IS IT DEPENDENT ON GETTING IN ANOTHER RECRUIT, SAY ISAIAH HOOKFIN? — HOOKEM2046

EJ: It doesn’t have anything to do with Hookfin. Ideally, Texas would love to have a JUCO offensive lineman. It’s just about finding the right one. The Longhorns have evaluated several candidates and recently put an offer on the table for Myron Cunningham. I definitely think he’s a possibility as a Texas official visit looks likely. But he's far from a lock.

Mike: I think they would love to get a JUCO lineman, but numbers will eventually be a factor for some position. It would all depend where guys like Bru McCoy, Noah Cain and Jalen Catalonend up. If Texas misses those prospects they can apply those numbers to the line. Ideally they'd like to land Hookfin and a JUCO for immediate depth. I don't expect them to get Cunningham, and I'd guess more names will pop up in the next month.

DL RECRUITING FOR 2019... ARE WE GOING TO LOCK WHAT WE HAVE, PUSH FOR JUCOS TO MAKE IMMEDIATE IMPACT, ETC.? LACK OF PASS RUSH THESE PAST FEW GAMES HAS ME VERY CONCERNED. — 71BRLONGHORN

EJ: Texas doesn’t see defensive line as a big need. I know most of you guys do, but the Longhorns are happy with developmental prospects Peter Mpagiand T’Vondre Sweat. Both are solid. Of course, they would like to land an elite guy like DeMarvin Leal or Faatui Tuiteleand/or flip JUCO product Jacoby Jones from Oklahoma, but I don’t think you’re going to see the defensive line class grow much. One more is likely, and right now, that's looking like Myron Warren barring an LSU offer. Maybe two at the most.

Mike: If they make a move on the defensive line, I think it would be for a JUCO guy. It would have to be the right one, and they aren't going to take someone just to fill a number. I also think Myron Warren will come into play here. LSU has yet to offer, and Texas is really high on the Many, Louisiana product.

WHEN WE HAVE BEEN DOMINANT IN THE PAST, WE HAVE HAD WAR DADDIES ON THE DL. GIVEN THE STRIKING NEED FOR THEM, WHY DO YOU THINK IT HAS BEEN A PROBLEM TO RECRUIT THEM? IS IT THE PERCEPTION OF BIG 12 DEFENSES AND THE BEST DL WOULD RATHER BE IN THE SEC OR SOMETHING ELSE IN YOUR OPINION? — RSWEET0325

EJ: Again, Texas doesn’t view defensive line as a big need this cycle. The 2020 class is much better in-state, and the Longhorns are in a good position early on for guys like Vernon Broughton, Prince Dorbah and Alfred Collins. As far as why it’s been difficult to recruit high level defensive linemen, I think it’s various factors. The SEC is more appealing than the Big 12 for defensive linemen and that conference always produces NFL talent at the position. UT’s scheme might not be the most DL friendly depending on how you look at it. If Texas keeps winning, though, everything will be fine. Like I said, the Longhorns are off to a good start in 2020.

Mike: Defensive line talent has just been down across the board over the last few cycles. 2020 promises a bounce back with several big time prospects on the radar and more set to emerge during the spring. Guys like Dorbah, Broughton and Collins are all archetypes of what SEC teams are recruiting, and Texas is in a great position there.

THROUGH SEVERAL CYCLES, I'VE NOTICED QUITE A FEW INSTANCES IN WHICH A KID'S RECRUITER IS NOT HIS POTENTIAL POSITION COACH. I KNOW THAT THE COACHES HAVE GEOGRAPHIC AREAS THEY'RE RESPONSIBLE FOR BUT I'D THINK A RECRUIT WOULD WANT HIS POSITION COACH TO BE HIS PRIMARY RECRUITER. HOW DOES TEXAS HANDLE THIS? — UTEX83 IN SOFLA

EJ: The position coach is always going to be involved, but sometimes the area recruiter has a better connection with the recruit because he sees him more often. I think a good example in this cycle is Derrian Brown. Jason Washington is the defending Big 12 Recruiter of the Year and clicked with Brown as he made several trips to Georgia. Drayton was also involved, but Washington is one of the best recruiters on staff and is doing a nice job in the Peach State, so Texas used him to its advantage. Tim Beck was key in Arizona with Jake Smith and Brayden Liebrockbecause of his ties to the state. All recruitments are different, but sometimes prospects have stronger bonds with their area recruiters.

Mike: The area recruiter works to make the introduction, and as things get more serious the position coach becomes involved and takes over. As EJ mentioned, the geographical assignments are often utilized because those coaches have connections to certain regions. Things are fluid and can move around based on need. I would point to Craig Naivar being more involved in D-FW because of the amount of safety prospects there. In many cases, recruitments don't typically come down to just one coach doing the work.

ANY INSIGHT ON SAV’ELL SMALLS? I’VE READ HE’S TRIED TO COME TO AUSTIN MULTIPLE TIMES, BUT THINGS KEPT COMING UP. DOES THAT INDICATE BUDDING INTEREST? — JOSEPHD72075841

EJ: Smalls keeps in regular contact with both Todd Orlando and Bryan Carrington. He was actually supposed to come down with his 7v7 coach, but things fell through. Smalls does have some interest, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him eventually make his way to campus.

Mike: It's tough with out-of-state prospects, especially those who live that far away. The good thing for Texas is, he at least appears interested enough to set up multiple visits. The next step is actually getting him on campus.

REAL MOVEMENT WITH THE 2021’S FROM CALIFORNIA OR JUST LOOKING AROUND? — ZACHJOHNSON_27

EJ: I mean, Texas hasn’t offered yet. But yes, they have real interest. I spoke to both Jake Garcia and Anthony Beavers Jr., and they both gave their trip to Austin high marks. If Texas does decide to enter the picture, I think the Longhorns could be major players for both, especially since UT is doing such a great job in California.

Mike: Kids in California are seeing the impact Texas is having, and Bryan Carrington is fostering some strong relationships there. It appears that the Longhorns want to land a couple of West Coast kids per cycle to keep their flag planted in-state, and making those early connections will only help.

WHERE DO YOU SEE TEXAS FINISHING WITH RECRUITING RANKINGS ONCE 2019 RECRUITING IS ALL SAID AND DONE? — RMARKAS

EJ: I definitely think you’ll see Texas finish in the Top 10. If the Longhorns are able to land some key targets like Bru McCoy, Noah Cain, Trey Sanders, etc. they’ll have an opportunity to move into the Top 5. There are still a lot of moving parts both with Texas and other teams, so it’s hard to project. But I don’t see Texas finishing worse than No. 10.

Mike: I think they have an outside shot at the Top 5 depending on how they finish, but I think the safe bet is probably Top 7 or Top 8. I would say that's a very good result for Texas considering the changing dynamics with in-state recruiting.

14 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

— Texas quarterback commit Roschon Johnson stepped up when it mattered most in one of the state’s biggest rivalry games as he led Port Neches-Groves to a 34-21 victory over Nederland in the 95th annual Mid-County Madness matchup. Johnson engineered a second half explosion and made clutch play after clutch play to help his team secure the victory. Johnson finished the game 9-of-18 for 88 yards and an eye-opening 251 yards rushing and five touchdowns. After battling through injuries early in the season, Johnson is fully healthy and once again one of the most dynamic high school football players in the state.

— Johnson is the best running high school quarterback I’ve seen in my seven years covering recruiting. The four-star prospect is built like a powerful running back and ran through tackles with ease. While he’s not super shifty or elusive in the open field, Johnson is a glider and extremely tough to bring down once he breaks past the first level. Johnson literally trucked defenders on his touchdown scampers and delivered mean stiff arms and forearms. Johnson has an extremely strong lower body and doesn’t shy away from contact. The dude is extremely tough. I thought long and hard about a comparison for Johnson, and I would actually go with former BYU quarterback Taysom Hill. They have a similar build and running style.

— Of course, there is still a big question mark with Johnson: Can he excel at the next level as a passer? Well, his stat line wasn’t very impressive as he only completed 50 percent of his passes. But I don’t think it’s as much of an accuracy issue as it is mechanical. It should also be noted that it was a bit windy and play calling from a passing standpoint was extremely conservative. With that said, Johnson struggled throwing the ball in the middle of the field as he missed a couple of open targets. He needs to grow more comfortable in the pocket, set his feet, use his lower body and drive the ball. Johnson did have a pretty 40-yard strike down the sideline, where he was able to rely on his arm talent. Johnson does have a strong arm, but he will need to be groomed overall at the next level.

— Johnson accounted for about 99 percent of his team’s offensive production. No other player carried the ball more than two times in Port Neches-Groves’ victory. Again, Johnson showed great physical and mental toughness as he answered the call every time his team needed the play. While I still feel like he has a ways to go as a passer, Johnson plays in a clone of Tom Herman’s offensive system at PNG, so he will have no problem picking things up when he arrives in Austin. Johnson is also a 4.0 student and an early enrollee, which should help in that regard as well. His mechanics aren’t anything Herman and Tim Beck can’t fix. Yes, Johnson is a high upside take, but he’s exactly what the staff wants from a system fit standpoint.

After reading this scouting report, I’m just going to assume Johnson will set UT passing records and be a marginal runner. 

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

After reading this scouting report, I’m just going to assume Johnson will set UT passing records and be a marginal runner. 

I feel like we already have Johnson on campus (Heard - although he’s not as physical a runner), but I suppose Herman had his reasons for not trying Heard at QB

Edited by Nope

28 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

What's mechanically wrong, EJ? How do you propose he fix his mechanics?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag

Reveal hidden contents

ANY CURRENT COMMITS TO WORRY ABOUT? — TOPJIMMY

EJ: Obviously, there was a shakeup with the recruitment of four-star defensive back Kenyatta Watson II. With Marcus Banks coming in over the weekend, it appears Watson is going to make some other official visits. It’s a sensitive situation and one to keep an eye on. As I first reported, fellow four-star defensive back Chris Adimora will also make other visits and will actually be at Arizona State this weekend. That’s one to watch as well. Though, I feel good about Texas keeping him. And of course, Javonne Shepherd’s recruitment will have some twists and turns. Remember, he is visiting Texas A&M this weekend.

Mike: Javonne Shepherd will be a sweat until he signs the dotted line. Other than that, I feel like Texas is in pretty good shape despite some visits from other prospects. Watson will be the one to watch, but Jason Washingtonhas been so good in that recruitment, I feel that he will be able to smooth over whatever feelings are there regarding the recruitment of Marcus Banks.

KENYATTA WATSON OR MARCUS BANKS? WHO IS BETTER? I DON’T WANT TO LOSE WATSON! — TRESTEIN_

EJ: I was the first to ever tweet about Banks, so I feel like I have a loyalty to him. However, I’ve seen them both in various settings, and I would side with Watson. He has a more filled out frame, is more physical and is longer. Banks is the best cover corner in the state this cycle, but I would still have him rated in the 30s overall in the state. Watson would definitely be a Top 20 prospect in the state this cycle, in my opinion. I don’t think you can go wrong with either, but I would give Watson the edge.

Mike: I think both are similar players in style of play and athletically. That said, I feel like Watson is just a tick better in each category. That's not to take anything away from Banks who is great from a pure coverage standpoint and a better athlete than people give him credit for.

NOT MUCH AROUND ABOUT TREY SANDERS OF LATE. HOW DOES A COMMITMENT FROM NOAH CAIN SHAKE UP SANDERS’ POSSIBILITY OF COMMITTING TO TEXAS? I COULD SEE A SITUATION WHERE CAIN COMMITS AND DOESN’T WANT ANY MORE BACKS TO COMMIT, BUT TEXAS CAN’T SAY NO TO SANDERS IF HE WANTS TO COME. HOW DO Y’ALL VIEW THIS SITUATION IF IT WERE TO HAPPEN? — CAMERONP2000

EJ: It’s a very interesting situation. I don’t think one is going to commit before the other per se. Remember, Cain and Sanders are good friends and teammates. They are going to keep each other informed throughout the remainder of the process and will make their decisions around the same time before announcing during the early period. I just don’t see that situation happening because of how close they are. I can tell you that Sanders doesn’t mind playing with Cain or being part of a three-back class. And I think Cain is warming up to the idea of playing with Sanders. However, you also have to factor in that Derrian Brown is already committed.

Mike: I just can't get myself to the point where I think Texas has a great shot with Sanders. For that reason, you take the commitment from Cain and move on with two very good backs. If Sanders indeed wants in, Texas would probably find a way to make it work. As EJ said, Trey and Noah talk all of the time, and their plans will not be a surprise to one another.

DO YOU GUYS SEE US GETTING A JUCO OFFENSIVE LINEMAN? IF SO, WHO? OR IS IT DEPENDENT ON GETTING IN ANOTHER RECRUIT, SAY ISAIAH HOOKFIN? — HOOKEM2046

EJ: It doesn’t have anything to do with Hookfin. Ideally, Texas would love to have a JUCO offensive lineman. It’s just about finding the right one. The Longhorns have evaluated several candidates and recently put an offer on the table for Myron Cunningham. I definitely think he’s a possibility as a Texas official visit looks likely. But he's far from a lock.

Mike: I think they would love to get a JUCO lineman, but numbers will eventually be a factor for some position. It would all depend where guys like Bru McCoy, Noah Cain and Jalen Catalonend up. If Texas misses those prospects they can apply those numbers to the line. Ideally they'd like to land Hookfin and a JUCO for immediate depth. I don't expect them to get Cunningham, and I'd guess more names will pop up in the next month.

DL RECRUITING FOR 2019... ARE WE GOING TO LOCK WHAT WE HAVE, PUSH FOR JUCOS TO MAKE IMMEDIATE IMPACT, ETC.? LACK OF PASS RUSH THESE PAST FEW GAMES HAS ME VERY CONCERNED. — 71BRLONGHORN

EJ: Texas doesn’t see defensive line as a big need. I know most of you guys do, but the Longhorns are happy with developmental prospects Peter Mpagiand T’Vondre Sweat. Both are solid. Of course, they would like to land an elite guy like DeMarvin Leal or Faatui Tuiteleand/or flip JUCO product Jacoby Jones from Oklahoma, but I don’t think you’re going to see the defensive line class grow much. One more is likely, and right now, that's looking like Myron Warren barring an LSU offer. Maybe two at the most.

Mike: If they make a move on the defensive line, I think it would be for a JUCO guy. It would have to be the right one, and they aren't going to take someone just to fill a number. I also think Myron Warren will come into play here. LSU has yet to offer, and Texas is really high on the Many, Louisiana product.

WHEN WE HAVE BEEN DOMINANT IN THE PAST, WE HAVE HAD WAR DADDIES ON THE DL. GIVEN THE STRIKING NEED FOR THEM, WHY DO YOU THINK IT HAS BEEN A PROBLEM TO RECRUIT THEM? IS IT THE PERCEPTION OF BIG 12 DEFENSES AND THE BEST DL WOULD RATHER BE IN THE SEC OR SOMETHING ELSE IN YOUR OPINION? — RSWEET0325

EJ: Again, Texas doesn’t view defensive line as a big need this cycle. The 2020 class is much better in-state, and the Longhorns are in a good position early on for guys like Vernon Broughton, Prince Dorbah and Alfred Collins. As far as why it’s been difficult to recruit high level defensive linemen, I think it’s various factors. The SEC is more appealing than the Big 12 for defensive linemen and that conference always produces NFL talent at the position. UT’s scheme might not be the most DL friendly depending on how you look at it. If Texas keeps winning, though, everything will be fine. Like I said, the Longhorns are off to a good start in 2020.

Mike: Defensive line talent has just been down across the board over the last few cycles. 2020 promises a bounce back with several big time prospects on the radar and more set to emerge during the spring. Guys like Dorbah, Broughton and Collins are all archetypes of what SEC teams are recruiting, and Texas is in a great position there.

THROUGH SEVERAL CYCLES, I'VE NOTICED QUITE A FEW INSTANCES IN WHICH A KID'S RECRUITER IS NOT HIS POTENTIAL POSITION COACH. I KNOW THAT THE COACHES HAVE GEOGRAPHIC AREAS THEY'RE RESPONSIBLE FOR BUT I'D THINK A RECRUIT WOULD WANT HIS POSITION COACH TO BE HIS PRIMARY RECRUITER. HOW DOES TEXAS HANDLE THIS? — UTEX83 IN SOFLA

EJ: The position coach is always going to be involved, but sometimes the area recruiter has a better connection with the recruit because he sees him more often. I think a good example in this cycle is Derrian Brown. Jason Washington is the defending Big 12 Recruiter of the Year and clicked with Brown as he made several trips to Georgia. Drayton was also involved, but Washington is one of the best recruiters on staff and is doing a nice job in the Peach State, so Texas used him to its advantage. Tim Beck was key in Arizona with Jake Smith and Brayden Liebrockbecause of his ties to the state. All recruitments are different, but sometimes prospects have stronger bonds with their area recruiters.

Mike: The area recruiter works to make the introduction, and as things get more serious the position coach becomes involved and takes over. As EJ mentioned, the geographical assignments are often utilized because those coaches have connections to certain regions. Things are fluid and can move around based on need. I would point to Craig Naivar being more involved in D-FW because of the amount of safety prospects there. In many cases, recruitments don't typically come down to just one coach doing the work.

ANY INSIGHT ON SAV’ELL SMALLS? I’VE READ HE’S TRIED TO COME TO AUSTIN MULTIPLE TIMES, BUT THINGS KEPT COMING UP. DOES THAT INDICATE BUDDING INTEREST? — JOSEPHD72075841

EJ: Smalls keeps in regular contact with both Todd Orlando and Bryan Carrington. He was actually supposed to come down with his 7v7 coach, but things fell through. Smalls does have some interest, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him eventually make his way to campus.

Mike: It's tough with out-of-state prospects, especially those who live that far away. The good thing for Texas is, he at least appears interested enough to set up multiple visits. The next step is actually getting him on campus.

REAL MOVEMENT WITH THE 2021’S FROM CALIFORNIA OR JUST LOOKING AROUND? — ZACHJOHNSON_27

EJ: I mean, Texas hasn’t offered yet. But yes, they have real interest. I spoke to both Jake Garcia and Anthony Beavers Jr., and they both gave their trip to Austin high marks. If Texas does decide to enter the picture, I think the Longhorns could be major players for both, especially since UT is doing such a great job in California.

Mike: Kids in California are seeing the impact Texas is having, and Bryan Carrington is fostering some strong relationships there. It appears that the Longhorns want to land a couple of West Coast kids per cycle to keep their flag planted in-state, and making those early connections will only help.

WHERE DO YOU SEE TEXAS FINISHING WITH RECRUITING RANKINGS ONCE 2019 RECRUITING IS ALL SAID AND DONE? — RMARKAS

EJ: I definitely think you’ll see Texas finish in the Top 10. If the Longhorns are able to land some key targets like Bru McCoy, Noah Cain, Trey Sanders, etc. they’ll have an opportunity to move into the Top 5. There are still a lot of moving parts both with Texas and other teams, so it’s hard to project. But I don’t see Texas finishing worse than No. 10.

Mike: I think they have an outside shot at the Top 5 depending on how they finish, but I think the safe bet is probably Top 7 or Top 8. I would say that's a very good result for Texas considering the changing dynamics with in-state recruiting.

Doing the 247 posters' questions in all caps really brings across the tard-y screaming vibe I've always thought of them having.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2